What choices did you make in HoS? (major end-game spoilers)

+

What choices did you make in HoS? (major end-game spoilers)

• Took Iris’ rose, saved Olgierd from Gaunter O’Dimm

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • Took Iris’ rose, allowed Gaunter O’Dimm to claim his debt

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Did not take Iris’ rose, saved Olgierd from Gaunter O’Dimm

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Did not take Iris’ rose, allowed Gaunter O’Dimm to claim his debt

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Do you guys really think Gaunter is just some practical, sometimes malicious, chap? He murdered some drunk right in front of Geralt just because the drunk had the gal to speak his mind. God knows what else he's up to when you're not around.

In defense of O'Dimm, he does indicate twice that he'll only resort to violence if he gets annoyed or interrupted (god knows how many times that ever happens). If you look at Djinn's in the Witcher lore, they're pretty much malicious violent beings who similar to O'Dimm, grants your wishes to the word i.e. that mage that ended up dead in the ship broken in half in Last Wish. You can't exactly use the word 'evil' on Djinns because it's just part of their nature. Same way you can't actually say Succubuses are evil for driving men mad with lust, often to their deaths. A lot of negative opinions about O'Dimm revolve around him wanting to get Olgierd's soul, but not so much on the man who would sacrifice his own brother to cheat himself into becoming rich again and curse a man into a toad, and willingly agreeing to exchange his soul. It's like a heavily indebted addicted gambler cursing the bank when they try to take his house for failing to pay his loans.

O'Dimm makes no attempt to cheat Geralt and in my opinion, he didn't cheat Olgierd either. Like he mentions, it's not his fault people have crappy wishes and word them poorly. Of course there's a fear that if left unchecked, O'Dimm would continue his soul ponzi scheme and more people would get affected, but if that's the case, seeing how desperate majority people are in the Witcherverse, 4 out 10 people would be soulless. Could be wrong, but I have a feeling O'Dimm is only attracted to certain characters, probably those with despicable and cruel intentions under the guise of noble ones, and those who've given up and cursed the gods. People who mirror his own malevolent nature. I surely don't think O'Dimm is worse than the likes of Whoreson Jr or Eredin.

P.S. - In regards to the Rose Dilemma, Iris mentions she doesn't wanna continue living in the Painted World but is afraid of the endless void that death could bring. Isn't that like a general fear of death? That there could be no heaven or hell after all, just eternal darkness. She's a pretty innocent decent woman, I'm sure if there was a heaven in the Witcherverse, she would get there. Heck, even that dumb ghost in the fighting ring got into Skellige heaven after murdering a Jarl

...but always remember, if you pact with the Devil you might not get the red glowing sword and not the Viper Venom Sword, but you will get this fine horsy-horse....

And Roach doesn`t need veterinarian visits and apples or pieces of lump sugar anymore - the daily gnawing and biting around on some roadside carcass and scratching out the surplus maggots of her right eye socket is enough animal care for her now... :D

On the first playthrough I made the "good" ending getting the sword of Olgierd, but the bad evil ending is way better because you get an undead Roach.
Some reasons because an undead Roach is better than a living Roach:

1.) It`s still Roach - just different and with different brain functions and because the Amygdala is dead just like most other brain sections she cannot get afraid and never throws Geralt of her back to run away. So she`s the perfect horse in every situation.
2.) It`s a Roach that fits in every way perfect to Geralts clothing style
3.) a Roach that might grumble and snarl but you don`t have to be afraid that she might die in any combat situation
4.) a Roach only Geralt would love
5.) a Roach who has her own and uniquè smell making her clearly distinctible from common horses for miles so mixing-up with wild horses can not longer happen
6.) a Roach the hillbillys can discuss for months after seeing her galloping through their village
7.) a Roach that always enough maggots and flies for Geralt if he gets hungry somewhere deep in the snowy wilderness (similiar to some basic survival functions in the Mad Max game)
8.) It`s way better than the bog unicorn in Dragon Age: Origins because one is not forced to play DA to have an awesome and uniquè mount
9.) The devil`s saddle of larment is always warm so Geralt can never get haermorhoids in cold areas like Skellige
10.) her eye is nicely glowing at night, which is important for dark nights and fog mods. Not exactly xenon headlamps but it enhances traffic safety and reduces collisions with other riders

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-10-23 22-46-06-741.jpg
    witcher3 2015-10-23 22-46-06-741.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 458
  • witcher3 2015-10-23 22-29-40-309.jpg
    witcher3 2015-10-23 22-29-40-309.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 2,295
Deciding between taking the rose or leaving the rose was quite hard for me, I eventually took the rose because I wasn't sure whether Olgierd would even survive the encounter with Gaunter. Or whether I even had the ability to save him. In my next play through I wont take the rose to see how it turns out.

Now, I don't think sparing Olgierd was even choice. Not a meaningful choice at the very least. Even if you absolutely despise Olgierd, you cannot deny that Gaunter is practically evil incarnate, or at least some kind of higher demon. Leaving him roaming about goes directly against everything that a Witcher stands for.

Dandelion mentions that Gaunter as a consequence of Geralt winning the riddle is banished from our dimension for some time, but will eventually come back. Him screaming bloody murder when he ended up being banished might indicate that it could be a more serious barrier than some of us might think
Even if you cannot truly kill Gaunter, sending him back to his own private hell for a (hopefully) substantial amount of time might save many other people somewhere down the line.

The key is that literally anyone can be warped into one of his contracts, you don't have to be a ruthless sociopath or irresponsible madman before you agree to anything he says, because some of the things he helps you with are truly helpful and good. Hell, he could. for example, just visit a mother who's child is dying and turn her into a murdering machine in exchange for the child's life. Inevitably he will end up doing more evil in the world, if you can save the rest of the people from his presence for just a mere second, even that would be worth it.

Edit: I realize i find myself disagreeing with a lot of people in this thread. Do you guys really think Gaunter is just some practical, sometimes malicious, chap? He murdered some drunk right in front of Geralt just because the drunk had the gal to speak his mind. God knows what else he's up to when you're not around.

I generally agree with most of this. Some people seem to think of Olgierd as the primary antagonist of HoS, but Gaunter O'Dimm always struck me as being more malicious. Don't get me wrong, Olgierd did a lot of terrible shit - much of it unforgivable, e.g. bargaining away the life of his brother - but he at least had a reason. Gaunter seems to enjoy wrecking people's lives just for the lulz.

---------- Updated at 02:36 PM ----------

If you look at Djinn's in the Witcher lore...

Is it proven anywhere that O'Dimm is a Djinn? The only similarity that I can tell is their ability to grant wishes, and the fact that Yennefer says Djinns are "inherently mischievous." The professor's remarks and what he learned in the Nilfgaardian archives seems to suggest that he is a creature of a different sort.

O'Dimm makes no attempt to cheat Geralt and in my opinion, he didn't cheat Olgierd either.

Well, O'Dimm needs Geralt to fulfill Olgierd's three wishes, as he explicitly tells him in the tavern, so screwing him over with one of his contractual loopholes probably wouldn't be in his best interests.

O'Dimm can say that he doesn't cheat people as much as he wants, but that's semantics. At the end of the day, regardless of what you ask for, he finds some way to pervert the deal to your disadvantage and then collect payment, usually your soul.

Like he mentions, it's not his fault people have crappy wishes and word them poorly.

I am curious about this bit. If a person, for instance, asked O'Dimm to end world hunger and poverty, would that come back to bite them? (no pun intended)

Could be wrong, but I have a feeling O'Dimm is only attracted to certain characters, probably those with despicable and cruel intentions under the guise of noble ones, and those who've given up and cursed the gods. People who mirror his own malevolent nature. I surely don't think O'Dimm is worse than the likes of Whoreson Jr or Eredin.

How does Iris factor into this? As you note below, she's a pretty good person, and yet she suffers more than even Olgierd. I suppose one could argue that she is just collateral damage, and that her husband brought this on her, but O'Dimm was the one who twisted Olgeird's wish for eternal life, leaving her stranded in a painted dream world.

P.S. - In regards to the Rose Dilemma, Iris mentions she doesn't wanna continue living in the Painted World but is afraid of the endless void that death could bring. Isn't that like a general fear of death? That there could be no heaven or hell after all, just eternal darkness. She's a pretty innocent decent woman, I'm sure if there was a heaven in the Witcherverse, she would get there. Heck, even that dumb ghost in the fighting ring got into Skellige heaven after murdering a Jarl

I agree with this. Also the reason why I took the rose.

Is it proven anywhere that O'Dimm is a Djinn? The only similarity that I can tell is their ability to grant wishes, and the fact that Yennefer says Djinns are "inherently mischievous." The professor's remarks and what he learned in the Nilfgaardian archives seems to suggest that he is a creature of a different sort.

I didn't say O'Dimm was a Djinn, i was just making a comparison with other naturally malevolent, violent and mischievous creatures in the Witcher world that by human standards would be considered evil.

O'Dimm can say that he doesn't cheat people as much as he wants, but that's semantics. At the end of the day, regardless of what you ask for, he finds some way to pervert the deal to your disadvantage and then collect payment, usually your soul.
I am curious about this bit. If a person, for instance, asked O'Dimm to end world hunger and poverty, would that come back to bite them? (no pun intended)
How does Iris factor into this? As you note below, she's a pretty good person, and yet she suffers more than even Olgierd. I suppose one could argue that she is just collateral damage, and that her husband brought this on her, but O'Dimm was the one who twisted Olgeird's wish for eternal life, leaving her stranded in a painted dream world.

That really is Olgierd's fault for involving Iris in his dumb and poorly worded wishes if you ask me. It's like a man asking O'Dimm to bring back his dead mother, or bring his father back from war. Even Olgierd indicates that O'Dimm doesn't actually cheat, he'll give you exactly what you ask for, irrelevant of whether that's what you wanted. The fact is, in the end Geralt made a wish from O'Dimm to save Olgierd's soul, and it was granted with no side effects. Like in the book Last Wish, Geralt makes a wish to the Djinn that ultimately saves Yen. IMO, Geralt might be the only person in the Northern Realms who thinks with his brain when it comes to making wishes with mischievous entities. Let's face it, wishing to 'live like there's no tomorrow' is an extremely poorly worded wish with so many loopholes, one expected from immature teenagers straight out of high school. I'm surprised O'dimm, having control over time, didn't just leave Olgierd and Iris stuck in a never ending day upon hearing that wish. O'Dimm is just another ultra capitalist who wouldn't hesitate pouncing on gullible clients who fail to understand their terms of contract

Didn't take the rose & help Olgierd.

Then I reloaded, just to find out, what will happen if I won't help Olgierd, and I have one question - there is a reward from o'Dimm, I told him I want to be rich, so I got 5000 Novigrad crowns (and that doesn't impress me much ;)), anyone can tell me what happens when you choose different reward?

I took the rose from her, because i thought she should be released from the afterlife alone in that house. She seemed to suffer there and i thought it is better not to let her stay at this scary place.

I didn´t save Olgied, because a couple of reasons. First he tried to get an easy way. he wanted to get free wishes instead of working hard for the money to keep his wife and his life. I understood that the family of his wife hated him, but he lied to his wife and disapointed everyone in summoning some evil, that turned him into a maniac.
I guess i understood something wrong in the story. It seemed he tried to summon a demon and it seemed like this demon took his body (szene when you have to put the tourches on the pentagram) . I am also not sure if he got evil because the summoning or because he wish he asked O´Dimm for or maybe both had an influence. nethertheless i think Olgied should pay his bills. he got tricked , but he still wished things noone should wish without penalty.
Also what Olgied did after leaving his wife was very bad. It was because his Heart of stone, but i feel too many people suffered because him to let him alive. I took the rose so Iris died and how fair would it be to let her die and let him survive? he also tricked Geralt in killing the Frog/King.
I think O´Dim is really a bad guy , you should always beware what you wish. At least O´Dim was some kind of fair to geralt. He saved geralts live , not for free, but it was a fair contract. A life for a life.

I didn´t take a present from O´Dim. I thought taking a present in the end would turn out in another contract, where geralt maybe would suffer until his end and lose his soul.

I left Iris with her Rose reason being is she is in no nightmare or pain (my thought) after Geralt cleaned her nightmare in painting world.And i saved Olgied for 2 reason:

1.she didn't want to hurt Olgied.

2.Olgied after the pack been broken he is no longer have heart of stone so all those bad things happen when he was a
heart of
stone which givin by O'dimm (even the death of his brother is not his fualt)

so when he regreted what just happened to his life and wanted to start anew i thought it is justice delivered by witcher :)

I know I am late to this discussion but just wanted to add my two cents. I saved Olgierd mainly because I was a bit sympathetic to his character despite arguably being a character that Geralt at first wouldn’t have much of a problem of killing or letting him be killed. The main reasons to save Olgierd I can come up with is to do it for Iris (because she still loves him and is even concerned for him), Geralt helping out the human in a human vs monster situation (O’Dimm could be considered a monster in some sense or evil incarnate and Geralt may feel it is his duty to help out Olgierd), and preferably the main reason would be to rid the world of O’Dimm (even if temporary), because letting him collect on Olgierd’s soul just means he can continue to do what he has been doing and more unfortunate souls will perish (there are plenty of desperate people in the Witcher universe).

I was sympathetic to Olgierd because If I was in that situation and I was desperate then I know I would of made a mistake or two, I mean sacrificing your brother who idolises you is a dick move, but I can’t seem to justify him being more of a ‘villian’ than O’Dimm. A desperate man is going to agree to desperate terms, which could apply to anyone in the Witcher universe, if someone you loved was about to die, and you wanted to save them any means necessary, or if what you wanted most you couldn’t get due to a barrier preventing you then granted, if presented the opportunity you may end up sacrificing someone else or making a mistake that leads to a negative side effect, I mean I don’t think anyone would ever know what they would do unless they were put in that situation right there and then.

As for the rose, I took it at first (still don’t have a canon choice), because Iris didn’t deserve her current situation at all, heck she even blames herself for Olgierd making the agreement with O’Dimm, so I thought it was right to get her out of the painted world and hope that she finds peace (of course we don’t know what happens afterwards), but seeing the other choice to let her stay there, I thought there was going to be an option to let Olgierd join her in the painted world as a redeemed man (no longer with a heart of stone), and that way Olgierd paid the price for his mistakes, as no longer in the real world but not quite dead and still had some happiness with Iris (seems they still loved each other despite what Olgierd did), but such an option never existed. If you let Iris stay there, then Geralt ‘cleanses’ the painted world of her worst nightmare and the painting changes, and handing it to Olgierd sort of means that she may be with him and get to see him again….or maybe not it is open to interpretation.

Someone mentioned in another forum that if you give Olgierd the painting of her than the codex implies that he kept it for the rest of his life, so I imagine he never really moved on from her and felt a lot of remorse or did move on but never forget Iris (either with the rose or the painting). Either way, to me O’Dimm had to go, and it was too dangerous to leave him around, Olgierd is human and despite all his mistakes and poorly worded wishes, he always needed the chance to redeem himself and start life anew as evident by his final conversation with Geralt because by the end he was a broken man and I can’t imagine he would just go back to putting curses on people and raiding villages, it just seems more likely he would learn from the past and make something worthwhile in his life – if not for himself than for the memory of Iris and the other people he wronged. For O’Dimm he would just keep doing what he does and who knows maybe he would keep stopping time and putting spoons into people’s eyes just for the fun of it or because he was slightly annoyed.

Either way, the whole storyline with Olgierd, Iris and to a lesser extent O’Dimm was my favourite part of the entire game (had me thinking about the choices days after I finished the expansion).

I took the Rose because that poor woman need to be freed from the torment of having loved a scumbag like Olgierd.
I would have left Olgierd to die if it was for me because he knew about O'Dimm and his pacts therefore he must pay the consequence of his actions, though CDPR made it so that siding with Olgierd provide for better rewards and I wanted to complete my Viper set....so I had to save the bastard. That silver sword is the only reason Olgierd is alive in my game.

I very much agree with what @msanx said concerning the choice between Olgierd and O'Dimm. I also saved Olgierd, believing it highly unlikely that he would continue as before. In my head canon, there's three versions of what happened afterwards:

1. he learned from his mistakes and sought atonement (I believe there were indications that this was not all too unlikely),
  2. he committed suicide as he realized what he had done in full force, i.e. with the emotions connected to that, after his heart was no longer of stone,
  3. he committed "suicide" by entering the painting, similar to how Geralt did, and either Olgierd and Iris remained there, or both left it for the afterlife in some way.
Now point 3 leads me to the Iris decision. This was probably the hardest in the whole game, not just the expansion. Once it became clear in the dialogue what the choice would be about, and especially once the options were there, I contemplated for a good amount of time (around a minute, maybe? Something like that). I picked the leave the rose with Iris option, got another dialogue choice...and contemplated thoroughly on the issue once more. Ultimately, I left the rose with Iris.

One thing I was thinking about while making the choice is whether leaving her in the painting (i.e. not taking the rose) would allow for Iris and Olgierd to be reunited. But at that point in the quest, I had no idea whether it was possible to do that anyway, i.e. whether Olgierd would get out alive of the whole thing in one way or another. There was also, of course, the issue of the black cat and dog, but since I did not really know much about them, I did not really factor them into the equation. If anything, they tipped the scale towards not taking the rose - who knows what havoc they might have caused once freed? And what is more, I thought that if they wanted to leave, they could commit proper suicide - after all, the caretaker was similarly summoned, and apparently he was gone from the painted world after Geralt had dealt with him.

Therefore, I didn't give those two particular points (potential reunion, cat and dog) too much weight in my decision, so it came down to two things:

• Speaking in favour of taking the rose: Iris apparently was not overjoyed during her time in the painting. We do not know what would happen in a potential afterlife, and indeed, Geralt's agnostic remark to Iris's questions of what there may be "after" the painting was clearly not something which only holds in the video game, but is a very real issue indeed. One of the many things which make this game so amazing is how fundamental philosophical issues are woven in so seamlessly.
  • But this brings me to my argument for the other side, i.e. leaving the rose with Iris: Apparently, she is conscious and she can reflect on her situation. She is, for all intents and purposes, very much able to decide for herself whether to keep or give away the rose. She did not do that. She said she wouldn't know and was afraid. Now who am I (or, who is "my" Geralt) to decide for her, a conscious, intelligent woman, what is best for her? If she had said "take the rose, I think it's better for me", I would have taken it. But especially considering that if anything, after Geralt's visit in the painted world, that place had become a more enjoyable one, it felt very much wrong for me to make the choice for her, one which she apparently found incredibly hard to make. But a choice of such gravity, she has to do for herself – or, at the very least, if she wants me to do it for her, she has to indicate that much more explicitly and convincingly.
Ultimately, and after a good amount of contemplation, therefore, the decisive point for me was that I did not want to take her choice away, because she was not certain about letting somebody else choose for her. If Geralt was a fond believer in Eternal Bonfire© afterlife in heaven, he could have made that choice for her (or at least nudged her considerably). But not the Geralt who expressed his own doubts.
It may be that this choice (of leaving her with her own choice) allows her to reunite with Olgierd. It may be that it puts her through more suffering, during which she may regret her indecisiveness. But at the very least, the choice is still hers, and if she comes to regret not asking Geralt to take the rose, then she may very well offer it more directly to the next "visitor" of the painted world. It was a very, very hard choice though, and it'd be absolutely wrong if I were to claim that I had no doubts about my decision. And that, once more, is one of the reasons why this game is so great.

Last edited:
I took the Rose because that poor woman need to be freed from the torment of having loved a scumbag like Olgierd.
I would have left Olgierd to die if it was for me because he knew about O'Dimm and his pacts therefore he must pay the consequence of his actions, though CDPR made it so that siding with Olgierd provide for better rewards and I wanted to complete my Viper set....so I had to save the bastard. That silver sword is the only reason Olgierd is alive in my game.

If punishment is what you seek, then keeping Olgierd alive and with full guilt is much bigger punishment than giving his soul to O'Dimm.. nothing is worse than being responsble for death of loved ones (Iris, and Vlodimir)

Thread revival! Just finished the expansion(Yes, expansion - longer and with more content than many full games nowadays) and wanted to give my 2 cents on the discussion.

I took the rose as:
1. Iris wanted out, but was afraid. Her love for Olgried kept her and her memories, but both of them needed to move on to whatever was out there.

2. The cat&dog spirits( Not demons. They've shown no malice and are pretty much what you'd expect from standard anthropomorphasized animals - dog sympathetic, cat indifferent) really got tired of keeping company to a woman that have nothing but memories. No reason to punish them and it could be ages before they are finally freed, if ever.

I saved Olgried:

1. O'dimm takes advantage of people in weak spots. Olgried wasn't a saint in any way, but maybe if O'dimm wouldn't have shown up he would've found a better way to make amends or even died before causing more harm but then O'dimm made him into an unstoppable monster knowing the consequences. Also it's not revealed if the family was always in the banditry business or the kids took it as a last resort. Anyway he get's a second chance and he seems sincere now that he is no longer a psychopath. Being gored and tormented till the stars expire is a bit extreme even for Radovid.
When you go with Lambert to meet the family man, killing him or not for me was a question of sincerity - I didn't believe him and he still seemed like a dick. Olgried gives you his sword(a very symbolic gesture) and wants to begin anew. I believed him.

2. O'dimm claims he never cheats...but he does. Adding things outside of the contract to a deal meant to make things difficult for the other side seems to me as a violation of contract and good legal reason to nullify it. Not to the devil of course...nothing says he can't do it, but it's clear he makes deals with him worse and interprets them in really loose ways. He added the heart of stone thing with no reason but to be a dick and make Olgried's life miserable. Also Olgried stated the place of meeting "on the moon" and although it says THE MOON, on not ON A MOON(though he possibly could do it...) he claims the contract is fulfilled. He was fully aware of the meaning and supposed loopholes are honored only when it suits him.

3. Him killing a bystander for no real reason meant he isn't shy about ruining lives and contracts are there only for soul collection. Getting rid of him for a time seems like a good thing to do, if only to stick the spoon back at him. Wish there was a spoon option so...

4. Kicking an invincible Eldritch abomination in the crotch(or sticking a spoon in its eye) is always a good time. Can't know your name...go mad if I do! But I know where your nutsack is! HA! Sore loser. May he stay in the fetal position for ages to come.

I went with the riddle game taking the advise of the profesor. So, I save Von everec, then I did it the other way to see what happend but my final desision was to save Olgier. I mean, if you have the chance to cast away the incarnation of evil, just do it. After all O'Dimm was not a man himself but the physical form of evil.

Last edited:
I was NO fan of Olgierd. Yes he was duped by O'Dimm but he is responsible for his choices and he was not a very good guy even before he meet O'Dimm . With that said, there is no way I could let O'Dimm have his soul. I see O'Dimm as the great trickster, or if you will THE devil himself, the ultimate eternal evil. That choice was a no brainer for me.

As for the Rose, well I am still torn, I chose to leave her with the Rose on the outside chance she could find peace. However I am not sure that was the right choice, ending her suffering and sending her on her way may have been the more merciful choice. No easy answer on this one as you are not even sure what will happen to her in either case.

I took the rose from Iris because I thought it would be best for her to move on from the dick that left her. Actually that part hit me right in the feels like no other game did before. I broke up with my fiance a few years ago, because I couldn't see it working anymore and left her in tears. And now i feel like a douche... again

Top Bottom