What advice would you give CDPR?

+
Part the sea until you can upgrade the captain positions so the sailors can spread their wings... Fuck, why do I keep finding a way to make sailing analogies? The only thing I know about sailing is assuming the Earth is flat is a good way to get lost.

Split the studio in two separate, self-sufficient teams, one for Cyberpunk one for The Witcher, I don't want to wait another 10 years for a new game like this.

History has put them on a mission to test whether they are capable of regaining their prestige. And all the players are waiting to be surprised. I think that yes, they will turn the tables and show their chest with Cyberpunk 2077. They are taking steps in a very good direction by relying on modders.

My advice, work, work and work. More humble, less lies and that the developers get all their creativity because Night city is crying out for it !!!

Split the studio in two separate, self-sufficient teams

This might not be such a bad idea.

Lower the ambition and make more focusgroup oriented games that, with lower budgets and lower income expectations, can explore a bit more unorthodox (in terms of the mainstream) designs.

I would tell them to relax, every company has a Medellin moment, is what you do afterwards that counts. Fix the bugs and then move on. Make your Ciri game and make sure its awesome, you already have an amazing blue print with the Witcher 3. Do not waste resources on DLC and MP for this game, this game is already doomed, focus on Cyberpunk 2, you now have the tech and it will be nexgen only so its smooth sailing, make the game you always wanted to make, show us the full world of Cyberpunk!
Have an honest conversation with the fans maybe bring in Geoff Keighley to MC it, and really have a long 2hour conversation on what went wrong what your initial vision was and how you learned from your mistakes, honesty is best policy. You do this fans will respect you and give you another chance.

Write an RPG like an actual GM would. Don't hire wannabe novelists and failed scriptwriters. Different medium, with different beats, and none of them care about player characters or even conceive of things that way.

Write an RPG like an actual GM would. Don't hire wannabe novelists and failed scriptwriters. Different medium, with different beats, and none of them care about player characters or even conceive of things that way.

Um no. You don't realize this but many successful fantasy novels are based on RPG games and the characters the novelist/friends used to play the RPG. Dragon-Lance for instance is a multi-novel D&D fantasy, with all the lore and character rule & stat checks written in to the storyline as plot devices. The writers themselves created their own, extremely successful D&D based world and game system that has been published world-wide for decades.

Um no. You don't realize this but many successful fantasy novels are based on RPG games and the characters the novelist/friends used to play the RPG. Dragon-Lance for instance is a multi-novel D&D fantasy, with all the lore and character rule & stat checks written in to the storyline as plot devices. The writers themselves created their own, extremely successful D&D based world and game system that has been published world-wide for decades.

Dragonlance isn't DnD tabletop either. No one plays that as an actual game. Everyone rolls their own characters. The job of a GM isn't the same as a novelist. It's setting/world building and far more improv and letting the chips fall where they may. Not telling everyone what to do. A nudge here and there, but not outright handholding. And you would definitely get ridiculed and blacklisted if you took someone's character they've been rolling all night, then give them cancer, and replace them with a pet NPC.

It's good that the game is out, I can sit out for 6-months or an year and let CDPR turn it into the game they promised. But what I don't want is let it go half-way through. That will make me and many other players who have stopped playing the game waiting for CDPR to turn the corner with this game. The road map needs to be clearer.

Dragonlance isn't DnD tabletop either. No one plays that as an actual game. Everyone rolls their own characters. The job of a GM isn't the same as a novelist. It's setting/world building and far more improv and letting the chips fall where they may. Not telling everyone what to do. A nudge here and there, but not outright handholding. And you would definitely get ridiculed and blacklisted if you took someone's character they've been rolling all night, then give them cancer, and replace them with a pet NPC.

Dragonlance is TT, it's an entire world setting (krynn) for any adventure party. It has even been used for several PC games back in the day. It has been TT for 30+ years mate. I played games set in Krynn myself. IDK where you got the idea is not used.

TSR created Dragonlance as a campaign setting for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) roleplaying game in 1982, publishing the first of a series of modules, Dragons of Despair, in March 1984. They published the first world-spanning sourcebook, Dragonlance Adventures, in 1987. When AD&D was updated to the 2nd edition in 1989, the Dragonlance campaign setting was updated as well. However, in 1996, Dragonlance was converted to use the new SAGA System, which uses cards to determine the effects of actions, with the publication of the Dragonlance: Fifth Age roleplaying game.[6] When the 3rd edition of Dungeons & Dragons was released, Dragonlance was again updated with a new sourcebook (Dragonlance Campaign Setting), although no new adventures were published by Wizards of the Coast. Wizards of the Coast also turned over all responsibility for maintaining the Dragonlance setting in the 3rd edition to Margaret Weis's home company, Sovereign Press.

As for my point; The writers were inspired by their own D&D gaming. The storytelling and character arcs are all part of the games they themselves played and subsently created in written form. What you and the OP are failing to recognise is that a good GM is a storyteller. A good GM takes the encounter rolls and uses them as a basis for a chapter in the story, leading the characters through each part with guidance. That requires being able to weave multiple threads and keep them active and engaging for each class. Which is exactly what a good writer does.

An interesting observation which if I'm honest makes a valid point. In future, it's probably worth having future scripts gone over by an English Major to add in the missing aspects.

Top Bottom