What are your opinions on the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher

+
I remember it took me ages to install it and once it did install, I didn't see any technical changes per se, however, the inverntory has become much more humane and load time seems to be shorter. But then again, maybe that's just a placebo effect? You see the words "Enhanced Edition" and "Shorter Load Time" and it's as if a switch goes off in your brain and you start seeing improvments that are all in your head... But perhaps that's just me being paranoid...

Just to add, I just bought(couple of days ago) theUK Enhanced Edition of the game(40 euros in Netherlands) and I am really enjoying it too, congratulations for making such a great game, I didn't truly have as much fun like this in the PC since the first time I played Diablo 2 or Planescape Torment!

A first rate experience with a first class game. Other developers could learn a thing or two by playing through this example of what a game should be. ;D

Finally started my play through of the EE and although I'm only just at the beginning (looking for the ingredients for a potion to cure Triss), I can already see a big difference in the dialog. Very nice.

Graphic said:
I finally beat The Witcher last night. All I can say is"wow." Instant classic in my opinion.Besides some of the side characters having weak voice acting, I really can't fault the game anywhere. It's long as hell, something most RPG's should be but these days aren't. All it's various "systems" are executed magnificently (leveling up, alchemy, etc.). The fighting strikes a perfect balance between real-time and turn-based...just the timed clicking makes you feel like you're actually fighting, while the number crunching leaves it still RPGish. The best part though, by far, is the story. I can't think of many other games with such a deep, adult, and thoughtful story. It would have been so easy to be cheap and go the simplistic route of forcing you to be an obnoxiously righteous and do-goodery uber savior of the lands, or a shallow comic-book like ultra villain who twirls his handlebar moustache while kicking peasants into lava...but thankfully they didn't. "Just decisions and consequences" was the perfect approach. And about the "adult" aspect...it's not the sex cards, it's not the blood, the adult aspect about the story I loved was the inclusion of very dark and disturbing plot devices. Practically the whole game revolves around racism, race war, persecution, ethnic cleansing, "master races," etc. I can't think of another game that's dared to touch that kind of subject matter with a 10 foot pole, let alone one that did it so artfully and tactfully as The Witcher.Clearly superior to the multi-platform big boys Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Just excellent :)Just a note: I hope you (CD Projekt) have great success with the console version of The Witcher...just don't forget where you came from. I hope The Witcher 2 for PC is just as complex and deep as a PC game should be, just like the first Witcher. Please don't turn The Witcher into Mass Effect!
I agree completely about The Witcher, great story, probably the second or third best game that I ever played when it comes to immersion(no game can make me feel like Planescape Torment though)! But I don't agree with you about Mass Effect! I liked Mass Effect a lot, it is just my kind of story, I can see why not everyone would like it though.But Fallout 3 is indeed crap. It has no depth, no immersion(I still played it most of the way and will probably complete it though, one day), how could they mess it up so much when Fallout 2 was such a classic?!? Money that is. I hope this great Polish company won't ruin their next games only because of money! Please take it as an example not to follow! That said, good luck with the console title, if it is only half as good as Witcher EE you are truly set! :D

I myself have played TW more time then I care to count LOL From me the EE was a big change from the veary first time I played the First copy of TW.I found the loading time a lot faster and the refresh rate a lot smoother

looks like a classic - real pity its bug ridden mess for vista64 enjoyed the small glimpses of a could be great game to immerse into if it not for the random cutscene and everything but the actual 3d world crashing like a 1hp monsterwaiting for the next patch, done all the reccommended fixes.could be a successor to fallout 1 & 2 in sense of just being a great story thats not for the lame, just the compatibility is... anyhows - Game = 10 , Bug Crash fest = 1

Kind of disappointing because the gameplay didn't improve, especially chapters 3&5. The new dialouge didn't help any and the original voices are much better. The lag/hesitation /erratic movement is still there and still too many ctd's. Smooth gameplay and very rare Ctd's is my main concern in a game and that didn't happen. I went back to 1.2 and after the last ctd I quit and put the game away. If there's no further improvement, maybe by modders, that's it for me. I'm 62 years old and I can't play the console games. Another major patch to fix the gameplay issues is needed.

wizgeorge said:
Kind of disappointing because the gameplay didn't improve, especially chapters 3&5. The new dialouge didn't help any and the original voices are much better. The lag/hesitation /erratic movement is still there and still too many ctd's. Smooth gameplay and very rare Ctd's is my main concern in a game and that didn't happen. I went back to 1.2 and after the last ctd I quit and put the game away. If there's no further improvement, maybe by modders, that's it for me. I'm 62 years old and I can't play the console games. Another major patch to fix the gameplay issues is needed.
To me it's clear that the game has become more stable for every patch. Now it crashes only when quitting, which I don't mind much :). Sorry to say, but your problems seems related to your computer: lag/hesitation is almost certainly so (don't know what you mean with "erratic" movements). If you're willing to give it another try (the game's worth it!), try playing on lowest graphical settings and try to shut down every possible program/process that is running simultaneously on the computer.

I have one of the finest computers money can buy custom built by a Microsoft certified IT pro. Sorry, but chapters 3 and 5 do not play smoothly. The trade quarter is a prime example. But, with the move to the consoles I wont be playing much anyway. I still don't think EE1.4 was much of an improvement over 1.3.

wizgeorge said:
I have one of the finest computers money can buy custom built by a Microsoft certified IT pro. Sorry, but chapters 3 and 5 do not play smoothly. The trade quarter is a prime example. But, with the move to the consoles I wont be playing much anyway. I still don't think EE1.4 was much of an improvement over 1.3.
they're way bigger and everybody wants to play them with the same settings used in the previous chapters, lower the settings

Why?After I finished "The Witcher" it has ruined other games. I used to really, really enjoy my 1-2 nights per week away from the girlfriend, where it was just myself, some magical smokable herb, and 6 hour sessions of gaming on my HD monitor, SLI video cards, and huge audio system.At this point, it's been over a year since The Witcher was released, and I still have not found a game that comes close to the production values, storyline, and value that The Witcher offers. It is an amazing game.Please, I hope someone is working on The Witcher 2 because I can't play other games now. I guess I will play The Witcher through again for the 3rd time.

@ WeNeedWitcher2 Why you ask well I will tell you young witcher ;)It is because this game raised the bar on how rpgs should be made and you are not alone in finding a game that matches TW :evil:And I know for myself I'm hoping for a TW2 as well

Planewalker said:
Planewalker said:
Planewalker said:
Planewalker said:
One thing I been wondering though... wasn't Triss supposed to get a new model? My Triss look like the old one... (I think) :wave:
Have you seen her in the trade district yet? :D
Nu-uh, just did, she looks just like she did in the original Witcher! :peace:
My Triss was slightly glitched at the beginning of Act III. Her long hair stuck rigidly forward as if the mirror in front of her was a big vacuum cleaner, giving me the impression that she had a long beard. ;D Too bad I forgot to take a screenshot.
My Triss was horribly glitched. her hair was sticking straight out and part of her head mesh was missing as well as the hair going back and forth through her head. It was VERY ugly and ruined that part of the game for me.

SpiritedTreasure said:
My Triss was horribly glitched. her hair was sticking straight out and part of her head mesh was missing as well as the hair going back and forth through her head. It was VERY ugly and ruined that part of the game for me.
any mods installed?

After playing the first version of the witcher i now play the enhanced edition.Since i already own the game before i upgraded with the big patch. Upgrading takes a while. I noticed one little mistake, think that the devs have overseen this. After the installer searched if your game is registered you have to log in with your username and password.That login thing is set in polish and my polish isn't great. After waiting for an hour and a half the installing was finally finished and i could begin with playing.The first change i noticed is the launcher. Offcourse it says now enhanced edition, but the quit has vanished. Instead of quit you now have a cross in the upper rightcorner.Then the game itself. The loading goes faster, but this was also the case with the 1.3 patch. But i think it got more improved.The characters are still looking the same. Not much change here. The dialog, now that's an other thing. Triss sounds now more friendly in the prologue at kaer morhen and more female. Also when she is hit by the mysterious mage and you have to bring her the potion she sounds more normal and more like she has pain instead of sounding like she is pregnant and the baby is coming. Other change is that vesemir doesn't called triss babe anymore.Geralt sounds more straight forward, like he doesn't trust anybody yet. I think one other change is that it seemsthe fighting is gonna a bit faster. Especially the fistfighting is somewhat faster.Talking about fistfighting; i noticed that the fighters say "hit me, chickie". Not a good change. Sounds a bit lame. I liked the old behaviour of the fistfighters more. They also sound more like some whimpy fighters instead of real fighters. What i do like is that they have different clothes now, instead of all the same. I have also the idea that The Beast spawns more barghests when you combat it, which turns out that abigail is becoming unconcious very quick (luckily she can't die when you saved her from the angy mob) Not much changes in the outskirts. People are still the same and looking the same. Only the clothes of some are changed, like that of the village militia in the main village. I noticed one thing when you go from the prologue to act I. After the funeral of Leo and saying goodbye to rest you then see a map marking your route to temeria and you see through which cities you travel to the outskirts of Vizima. Nice touch. In Vizima itself not much has changed, for so far as i see. At the moment i am in act II with that detective stuff. There is one little change.The non-human district has now a name and is called little mahakam. Other then the earlier mentioned fistfighters the rest is not changed, except some dialogues here and there.Overall i think the enhanced edition is a good improvement, making things faster and better. It's only too bad from the fistfighters, which i find not an improvement at all. That's a great loss.1 tip for the developers next time: when you made such a big upgrade patch again try to find a better host or improve at last the speed.Cause waiting 12 hours to finish your download is not from this time anymore and is also very annoying.

I just finished the Enhanced Edition version of the game, and i was completely thrilled with the experience. The only hitch i had was when i went to install the EE retail version and a scratch on the CD prevented me from doing so! So i just installed the original retail and patched to play the EE version.I'm a huge fan on the game's score and I was wondering if there was anywhere you could download the complete soundtrack to the game, i got the one that came with the EE edition but it doesn't have some of my favorite tracks from the game, like the music from the Lakeside (both Night and Day tracks, both are fantastic), and also the piece that place in several places but the one that springs to mind is Temple Quarter during Night time.Thanks!

You can probably find them in your Music folder (or one of the sub folders in the Music folder) in your game installation. They're in .ogg format, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a player that will play them or converting them to another format.

candesco said:
After playing the first version of the witcher i now play the enhanced edition.Since i already own the game before i upgraded with the big patch. Upgrading takes a while. I noticed one little mistake, think that the devs have overseen this. After the installer searched if your game is registered you have to log in with your username and password.That login thing is set in polish and my polish isn't great. After waiting for an hour and a half the installing was finally finished and i could begin with playing.The first change i noticed is the launcher. Offcourse it says now enhanced edition, but the quit has vanished. Instead of quit you now have a cross in the upper rightcorner.Then the game itself. The loading goes faster, but this was also the case with the 1.3 patch. But i think it got more improved.The characters are still looking the same. Not much change here. The dialog, now that's an other thing. Triss sounds now more friendly in the prologue at kaer morhen and more female. Also when she is hit by the mysterious mage and you have to bring her the potion she sounds more normal and more like she has pain instead of sounding like she is pregnant and the baby is coming. Other change is that vesemir doesn't called triss babe anymore.Geralt sounds more straight forward, like he doesn't trust anybody yet. I think one other change is that it seemsthe fighting is gonna a bit faster. Especially the fistfighting is somewhat faster.Talking about fistfighting; i noticed that the fighters say "hit me, chickie". Not a good change. Sounds a bit lame. I liked the old behaviour of the fistfighters more. They also sound more like some whimpy fighters instead of real fighters. What i do like is that they have different clothes now, instead of all the same. I have also the idea that The Beast spawns more barghests when you combat it, which turns out that abigail is becoming unconcious very quick (luckily she can't die when you saved her from the angy mob) Not much changes in the outskirts. People are still the same and looking the same. Only the clothes of some are changed, like that of the village militia in the main village. I noticed one thing when you go from the prologue to act I. After the funeral of Leo and saying goodbye to rest you then see a map marking your route to temeria and you see through which cities you travel to the outskirts of Vizima. Nice touch. In Vizima itself not much has changed, for so far as i see. At the moment i am in act II with that detective stuff. There is one little change.The non-human district has now a name and is called little mahakam. Other then the earlier mentioned fistfighters the rest is not changed, except some dialogues here and there.Overall i think the enhanced edition is a good improvement, making things faster and better. It's only too bad from the fistfighters, which i find not an improvement at all. That's a great loss.1 tip for the developers next time: when you made such a big upgrade patch again try to find a better host or improve at last the speed.Cause waiting 12 hours to finish your download is not from this time anymore and is also very annoying.
There are more changes than you think. Check out Carmen before and after the EE http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/captmorgan72/beforeafter.jpgAlso Geralt looks a little like Sawyer from Lost now http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/captmorgan72/GeraltofRivia.jpgOk, that one was a joke but really there are some great changes if you look around.

Top Bottom