Were you familiar with CyberPunk 2020 lore before you played 2077?

+

Were you familiar wiht CyberPunk 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 52.3%

• Total voters
Is the Rogue -> Rouge thing an autocorrect error or was she indeed called Rouge in Cyberpunk 2020 and earlier installments? Or ist it something like there/their? I'm German and this confuses me a lot, because I see so much "Rouge" in the forums. Sorry, a little off-topic!

Anyway... I'm super interested in Cyberpunk lore and definitely want to read up on a few things and characters. Where would you recommend to start?

Just my mistake with Rogue :facepalm:

I knew it was a tabletop but 2077 is my actual introduction to the world, and I've since bought the Cyberpunk RED jumpstart kit. I'm very into this world so I've been reading anything I can find about it and Mike Pondsmith's vision.

Not really. Only trailer for game I think was 2013 trailer and I became aware that there's tabletop but I never thought that it could be actually pretty good take on the cyberpunk on it's own right. Cyperpunk 2077 really surprised me and I have looked up some things, often just to make suggestions for game that would make sense.

I started RPG in the 80's. I knew of Cyberpunk (I think I still have one of the manuals) but at the time my thing was Sword and Shield games not Sy Fi so I never ran a game. I could be wrong but I think this genre is better suited to todays computer video game play anyway. Especially the visuals. To me you can describe a castle completely with a page of words because it is something most people in the first world have seen examples of. Unless you have been to Japan Night City is more amazing with the "thousand words". lol.

I'd never heard of it. Wishing I still hadn't at the moment to spare me the disappointment with the game on XB1.

I was somewhat familiar with the it through Madqueen's videos, got to say 2077 isn't as fleshed out. 2020 has more cyberware and bioware didn't even make it into the game. There are also a wider variety of weapons.

Bought the 2.0.2.0 box when it came out, after a few years of a friend of mine running the 1st ed (2017) rules. At the time, we were so fried on D&D, and Bill Gibson's work was really powerful stuff. I think I picked up a copy of Walter Jon Williams' HardWired the same week as the CP2020 box, and the HardWired sourcebook. Still have copies of CP2020, Chromebook 1-3, HardWired, and other sourcebooks on the shelf of my RPG bookcase, next to the Earthdawn line, on the shelf below Shadowrun (all 5 editions and a pretty complete set of the 1st-3rd ed sourcebooks) and above the original World of Darkness games (VtM/WtA have their shelf, MtA/CtD/WtO theirs).

It's funny, but of the three major 'cyberpunk' (genre) games (Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, and GURPS Cyberpunk), CP2020 always felt like the game with the greatest... hope... for the individual. And the thing is, even as CP2077 tells us the next 5 decades just got worse... it still does.

I had never heard of it before the game was announced, even after I did the super generic name kinda put me off at first but I was aware of similar stuff like Shadowrun for a long time.

I spent 10 years with Cyberpunk 2020 starting with my introduction in 1990 via an older brother and his friends. It was fun times till everyone started going crazy with power creep.
I still have the same core book from then to held together with scotch tape and time. Passing on Red as I feel like 2020 is just right as is and I still remember (havn't forgiven) Cyberpunk V3 and the dolls.

I was only familiar with the cyberpunk genre, not the actual Cyberpunk lore. The cyberpunk genre has been in a few games over the years so I gleaned my knowledge mostly from those.

I’ve never heard of Cyberpunk and was introduced while watching a streamer I follow on twitch play it the day it came out.

That's a strange question... What I mean is that in my mind it can be answered throught 2 questions :
- Are you a roleplayer ?
- Are you more than 35 years old ?

If both are answered by the affirmative, you can infer several suppositions,
such as, yes, they knew about games like Cyberpunk (Paranoia etc...)
If not, really it depends to chances (a playbook left by a big brother, some interrest into vintage rpgs etc...)

In my case, I am a french 38 years old who has grown into rpgs, and the question would feel kind of offensive

In my case, I am a french 38 years old who has grown into rpgs, and the question would feel kind of offensive

I consider myself lucky to have had opportunity to play with the Cyberpunk 2020 too (among other rpgs) and I have the sourcebook in Hungarian language.

Attachments

• 20210208_204524.jpg
    20210208_204524.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
No and I intentionally did not get myself acquainted with the system. Wanted to avoid thinking about discrepancies between the tabletop and the computer game all the time.
Even though I might be missing on a treasure trove of lore in the face of 2020, I still want 2077 to be the only Cyberpunk I know of.

I'm kind of an expert in the lore, to the extent I cringe on most YT Lore Videos :) But still, the game is written in a way you don't need to know anything about the lore of 2020, RED and anything in between.
Having said that, it should be added that CP2077 is CDPR's vision and version of Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk. Being that it freely uses some aspects of the lore, adds some and retcons A LOT, to the point it takes place in the alternative universe to not only CP2020 but also RED and 2013. But the same is trute with Cyberpunk Red, that retcons so much from 2020 that is alternative universe, and 2020 that retcons a lot from 2013. Which I'm fine with because I do the same in my games.
However, I can't recomend enough to jump into the lore with the PnP game books, even those officialy set in alternate cyberpunk settings as Cyberpunk v3, Cybergeneration or Deep Space (which technically is not the alternative universe and was the attempt to move Cyberpunk into Spacepunk, but the cyberpunk went the IVth Corp War that didn't happen in Deep Space's 2025). It's all great read (even generaly loathed upon "V3").
Being familiar with the lore halps to get some easter eggs and to keep that feeling of excitement, waiting for another piece of lore, and to say "ha! I remember that!" or "Wait a minute, it didn't happen that way!" Its fun :)
Also, PnP game is fon, and I highly recomend, although the CP2020 is extremaly outdated and borderline unplayable for the new commers, and CP RED is a beautiful mess that, despite what people claim, had never been playtested in the slightest.
Post automatically merged:

I consider myself lucky to have had opportunity to play with the Cyberpunk 2020 too (among other rpgs) and I have the sourcebook in Hungarian language.
Damn. In pristine condition. I heve three copies, two in no condition to show around :)

Top Bottom