What annoying game design trends should Cyberpunk avoid?

+
Fast respawns. I hate respawns, especially really fast ones.. I cleared the area and now that it's clear either a faction that I'm friendly with should take it over or an entirely new faction takes an area over but at least for a certain amount of time it should just be a cleared area. Having the exact same enemies appear in the exact same positions that they were before is simply annoying, especially when you almost immediately get another quest or mission which sends you right back to an area you just cleared..... "What? I was just there a minute ago!!.. I have to clear the whole area again!? Fuck you game!"

What I'd like to see someday is open world games having a set population with a certain amount of that population being dedicated to certain careers, factions and groups and once that set number of the population has dwindled you'd see the effects of that in the game world. .. I mean, Night City is supposed to have a population of around 6 million.. so if it was like New York that'd mean there'd be around 30,000 cops. It'd be doubtful that you'd be able to wipe out 30,000 cops in a game (unless you were extremely dedicated to doing so.) but it'd be cool to see their numbers affecting the game world in some way.

Nah. Obsolete is such a vague word here. Obsolete how, exactly?

It's not an answer that a lot of people like FPP to equal FPS either. And it's kinda creatively bankrupt not to be able to figure out anything for an FPP game than FPS.

Obsolete as "no modern, successful game in last 10 years used this kind of combat system" - seriously: the fact that something can be done does not mean that it's a good idea to do that.

Obsolete as "no modern, successful game in last 10 years used this kind of combat system" - seriously: the fact that something can be done does not mean that it's a good idea to do that.

Correction, no modern game has done it at all in the past 10 years. Or, in the case of what I've been talking about, no game has done it. Why? It's either because no one has thought of it, or because trying something else than the tried and true is risky.

There's no saying whether this or that "if done today, with todays technology and knowhow" would or would not be succesful. Though it would be a fair assumption, that if a game is good - regardless of what design it uses - it would be succesful.

I would say that there's no design that is inherently obsolete (what might be, is the tech and how it was used for it in the past) and suggesting that because something hasn't been done in a while means it's obsolete, is ignorant.

ISO/TB games suddenly jumped out in the mainstream in 2014 and onwards after being more or less ”obsolete" for about a decade and a half, and they are doing well now.

seriously: the fact that something can be done does not mean that it's a good idea to do that.

Nor is it a good idea to discard interesting prospects outright due to a misguided notion, that every concept made in the past is now bad, worn out or unworkable.

Last edited:
Nor is it a good idea to discard interesting prospects outright due to a misguided notion, that every concept made in the past is now bad, worn out or unworkable.

There are plenty of old concepts still working in modern day games. This one does not.

Hell, even V.A.T.S in F3 and F4 is sooooooo bad and immersion breaking it's not even funny.

No it won't. Check out those games mentioned (you can get them for pennies) and you will see that this kind of combat is 20 years out of date in FPS setting.
Well, I meant it would be fun for me...
Post automatically merged:

Then describe how it should work "properly" in FPS setting.
He already referenced his views here, in case you want to check them out.

Last edited:
Then describe how it should work "properly" in FPS setting.

He already referenced his views here,

Thank you. Another one in the sig.

Both are few years old, so there’s that, but the core idea should come about. If not, ask.

Also, I don’t think about it as ”FPS setting”, but ”FPP setting”. A 1st person shooter can be as much a 1st person shooter as it wants. My perspective is always about how it could be a better RPG, and a RPG in the first place.

I know LOTS of people are going to disagree with this, some violently.

But many of the recent 16 hour gameplay reviews have been disappointed CP2077 isn't more of an FPS/Action Game.

Personally I think this is a good thing. It's an RPG not a shooter. If you go into the game wanting/expecting a shooter you're going to be disappointed. The animations, and perhaps controls aren't up to that, and your characters skills will effect your ability to shoot/melee accurately. So many games these days seem to feel they need to appeal (cater?) to the twitch crowd.

Last edited:
Not physically, no. Only character skill based to-hit-chances (and other systems) in FPP combat and the relatively slow pace.

I said earlier not to take the examples "literally", because that's not why I made them.

Then why are you arguing, when I just said to a different person that Daggerfall-like combat is crap and there is a reason why nobody implemented it like this in any modern game?

<clip> Daggerfall-like combat is crap and there is a reason why nobody implemented it like this in any modern game?
Like most game Daggerfall was limited by the technology of the time.
And if you look Minecraft is pretty much the same 8-bit graphics Daggerfall was.

Games VERY rarely limit themselves in terms of graphics and sound etc. because they want to, they do the best they can with what they have to work with. You might as well ask why no one drives Model T's anymore.

This has nothing to do with Daggerfall-like combat.

Because he was referring to my post.
Post automatically merged:

Personally I think this is a good thing. It's an RPG not a shooter.

This is agreeable. But then, combat not being forced fed to the player like in a regular shooter, kinda needs to be accounted for somehow in other aspects of the game.

I.e. what will you be doing while not in combat?

Last edited:
I.e. what will you be doing while not in combat?

From what we have heard, there is a LOT of game outside of combat. The game takes a really slow burn approach. One previewer said they spent several hours without being in combat once.

Even more emphasized by lack of "wandering monster"-type enemies. You can apparently travel around the city freely without fear of random combat..

Last edited:
Top Bottom