Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Henry Cavill is gonna play Geralt? I think with proper direction he will do fine. He has the looks, it's his biggest asset, but if handled poorly he can't act.

So Henry Cavill is gonna play Geralt? I think with proper direction he will do fine. He has the looks, it's his biggest asset, but if handled poorly he can't act.
He's also a Witcher fan, from what I hear. I hope he'll do the role justice.

Seems like a pretty solid choice to me. I actually like him as Superman. Those movies have other issues, but I've never thought the actors were part of the problem. And he's been good in several other roles.

He's a fan of the games and subsequently the books like many of us here. He almost lost the role for Superman because he was grinding on WoW when he got that call. All this in interviews (check IGN for the witcher part where he says he would love to play Geralt at that time, now we know he has been cast since the past four months)
I still have high hopes for this, should turn out great.

I'm not stopping preordering CDPR games. Watch me!

And hi all, I thought I'd drop by to see if this place is still alive. Might be related to me starting up TW3 again two days ago. ;)

I feel Cavil's too big and bulky for the role, doesn't have the face shape either, he looks too pampered to be Geralt.

Witcher  Casr.jpg

Nikolaj Coster would've been a better fit imo.

I dunno 'bout any of that, but I wish this thread and the pizza thread would be combined in some bizarre incident to become the Hairy Pizza Thread. Pics compulsory.

Ran into this documentary on one of the most famous detectives in the world, or rather his (most well-known) actor.

It's long, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Ran into this documentary on one of the most famous detectives in the world, or rather his (most well-known) actor.t.
Ah, late, as usual, but to return to this:

I can't pretend to have followed Suchet's entire quarter-century in the role, but I've seen him in more than a few episodes. His portrayal offers a fascinating study in eccentricity, not merely in the character, but also -- with due respect for his considerable talent as a character actor -- to him, and the curious devotion of his audience.

Poirot -- and his interpreter -- is held in justifiable esteem. But. . . the question remains: How does he compare to Sherlock Holmes? Good Heavens!

How does he compare to Sherlock Holmes?
I can't say I'm familiar with Holmes, except for some things. Also, Hercule Poirot was the first fictional detective (not counting Nancy Drew) I "discovered".

He's quite simply brilliant, and I truly don't think he'll ever stop being my #1 favourite in that genre.

He's quite simply brilliant, and I truly don't think he'll ever stop being my #1 favourite in that genre.
Ah, well, then, once we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Conan Doyle's mysteries are worth a read.

There can be only one...
...so bad, it should be wiped from existence.

That stings. Like acid in my ocular membranes.

I'll cede that it's highly stylized, so not for everyone. The chemistry between the actors is really good, and I love how they brought the energy of the books to the modern audience. Perhaps a little bit too much liberty taken at times. I can't stand most Victorian literature, despite liking many of the actual stories.

chemistry
Thanks, you've just given me an idea for a joke. :p

Anyway, back to the topic at hand; detectives. Agatha Christie's detectives, to be exact, because like I said I don't really know Holmes.
While Poirot is by far my favourite, I do also like Miss Marple. She's such a sharp old lady. I think one clear similarity between her and Poirot is that both of them appear harmless, but in reality are extremely dangerous opponents if you're a bad guy. Part of the reason I like detective stories is that the main characters rely on brains rather than brawn when solving crimes. I can't recall Poirot or Marple ever using a physical weapon, though I may be forgetting something (or never read some stories).

Thanks, you've just given me an idea for a joke. :p

Anyway, back to the topic at hand; detectives. Agatha Christie's detectives, to be exact, because like I said I don't really know Holmes.
While Poirot is by far my favourite, I do also like Miss Marple. She's such a sharp old lady. I think one clear similarity between her and Poirot is that both of them appear harmless, but in reality are extremely dangerous opponents if you're a bad guy. Part of the reason I like detective stories is that the main characters rely on brains rather than brawn when solving crimes. I can't recall Poirot or Marple ever using a physical weapon, though I may be forgetting something (or never read some stories).

I'm wary of jokes that start with "acid"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom