Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
volsung;n7311520 said:
And in Germany you also get to have beer during work hours. This truly is a wonderful place.

That's a good idea. I remember that I was surprised when I was at business travel in Sweden ,was allawed to drink beer during lunch break. In Polish branch it's not allowed - are they thinking that we go over the line or what? :D Well...maybe there's sth in it. Today I really had a feeling that few sips of vodka would help me not to go crazy until the working will be over.

volsung;n7311520 said:
One of the best reasons to get a PhD and work in academia is that getting up early is rarely necessary. And in Germany you also get to have beer during work hours. This truly is a wonderful place.

And right now we're having a christmas party. And it's taking all of my mental strength to type this, if you get my meaning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feuerzangenbowle
Terrible, terrible stuff.

On the topic of education and work shifts... I'm still debating whether to learn a trade skill, or go to college and get a degree in computer science. Pro of computer science is I will earn a higher income, and can pick up a minor in humanities (the subject I actually want to study). Pro of trade skills is I will start earning money now, and won't have college debt (which is very high in America - around $30,000 - $40,000 USD per student).

Problem is, I will be 24 in three months. And it's a little late in life to be starting school.

Anyways, I'm taking a computer science course next semester at university. I'll see how I like it.

It's not all that bad with working shifts. I just experienced that today. Yes, it's super annoying to wake up at 2.30 AM (is it actually late or early?), but oh the joy when it's 8 AM and you realize that your working day is already half way through when you finally get your eyes open! Only thing you can do after that, is smile :)

It's also very easy to avoid rush hours while driving or shopping. It's very quiet in shops at 7 AM on Saturday when you just got off from work...

I'm also not compatible with school, so I don't know which one is worse to me, study long and hard or wake up way before the sun rise.

M4xw0lf;n7312810 said:

I tried it once last year at the christmas market. Never again.

Phinnway
Computer (computing) science is a very large and diverse area with many different topics and applications, from science to industry to infrastructure and programming, so don't be too disappointed if this particular course doesn't match your expectations. On the other hand, why not go for humanities if that's what you want? If you're going to put time and effort (and money) into anything, it better be something you enjoy.

volsung;n7322250 said:
I tried it once last year at the christmas market. Never again.
Did you 'try' half a dozen cups that once? ;D

Ours was high quality stuff yesterday - no headaches and stuff ;)

volsung Short version? Because of money. With a degree in humanities I only have a 20% chance of getting employed as a college teacher, and outside of teaching humanities has no marketability. To be a college teacher would have to go to school for 6 years, which means I would accrue even more debt. Also, as I said earlier, I am already 23 and it is a little late in my life to be starting school.

Trying to become a highschool teacher would be bad for different reasons. For one, my degree would be in education, not in humanities. And there are countless other reasons why I don't want to be a highschool teacher that are too numerous to mention. Undisciplined students, bitchy parents, workplace politics, and more.

Gilrond-i-Virdan Just my local university, unless I get a better opportunity elsewhere. My local university just so happens to host the world's largest annual medieval studies conference, so I might pick up a minor in medieval history if I went there. I checked with my brother, who is attending one of the best computer science schools in the country, and he said my local university's computer science program should be fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...dieval_Studies

btw, for anyone who doesn't know. In American higher education, you get 60 credits in a major, 30 credits in a minor, and 30 credits in elective courses. Each class is worth 3 - 4 credits depending on the course. I don't know if things are different in Europe, so I figured I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Phinnway;n7325900 said:
My local university just so happens to host the world's largest annual medieval studies conference,
That's rather handy. I've often heard good things about Kalamazoo -- apart from the hilarious name. As a mediaevalist, I am obliged, of course, to recommend the study -- if only for the personal enjoyment it offers.

Damn you DHL, Damn you and all other courier firms to hell. Which is ironic because you probably work for Satan anyways.

eskiMoe;n7333490 said:
Damn you DHL, Damn you and all other courier firms to hell. Which is ironic because you probably work for Satan anyways.

That's why you should have done your shopping last month.

Riven-Twain;n7327520 said:
That's rather handy. I've often heard good things about Kalamazoo -- apart from the hilarious name. As a mediaevalist, I am obliged, of course, to recommend the study -- if only for the personal enjoyment it offers.
Yes, apparently we have a really good beer scene? Also - We were the #1 Russian nuke target during the cold war, so there must be something good about us* :)

Okay... in reality we were the #1 nuke target because one EMP targeted at Kalamazoo would knock out electricity in both Detroit and Chicago, but whatever...

If I might ask, are you a legitimate medievalist? Or a hobbyist one?

Well, the mood is still perfect :) Lots of chocolate and mustard covered ham! Now just to wait that Santa pays us a visit.

Happy holidays to everyone!

ReptilePZ;n7340680 said:
Wow, the new forum layout looks really... Christmas-y, I guess :p

Anyway, just dropping by to wish everyone happy holidays :)

Good to see you finally showing up you scaly bastard! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom