What can I do to prepare for Redkit 2?

+
What can I do to prepare for Redkit 2?

Hi guys,

I have a lot of ideas for modding the Witcher 3 that all require the use of the rumoured new redkit. I know it's not out yet and it might not be for a while, but that's exactly the reason why I want to prepare for when it does come out. I want to start modding as soon as possible and I want to try to reduce the learning curve.

My background: I'm not new to modding games (oblivion, skyrim, witcher 2) but I have never created mods myself. I also know some basic java.

My ideas for mods include, but are not limited to:
-new mount (tiger, props to Smurfin)
-new countries to visit (Kovir, Vengerberg, Brokilon forest...)
-new quests and contracts
-new monsters with more abilities
-a lot of new cutscenes; my dream is to create an expansion for the witcher 3.

So I'm asking you guys, what can I do to prepare?
-should I learn how to work with the currently available redkit for the witcher 2 or is this not relevant?
-Should I learn how to work with cinema4d?
-Should I learn how to work with other engines (unreal engine/cryengine) or would this be a waste of time with regards to my goals?

Thanks in advance :)

I have some cool ideas for mods I really want to make, and I was hoping to do it in the summer holidays, but I'm not expecting them to release the redkit any time soon :/

They'll probably wait until everybody lost interest in the game again.

For the Witcher 2 it took like 2 years for them to release the Redkit, and they have said that they'll do it earlier this time around, but I don't have much faith that it will even happen this year.

Last edited:
Seems like we still have to wait a bit longer for REDkit.

Let's just hope they finished the 2nd expansion sooner even though it'll be released in Q1 2016. Might not mean the REDkit isn't in progress, but still can't expect the REDkit will be out anytime soon.

@Smurfin

:(

So, not in 2015. The game is HUGE, but I don't think there's stuff to do until next year without mods. Which means at least a few modders will move to Fallout 4...

@Smurfin

:(

So, not in 2015. The game is HUGE, but I don't think there's stuff to do until next year without mods. Which means at least a few modders will move to Fallout 4...
Time can kill anything, I hope TW3 can maintain its spark until then. Not much to do with the game without mod, we can only replay the same content as many times until we're burnt out and we will be at some point.

Fallout 4 mod will work for consoles too, the userbase will be massive, dunno if it will have the modkit at release date, but I won't be surprised if it does.

The IP with the best modding community holds the greatest staying power for marketability -- Bethesda. I've never played a game with so much depth simply because of the modding community. Vanilla Skyrim pails in comparison to Modded Skyrim. The only thing that made skyrim interesting to me were all the fixes, improvements, upgrades the community provided to the vanilla canvas. Modded Skyrim is fully matured, with no end in sight, new mods improving it every day. Typically the best mods usually see daylight about a year after editor is released. Could be that Fallout 4 hits the ground running -- with editor in tow.

I'm also watching CIG -- Star Citizen, simply because CryEngine editor is incredible; even the pre-alpha stuff available by CIG/SC is stunning. I've done lots of stuff with old versions of UnrealEd, not tried the new 'free release' but I may give it a try soon.

If CDPR waits too long the potential modding fan base will just bleed off to other games. "We'll see..." does not instill confidence.

Last edited:
@Smurfin

Yep... And I don't think there's lots of replaybility in the game story-wise. There aren't big splits on the main quest to justify it.

@MacCrusher

That's something Bethesda does great. No wonder they don't abandon that old-ass engine... The modding community is simply too used to it.

It's been a long time since I last played skyrim, but I know that if I played it again, downloading some mods, the experience would be very different. I remember people were making quest mods with voice-acting from voluntaries. That's some AAA modding.

The toolkit for skyrim was released three months after the game's launch. Fallout 4 is saying from the start that mods are going to be very important, so I think they will try to ship it very soon as well...

Top Bottom