What CDP can learn from Bethesda/Skyrim

+
I for one think CDPR is hyping their game. That CGI intro wasn't cheap. But like Chewin said, open world games have a broader appeal.

AnDr01d said:
It's the same with all those TW lookalike mods for Skyrim. - I seriously love TW but it kind of makes me wanna puke to see it modded into Skyrim.
I mean a total conversion mod would be ok. But this "adds XYZ to the game" bullshit is just like taking two of my favorite dishes--steak and lemon ice cream--and mixing them together for the best taste experience. Thanks, but no thanks.
Because it's a sandbox game and it's fun. I, for one, am looking forward to having Iorveth as my companion, especially since my trusty Bosmer archer died. I don't even bother with TES lore anymore as all your actions mean jack shit in that world. Now it's down to mindless fun and roleplay.

NotSlimgrin said:
I for one think CDPR is hyping their game. That CGI intro wasn't cheap. But like Chewin said, open world games have a broader appeal.
But don't CDPR also praise their game's "Realistic, vast game world" and "expansive, mature, immersive, non-linear story".
Sure TW 2 is no sandbox game. But it still shouldn't considered a problem when regarding marketing.

NotSlimgrin said:
Because it's a sandbox game and it's fun. I, for one, am looking forward to having Iorveth as my companion, especially since my trusty Bosmer archer died. I don't even bother with TES lore anymore as all your actions mean jack shit in that world. Now it's down to mindless fun and roleplay.
And that's exactly where the game failed for me.
I mean, I am playing an RPG because of it's story. (For me it was even too strange to be praised as Dovahkiin by the Nords as their prophesied savior when I was an Altmer or Dunmer--from a race they despised. That just felt so wrong.--To be honest, I couldn't get myself to play any other race than Breton, Nord or Imperial for that reason.)

As I said, I am NOT looking for a game where fooling around is my only motivation. (I almost had an addiction to those Facebook games. I don't wanna fool around any more.)

When I buy an RPG I expect a story that will blow my mind. A story that will touch me. A story that I want to relive again and again.
And The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is my all time favorite when it comes to storytelling. It fulfilled all this. And I still replay it from time to time.

NotSlimgrin said:
They're just talking it up. They shouldn't make it sound open world though cause it's not.
I'm not denying that, but when it comes to getting people to buy the game those things should do the trick as much as with Bethesda's games.

My point here is, that you'd still have to take into account that TES is better known than TW and most customers know what they can expect from Bethesda's games.
We have a proverb here that would roughly translate to "what the farmer doesn't know, he would never eat". And I think that's the main difference between Skyrim and TW 2. Most people knew what they would gain from Skyrim, but they could not be sure what to expect from TW 2. Especially since CDPR overdid it a little with the advertising for and praise of their work, in my opinion.

AnDr01d said:
But then again you come with the example of LOTR weapons for Skyrim.
Seriously? Why the fuck would I want those to be in a TES game?! - TES has a different lore. Tamriel is not Middle Earth. Why in Tolkien's name would I want such bullshit?
It's the same with all those TW lookalike mods for Skyrim. - I seriously love TW but it kind of makes me wanna puke to see it modded into Skyrim.
I mean a total conversion mod would be ok. But this "adds XYZ to the game" bullshit is just like taking two of my favorite dishes--steak and lemon ice cream--and mixing them together for the best taste experience. Thanks, but no thanks.

Haha, relax, no one is forcing you to use mods like that, if you don't want to. My Gandalf, who somehow ended up in this strange, cold land, is extremely happy to hold the trusty ancient Glamdring in his hand, once again.:p

It just illustrates how many possibilities there are!

AnDr01d said:
And that's exactly where the game failed for me.
I mean, I am playing an RPG because of it's story. (For me it was even too strange to be praised as Dovahkiin by the Nords as their prophesied savior when I was an Altmer or Dunmer--from a race they despised. That just felt so wrong.--To be honest, I couldn't get myself to play any other race than Breton, Nord or Imperial for that reason.)

As I said, I am NOT looking for a game where fooling around is my only motivation. (I almost had an addiction to those Facebook games. I don't wanna fool around any more.)
Honestly... what did you expect? It's a TES game. It's a well-known fact you cannot expect a good story from it. I understand it's your first TES game, so I guess you couldn't know it unless you read reviews and player opinions. Just remember, this series doesn't change, it's been the same since Morrowind.

I also quit playing it for a few months because it felt limiting it. The world is not open, characters are cardboard cutouts, your actions mean nothing, the game moralises for you and it's all very limiting. Now I play it for fun. It's the only way to be played tbh. I always play an Altmer so yeah, I noticed how little sense being non-human makes.

Dona said:
Honestly... what did you expect? It's a TES game. It's a well-known fact you cannot expect a good story from it. I understand it's your first TES game, so I guess you couldn't know it unless you read reviews and player opinions. Just remember, this series doesn't change, it's been the same since Morrowind.

I also quit playing it for a few months because it felt limiting it. The world is not open, characters are cardboard cutouts, your actions mean nothing, the game moralises for you and it's all very limiting. Now I play it for fun. It's the only way to be played tbh. I always play an Altmer so yeah, I noticed how little sense being non-human makes.
I found the story interesting. That's why I wanted that game. Plus the hype that was made all around the idea of having a new TES game.
(I fall too easily for such things. DA:O almost did the same to me by advertising with these CGI trailers and the rumors of the game's story. )
I only heard of TES games back in the days when I was active in Bioware's forums (playing DA:O, which also disappointed me in regard of choice and storytelling). Then it was mostly comparisons between Bioware's (older) games (which I also hadn't played) and Bethesda's games.

I like stories. I like diving into a world full of lore and myths. I already watch "let's play" or play through videos of games rather than buying the games mostly. That way I get to experience the story but don't have to suffer through the bad playing experience.

Forum veteran
We're on the better side of the fence. Obviously some things can be improved, but what makes CDPR so good at games is their reluctance to play into what people think a game should be like. They make what they want, no compromises. I hope they never, ever learn from other companies, because "learning" so often means "imitating." I hope they instead listen to critiques and feedback and dream up innovative new ways to improve their games.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I'd like modding tools and a bigger game, it should be as a part of their grand plan rather than just pandering to win over a demographic who likes to run around and make nude mods. There have to be creative ways of making a game feel bigger without padding it with tons of empty space, and that's something that will never be stumbled on if they're just throwing in more space out of appeasement.

227 said:
We're on the better side of the fence. Obviously some things can be improved, but what makes CDPR so good at games is their reluctance to play into what people think a game should be like. They make what they want, no compromises. I hope they never, ever learn from other companies, because "learning" so often means "imitating." I hope they instead listen to critiques and feedback and dream up innovative new ways to improve their games.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I'd like modding tools and a bigger game, it should be as a part of their grand plan rather than just pandering to win over a demographic who likes to run around and make nude mods. There have to be creative ways of making a game feel bigger without padding it with tons of empty space, and that's something that will never be stumbled on if they're just throwing in more space out of appeasement.
Amen!

AnDr01d said:
I like stories. I like diving into a world full of lore and myths. I already watch "let's play" or play through videos of games rather than buying the games mostly. That way I get to experience the story but don't have to suffer through the bad playing experience.
I'm the same :) The only appeal of TES for me is making my own story. The core one is weak, for the most part, but I found an interesting quest or two. I also watch a ton of LPs if I don't have time to play or don't own a platform the game in question is on.

PS. never trust hype. Never trust trailers (see: Dead Island) or what developers say 100%. Marketing is cruel and people will lie to your face just to sell you the product. I know it's hard, but you can do it!

PPS. sorry for derailing the topic again

@227. Well, I agree, but they took a lesson or two from Arkham Asylum and its a better game for it. We wouldn't have the wonderful auto-attack without AA. I think they are confident enough in their vision that they can learn without compromising. Jan Bartkowics said that over at BSN actually when we were all discussing some shortcomings at release: "We want to fix the game without changing the game"

Dona said:
PS. never trust hype. Never trust trailers (see: Dead Island) or what developers say 100%. Marketing is cruel and people will lie to your face just to sell you the product. I know it's hard, but you can do it!
Yeah, I know. I already learned the hard way. I would have never bought Skyrim by myself. But lacking any other wishes my parents could fulfill as easily I sent them to getting me the game for Christmas (along with the new The Legend of Zelda game for the Wii, yet another disappointment (but not as much as Skyrim, story wise))

Dona said:
PPS. sorry for derailing the topic again
You're right. Sorry!
Back on topic. The OP wished for more spacious landscapes in TW 2.
To that I'd second this:
Dona said:
Doesn't bother me though. I rather have detailed, handcrafted, smaller gameworlds than big copy paste environments.
While it was nice to explore the outskirts, the swamp and the fields in TW 1 it is not necessary for me. And I believe when CDPR starts making a bigger game world they have to cut some content. So I'd rather have the content.

eskiMoe said:
I absolutely loved the fields in Act 4. Such a beautiful and haunting place at the same time.
But even if the area you could actually explore or walk in was smaller and the fields were still stretching out as a landscape surrounding you, the feeling of that place would have been the same, wouldn't it?

AnDr01d said:
But even if the area you could actually explore or walk in was smaller and the fields were still stretching out as a landscape surrounding you, the feeling of that place would have been the same, wouldn't it?
Maybe, maybe not. Can't say for sure.

eskiMoe said:
I absolutely loved the fields in Act 4. Such a beautiful and haunting place at the same time.

This! TW2 lacked immersive locations like this, the world felt much more confined, less believable than in the first game, and the ATMOSPHERE suffered because of it. That was sacrificed for the game to appear more cinematic (Bioware style, not the style of the first game), and because the developers wanted to tighten the focus on the narrative. What have we got in the end? A fairly linear game (beautiful still) with proportionally too much dialog with too many side/insignificant characters, for it's own good, that bored a lot of players, even those who liked the first game; the writing was very good, but it was uneven in quality, and when you overuse it, you'll lose the attention of gamers. Torment had walls of text, but the narrative was out of this world, so the experience was amazing (one of my favorite games)..

So to cut things short: TW2 is a great game, and I liked it a lot (shares my Goty throne with DE: Human Revolution), but I didn't feel that its structure is perfectly balanced. IMO, they should've dumped 20% of unnecessary dialog (with non crucial NPCs) which added nothing to the overall enjoyment of the game (except that it watered down overall story), and focused on creating larger, organic, more immersive environments for us to explore. They should go back to the TW1 style and form, expand it, make it better..

I can't believe people think that TW2 doesn't have an amazing atmosphere. The Flotsam forest is my favorite location of any game this gen, Loc Mouinne had a unique cool style to fit the mood as the story is reaching its conclusion, and Vergen/Kaedweni camp were also very memorable.

It was undoubtedley different from the first Witcher, but differen't doesn't mean worse in this case.

For one thing, TW2 had WAY too many swords and armours. TW1 got it about right, best sword was about 100% better the your starter sword. It was about OK.
But in TW2, your first sword has less then 10 dmg. Best sword has more then 50 damage. It is ludicrous. How one piece of sharp metal can be so much better? Unless, it is sending out some lighting bolts.
I may be not the best person to post in this thread. I have tried Morowid, Obliwion and Skyrim. I did. And I found it an extremally boring experience. I was just wandering around, trying to "find my own adventoure", because the game failed to provide one, untill the boredom become unberable. Sandboxes are boring, and thats that. Please CD Projekt, dont try to take after Skyrim. It is extremaly boring game.

Top Bottom