Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
My gift list:

Final Fantasy 15 (now playing) and Tales of Zestiria games, one cd, two books, chocolate, chocolate, socks, Star Wars mug, towels...

I got a mug with my name inscribed upon it, three coffee thermoses, coffee beans and condiments, two books, a blanket, and a lot of clothes.

Phinnway;n7334450 said:
If I might ask, are you a legitimate medievalist? Or a hobbyist one?
Thanks for asking. Technically, my degree and reading are in Mediaeval Studies, but, as of late, the pursuit has become more of a hobby -- so, at present, both.

(As for gifts this year, really not much to report: Mostly red wine.)

Hello again,
ReptilePZ !

Last edited:
George Michael and Carrie Fisher dead in two days... Everything sucks.

Careless Whispers on repeat all evening.

Watched the Freddie Mercury tribute show yesterday to mourn George and Bowie at the same time, such a shame.

Last edited:
Sunsibar;n7353840 said:
If I drink wine, head ache is the first one that kills me. Not the alcohol :D
Alcohol and headaches are most certainly unrelated, yes.

:smiling2:
Riven-Twain;n7354900 said:
Obviously, you have many considerate and deeply compassionate friends. Either that, or they're all witchers . . . .

Family and wife - no witchering at all there. I think I stand by my first hypothesis. :sad:

Riven-Twain;n7353090 said:
Thanks for asking. Technically, my degree and reading are in Mediaeval Studies, but, as of late, the pursuit has become more of a hobby -- so, at present, both.!
Nice. I, myself, am a hobbyist medievalist. I've studied medieval history on and off through the years. Last semester I wrote quite a few papers about Irish monasteries just for fun. I learned quite a bit from my research.

I've wanted to study medieval history since highschool. But I never did because humanities isn't very marketable. After many years, I finally decided to go to school for a STEM degree instead. I figure earning a stable income matters more for happiness than following your passion. Besides, being a true intellectual comes from a lifetime devoted to the pursuit of knowledge, rather than from a degree. As Plutarch said, "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled."

I spent a nice and quiet xmas at home with my wife. Neither one of us particularly cares about it, and we utterly dislike the religious aspect. We like the traditional meals and family time so we had a simple atheist xmas with a wonderful dinner for two. We also don't do tons of xmas presents (we buy each other stuff during the year anyway) but she gave me a bottle of whiskey and I got her tequila.

Other than that and if anyone wants to know, I've been very interested in certain crazy things people still believe in nowadays, including conservative, religious fanaticism and conspiracy theories. I have talked to some (and seen countless online videos) and I am shocked and mind blown at their views of the world, their prejudice against science and lack of understanding of elementary concepts in, say, evolution. This fascinates me from a cognitive and computational perspective: their ability to reason logically and incorporate seemingly simple, unambiguous observations appears to be suspended! Perhaps if we understand this serious mental handicap, we can better understand and model rational choice and efficient learning.

M4xw0lf;n7360150 said:
Family and wife - no witchering at all there.
Are you quite certain about that? Weren't you the one who had your wedding in the Swamp Forest near Vizima, complete with drowners and ribbons?

Phinnway;n7361370 said:
Nice. I, myself, am a hobbyist medievalist. I've studied medieval history on and off through the years. Last semester I wrote quite a few papers about Irish monasteries just for fun. I learned quite a bit from my research.

I've wanted to study medieval history since highschool. But I never did because humanities isn't very marketable. After many years, I finally decided to go to school for a STEM degree instead. I figure earning a stable income matters more for happiness than following your passion. Besides, being a true intellectual comes from a lifetime devoted to the pursuit of knowledge, rather than from a degree. As Plutarch said, "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled."
Commendable interests, and very pragmatic perspective on a career! Sadly, it is indeed true that the Humanities are generally undervalued on the market -- since, as you rightly observe, the worth of knowledge is rather difficult to quantify. Personally, my studies in heroic literature (legends, myths, romances, etc.) stemmed not from any occupational prospects -- which are very few -- but because I genuinely enjoy contemplating and meditating upon the material. I hope you shall still be able to pursue your mediaeval interests, while earning a decent living -- which is, after all, rather handy!

volsung;n7361510 said:
I am shocked and mind blown at their views of the world, their prejudice against science and lack of understanding of elementary concepts in, say, evolution.

Not to go into the whole discourse on how different religions view scientific knowledge, evolution is a verifiable process, so it's pretty hard to dispute its existence. Sensible religious thinkers usually dispute not its existence, but theory of evolution of all species from common primitive ancestry like microorganisms and etc. I.e. while mutations or other forms of species evolution are verifiable (example), theory of for example evolution of consciousness / intelligence from micro-organic life forms is easily disputable.

Last edited:
Wait what, am I actually reading some hardcore scientific/philosophical discussion in the Hairy Bear Inn? In THE BEAR?

Well that's precisely the point. Intelligent religious thinkers dispute what they can, not what they want. Despite there being a solid body of literature on the evolution of the human brain and many cognitive functions, some concepts like "consciousness" are loosely defined and somewhat philosophical, so they overlap with philosophy/religion. As a scientist I can respect serious religious thinkers, there was a time in history when that's all we had.

Ultimately the issue is not whether everything we perceive has already been explained, but what kind of explanations we are looking for. The ones that suggest or depend on external input from an unexplainable/unverifiable source are simply not admissible in science, because they don't explain anything and require subscribing to an ideology. They might still be worth pursuing for other reasons though.

What shocks me are the lengths some people are willing to go to, to reject and deny basic concepts. There's a lady on YT for example, who teaches her kid that dinosaurs are really dragons, and that they lived with humans because legends and drawings "prove" it. There are others who believe all science is made up by freemasons to overthrow christianity. And then there are groups like answers in genesis, etc. People are free to believe in the tooth fairy if they want to, but sadly these people have kids and vote.

Now about the hairy Bear, this place used to be full of interesting topics, not just spam :)

Last edited:
volsung;n7363700 said:
Now about the hairy Bear, this place used to be full of interesting topics, not just spam :)
Really? I've probably forgotten that. I just remember the cat memes and other bullshittery. :p

Anyhoo, DHL finally delivered.

And now I'm off to work. Looking forward to opening the package when I get back home. :)

volsung;n7363700 said:
Ultimately the issue is not whether everything we perceive has already been explained, but what kind of explanations we are looking for. The ones that suggest or depend on external input from an unexplainable/unverifiable source are simply not admissible in science, because they don't explain anything and require subscribing to an ideology. They might still be worth pursuing for other reasons though.

Indeed. Here religious method differs from at least common scientific method. As Kuzari put it, philosopher (in his terms, referring to school of rational philosophy, or in this context, someone using the scientific method), has to get from observations to the source. While sages (i.e. religious thinkers), have to get from the source to observations.

volsung;n7364640 said:
Looks really beaten. Hope you ordered pillows or towels and not electronics.

Also, Japan!?

Ordered some Japanese textbooks and everything was in order including the audio CDs that came with the books. And I ordered them from Amazon JP because even after the shipping costs and taxes they were still much cheaper than ordering from within EU.

The small joys of life:

Sitting comfortably on the couch and playing a good video game. Feeling sad that you have to quit soon and go to work (real life always spoils everything fun), but just this one more quest before I stop... And then the boss calls!

B: Is it anyway possible that you could come to work few hours later, because we need to work longer today? Pretty please, if just possible? Please? Please?

M: Hmm, let me think... YES!

Those were some nice extra gaming hours :)

Sunsibar;n7376240 said:
B: Is it anyway possible that you could come to work few hours later, because we need to work longer today? Pretty please, if just possible? Please? Please?
I tend to have a slightly different experience: 'Is there any way you could show up earlier, and then also stay later?'

Congratulations on your extra gaming time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom