What came first, Keanu Reeves, or the turning the story entirely about Johnny Silverhand?

+
Was having Keanu aboard make CDPR so starstruck that they decided to make the game entirely about him or did they run into dev problems and needed a narrow plot and Keanu was brought in to distract the players. What do you guys think?

I think it's a mix of both, they might have realised that they don't have the capability to pull off the vision and added Keanu for mass appeal so that they can churn out a GTA clone with as minimal RPG elements as possible. I think the development of this game and the whole scam behind it would be taught in universities in near future. They went completely against the old adage of "under promise and over deliver"

Would be interessting how much they paid him, as far as I know is keanu reeves not one of those, who want a million just to show up for a second.

I mean... easy to say, but I would do such stuff for free in his position, except paying me food and hotel etc.

From what you hear about the guy he probably did it cheap because his bike company get a huge ad deal in having 3 bikes in the game.

From what you hear about the guy he probably did it cheap because his bike company get a huge ad deal in having 3 bikes in the game.

One day I get such a bike too... and crash with it instant because it looks actually undrivable... :D

Thanks for the reply, kinda interessting I didnt know about.

Speaking of Kerry, I really really want that 2018 gameplay reveal version of Chippin' In because it's just so great and there are only fan versions around. With CDPR never releasing it. Big sad.

In fact, it is in the game as Kerry's version and you can hear it during the flashback scenes. Refused is Johnny's version.

Yeah that's why I said speaking of Kerry. It's so much better than the Johnny version and I want it so bad. But its not in the official OST that comes with the game on GOG.

I 'd say ppl are digging to deep and looking for reasons and/or excuses for the simple fact of a game rushed out the door.

If bugs were few, characters fleshed out more and features like say riding the mono rail, buying better apartment, brain dances, strip clubs etc etc, if it was all there a different story would be getting sung the now, instead we got a unfinished, rushed out the door product that had millions hyped, barely worked on advertised systems and all ontop of a pandemic.

Bugs aside, the hype was real for this game and even if the bugs and crashes never existed there just isn't alot to the game, im not saying its rubbish because that would be a lie on my part, i still enjoy it, but im not blind to the fact that nothing you do in this game matters, at all, ontop of the fact there is zero to do apart from run from one icon to the next an kill or incapacitate enemies.

The game has some brilliant characters, amazingly voice acted and some great scenes, the problem is most, if not all, are so under used and then flung out the window just at the point where you start to connect with them that it no even funny, it depressing and thats not a bug, thats just how it is. I don't care what happens to any character in this game and thats depressing.

The story of V and Johnny isn't the problem, the interaction between the 2 is actually pretty decent, but like every other character you meet, its underdeveloped and ultimately meaningless because it simply does not matter.

Im still enjoying the game for what its worth, im enjoying tinkering with builds an seeing how they play out or just seeing each life paths dialogue options and experimenting to see if my actions or in actions bring any consequences aside from mission failed (nothing so far) but, yeah, i'll see what 2021 brings an in meantime i'll continue to try an pick a char for a 100% playthrough

Last edited:
I'm sure the plot was established long before Keanu got on board. No way they would've got all the VOs done otherwise. It's a great idea and well implemented. Keanu clearly wasn't the best choice but he's not as bad as I thought he'd be. He fits the role at least.

I'm sure the plot was established long before Keanu got on board. No way they would've got all the VOs done otherwise. It's a great idea and well implemented. Keanu clearly wasn't the best choice but he's not as bad as I thought he'd be. He fits the role at least.
I'm pretty sure the plot was established before Keanu, too, but that doesn't mean that that plot and the one we ended up getting are the same. Or more precisely, that V's importance versus Johnny's importance within that plot was the same. Eight years is a long time to stick to the same story without both minor and major changes being made along the way.

Scoring someone like Keanu to play the part could have been a massive turning point for them. CDPR aren't idiots - they knew what someone like Keanu could bring to the project, in terms of mass-market appeal and ultimately, money. Their mistake may have been miscalculating how willing we'd be to sacrifice our V for Johnny and his vision, or a vision that wasn't one we specifically chose. Maybe if they'd have known they wouldn't have been so quick to abandon their promise of an RPG and 'your choices matter'. Who knows.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom