Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tommy, very cool! Now, I get no sleep for two days, because my local patriots want to blow shit up. I should be French.

Seriously. I love the French, get me the hell out of here....

They started around here last weekend ! It`s not so bad from 9 - 11 PM , but at 2 AM ....give me a break ! :rant:

Happy July the 4th to our US witchers! Enjoy the day off, and be careful with the fireworks!

Thank you ! I don`t do fireworks anymore so i`ll l;eave that to the younger generation .

Fireworks: celebrate your country's birthday by blowing up a small part of it.

Don't remember where that's from. Probably the Simpsons.

Last edited:
Yeah, this fireworks thingie doesn´t make much sense...

Why don´t you celebrate by remembering old traditions and throw crates full of tea to the sea?? :troll:

Yeah, this fireworks thingie doesn´t make much sense...

Why don´t you celebrate by remembering old traditions and throw crates full of tea to the sea?? :troll:

Now that your're talking about old and odd traditions, do the rest of you have bonfires and fireworks on Halloween? I know we do and don't ask me why, I've never understood why we do that over here!

I enjoy Halloween. Usually I'll fire up a game like Amnesia, watch horror flicks and cook up a traditional Scandinavian meal, which seems fitting for the fall weather. Then I dress up like a ballerina and go trick or treating. People just love my ballerina suit.

Here we don´t have any tradition for Halloween. It´s simply not a special day for us.
These last few years there have been some Halloween-related costume parties, bar decorations, and such (globalization FTW). But no tradition such as trick or treating, bonfires, or anything like that.

I enjoy Halloween. Usually I'll fire up a game like Amnesia, watch horror flicks and cook up a traditional Scandinavian meal, which seems fitting for the fall weather. Then I dress up like a ballerina and go trick or treating. People just love my ballerina suit.

I bet all the dads give you candy laced with rufies.
@AL890: I would kill anyone who dumped delicious tea into the harbour.

I bet all the dads give you candy laced with rufies.
@AL890: I would kill anyone who dumped delicious tea into the harbour.

I was just thumbing up his mocking of the Yanks! How are we supposed to complain about how shit the world is without a good cuppa in hand?

We have fireworks for all special occasions, but especially at Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. The world goes crazy from around 11pm to 1am.

Seems the smoke from the grill slightly blinded me, you're forgiven. But not you, Argentinian man.

Tea is no joke.

Hey, blame your ancestors!! They did the tea crates dumping! :harhar:
I just mentioned that odd liberty-celebrating tradition... :troll:

Hey, blame your ancestors!! They did the tea crates dumping! :harhar:
I just mentioned that odd liberty-celebrating tradition... :troll:

The "tea parties" were a phenomenon brought on by the mess that the East India Company made of the 18th C. trade in tea.

Because there was an entrenched black market in tea in both Britain and the Colonies, the East India Company could not sell their expensive (and heavily taxed) tea. So they tried to dump tea at a loss in the Colonies, which would have put legitimate merchants out of business and undercut the smugglers.

It ended up in a standoff, with three ships unable to unload their tea and unable to leave without doing so. Reason and cooler heads did not prevail, and 342 chests of tea were offloaded -- into Boston harbor.

The real heroes of the "tea parties" were the Colonial women, who made the boycott stick by refusing to buy East India Company tea at any price.

Yeah, but wasn´t the Boston Tea Party mainly provoked by the new tax imposed by the British crown to tea sales in the colonies? That´s what eventually led to the Independence War and, thus, to the July 4th fireworks.

Yeah, but wasn´t the Boston Tea Party mainly provoked by the new tax imposed by the British crown to tea sales in the colonies? That´s what eventually led to the Independence War and, thus, to the July 4th fireworks.

The real problem was the attempt to give the East India Company a monopoly on tea. The fact that it was taxed (at 5d/lb, just a twelfth of what the English paid) was used as justification for the boycott, but the real reason was the blow to independent merchants and smugglers. Smuggling tea was big business in the 18th Century.

Parliament's response to the notoriety of the Boston Tea Party was the "Intolerable Acts", which closed Boston harbor and abridged other civil rights in Massachusetts. This caused aggrieved Colonials to form the First Continental Congress, which called for a (successful) boycott of all British goods. (It was the Second Continental Congress that declared independence, making the foundation of the July 4th holiday.)

Again, the Colonial women held the power of the market, and it was they who made the boycott effective.

Right, enough of these country topics! I'm going to finally give The Witcher 1 another chance. I'm starting a new game on Easy mode just to get the story and port it over to my next playthrough of The Witcher 2. You might not see me for a while! :lol:

Right, enough of these country topics! I'm going to finally give The Witcher 1 another chance. I'm starting a new game on Easy mode just to get the story and port it over to my next playthrough of The Witcher 2. You might not see me for a while! :lol:

But this is the inn, where we talk about anything and everything BUT games ...

Oh look, a nutter on social media... Must be the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom