What are your thoughts on a "Telltale-like" game set in the Witcher universe?

+
What are your thoughts on a "Telltale-like" game set in the Witcher universe?

Playing this game, with the dialogue options, timed dialogues and choice-consequence elements reminds of Telltale's newer games starting from TWD S1.

What are your thoughts on CDPR creating an episodic game set in the world of Witcher? It seems like it has got quality characters, well-written plot, good dialogues, cutscene animations, facial expressions, voice-acting etc.

Would be really nice to go on a stritcly story-driven adventure.

No.

You are implying telltale's recent "games" actually have consequences for the choices you make in them, which they don't, also, I would rather have a full game than having to wait every 4 months for a slice of "gameplay", but that is just me.

With that said, the reasons of state interactive comic has a similar style to telltale's "games" (QTEs at certain points in the comic) but let's be honest, the Witcher games already offer way more than the telltale style of "storytelling" would offer with more polish and better in every aspect, but, if there will be a telltale-like mini-adventure, choices and actual consequences are a must in it.

I certainly wouldn't use telltale as an example.
Perhaps if someone actually used the advantages of such a gaming format, like a wide branched storyline with choices that actually matter and swing you right in an opposite direction, we would might have had a different opinion on it at this point. In a linear, cinematic game such as that, you really have the freedom to do that and go wild with it without worrying too much about budget. The recent telltale games are mostly just fast baked cash grabs.
That said I'm sure CDPR would do much better at it but I don't see the point in it.
I think they are best off doing what they do.

You are implying telltale's recent "games" actually have consequences for the choices you make in them, which they don't,

Well I dunno about every other game they've done but the Game of Thrones one actually does, major consequences at that.

What consequences does Witcher 3 have in it's main story besides some epilogue slide and an epilogue scene? Fuck all as I see it.

Sure Telltale games don't have gameplay, but the story of GoT is top notch. Far better then what we got in TW3: Intrigue, nuance, politics, subtlety, manipulation etc.

Sure Telltale games don't have gameplay, but the story of GoT is top notch. Far better then what we got in TW3: Intrigue, nuance, politics, subtlety, manipulation etc.

I just got the complete opposite vibe from the story in the new GoT game man. I guess that is súbjectivity for you.
The writing really puts me off. It is so painfully self explanatory that imo it just feels.. dull..
I don't feel the tension either, as if the characters screaming and shouting at each other non-stop were to make it more intense.

I'd love a Telltale game set in the Witcher's world, explore it from the perspective of someone who is not a witcher.

Not sure the franchise is popular enough for such a co-operation, though.

What consequences does Witcher 3 have in it's main story besides some epilogue slide and an epilogue scene? Fuck all as I see it.
It's not much different from Witcher 2 in that regard. Witcher 2 had one choice that determined 90% of the content that changed based on choice, and the rest of your choices were like you said. An epilogue reel and a flashback sequence and that's it.

Last edited:
Well I dunno about every other game they've done but the Game of Thrones one actually does, major consequences at that.

Lol no Telltale's GoT makes the great books look bad, it has a lame story with no real consequences, the characters are quite one dimensional too
I like Telltale for TWD S1 and TWAU but thats about it

And TW doesn't need Telltale since it already has lots of cutscenes and a great story
+ it has great gameplay (what Telltale can't do)

---------- Updated at 04:31 PM ----------

I just got the complete opposite vibe from the story in the new GoT game man. I guess that is súbjectivity for you.
The writing really puts me off. It is so painfully self explanatory that imo it just feels.. dull..
I don't feel the tension either, as if the characters screaming and shouting at each other non-stop were to make it more intense.

Yeah I agree, its pretty bad (especially compared to the great books and tv show)

An epilogue reel and a flashback sequence and that's it.

What?
Aryan's fate changed the dungeon section to a degree and had you dealing with different characters. The Roche vs Iorveth forest choice, which is not the path choice, determined whether or not a massacre or a festival took place in Flotsam, a big change I'd argue.

Then there's the choice of who you help at Loc Muinne, that had a decent enough impact as well as the EE quests and the choices there.

Lol no Telltale's GoT makes the great books look bad, it has a lame story with no real consequences

Finn says hello, that's just the biggest and most visible consequence.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't understand all of the bitching and moaning about choice and consequence in TW3. There were a lot of instances where the narrative diverged:
+ The Baron and his relationship with his wife and daughter, as well as the fate of their family.

+ Romance choices - did Geralt end up with Yennefer, Triss, or no one? Does he continue to walk the Path, or does he give up the life of a Witcher?

+ The Reasons of State questline and the fate of the northern realms.

+ Ciri and her contest with the White Frost.

+ Emhyr and the future of Nilfgaard

+ The Crones of Crookback Bog, the fate of the villagers, the orphans, etc. and how you dealt with the Whispering Hillock

+ What happens to Ves and Roche in the third act

+ The "Skellige's Most Wanted" DLC even took into account whether Geralt was friendly to monsters throughout the game, or whether he just killed them indiscriminately
Not really interested in a TellTale game in the Witcher universe, and I doubt that CDPR will share the videogame rights to the Witcher franchise with anyone at this point.

Also disagree about GoT. Read a few of the books and watched the first season of the show, and it doesn't strike me as anything special. There are a lot of fantasy authors out there who are more deserving of accolades than George R Martin.

Just ignore other narrow minded fans. It's their opinion so do not take it to heart.
Not many could see things from a different perspective. I don't see a Witcher tell-tale episodic content would ruin the franchise. Weak argument

I don't mind seeing another Telltale series, though I prefer CDPR to develop the cinematic cut-scenes themselves instead of asking Telltale to do it.
Life is strange is by far the best telltale like game (though not developed by telltale), so I'm pretty confident Witcher series could do very well.

Especially when it gives a deeper backdrop about the stories surrounding other main characters. There are endless possibilities and opportunities, since we still have a lot of questions that needs answer. Though CDPR said W3 is the end of Geralt, in my headcanon TW3 is actually the beginning of the end.

I appreciate what CDPR did in those side-quests and etc, but it's not that noticeable and not many fans actually pay attention to this details.

What fan wants is actually an immersion on a bigger scale (after that disappointing epilogue), and I see this Telltale-like-episodic content would provide another different level of immersion of the fans.

TLDR: HELL YES

Last edited:
An emphatic no from me. TW series is fine how it is. I don't want it turned into a Telltale game, a MMO, a first person shooter, etc. Leave it as is. There are enough of those other kinds of games on the market that you don't have to ruin the Witcher franchise turning it into one.

I don't understand all of the bitching and moaning about choice and consequence in TW3. There were a lot of instances where the narrative diverged:
I would very pointedly say that I said MAIN story. Every single one of those examples with the exception of Ciri's fate, which was handled very poorly in terms how the choices and the outcome work, was related to an option side quest. Main story wise the only thing that was really well handled was the Baron and his dead kid.

Also I'd point out very clearly that many of those so called choices and consequences lack any real moral dilemma outside of the Baron.

Not really the point of the topic, is it? Let's return to it now (you may continue discussing this in PM or in the appropriate thread). And use spoiler tags, at least.

If you simply mean adventure games - I don't mind.

Some already made such concept art ;D

Last edited:
Only as long as it is not done by Telltale. After they completely butchered ASOIAF (I was literally about to smash my FAVORITE tablet at the wall, you know), I don't think I can survive another massacre of the book lore. I would be glad to get TW game in the same format, but with real diverging and incompatible paths, and real consequences. It would be nice to have such a game when you can have three-four divergent stories (similar to Iorveth/Roche in TW2), but I do not hold my breath.

I...don't really see the point. I mean, its like asking Telltale to do a Mass Effect game. Or a Life is Strange game. There are already choices that you can make in the game. You'd just be playing a stripped down, less pretty looking version of the witcher 3.

why all the hate on Telltale? i personally enjoy the Telltale stories. yes the choices you make dont necessarily affect the outcome.. but it is interesting to see how your choices compare to the rest of the community.

Top Bottom