Were the expansions better than main game?

+
Were the expansions better than main game?

So I finished Blood and Wine last night and I was absolutely heartbroken by the ending not just for the story but of the series. Then I got to thinking how much better the expansions really were than the game. Does anyone else agree?

I loved W3 main game but I felt the expansions proved that story wise smaller is always better and maybe it was more development time or less pressure but I feel CDPR was able to stretch their storytelling muscles more than with the main game.

I personally thought the Ciri/Wild Hunt story missed its mark and that the main game would have benefitted from a story more focused on the third Nilfgaard war.Anywho...thoughts?

Last edited:
yes i was absolutely heartbroken too, but it was such a great story
there was more feedback for the expansions, for had already completed the mian story and knowing that the edvs are capable of great things, they could use the feedback and their own new ideas to tell whole new different stories this time, the expansions enhance the main game, for they bring more of the same and that is good but at the same time they bring something that the main game was lacking

i think it could be a very good idea to show more of the war, for all that we know is what we hear and we see the destroyed villages, burnt houses, etc,
if te main story wasn't based on ciri it would have been a completely diferent game, i'm not sure if "better," but different

both expansions are magical and unique, and in some way the three gams too
the expansions show that cdpr can keep creating great stories and characters and how much potential this universe has

Expansions are saving grace for TW3 as far as the story goes. It was much better thought out and characters were presented better. It wasn't like with Eredin, when it was basically "he evil, no why, just kill'em", where the most interesting antagonists were only those 3 swamp hags. Also no teases or half baked ideas, like sorceress lodge.

With expansions, they actually didn't try to make fanfic cannon like in MQ and instead did their own thing, which worked great.

It's all a matter of personal opinion, but the way that I rank games is by how much fun or enjoyment I derive from them, and according to that scale, TW3 main game was just as good as the expansions.

What I liked about Wild Hunt is that it truly made me feel like I was living the life of a Witcher, and the personal story of a man trying to come to terms with his past and reclaim his family was more appealing to me than a traditional war narrative, which I feel would have been the easier and more cliche route to take.

The open-world form - as ubiquitous as it may seem - is still in its infancy and undergoing growing pains. Wild Hunt had a number of flaws, but as an experimental game in a nascent genre, I think it's successes outweighed its failures.

---------- Updated at 12:53 AM ----------

It wasn't like with Eredin, when it was basically "he evil, no why, just kill'em" ...

While CDPR has admitted that the central antagonist of Wild Hunt could use additional background, I think the impetus for killing Eredin was made pretty clear throughout the course of the game. He's trying to abduct Ciri, use her for his personal ends - i.e.creating a portal between Tir na Lia to invade Geralt's homeworld, escape the White Frost, and enslave humanity - and then discard her. When I thought about his character and the predicament of the Aen Elle, I actually found him to be a somewhat empathetic villain, since he is really just trying to save his people, albeit using morally dubious means. In any case, I construed the main campaign to be more about simulating the day-to-day life of a Witcher, and shedding some light on the familial bond between Geralt and Ciri, something which was heretofore unexplored. In that regard I believe that it succeeded remarkably.

Also no teases or half baked ideas, like sorceress lodge.

There are lots of "half baked ideas" in the expansions, particularly Blood and Wine. Syanna barely features in the DLC, and when she does, it's as part of a ham-fisted romance with Geralt. There's also the reoccurring issue of lack of reactivity to player choice, e.g. if you make the decision to save Syanna, Anna Henrietta grants you an award for your valor, but there is no follow-up dialogue which comments on the status of her relationship with her sister. Not to mention the fact that the decisions which go into determining who visits you at Corvo Bianco make zero sense.

I'm not attacking Blood and Wine because I disliked it - on the contrary, I loved it just as much as the base game - I'm merely trying to show that the expansions themselves are not free from flaws, and that it's easy to forget that they were built on the foundation - both technical and artistic - which Wild Hunt laid. There could have been no Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine without the previous efforts that went into making the main game.

With expansions, they actually didn't try to make fanfic cannon like in MQ and instead did their own thing, which worked great.

Blood and Wine is arguably even more permeated with "fan service" than Wild Hunt. Anna Henrietta, Regis, they are all characters from Sapkowski's novels. Regis in particular was another person that CDPR literally brought back from the dead in order to placate fans. I loved seeing him, and his inclusion was a stroke of genius, but your statement is factually incorrect.

Apparnetly I read that Sapkowski had saod that Regis could still be alive. i thibk it was somewhere on the forums but im not sure. Dunno if thats true, as there was no mention where he said it.

All in all i really like both expansions more.
And HoS is the best part of the witcher.

The main game could be much better, if there were not so many plot holes and the underwhelming wild hunt..This really breaks the neck of the main game, in my opinion.

• RED Point
Reactions: 227
Depends if you compare it with vanilla "before Battle of Kaer Morhen" or vanilla "that rushed weird activity after Battle of Kaer Morhen". First is excellent, final act is more like "meh".

Anyway, I very much like the ties of HoS with TW1. I very much like the ties of B&W with the books.
I would've liked TW3 vanilla a lot if it had ties with TW2. But it didn't. It just had more "I don't really remember anything from my time with the hunt".

All 3 have haunting missions causing lingering thoughts about my ingame decisions.

I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, except that the last part of vanilla is ranking lower than the others.

Good points brought up I think personal taste has a lot to do with it. I still stand by my opinion though. IMO I've always been biased against Ciri I never liked her TOO much in the books and I thought bringing her back in the game at least so predominantly was a mistake on the part of CDPR. Perhaps it should have been about Yennefer and the war with Nilfgaard . Those are the main two plot threads at the end of W2 and one is solved in the beginning and the other is relegated to the background to make way for freaking Ciri.

As for Blood and Wine in no moment did I think the story was rushed. Perhaps it was because of the ending that I got; which I don't want to spoil just in case; but it wrapped up everything in a satisfactory way for me. And I actually did not think Syanna was underdeveloped. Definitely not to the level of W3 Eredin.

HoS was equally if not better story wise than B&W though I think I'm still emotionally reeling from the latter because of how it ended for me.

Last edited:
To me all three make up one game, well B&W was technically a full expansion (my opinion) if you take into account it was a huge new region with many new characters and quests whereas HOS (to me) just seem like part of the main game that was chopped off, with access later allowed to the existing fogged off area at the top of the Velen map.

I'm abit hot and cold about B&W ....it was ok. I really enjoyed the main game, and even though HOS did not have a big new map and lots of random quest dotted around, it's story was very good and it's villain was exceptional.

l think it's down to personal preference and to what floats your boat, a person playing Witcher 3 for the first time may think a quest or a main part of the story was exceptional, while somebody who has played all three installents (Witcher 1+2 and book readers) may feel different as how certain events were carried over or recreated.

But talking now about Tw3, the main game.....very good in most places. A bit a a rush in act 3, and a poorly developed villain.

HOS. Good story, good Witcher feeling about it, and possibly the best villain ever!

B&W. Moderate story, abit pradictable, and no real main villain.....but an excellent portrail of Regis

Last edited:
It's clear that smaller is more manageable for the writers after playing both expansions. Both have much better writing and maintain a level of quality that the main game does not.

---------- Updated at 03:02 PM ----------

Hearts of Stone certainly is. Probably the pinnacle of the Witcher trilogy as @RezoInverse stated. Blood and Wine's second half was as rushed and underdeveloped as the main game. But overall as an expansion it stands out.

B&W doesn't feel rushed to me. I felt they were aiming for urgency, and the plotting supported that. Some characters are clearly underdeveloped though, mainly Dettlaff. Which reminded me of Eredin's flaw.

All have their strengh. Main game has best side quests, HoS has best mein story and BaW has the best open world. I enjoyed them all. Sometimes there is no need to do a ranking, since the quality of everything in the witcher 3 universe is very high.

Heart of Stone was definitely the best of the lot. There can hardly be any argument there. As for Wild Hunt and Blood & Wine, I think the main game was the better one.. Blood and Wine never it's Bloody Baron or Priscilla moment... Anyway, it'd take a long comment to explain, and I'm just too lazy right now.

Heart of Stone was definitely the best of the lot. There can hardly be any argument there. As for Wild Hunt and Blood & Wine, I think the main game was the better one.. Blood and Wine never it's Bloody Baron or Priscilla moment... Anyway, it'd take a long comment to explain, and I'm just too lazy right now.

The base game has some very good quests, but the main quest line of Blood and Wine seems to be of more consistent quality, and it does not become as rushed towards the end.

All 3 like some others here mentioned, have their own charms in my opinion.

Hearts of stone had a very dark main guest (which I loved), although some side quests were a bit lacking depth for me, were as Blood and wine had more in depth side quests (like the tourney with Vivienne) for example.

I like all. Main game and expansions have their own special things. And faults. Of course BAW feels the best right now since I have only played it three times, so it's still fresh :D But truly, I like main game and expansions. There is no best one.

Maybe I have no business posting here since I have yet to play the expansions, but I would like to stress that the quality of the vanilla game is very... irregular. Velen was amazing (I would argue even better than TW2, though I know some here are bound to disagree), Novigrad and Skellige had some great side content and the main questlines there were not bad either. Chapter II was a little mediocre in my estimation, though, and Chapter III was downright terrible.

Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine may be starting with an inherent advantage in that, being smaller and shorter, they are able to keep a more consistent quality throughout.

Maybe I have no business posting here since I have yet to play the expansions, but I would like to stress that the quality of the vanilla game is very... irregular. Velen was amazing (I would argue even better than TW2, though I know some here are bound to disagree), Novigrad and Skellige had some great side content and the main questlines there were not bad either. Chapter II was a little mediocre in my estimation, though, and Chapter III was downright terrible.

Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine may be starting with an inherent advantage in that, being smaller and shorter, they are able to keep a more consistent quality throughout.

It is probably not only the size, the main story starting from Ugly Baby is almost entirely linear, and is not that much more content than the main quest line of Blood and Wine. It is just not very well made and is somewhat rushed, especially the last few quests. The prologue and first act are like 60% of the main quests in the base game (more if we include side quests at their recommended levels), but the quality there is still good. Although the overall large size of the game is probably still a disadvantage as it made managing the development more difficult.

Top Bottom