Went ahead and bought the first book.

+
Went ahead and bought the first book.

So since I've beaten the game and have been messing around in the world and finishing up some side quests and the like, I came to the conclusion that I really want to explore the lore behind Geralt a lot more. Just went to Barne's and Noble to pick up "The Last Wish". I hope it helps fill this void while I'm waiting for the expansions. Anyone read all of the books? I'm sure most have.

I've read nearly all of them - including the last two books in the saga that are pretty good fan translations. "Season of Storms," a new book that was released two years ago, has been partially translated by fans and I've read most of that. I found them all enjoyable, especially the short stories.

Very good series so far, just finished the two short story collections. Hopefully will find copy of Blood of Elves soon... The only thing I don't like about them is the generic fantasy and imo ugly covers...but that's a superficial complaint.

Something in me dies when I read comments like that... :cry:

Easily amongst the best fantasy literature you can get.

It's the game forum, I was commenting on them in the context of the game. My point was Having read them I enjoyed the game more. Also I thought that CDPR was fairly consistent in their portrayal of the characters.

I read all last wish, sword of destiny and the saga in 2 weeks, and that's because of how engaging the story was. Fantastic books I agree.

I'm reading the first book right now. I having exploring the games first . As I'm reading I can hear Geralt. It's wonderful. What's even more wonderful is that the book is actually very good. I wish I knew polish simply because I know they have alot more swears in the books we don't have translations for. That's why in the games alot of profanity is spouted and there isn't that much of it.

So since I've beaten the game and have been messing around in the world and finishing up some side quests and the like, I came to the conclusion that I really want to explore the lore behind Geralt a lot more. Just went to Barne's and Noble to pick up "The Last Wish". I hope it helps fill this void while I'm waiting for the expansions. Anyone read all of the books? I'm sure most have.

Just wait - they're all coming out in English soon (if they're not out already - I got advance copies a while ago).

I'm actually part of a team planning a whole series of quest mods when Redkit2 comes out, that will be based on the books. So anyone reading them with suggestions, or anyone who is into modding and wants to join, it's going down!

The books are generally awesome. In many ways, better than the games.

I cant even imagine what it would be like to start with the games first :p

Something in me dies when I read comments like that... :cry:

Easily amongst the best fantasy literature you can get.

Ohh come on dont be such a killjoy :D :D

The games have a lot of issues (though not as big as you or I think in the grand scheme of things). But as far as remediation goes, they are bloody excellent and most things CAN be fixed (most, not all).

I also just recently purchased the first book. I didn't play the 1st Witcher, barely scratched the second because it felt too linear and not open enough, and have the 3rd installed but haven't really touched it except to optimize the settings in preparation for when I do :geek:. I always wait a bit with new games like this because I know that the first couple of months will have major patches and quality updates and I'd rather wait for those to be implemented first. Also, the Mod community normally starts to really build and refine things in the first 3-4 months. Anyway, once finish Dragons of Autumn Twilight which is the first of like 100 books lol (50 pages left), I'm going to switch to the Witcher books to prepare for what I think is going to be a fantastic time playing this game now that I recently finished Dragon Age Inquisition after putting in 135 hours there :happy:

I started reading The Last Wish a couple days ago.. little over halfway through. I was a little surprised to find that Geralt and Dandilion have both had their sexism toned down a bit for the game. Also noted that a lot of the writing feels needlessly erotic... For ex,
"so and so was stabbed in the chest" was written as "she was stabbed right between her breasts" or something along those lines.
For the first couple stories I was wondering if Sapkowski was capable of describing a female character without going into detail about her chest. It's overall pretty good, though one story
(the one with the child bride)
felt very cartoonish. I know I'm uttering sacrilege, but I'm not particularly impressed yet. But obviously, I am a fan of the world he came up with... it's translated extremely well into games, and I look forward to starting on the comics.

I've read them twice and i can recommend them.
The humor of the autor is great and he creates a very deep and adult fantasy world.
The most funniest things i think are the paralles to our "modern" world.

I've made up with my mind that i will read the books every year. :)

The story in the witcher 3 is already very deep but the books adds a new way of looking.
So i hope you enjoy the books. :cheers:

All sevens ( the eighth will be bought soon) after playing the first game. And after reading the books replaying the both games more than twice. CDPR created a new present for Geralt but never denied his past and how strong Sapkowski's world is always influencing them,

BTW... don't stop on the first book. :p

With out doubt my favorite books of all time. I re read them every time a new one is translated.
You can play the games without having read them but they enhance the story and characters so much.
Really helps you understand some major characters especially Dijkstra, the sorceresses even Radovid.
Most of Witcher 3 depends on the saga.

I can see why people who haven't read the books prefer Triss over Yeniffer. Sorry wichat.

I'm glad so many of you guys get to know at least some of the Polish literature thanks to Witcher games :)

And what a piece of literature it is. I wish you could read it in Polish, as Sapkowski shows realy mastery in recreating old, archaic forms of Polish language. Especially in the dialogues.

With out doubt my favorite books of all time. I re read them every time a new one is translated.
You can play the games without having read them but they enhance the story and characters so much.
Really helps you understand some major characters especially Dijkstra, the sorceresses even Radovid.
Most of Witcher 3 depends on the saga.

I can see why people who haven't read the books prefer Triss over Yeniffer. Sorry wichat.

No need to apologize. If I put myself in the mind of a unreader books it's obvious that Triss is the unique girl of the Witcher's aga possible. I never worry about player choice, but the whole lack of Yen's info about her past with Geralt during 25 years (with all the ups and downs) and how were his feelings for her, recovering his memory he seems only remember her name a ittle more else. That's private the gamers a fair choice. Triss has had 8 years of marketing all around the world and she only senpds with Geralt 2 months of realtionship (all in the games).

But how to fix all that in one game? Better read the books, and then make your choice in TW3 ;) One thing I cannot do for sure is ignoring what I know about Yen, just because she wasn't in previous games, see what I mean? :p

No need to apologize. If I put myself in the mind of a unreader books it's obvious that Triss is the unique girl of the Witcher's aga possible. I never worry about player choice, but the whole lack of Yen's info about her past with Geralt during 25 years (with all the ups and downs) and how were his feelings for her, recovering his memory he seems only remember her name a ittle more else. That's private the gamers a fair choice. Triss has had 8 years of marketing all around the world and she only senpds with Geralt 2 months of realtionship (all in the games).

But how to fix all that in one game? Better read the books, and then make your choice in TW3 ;) One thing I cannot do for sure is ignoring what I know about Yen, just because she wasn't in previous games, see what I mean? :p

Try not to give me any spoiler's with your response if it's at all possible, but how far along into the books does Geralt meet Triss? I'm only about a quarter of the way through Last Wish. I'm excited to replay the game again after I've read a couple of the books, hoping the thing's I've read will alter the decisions I've made in the first play through.

Try not to give me any spoiler's with your response if it's at all possible, but how far along into the books does Geralt meet Triss? I'm only about a quarter of the way through Last Wish. I'm excited to replay the game again after I've read a couple of the books, hoping the thing's I've read will alter the decisions I've made in the first play through.

Sadly, Triss has short presence in books (if you take the all 7) in comparison to Geralt, Ciri or Yen, or even Jaskier, and she's portrayed in a different way she is by CDPR. If I tell you more I'd give you spoilers :p

Top Bottom