What annoying game design trends should Cyberpunk avoid?

+
I think they should get rid of those occasionalities too. At this point, with the kind zeal they've kept with the perspective they've chosen, it just seems tacked on and unnecessary.

Can't say I disagree, even if a couple of vanity moments here and there could offer an interesting change of focus.

Things to avoid:
Filler content.
Grinding.
Leveled world (why even upgrade skills and stuff if the world upgrades with you? It killed Satelitte Reign, other wise decent game, for me)
Censorship
Shying away from difficult themes
Killing Madeleine Stout
Multiplayer
Watering down RPG content
Making the game Johnny Silverhand's story instead of V's
Justification of game mechanics with narrative (Remember all those characters in different games' tutorials telling you to press LMB...?)

Hmm, one thing what have annoyed about Cyberpunk 2077, we arent able to experience the roles. Fingers crossed they release own dlc for each role, theres some cool stuff like Corp, Medics, Cops etc, Rockerboy too, Netrunner sounds fun too.

-Crappy Loot (Leave that to MMO plz, single players games shouldn't have crappy loot).
- Grind Grind Grind (again, leave that to MMO)
- Game drop alot of crap but give you 'Tiny' inventory with limited options.
- Mini-annoying-games for the sake of 'realism' . Trust me, they are annoying and get old fast and I be the 1st to beg for a mod to get ride of them.
- 'False narrative'' .

What I mean by that last one, is a good exemple is 'NWN Mask of the betrayer' expansion. Whole time, the narrative talk about this 'Wall of faithless' , then you get this companion who harpe about the ''Wall of Faitless'' and as you advance the story , you find out that it's all started with the 'Wall of faithless'' . So half way trough the damn expansion, you are pumped and got your TNT ready to blow the damn ''Wall of the faithless'' and then get Bozo God with a mask Pop up and tell you ''Nope, sorry. Go back and do that other side of the story. The wall of the faithless was just a hook to get me to show up...aint my mask sexy huh ? I betcha you want it too!'' .

I loved the Mask of the betrayer, but man that still sucked!

- Sponge shooting or ammo or whatever peoples call them ? Not sure what the term really mean. But I'm hoping the guns feel real . Like more ME3 , and less ME2 where shooting felt like I was massaging the ennemy with mah bullets . Where in ME3...*Droole*.....shotgun Pop Cerbrus head..sooo goooooood :love:

- Miniscule Tiny Text cose Immersion babeh! Look at the screen, its clean and Oh So sexy!
(Plz add something to make the text bigger huh. Not everyone has good eyesight ).

Small, throwaway ennemies at every corner.

Give me a good, significant fight every 30 minutes rather than vagues of small ones every 2 minutes. Any day of the week. That shit annoyed me so much in The Witcher 3. Every quest would break its flow to make us kill drowners or some stuff.

To give a specific example, the Land of a Thousand Fables didn't need to have those pixies. It was a good, atmospheric quest that works perfectly well on its own. I seem to recall you fight a werewolf there. Good ! It's enough !

I guess they were afraid the player would not feel engaged enough, but it does waaaaay more harm than good, imo.

a) First person view only (meaning none, or just a very few cut scenes, in game I'm ok with it). Give us a choice at least.

b) Genderless approach. I mean... giving the player freedom is ok and such but it is _not_ if the game then intentionally avoids to see you as a male or female (even if perhaps wrong, based on the dominant visual features) and is scared to even refer to you as he or she. The world out there (a wake up call) does _not_ work like this and in games it is mostly just a laziness to tweak dialogues, which are however quite important for lot of us "minority" who like to have the gender defined and _the world_ (not just us) react to it like it normally does. :p

c) Don't steer away from what was originally promised/teased. Which - somehow - were both cinematic cut-scenes and the gender choice, among other things. :(

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

- Damage sponges
- Mandatory level scaling for enemies
- Forced jokes and juvenile approach to character writing (in short, stay away as far as possible from brand of humor Mass Effect Andromeda is littered with)
- Gear that can only be obtained by playing multiplayer
- Collectables that tell me nothing about nothing and don't result in opening of new dialogue options
- Inventory design optimized for controllers

unkillable children because of how somehow "they r just bttr than evry1 else and bc of that they r immortal" in bethesda's games

Hope there won't be weapon/armour durability. I have yet to see a game impliment it in a way where it actually adds to the experience, in my personal opinion.

1. Character level (character progression is fine, that's unrelated)
2. Level-gated content and areas
3. NPCs with omniscience and hive mind vision (They all know where you are once you have gained aggro from one, even without line of sight)
4. UI designed for consoles only (Witcher 3 Menus are a perfect example of a terrible UI designed with consoles in mind, I may elaborate in a different thread)
5. NPCs that spawn out of nowhere (GTA police)

Hope there won't be weapon/armour durability. I have yet to see a game impliment it in a way where it actually adds to the experience, in my personal opinion.

Having to constantly monitor a bat or a 1-100 number and compensate it with minuscule increments can certainly be choresome and unfun in the end, but that’s not the only way of doing it.

It already goesa long way, if you hide the numbers from the player and more over, rather present him with more granular system where the game only registers three or four condition states (i.e. pristine, normal, used, worn... and a chance for ”broken” only if the item gets a crit from the enemy at worn state) at a very slow pace. And obviously, each time a condition state gets lower or higher, the relevant statistics change accordingly (although, damage shouldn’t change for guns... just accuracy plus jamming and reload disorders), meaning, they change so much at a go that you actually feel it in the gameplay.

And when you repair the item (if you can), you repair a whole bunch at a time so the items’ functionality changes relatively dramatically, thus making the repair feel worth it.

Or something.

I think this sort of feature is much akin to fetch quests. It has a bad rep, and deservedly so, but then, not many have tried to innovate and make it more interesting, and even less have succeeded.

Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be tried.

^ That's one thing I love to mod out when I can (and when a game has it in the first place). It's just plain stupid, even in first person where I suppose it's supposed to simulate blood in one's face and eyes.

I really liked the mod for Skyrim that makes the screen "pulse" with a blur effect as you lose health. The more hurt you are, the dimmer the screen gets at the edges (a vignette effect) and the stronger the blur becomes. A heartbeat sound effect grows louder the more stamina you use, eventually pounding in your ears when you're out. Pretty fantastic approach, overall.

I can say that I am a fan of no HUD at all, if possible.

I can say that I am a fan of no HUD at all, if possible.
(y). Adjustable HUD all the way to nothing is always my favorite. I will say though, that in this game I may use more of the HUD than I normally do, assuming the HUD features still have an in-world explanation.

Common current action/RPG game designs to avoid for me:

Fetch quests
Grind-y gameplay loops
Violence as the dominant means of portraying narrative conflict
"Can be great at everything" character progression design
Touting player agency without actually having meaningful consequences

Pointless perks that just ramp up your regular stats.
Perks (or their counterparts) if present should bring something new to the gameplay, and change the way how you approach things.

Weapon durability makes sense in horror games where worrying whether you can rely on your gun can add to anxiety and dread of the atmosphere.
However we have no need for it in an RPG. It's a chore.

The gap between a low level character and a high level character should lie foremost in their skills and abilites, and then reasonably more advanced gadgets, equipment and guns.
It shouldn't be ridiculously larger healthpool and damage output.
Mount and Blade and Kingdom Come: Deliverance do a good job in this department.

Last edited:
Top Bottom