Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we post in the video game subboard about other games as well? Like tabletop, TCG, P&P RPGs and stuff?

That sounds like a thread for the community section, since it's not about video games. How about a thread title like "Playing *other* (non video) games"?

I started a traditional adventure game thread, if anyone is interested. Much like the Playing Classic RPG's thread, the point is to discuss old and new graphical and text adventures, such as the famous series from LucasArts (Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island,...) and Sierra (King's Quest, Space Quest,...), and newer ones such as Machinarium, Deponia and the very symbolic Broken Age.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/28879-Playing-traditional-adventure-games

So....

There's been a stray kitten hanging around outside the back door for the last week. I've been very, very strong. There are exactly the right number of animals in the house at the moment. There's absolutely no way she's coming indoors. Absolutely no way I'd name her. Absolutely no way I'd ever be posting photos of her in this or any other forum.

Meet Saskia.

@dragonbird: just as I wanted to say hello the post was gone...:-[

Hi Saskia! :welcome: cheers for holding out - she has a heart after all you know.

Here's a little welcome song ("kittens story" by Keiko Yoshinaga):

So....

There's been a stray kitten hanging around outside the back door for the last week. I've been very, very strong. There are exactly the right number of animals in the house at the moment. There's absolutely no way she's coming indoors. Absolutely no way I'd name her. Absolutely no way I'd ever be posting photos of her in this or any other forum.

Meet Saskia.
Yeah, she's a pride beauty. And you, dear DB, keep being strong.... never give up! even facing this sweety eyes.....

She's back out for the night, to see what happens. She had a good meal, but I really don't want to keep her indoors until she's been checked by the vet. She's had a good meal, anyway. If she's still around tomorrow morning, she gets her little alien abduction incident - ride in a mysterious vehicle, probes, all the usual stuff.

Her colouring is almost identical to Jaeger's, and she showed up a month after Sheba passed. I think I'm fated to have one white cat and one calico.

(And yes, oh nameless one, I posted in the other place by mistake. Cat stuff is usually here.)

Not a good picture, but it gives an idea of the relative sizes...

Last edited:
Well congratz again then :D
She's adorable!

I'm in Lilly's hell again: she stopped vomiting for a long time, and now she's restarted. So back with meds, vets, blood in her vomit... back from the beginning basically. And once more, in the same period of job deadlines LOL
I'm a bit desperate. I don't know what to do with her gastritis any more :(
The vet wants me to give her meds via oral. But I don't really know how I am supposed to give her a pill, since she can taste the bad flavour and start to spit and vomit again. Mixing the pills in the food doesn't work the same "you want to trick me and make me eat that shit... nu-uh no way! I'm cunning!" So I'm basically doing this since this morning :wallbash:

secondchildren - can you get the drugs in liquid form? Or ask the vet if they can be crushed and added to distilled water? Gwyn's impossible to pill, worse than any cat, but the syringe down the back of the throat technique works a treat.
What medication is she on? The other technique I've seen discussed in cat forums is DIY capsules, where the owner buys empty capsules and puts the pill inside. It isn't a technique I've ever used, because I've never been able to buy capsules here or in S'pore, but it may be an option. Or maybe there's an alternative brand available in capsule form. It removes the problem of the bad taste.

(And an update. It is now the morning. The food had gone, and Saskia was standing at the back door waiting for more. So that's it, vet visit today, and she stays.)

Last edited:
Long story short. Everyone there looked like themselves as I've seen on the pic/rig thread or looked like their altar. For instance: @Costin was there as looking like Roche, @dragonbird looked like her avatar, @Guy N' Wah looked like a Scotsman, @knightofphoenix was himself or Radovid. @Blothulfur was represented as some red fuzzy heard man. @Glaroug looked like what I guess is that pokemon. And I looked like Gooseman, . Those were just a fee. And there was a lot of drinking involved.

She's on metaclopramide and ranitidine again, since she's in the acute phase. Metaclopramide is for 3 days, ranitidine for one week. Both via injections, but she seems pretty resistant to ranitidine. She vomits the same, less but she does. So the vet today suggested an inhibitor of protonic pump like lansoprazole. Unfortunately it's either pills or capsules. He has spent half an hour today searching for something similar that could be liquid or dissolvable in water.
Yes, I also was thinking to a solution like a syringe to push the liquid directly in the throat or mouth. I used this trick long ago with my passed cat. But I'm afraid it could be harder with Lilly the same. I could open one capsules, and put the powder into some water, then push it into the mouth. It's perhaps the best solution other than using an aromatized suspension. I'm pretty sure that she'll puke anything like lemon, orange, strawberry, licorice or anisette flavour.
The problem with capsules is that Lilly doesn't want me to push anything into the mouth. She will chop one of my finger off.

How much the dose must be? 1/4 than human dose? the vet forgot to tell.

Long story short. Everyone there looked like themselves as I've seen on the pic/rig thread or looked like their altar. For instance: @Costin was there as looking like Roche, @dragonbird looked like her avatar, @Guy N' Wah looked like a Scotsman, @knightofphoenix was himself or Radovid. @Blothulfur was represented as some red fuzzy heard man. @Glaroug looked like what I guess is that pokemon. And I looked like Gooseman, . Those were just a fee. And there was a lot of drinking involved.

So how was that weird? I do look like my avatar, and I've always assumed everyone else does too.
Oh, I get it. The drinking. I don't drink IRL.

secondchildren - the advantage of the syringe is that it bypasses the taste buds if you get it far enough in, they can't bite through it, and it's very fast compared to pills, so much less stressful, You should phone the vet regarding the dosage.

Incidentally, when Ebony's gastric problems went acute, the best results I ever had was with prednisone. The dosage was tiny, and only once every two days over an eight-day period. It may have been a different problem though, she had IBD.

Last edited:
SC, well it isn't easy at all. When I have to give any pill to my cats I just do it drastically, opening their mouth and put the pill (or the liquid with a rubber syringe) directly into their throat. And always having their favorite premium food beside me to reward them after.. I have to say that I practize this technique very carefully and with a deep knowlodge about biology and psicology of my cats. They, thankfully to me, trust me a lot!

secondchildren - the advantage of the syringe is that it bypasses the taste buds if you get it far enough in, they can't bite through it, and it's very fast compared to pills, so much less stressful, You should phone the vet regarding the dosage.

Incidentally, when Ebony's gastric problems went acute, the best results I ever had was with prednisone. The dosage was tiny, and only once every two days over an eight-day period. It may have been a different problem though, she had IBD.

Thank you, will try as you suggested. Well she can bite the syringe eventually if my fingers stay where they are :D

Wichat - I know, but in my experience, with my passed cat, trying to push the pills into the throat is almost impossible since they don't collaborate. Lilly is especially stubborn in this. Stubborn like a spoiled baby. I asked the vet to change ranitidine pills with injections because when I tried to push the pill in the throat, she spit it out, regurgitated, her face had that "ew" expression, her eyes tearing... and she spilled the house with saliva. A mess.

Incidentally, I also tend to associate people real face with their avatars. If only I hadn't seen some of your real face (yours, for example, dragonbird xD )
however... probably that's how a moderator should look like: scary like a dragon ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom