Weren't we supposed to be able to see V in mirrors and reflecting surfaces?

+
Cause personally, when I look at a mirror, I got this (with reflections set at "Psycho" level):
Mirrors.jpg

Very immersive indeed...
And for the record, reflecting surfaces existed way before ray tracing, for those wanting to use that argument.

Guess reflections are RT only.

Granted they can do reflections via render to texture ... looks like they didn't bother.

What platform? Smart mirrors work fine for me without RT on PC (just have to actually activate the mirror)

Granted, my char ends up hair and dickless in the mirror image in the aparment but eh..

What platform? Smart mirrors work fine for me without RT on PC (just have to actually activate the mirror)

Granted, my char ends up hair and dickless in the mirror image in the aparment but eh..

PC (cause without that, I could not have set reflections to "psycho").
And even when not "activated" (worst excuse ever), why should V have no reflections on reflecting surfaces while the rest can be seen inside?:shrug:

Because the goal is to be able to see V in every reflecting surfaces, as it's the way you see yourself in FPP normally.

I believe its complicated due to perfomance issues - as i understand, mirrors in this game, the one that actually reflect V, are made by separate camera, and this cannot be implemented everywhere in the world - such an additional camera greatly increases the load on the frame rendering. Anyway, thats my guess.

I believe its complicated due to perfomance issues - as i understand, mirrors in this game, the one that actually reflect V, are made by separate camera, and this cannot be implemented everywhere in the world - such an additional camera greatly increases the load on the frame rendering. Anyway, thats my guess.
Render to texture. Hitman 2 does that.

I know it's not "open world" but I have to say ... it looks better than Cyberpunk 2077. Reflections all over the place. Huge crowd sizes. I dare say better lighting overall. ... etc. while hitting 60fps rather easily with Pascal-era cards if I'm right.

PS: I dare say Cyberpunk's lighting might actually look worst than the Witcher 3's. Outside is stupid bright for a cyberpunk dystopia while inside is pitch black 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Super Mario Sunshine propably uses some trick with prebaked cubemaps or whatever this was called back in the days. Hitman has some impressive scenes with mirrors, sure. Dunno, maybe REDengine cant do that right now. I mean, considering current state of the game, reflections in mirrors hardly take priority over getting the game to function properly.

Super Mario Sunshine propably uses some trick with prebaked cubemaps or whatever this was called back in the days. Hitman has some impressive scenes with mirrors, sure. Dunno, maybe REDengine cant do that right now. I mean, considering current state of the game, reflections in mirrors hardly take priority over getting the game to function properly.

It is a way more important feature than volumetric clouds (Even more in a FPP perseptive), yet one is there, the other is not.

You can, there's mirrors that works without Ray-tracing, like the one at the beginning of Nomad lifepath and the one in your apartment.

You can, there's mirrors that works without Ray-tracing, like the one at the beginning of Nomad lifepath and the one in your apartment.

Apparently you have to "activate" those, and without that you don't see yourself.
Besides, that hardly qualifies as being about to see yourself in reflective surfaces, as I showed in my screenshot where everything is reflected minus V.

I'm pretty sure they only did Ray tracing for everything except character models. So the mirrors don't work because your character exists in a ghost world so to speak in the smart mirrors. Same with the npc's as I've witnessed them doing different actions or standing in different places than their reflection.

I'm also running Ray tracing on insanity and sticking between 52-60+fps (4k)

Watch dogs, while their character models are ugly, do an amazing job with reflections

I'm pretty sure they only did Ray tracing for everything except character models. So the mirrors don't work because your character exists in a ghost world so to speak in the smart mirrors. Same with the npc's as I've witnessed them doing different actions or standing in different places than their reflection.

I'm also running Ray tracing on insanity and sticking between 52-60+fps (4k)

Watch dogs, while their character models are ugly, do an amazing job with reflections

You mean that even with Ray Tracing you cannot see V in reflective surface ?!! :eek:

Oh good, I thought it was just me. After spending an hour and a half in character creation then to see myself hairless in the mirror in my apt I was frantically trying to figure out what I had done wrong.

It seems with mirrors, you see yourself after some story related scenes, or if you click on the one at your apartment. I haven't tried clicking mirrors elsewhere. I'm thinking they don't naturally reflect all the time, but I'm not playing with ray tracing.

It seems with mirrors, you see yourself after some story related scenes, or if you click on the one at your apartment. I haven't tried clicking mirrors elsewhere. I'm thinking they don't naturally reflect all the time, but I'm not playing with ray tracing.

I thought that was the case as well. For the first part when you're in the bar with Padre, the mirror your next to is reflective but when he leans in to talk to you about his problem, the mirror turns off and is just that grey blur which is what your apartment mirror looks like before you activate it. It did take me outta the game for a second thinking it was a bug but I'm pretty sure that's how most of the mirrors are going to act...only played a few hours though.

Top Bottom