Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Corylea said:
He'd evidently learned some grammar and vocabulary, but he pronounced French as if it were German!
Yup, my French teacher was also my German teacher, Religion, social studies and what not...He did the same thing.I admit I tried to get away from that class on a regular basis :-[On the other hand it did give me a smattering of french that makes a french friend of mine cringe. Especially when I take out the insults :angel:

TheSilver said:
Yup, my French teacher was also my German teacher, Religion, social studies and what not...He did the same thing.
And did your school have a cow? :D
On the other hand it did give me a smattering of french that makes a french friend of mine cringe. Especially when I take out the insults :angel:
*laugh* Badly-pronounced insults must be especially hilarious!

TheSilver said:
Especially when I take out the insults :angel:
Your father smelt of elderberries. *random thought*All of my teachers could pronounce the language well, I just didn't really end up with anything. I was good through my second year, but my third year (when I had a teacher whose first language was Spanish) I went backwards about six or seven years of Spanish. Anytime we had to write anything in English, I'd use really obscure vocabulary and difficult verb tenses just to mess with the "teacher." The guy was a complete asshole and incapable of doing his job. He gave me a B. If I knew where he lived, there would be arson.

my problem was that i grew up bilingual, but school was always unilingual ... so when i was young, french schools outside quebec were rare, and it made sense to have me attend english schools as we moved a lot. All i wanted out of french class was to improve my reading, spelling and grammar, i didn't need an anglophone trying to teach me how to pronounce stuff (incorrectly) *sighthen in grade nine, i went to one school (on a canadian army base) that actually had a stream of french for people just like me -- best course i ever took! we had a teacher who had a doctorate in french literature, i remember him to this day: Dr. Bernard Langdon-Lemieux :wave: ... he did what no other french teacher had, re-ignited my desire to perfect my french sadly, we moved away the next year and it was back to regular old french classes ... no amount of convincing of any principals ever did a thing to even allow me to skip more than one grade, so i just sat at the back and spoke when spoken to..... and Quixote, i hear you on the professional degree score! i did a masters in library studies (wanna compare notes on boring and unnecessary courses?) ;D

@Artreri, where have I heard that before? :hmmm:Ahh, yes, we bilinguals don't have it easy, he?I know what you are talking aboot, game widow.My first "official" english teacher needed a dictionary to translate Guinea pig ::)For some reason Silver is feeling mellow now and perfers to refer to him in the third person.Sometimes Silver is like that...

You'll never take me alive!Why?Because my favorite colour is blue... ahm, green....AHHHHHHHBut I'm colorblllllliiiiinnnnnddddd......

Sil, all you need to do is find someone who's never heard of Monty Python, and your reputation as a comedian will be made! :teeth:

Monty Python?That was me falling from the chair. Colorblindness gets me in all kind of trouble.Problem is with the people I know and attract, knowing Monty Python seems to be required.I'll never forget the one that expected the Spanish Inquisition.

TheSilver said:
Problem is with the people I know and attract, knowing Monty Python seems to be required.
I don't know what things are like in your generation, but in mine, far more boys watched the Pythons than girls. If that's still true, you should probably grab any girl you encounter who can match you line for line. ;)

:hmmm:If I can count correctly that would be two. Both loooonng gone.Methinks that most of "my generation" never heard about them. My few friends are a select group.

TheSilver said:
TheSilver said:
(Er, that's a compliment. :D)
Never would've figured. :teeth:
Well, the things I call "ordinary," "pedestrian" or "plain," other people usually call "normal." On the one hand, this helps me appreciate the beautifully special people I meet. On the other hand, I've fallen for more than one man with a major mental illness.Ah, plusses and minuses, how I do not love thee! :D

Cory, it worked! Just keep this in mind, Sil: You nicknames could be Sillie, Silvia, Silvio, and any number of other names that I doubt you would like any more.

ArtreriGreyjoy said:
Cory, it worked!
It's a CONSPIRACY!!
ArtreriGreyjoy said:
Just keep this in mind, Sil: You nicknames could be Sillie, Silvia, Silvio, and any number of other names that I doubt you would like any more.
I've been called worse, although Sillie is rather amusing. :teeth:

ArtreriGreyjoy said:
Just keep this in mind, Sil: You nicknames could be Sillie, Silvia, Silvio, and any number of other names that I doubt you would like any more.
Oh, nice one, Artreri! I especially like "Sillie."
ArtreriGreyjoy said:
ArtreriGreyjoy said:
Cory, it worked!
It's a CONSPIRACY!!
Yeah, it's a conspiracy to pay attention to you. I know you hate it, just hate it! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom