What are your opinions on the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher

+
With all the negative comments about downloading and installation I've read I feel the need to counter some of that with my opinion.The difference from the early game I played and this one is NIGHT AND DAY. My rig teeters on the edge of the minimum requirements and I struggled with having to change the resolution to 800x600 and removing all the visual eye candy. Even then, it was like I was looking at a slideshow at times.

I played through the original last April and it became one of my all time favorites. I just upgraded to EE and am very impressed. Just finished playing Chapter 1 and I feel like I have come back home again to a brand new beautiful house. The load times are awesome and the game looks better than ever. (Did Triss's room always look that nice?) Sorry I never posted before here. But since you made me register, I just had to at least contribute another big [size=20pt]THANK YOU!!![/size]

I am disappointed that walking in OTS view was not implemented. It seemed to be important to a good portion of the community, but somehow it wasn't addressed.Being able to walk in an "RPG-Like" game is a big deal to me. I don't want to feel like I am running around like Super Mario or Prince of Persia. Sadly, this is a deal-breaker for me. I bought the standard edition recently and I stopped playing shortly after getting to Vizima because I was tired of "side-strafing" in OTS view to get Geralt to walk. I patiently waited for the enhanced edition in hopes that it would have been included.It seemed like a good game from the limited time I had with it. But the immersion-breaking "running all the time" is just not working out for me.

I didn't have any issues downloading the patches - with FlashGet they downloaded pretty quickly even from the original source. I did have a lot of trouble running the updater .exe though... which I shouldn't have. Considering it patches for up to two hours, you shouldn't have to disable every single ounce of firewall and antivirus to run it. I really dislike leaving my computer vulnerable for that long.Buuut... man, the EE is sure worth the wait ^^ I haven't resetarted the main quest yet, but playing through Side Effects is tremendous. In terms of technical achievement, it is seriously like such a different game. Loading times... well, to me they seem like they've gone down a lot less than 80% rather than get frustrated by them I barely even notice them.... the difference is amazing. Moreover, it's ridiculously stable, no more CTDs every few hours. And, I've no idea what happened, but before inside crowded cities, I'd often drop to 10-15fps when running it at 1280x960. Now? I can run it at 1920x1080 with utterly smooth framerates (except in a few dialogues). It's incredible.I honestly can't find a single fault with the game. It's perfect.Well, except that Geralt still can't walk in OTS XD

Awesome experience.The opening cinema of the game itself has been much improved.Faster performance.More dialogue.More emotes.Fewer bugs (minor, like the funeral scene the voice actors cross over each other).I think I may get behind in my studies. ;DThis is a joy to play.Thank you.

Thank you all for leaving your comments :)If other people would like to contribute, go ahead and for those who already left a comment don't hesitate to come back and leave an updated impression when you get further into the game 8)I can only agree with what was posted, that graphics look indeed more colorful and slicker, good voice over improvements and dialogue lines, amazing character improvements and loading times that are for sure 80% faster than with the original game.Been playing for about 4 hours now and haven't had one single crash.One of the better RPG's of all time!Got just one little problem with EAX greyed out but I still have to look into that and I'm sure I can find a solution on the technical board for it.Update: yep solution found herewith alchemy ;)More opinions please... :beer:Edit:One more thing.I really do hope that we get to see some more fantastic work of you guys be it in The Witcher 2 or another fine RPG cause if someone can pull it off its you guys :peace:

Hi witchers,my opinion is that the developers have done a really great job! I've barely(if ever) have seen such a great free update a year after the game was released. The changes are really cool and now The Witcher is my favourite RPG. Before witcher it was Morrowind because of the freedom. But the story and characters seen in the Witcher make you really feel a part of the story. I also never had so much fun playing a game again from the beginning, it just doesnt get old or boring.For the download problems, i dont think its a big deal, i was able to get the game yesterday(after i found the fileshack link lol) and so im happy. Could have been much worse, like a delay or something where you know you wont get it until a later date.But next time please up the patch on some download sites or create an official torrent like people said before me.So what have i actually seen so far?New voice overs/dialoges/gestures: I like them!!! Really great job! (I must say i am austrian but i just tryed the english version, i never bother with german versions because they are never as good as the english ones. Didnt even try them in the original) Improved loading times: Also a great job. They were good in 1.3 and now even better!New Inventory: The complete must have, i think it cuts down the time in the inv and looting by one third!Graphics and Performance: Didnt mention a difference, it ran perfect on my pc before and also looked nice so dunno about that.New character skins: That was a thing that bothered me from the beginning, over and over the same npcs, but now with the new skins its another big improvement!New Adventures: Will try them when i get bored from the main story, dont think that will be soon :DA big plus is that its a free upgrade! Other developers might have charged 10 bucks or something for the upgrade, great job!!!!So thats all i got for now. Sorry for crappy english and grammar/spelling mistakes you might find. As i mentioned i am austrian and we are famous for crappy english (watch conan the barbar with arnie, i laughed so much when i saw the original version).So felllow witchers, have a great time and leave no monsters alive!Greets,the GoDReWtA

Eh, new voiceover sounds a little weird, I actually really enjoyed the original one even if it was not exactly proper english. (maybe because of this)

Good job! But unfortunately game is still crashing :-X But new animations looks so much better than old ones. Now npc have many facial expressions than just 2-3 like before pacth. ;)

Yaggaz said:
Buggy, untested garbage
Care to at least enlight us on that and give more details?You're allowed to post your opinion cause that's what this thread is for but with such sort comments the devs get no added value to at least have a look into it.

Sheathanaich said:
...I hope CDRED removed the one of Geralt swinging his sword by holding the blade and smashing the body with the hilt, as that looked to hard to do in real life.
No, it's still there, it was the first one I did.Virtually the same comments as others regarding the inventory and animations. Also, making Vesemir not call Triss "Babe" in the Prologue improved the game immediately for me.

Simply brilliant. The improved inventory and the speedier load times reduce some of the frustration encountered playing the original version, but it is the improved dialogue that is the best feature for me. Like many others playing the English language version I found the dialogue of the original version to be a little off putting and sometimes confusing. The EE changes that and adds immeasurably to the immersion factor as does the improved animations and the variety of npcs.I must say I am really impressed with the developers. This amount of dedication to improving a game and the commitment to the fans is almost unheard of. A big thumbs up to them and I am looking forward to seeing their future projects.

I had intended to start downloading early on the 19th, but I managed to forget and only remembered late that day - nearly midnight. So I started all the downloads and left the computer on overnight. When I got up this morning, they were all done and the Enhanced Edition has just installed perfectly. Woohoo! :)Thank you, CDProjekt, for caring about your customers! This kind of genuine attention to detail and passion for delivering an excellent game will net you many long-term fans. I didn't buy the EE for myself (as I said already, I downloaded it), but I did buy a copy for a friend as a gift, because I believe in supporting companies who have this positive attitude to their fan base. (Same reason that I bought the premium modules for Neverwinter Nights, even those I didn't intend to play - Infinite Dungeons, anyone? - because Bioware is a great company that, six years after the release of NWN, were still offering awesome patches and content upgrades.) I really can't wait to see the next project that comes from your studio. Kudos, ladies and gentlemen! ;D

Yes, I strongly recommended the game to friends, too. Heck, I even did a reader preview of the normal edition of TW back then for a german magazne (pc games), where a bunch of people are invited to test the game early on and later their impressions are printed in the magazine. All of us testers were blown away really and we didnt hide that from the public ;).So, I think there is room for good sales of TWEE - hope you get rewarded for the effort. Renownwise you will get anyway!

Started a new game and have just finished up Outskirts Vizima (I was taking my time to stroll through it)..Good*The dialogues alone make it worth it. The choppy wooden sounding sentences in the original now flow much more smoothly and natural sounding.*Missing context is restored! Now the conversations make a lot more sense instead of a player having the distinct feeling they missed something.*Inventory is great. Now no more rummaging for some ectoplasm through 5 billion other things.*Character "body language" vastly improved. Amazing what a single gesture can do - though I'm am worried that Kalstiens 'nervous little bounce' is gone.*Poker AI vastly improved - the computer actually tries to win now - keeping pairs, etc.*Transitions seem a bit faster (though they were always fast for me)*Love the 'Indiana Jones' style travel map - the moving line across the map shows Temeria is a big place and not just a dinky town on a swamp.*Having some variety in the appearance of the drowners/ghouls makes facing them less of a chore than a clone attack.Mixed:*The Reverends "beard skin" doesnt quite match up with his face skin in different lighting. At night his lips/cheeks are pink whikle the rest of his face is blue tinted. The beard hair is great though*Some of the other voices are odd sounding (possibly due to being used to the old ones), others are fine. Do miss the old Lambert though :p*The random colouring is interesting and definetly does 'fake'there being more people to a degree (until you talk to them and have a 'face closeup') - annoying when trying to track down a specific person (the one wearinng the green dress...no now the red one...uh) as it resets each time you enter the area.Bad:*Zoltan's (and the Blacksmiths) hands have some serious clipping issues in "conversation mode". Probably due to mapping human motion capture onto dwarves*Problem with a few other characters textures - you see a distinct 'skin line' where their head connects to the body.*Broggs stuttering gets on my nerves very fast. *Activating EAX is a crap shoot*The ocassional weird physics problems - at one point I dropped a book and it started bouncing 5 feet in the air for a few minutes.*Dice poker is harder now - no more easy money :pNext stop - see what Vincent, Marlowe and Carmen are like in Act 2....

Top Bottom