What are people's thoughts on the taunt system in GWENT?

+
I'd be happy to see it go. It's a poor substitute for actual player interaction. Same goes for GG, which has been gameified and is mainly used for the rewards, I think.

What you replace it with? Basic chat? Nothing?????!! - both horrendously terrible alternatives!
The taunt system is magnificent, it only lacks option to say "Sorry" and "Oops".
Also it's funny how some characters are just so bad at giving compliments. :p Like Eredin for example, while some others like the Leshen actually say pretty interesting and wisdomful things, the Leshen's sense of humor may be old fashioned but it's very smart, a true honor to philosophy. The Arachas Queen though has a pretty lewd sense of humor which sometimes borders uncomfortable lol.

I agree they were at least funny before HC. Now they're just silly and annoying. I realize they're called "taunts" but why should that be the only option? Even the 'compliments' are generally snide remarks that are just spammed sarcastically. And some leaders don't even speak, or they speak in a fictional language so what's the point? I generally keep all that muted, but if people think they need something like this, why not something more like emotes than taunts? Something to convey a general sense of how you are feeling about the game or the last play. I don't know exactly what that would look like, but the current taunt system is about 3 notches below a meme at this point.

The only thing I miss is a "Greetings" emote. Odd that we don't have anything like that.
Other than that, it is an absolutely mandatory part of the game - especially as one can mute opponents if not interested in their remarks. Having more options is always better. :shrug:

I kind of wish there were more taunts that didn't make you sound like a total a-hole (while keeping the option to be an a-hole for people who want it). I play voorhis a lot because even when hes saying "you're going down" hes kind of a gentleman about it.

The only thing I miss is a "Greetings" emote. Odd that we don't have anything like that.
Other than that, it is an absolutely mandatory part of the game - especially as one can mute opponents if not interested in their remarks. Having more options is always better. :shrug:
Well if it can be muted, then it can't be absolutely necessary :)

I understand what you mean though. Having some way to communicate with your opponent is important. I just don't like the current state of it

Well if it can be muted, then it can't be absolutely necessary :)

I understand what you mean though. Having some way to communicate with your opponent is important. I just don't like the current state of it
Which is fully understandable too. This is why you for example have the option to disable the whole thing - you won't hear anything from your opponent, mabye watch as they try to do some wonky pantomime show without much effect.
The important part I believe here is that it's optional. We can all choose independently and have fun.

"Observe a master in action."
*Scorches self*
:ROFLMAO:

Taunts are great, and you can always mute them (either completely or per match) if you don't like them.
The Dammit one needs to come back; it was versatile and could also be used for mind games (e.g. faking a misplay).
"famous last words right there"

if people think they need something like this, why not something more like emotes than taunts? Something to convey a general sense of how you are feeling about the game or the last play. I don't know exactly what that would look like, but the current taunt system is about 3 notches below a meme at this point.

How about a chat feature? That would be actual communication. That's really the point of my thread. Taunts are a poor substitute for actual communication between people.

Hey, I realise that that this isn't going to happen. You always hear horror stories about people being nasty to one another playing online. It makes sense not to have actual chat in that context. A poor substitute for actual chat is not a substitute for me though.

When I used to play MTG on console, you could communicate with other players. I forget the details of that. Maybe you could do it during the game? Anyway, I'd often get invites. That's the MTG equivalent of taunts...totally automated and formulaic invitations to play another player.

Many times I composed a DM to the players for some reason or another, maybe explaining how it wouldn't be practical to play against them. That was a waste of time because they didn't have a formulaic, automated response to choose from. It's the same as when GWENT players want to 'friend' me. I DM them asking them what the point of that is, as you can't actually choose to play each other. I'd never hear back from them. Since I don't see the point of 'friending' someone on GWENT, I end up not accepting.

Anyway, there are some amusing taunts. The ones for Alzur have been funny. Even the ones that aren't funny are funny...when you put a helmet on him and he says his lines sounding like he's in a metal tank. Well, that's the pre-match taunt. I can't say I remember his in-game taunts. Taunts in general are pretty meh and they get old quickly anyway.

Last edited:
The Dammit one needs to come back; it was versatile and could also be used for mind games (e.g. faking a misplay).
ROFL just remembered a Video I watched during that time of someone trying to force the Opponent to play
Saesenthessis: Blaze (Banish your hand and draw that many cards.) where he "accidentally" gave the Opponent Avallac'h:Sage (spawn and play a random Gold Card from your opponents starting Deck) with Shilard (OB version of Isbel of Hagge) and commented it with the Dammit taunt "What? No! How?!" in the hope that the opponent instantly uses Sage and that he highrolls in to Saesenthessis and ends up banishing his entire hand :coolstory:, oh man I really miss the crazy stuff you could do in the open beta Version.

But yeah they really should bring back those Dammit taunts because those where the most fun and useful ones, apart from that I'm actually fine with the current taunt system.

Taunts are OK, but i would like to have an option to disable taunt animations along with the sound. I don't want my opponent to have the ability to comunicate with me in any way, shape or form. Communication between teammates is mostly usefull, communication between enemies is mostly toxic.

Taunts are OK, but i would like to have an option to disable taunt animations along with the sound. I don't want my opponent to have the ability to comunicate with me in any way, shape or form. Communication between teammates is mostly usefull, communication between enemies is mostly toxic.

Sometimes I assume that people use the in-game speech in a friendly manner. They're not all taunts, right? Either way, the messages are just an inane method of communicating with people. It makes as much as sense as there being an emoji for every thought that you could ever have. Sure, for some people that's true but you know what i mean.

What would be super cool would be if for example two Leshens could understand each other and instead of seeing "......." you actually can read real words of what they're telling you!!! :O Same would go for all other leaders who speak in some language we humans can't understand... Like Arachas Queen and another Arachas Queen matchup :D

What would be super cool would be if for example two Leshens could understand each other and instead of seeing "......." you actually can read real words of what they're telling you!!! :O Same would go for all other leaders who speak in some language we humans can't understand... Like Arachas Queen and another Arachas Queen matchup :D
Or maybe.. just maybe... that "..........." is exactly what they say in their own language! :D

Top Bottom