What are people's thoughts on the taunt system in GWENT?

+
The way I see it, taunts are just there to annoy your opponent, letting them know you're about to crush them or to hurry them up endlessly until the ball is passed back. Either way it doesn't need to go, as I have it perma shut off anyway.

For my part ... I am really enjoying the taunts. Sure, some of them are not "nice" - but can you image some of the characters wishing you a splendid day and congratulate him/her on some annoying ......... (insert your most hated faction here) play? The Witcher Universe is dark and gruesome. Not too many nice people around - at least in the games. I am glad they do not cuddle but fight for power on the board.

The idea by Sensimilius with the specific language is great!

What would be super cool would be if for example two Leshens could understand each other and instead of seeing "......." you actually can read real words of what they're telling you!!! :O Same would go for all other leaders who speak in some language we humans can't understand... Like Arachas Queen and another Arachas Queen matchup :D
And if you play as AQ, human leaders should sound like "........" as well. :)

They aren't useful or fun, tbh. The only one I ever really use is Well Played, both sincerely and sarcastically. Couldn't tell you what the rest of them even are. I think they need to do a bit of work on them to make them more interesting.

Taunts are in most cases annoying and often used to humiliate.
I don't use them and I dislike when someone uses them against me.
Only some are funny, but the funny ones aren't used too often, as I noticed.

I do wish there was a polite way to ask an opponent if they forgot to end their turn. I sometimes forget and don’t notice until the time bar appears. I think the same happens to some opponents.

The way I see it, taunts are just there to annoy your opponent, letting them know you're about to crush them or to hurry them up endlessly until the ball is passed back. Either way it doesn't need to go, as I have it perma shut off anyway.

Is there anything better than someone taunting you because they think that they are just about to obliterate you for the round 3 victory and...they're a damp squib?
Post automatically merged:

I do wish there was a polite way to ask an opponent if they forgot to end their turn. I sometimes forget and don’t notice until the time bar appears. I think the same happens to some opponents.

That happens to me a lot, too.

I just couldn't resist to say this...
Some people apparently do not realize, that using taunts the way they use them, is simply a 'clownery'. Examples:
1. I'm playing absolute garbage deck for a quest (e.g. play 30 neutral cards) built of random cards with zero synergies or any strategy behind it. The opponent is up by safe margin to pass and passes, so that I can lose card advantage. I keep playing cards until I'm left with none even though I could have passed 3 turns earlier. The opponent sees he has already won, and decides to spam taunts to emphisize his 'superiority'.
2. It's round 3 and the opponent is up by a lot. He's convinced that there's no way for him to lose, and so he starts his taunt spam. Yet he apparently did not hear of the 'don't cackle before your egg is laid' proverb, and gets silenced in defeat.
3. The opponent is playing a meta netdeck, a pretty much self-playing deck. I'm playing a crap homebrew deck. The opponent recognizes his superiority and starts taunting as if his inevitable win was a result of a brilliance of his mind.

I taunt for the taunt quest. I try to stick with the nicer ones but sometimes they sound ruder than I intended.

It adds nice flavour to the game and all seem BM, I would like to see a hello or good game (not a sarcastic one), but all in all, it's a little different but still cool.

The only thing I miss is a "Greetings" emote. Odd that we don't have anything like that.
People will just mechanically spam it same as they do with GGs. Taunts are mostly pointless except for the "Hurry Up" which sometimes actually wakes people from a coma. And this can be replaced by a modification to the "End turn" button when it's inactive during your opponent's turn.

People will just mechanically spam it same as they do with GGs. Taunts are mostly pointless except for the "Hurry Up" which sometimes actually wakes people from a coma. And this can be replaced by a modification to the "End turn" button when it's inactive during your opponent's turn.
I'd say my experience on these things you listed is the exact opposite, but I believe we had this discussion already sometimes in the past.

- I for example never mechanically spam GGs;
- If anyone sends me a "Hurry up" emote they are in for a ride of roping for the rest of the round. Not for the game, as it needs to have at least a modicum of exemplary nature, so they can improve being patient and prove in the next round what they learned. Fun times for everyone. Or not, such is the nature of exercise. :shrug:

As you can see, we all are different, with different taste, trigger points, and so on. Having something optional is the name of the game here.

- I for example never mechanically spam GGs;
Thanks for that. Honestly.
- If anyone sends me a "Hurry up" emote they are in for a ride of roping for the rest of the round.
You don't think people who turn by turn run into the final "ticking" seconds of the timer should be reminded that turn time and opponent's patience are finite? They are already "roping", so how else will they punish me?
As you can see, we all are different, with different taste, trigger points, and so on. Having something optional is the name of the game here.
I agree, but we're talking the taunt system specifically here. And I still think it's (mostly) useless. Taunts are too limited and specific to show your actual emotions during the match, they're not complex enough to replace actual interaction, and taunts like "Watch and learn", "You're finished" or "Big mistake" seldom make players reevaluate their turn or playstyle, just irritating them in most cases. Sarcastic use of "Thank you" is often even worse. Non-sarcastically I use it when my opponent has passed, but I have cards to play for the quest, so it's more of a "Sorry for wasting more of your time". "Hurry up" can at least wake an opponent who's too lost in thoughts.
If you want to discuss the game with your opponent - why not send a request and chat with normal words after the match (if they also want it)?

Last edited:
I remember when I used to play that I thought If I choose to disable the taunt it should disable the animation as well. Seeing the Elf leader constantly blowing kisses is a griefer's paradise. Also if I am taunted twice without a response on my part or vice versa it should disable the taunt otherwise it only caters to those that wish to abuse it.

Top Bottom