What annoying game design trends should Cyberpunk avoid?

+
Instead of glowing weak points or having to scan for a weak point, there should be obvious visual cues. Like, if you're fighting a guy and he has a specific weak spot, have him drop to his knees and cry out in pain when everywhere else he doesn't really respond. If you're fighting a mech and you hit the weak spot, have that area explode in sparks where everywhere else it pretty much shrugs off your attacks.

So army and soldiers using some scanners and radars IRL cause they are dumb? Scan for some weak point is okay, if explaned right.

We sure remember the big red glowing targets on drone's video...

It's not the scanner/radar that's a problem, it's just how braindead it is, you don't have to think, try different thing, just shoot the big red dot.

As said above, maybe using différent animations when you hit the right spot or just some clues beforehand would be better than putting a big red sign on it.

A boss, is basicaly a boss because it's supposed to be a tought encounter, the kind you'll die a few times against to grasp how to deal with him.

Now, as is, it's just a bulletsponge, don't think, just shoot.

So yeah, it's a videogame, one would expect a bit more of a challenge there, you can't compare it with real people risking their lives for real, and even there, it's never as easy as scanning a random place and shooting a missile in it...

Stories of modern armies shooting hospitals or school by mistake are pretty common too...

Sure, IRL we have plenty cool shits, like night vision, thermal vision, etc...
But I still never saw a popup that told you that guy was allergic to strawberry... Hence, why some "clues" or investigations beforehand may be a better alternative that shooting a random spot.

Camera shaking motion blur screen effects that trigger nausea etc. unless they can be disabled in the options.
Also prefer third person perspective but that's not going to happen.

Unskippable cut scenes is a big one too. Unskippable start up screens also.

"Aim assist" which is either too forgiving (eg. in plague tale innocence) or difficult/absent. there should be a gradual learning curve.

Discrepancies between the written dialogue and voiced dialogue. I hate not knowing what my character is about to do/say!

Sure, IRL we have plenty cool shits, like night vision, thermal vision, etc...
But I still never saw a popup that told you that guy was allergic to strawberry
And here we go to the future huh? Like 2077 year, right. Again, it's okay if you see weak spots and it explained well ingame, what matters is not that you can see spots, but how well boss can protect it. Sure different reaction to damage should be ingame too.

And if we talk about cyberpunk 2077, your hurt can be irrelevant since you can just not install that fancy Kiroshi eye, which allow you to scan things.

I already made a list but...

Taking the most obvius and easiest route in gameplay design and mechanics that doesn't bring anything new to the table.

:giveup:

"Aim assist" which is either too forgiving (eg. in plague tale innocence) or difficult/absent. there should be a gradual learning curve.

They could add optional gyroscopic aiming to PlayStations, similar to what is in many games on Switch, which would replace traditional aiming assist. Although I think gyroscopic aiming is great, I know some people want to not use it and the game would still need regular aiming assist for those people and people on other platforms.

1598209206640.png

*or CDPR's future games

I'm going to be an extreme minority on this one I think, but - Player vs. Player in Multiplayer.

CD Projekt Red make amazing single player experiences. I love them for that and I love the stories they tell. Cyberpunk 2020/RED are team games. You rarely ever will have Player vs. Player combat in a campaign because the idea is to work together and complete something you couldn't individually accomplish. That's what I've always loved about the game.

I'm excited to see what Multiplayer brings when they release it, however I will personally be excluding myself from PvP. I can see it absolutely fitting in the universe and the game as it has been presented but I personally don't want to see it there. I will hold no ill will towards CDPR if they do put it in, but it's definitely something I hope they avoid.

in the context of open world games like red dead and gta, there is often a need to induce artificial challenge by throwing tons of enemies in waves at you. don't do this. make the enemies challenging by virtue of their tactical intelligence. especially in cyberpunk where enemies could be augmented to move and use weapons in unexpected ways. it is way more satisfying to a kill a small group of 3 to 5 individuals with slight challenging ai than to mow down 100 enemies that are just fodder. one experience is immersive, the other makes me think [...].

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a rushed ending on the main questline. I'm absolutely sick and tired of amazing stories ending rushed because the writer's steam ran out. Like, what could've been a compact 5 chapters or so worth of story being crammed into 1 chapter.
Fallout 4 did this, for example. Then again, it's Fallout 4, so it might not be a good example, considering how the rest of the game is...

Also, seeing the game as finished when it launches. Not continuing to make more great content for the game post launch, only adding cosmetics or minor updates, instead of making world expanding expansion packs and DLCs.

It should have avoided the trope, that if the perspective if 1st person, combat needs to be FPS combat without a question.
Interesting, I'd like to know how would you implement it.

Or a video game that has done it, as a reference so I can watch it and see the difference easier.

Thank you in advance.

Not having meaningful loot so it is either nothing but a constant farm fest, or no point to hunt for loot.
Example: Borderlands 3: Boasts a bajillion guns, but almost every single one is trash, and then you get it after a week playtime, but it has bad rolls.
Witcher 3 is the opposite: Just put everything in the trash and there really isn't much reason to pursue anything.

Interesting, I'd like to know how would you implement it.

Or a video game that has done it, as a reference so I can watch it and see the difference easier.

Thank you in advance.

There are no modern games to give as an example, because none have been made. So all I can offer in that regard are TES 2 and 3, Might&Magic 6 and 7, and Wizardry 8, even the first System Shock (to a degree).

However, seeing as those are 20+ years old games, party based and in a fantasy setting, please don't assume I am asking for a copy of their. Because I'm not. They are close, though.

The point I'm (or rather.... have been since 2013) is to think about slowpaced and tactical statheavy RPG combat, where you aren't so much "aiming" yourself, but choosing the targets the character aims.

There's a more thorough "along the lines of" explanation behind the link in my sig to what I mean, and another one here.

The idea being, that combat appears rarely, but is deadly and tactical and requires thinking. And actually resembles a RPG combat.

Last edited:
There are no modern games to give as an example, because none have been made. So all I can offer in that regard are TES 2 and 3, Might&Magic 6 and 7, and Wizardry 8, even the first System Shock (to a degree).

However, seeing as those are 20+ years old games, party based and in a fantasy setting, please don't assume I am asking for a copy of their. Because I'm not. They are close, though.

The point I'm (or rather.... have been since 2013) is to think about slowpaced and tactical statheavy RPG combat, where you aren't so much "aiming" yourself, but choosing the targets the character aims.

There's a more thorough "along the lines of" explanation behind the link in my sig to what I mean, and another one here.

The idea being, that combat appears rarely, but is deadly and tactical and requires thinking. And actually resembles a RPG combat.
Thank you,

Yes it seems this will not be the case with CP2077, but you already said it.

I think I got your point, it would be fun to have a FPP game with hybrid combat between FFXV (in tactical mode) and X-Com.

Honestly? (and I know it's a little late now lol...)

Swearing.

I'm mainly noticing this in TV shows more so than video games, but it's been a trend over the last few years. There's just an...unnecessary amount of swearing. It just seems like an easy way to force edginess into a product, and I just kinda see through it. And it never seems in character either, so it just falls flat every time.

Thank you,

Yes it seems this will not be the case with CP2077, but you already said it.

I think I got your point, it would be fun to have a FPP game with hybrid combat between FFXV (in tactical mode) and X-Com.

No it won't. Check out those games mentioned (you can get them for pennies) and you will see that this kind of combat is 20 years out of date in FPS setting.

Top Bottom