What are your opinions on the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher

+
I just had to note in this thread that last night I beat The Witcher EE for the first time.Holy crap!Chapter 4 honestly had me a little confused, just because it has little to do with the previous 2 chapters. Certain major plotlines are put on "Pause" until the finale of the chapter.During Chapter 5, it was honestly very difficult to save the game and turn it off once in awhile. I wanted to play through the whole thing to conclusion right then and there. It's funny, I think I actually want to load up an old saved game in the middle of Chapter 5, because I never completed a bunch of quests. You're handed a bunch of quests in Old Vizima, I completed them, but then I never went back to actually finish them. For example, the quest for Raven's armor. I might want to go do that one just to see how it looks.I played through the game on "Hard" difficulty and really had no problem at all. I died several times, and The Beast was the only fight that gave me a lot of trouble. I never played with Bombs at all the entire game, and I didn't put too many points into the spells, which I thought was indicative that "Hard" mode isn't quite hard enough. I know, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment, I like being challenged. The Witcher had some GOOD challenge, especially near the end in Chapter 5, but I could have used just a tad more.Anyways, great game I enjoyed it very much. I think The Witcher is one of those rare PC games that I'll be re-installing on my system every year or two to re-play again. It's that good.So on that note, give me sequels and expansions! (for the PC :) )

I just finished my first play through the EE. I have some more comments:Many things have been said about the new dialogues and voices. Few lines were better in the original game and few are better now. The whole feeling was neutral to me. I liked that Geralt now talks more normal and not so "I 'm the bad guy" style. In some cases, fewer words are better, like the line "Witcher George" that changed into "Witcher George slaying the dragon". Not a good change. And i found more lines like this.I think some times actors were talking too hasty, which doesn't sound well. I missed the old Leo's voice, it was very characteristic. And the surprise: i liked the new Foltest's voice. Sure, the previous was better, but this one is good too. The same with Berengar.One thing that bothered me: Foltest's servant saying:"Your Highness, Master", with Geralt's voice! :eek: That was nasty!Since i started with voices, i must say that although the English voice-over is very good, the Polish one is probably the best!Other stuff: My game now runs smoother than ever, not one crash (i had few little problems with the original game). The movements of the swords are faster and look great.The inventory (yes, it's mentioned so many times, but i have to say it too ;D ) is perfect now! NPCs didn't change much, they only have different color on their clothes, and this is something that looks like a hasty job on the new edition. (Sorry guys, but if you announce something then do it good. ;) ). I only saw few changes on npcs. But it was a good enough change at least the new Carmen (who is different now from the Lady of the Night). ;DI love the new "moving" main menu screen, with the clouds and the birds flying! Oh, i must not forget! :eek: Now the party is even better! It's longer, with more lines, funnier than ever! Good job there!That's it! The final feeling from the EE is that i had some very pleasant surprises from a game i loved from it's beginning.

I welcome the language packs and the easy to change options to try different languages. So when others talk about the voice of Geralt e.g. in English I can listen to is as well and other languages. Right now I listen to the Polish version... don't understand one word with the exception of Wiedźmin but I can read the subtitles in my language ;D

I think it's good that inventory space has been extended so you can carry more. Loading times are improved (shorter). I love that those extra mini stories have their own spoken dialog I enjoy those much more now. And you can shoose different languages, I haven't used this one (even though) it's on Polsih (worse than my english), but at least I train my polish a bit this way.In short; ;D :peace:

I finally beat The Witcher last night. All I can say is"wow." Instant classic in my opinion.Besides some of the side characters having weak voice acting, I really can't fault the game anywhere. It's long as hell, something most RPG's should be but these days aren't. All it's various "systems" are executed magnificently (leveling up, alchemy, etc.). The fighting strikes a perfect balance between real-time and turn-based...just the timed clicking makes you feel like you're actually fighting, while the number crunching leaves it still RPGish. The best part though, by far, is the story. I can't think of many other games with such a deep, adult, and thoughtful story. It would have been so easy to be cheap and go the simplistic route of forcing you to be an obnoxiously righteous and do-goodery uber savior of the lands, or a shallow comic-book like ultra villain who twirls his handlebar moustache while kicking peasants into lava...but thankfully they didn't. "Just decisions and consequences" was the perfect approach. And about the "adult" aspect...it's not the sex cards, it's not the blood, the adult aspect about the story I loved was the inclusion of very dark and disturbing plot devices. Practically the whole game revolves around racism, race war, persecution, ethnic cleansing, "master races," etc. I can't think of another game that's dared to touch that kind of subject matter with a 10 foot pole, let alone one that did it so artfully and tactfully as The Witcher.Clearly superior to the multi-platform big boys Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Just excellent :)Just a note: I hope you (CD Projekt) have great success with the console version of The Witcher...just don't forget where you came from. I hope The Witcher 2 for PC is just as complex and deep as a PC game should be, just like the first Witcher. Please don't turn The Witcher into Mass Effect!

I love this game. I had been looking for something that matched the first 2 games I bought, Baldur's Gate II and Diablo II for a long time now. This game is right up there. I'm only part way thru chapter 2 so far. The combat system, while very simple, is somehow real interesting. You are sometimes surprised what Geralt does, like finishing moves, and when you add a new level to a skill he does back stabs and flips. The storyline is excellent. The NPC's are all well done. The "mature themes" are refreshing in this game, I've gotten tired of silly gnomes and such. Some of the voice acting is a little sub-par. Like Dandelion sounds kind of nerdy and Carmen's voice doesn't match her sexiness. But yeah, this is one of 8 or so translations of the game so I'm aware the Polish version is probably best.Keep it up CDproject. I'll keep buying your games if they are this quality and recommend them to others.

I am pleased to announce that general merchandisers have copies of The original Witcher on the shelves, at eye level, where people can see them.I have been looking for quite a while now, and I was beginning to worry, but that is over.I only mention this because we all know the game has been available for a while, but now, I am seeing them in regular stores, and that makes me happy. More people are going to see it, buy it, and become engaged in this universe that we all love so much. Yea! To the Witcher team! I hope You reach a couple of more million copies soon. Happy Dancing all over the place.

Okay, several months ago (I believe in September) I promised some folks in another thread that I'd give a heads up when NCIX had The Witcher:Enhanced Edition in stock. Well, they finally have it and I picked up my copy today. This is the unedited import version for those that are concerned about whether it's censored or not.Love the extra goodies, and I feel it was well worth spending the money on the game again. Thanks, CDProjekt. You guys rock.Anyway... W00t!

Coelocanth said:
Okay, several months ago (I believe in September) I promised some folks in another thread that I'd give a heads up when NCIX had The Witcher:Enhanced Edition in stock. Well, they finally have it and I picked up my copy today. This is the unedited import version for those that are concerned about whether it's censored or not.Love the extra goodies, and I feel it was well worth spending the money on the game again. Thanks, CDProjekt. You guys rock.Anyway... W00t!
That's a bit late but we are very happy you enjoy TW.Have a nice time with it :)

Yeah, I and a couple others really pestered NCIX about getting it in. Too bad it took so long, though. I could have bought it at a number of other shops, but they only had the censored North American editions. I wanted the uncensored edition,as I bought the censored NA edition way back when it first came out, so I was willing to wait. Since I've played a few other games in the interim, this will be a nice, fresh start of The Witcher for me. Win/win, the way I see it. ;D

I posted awhile ago about how the enhanced edition doesn't seem so enhanced and I basically just talked trash about it. Well today I reinstalled the game and the enhanced edition patch and played for hours and hours. All the enhancements, the new animations, improved graphics, faster load times, new dialog are very very nice. I seem to be more immersed in the game than I was before. The gestures during conversations make it seem more real and less wooden if you know what I mean. I am really loving it! Thanks CD Projekt for caring about us!

Nice to hear you're having fun with it but I have to ask: had you played the enhanced version when you were trashing it before or were you just going by what you read about it?

I had one hellava time trying to get the enhanced version patch installed last time. When I finally got it installed I was disappointed that my frame rates was not silky smooth. I also got some strange error about 10 minutes into playing and then just decided that I wasn't seeing anything "enhanced" and uninstalled it from my system. This time the enhanced edition patch was installed painlessly and so far I have had only one lock up. I was only going to give the game about 15 minutes so see what the "enhancements" are but I was having so much fun that many hours went by and I decided that I like this enhanced version. ;D

I understand your dissatisfaction. I'm also at war with all technical stuff. And if something works smoothly right from the scratch as it should be... I get slighty bad tempered. It takes quite a time until I give it an other try. I found out, it's easy if I take a deep breath and relax before I start a new attempt :whistle:But it's nice to read finally you could get to the core of the game and enjoyed it :beer:

@ captmorgan72It takes a Wise person to admit that they made a mistake I'm glad you came back and had a much easier time with the TWEE.I must say I'M one of the lucky ones I got the TWEE it installed with no trouble at all.I'M also Glad that you are Enjoying the game to it full that what gaming is all about IMO :beer:

Top Bottom