What controls window lights?

+

Guest 3841499

What controls window lights?

The game is filled with fake interior / window lights to create perception of actual lights coming from inside buildings/structures, but it only ruins the immersion because as soon as you enter a building, you find yourself in a very dark environment and there is no way windows would show that much light from such a dark environment.

Does anyone know what controls them? It's not an actual light source from what I can tell. Is it something applied onto meshes?

You ave this for exemple.
With W3Edit Modeditor by Sarcen

-Cooked\levels\prolog_village\mq0003_well_area\claer_house\env_light.w2l
open this and remove CSectorData index 1

now in prolog village well_area quest in house this remove light over tree

-in env files for prolog area
env_prolog_colors_v1_b_sunset.env
m_globalLight / m_globalLight / colorAmbient and colorSceneAdd (interior)
me = time in game
0.01 = 0.01am
0.99=11 59pm
x= red
y=green
z= blue
w = brightness

-you ave m_cameraLightsSetup too

-for cutscene change in m_cameraLightsSetup / sceneLight0 sceneLight1
for specific cutscene open x.w2scene files
change lightMod or remove it for use env parameter sceneLight0 sceneLight1
for other light example ko_light_x in quest files
add this line enabled false or change color and brightness

Guest 3841499

I think you guys have misunderstood what it is I am talking about... Screenshots incoming...

Guest 3841499

On this screenshot we can see "fake light/glow" effect applied onto the windows themselves to create a perception that light is coming from inside the building and for that light to be that bright, the interior would also have to be bright.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xtVk5x8mHe13Koa6Unh5DQaJa7MxerOj/view?usp=sharing

However, once inside, the interiors are dark as hell. There is no way those windows would show that much light coming from such dark interiors.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoVJsyD61iGOTFXLVgaXT6M8bodJLe86/view?usp=sharing

One solution is to heavily increase interior brightness in ENV files, but that would also make little sense because interior light sources like candles would not produce enough light to brighten up that interior. In fact, the interior lights and lighting is quite realistic to me. The problem is the "fake window glow/light" or whatever it is called. There has to be a way to reduce it... on all windows!

How would I go about it?

I guess this effect has a common material tied to them... an emissive one I think. Tried to check this? You could try lowering whatever values controls the brightness.

Guest 3841499

Hyadum;n10923356 said:
I guess this effect has a common material tied to them... an emissive one I think. Tried to check this? You could try lowering whatever values controls the brightness.

Yeah, I think you are right, but I can't find the files responsible for that effect... That is why I am asking.

I actually don't know how windows are implemented in the game, if they're part of the main building meshes or just modules added to them. But in both cases you could either check the building mesh and see the materials listed there or check all the windows mesh you can find one by one. Kinda boring to do, but it should give you the infos you need.

Guest 3841499

Thanks! I think it might be the stuff in "environment\shaders\special\night_lights". I guess I should check out architecture meshes and look for parts that use shaders from that directory, primarily:
- glow_plane_shader.w2mg
- pbr_fake_interior.w2mg

Could also be "engine\materials\graphs\transparent_lit.w2mg" and for that I would just have to edit a bunch of w2mi files - much easier if that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 3841499

I think it would be better not to disable them, but to either:
1. Heavily reduce the effect for realism
OR
2. Replace with that transparent lit or non-lit material (also for realism)

However, using transparent material on all of them will result in seeing empty boxes inside buildings, so I think solution #1 makes sense.

The problem is that all these windows are heavily scattered through the uncooked game. It will take some time, but it may end up a decent "realistic window glow" mod. It might even be a part of some lighting mod.

Guest 3841499

Double success! From original fake, then to drastic disabled/black, and now to realistic transparent:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ebh...ew?usp=sharing

You can now see inside that building!

Anybody want to team up and go through as many of w2mi files and meshes to replace appropriate fake interior window material assets with transparent/transparent lit material? Each one would have to be verified because, as I mentioned earlier, some interiors (behind those fake windows) either do not exist or are empty boxes and that is why fake material was applied to such windows. Yet, it seems like CDPR applied it too liberally to windows that do have explorable interiors.

I wish there was some way to determine locations or names of meshes for whichever architecture. The console commands "gettemplate" don't work for meshes...

The LOD team may know...

EDIT: Looks like all fake interior w2mi files end with "fi" (fake interior).

MonarchX;n10923446 said:
Anybody want to team up and go through as many of w2mi files and meshes to replace appropriate fake interior window material assets with transparent/transparent lit material?

Why dont you aks some top modders like rfuzzo or erx to simply write a wolvekit script for it? im sure they are happy to help :)

Guest 3841499

If it would be so simple, we would have many auto-completed WKit script mods and I am not aware of a single one made that way, although they may exist.

MonarchX;n10923533 said:
If it would be so simple, we would have many auto-completed WKit script mods and I am not aware of a single one made that way, although they may exist.

Cant't tell if you are being serious or not...

Wolvenkit in a nutshell is just a collection of small libraries that parse files for the game, wrapped up in a user interface.
Sure you can write some simple automation with it, for example I wrote some automated stuff to auto generate .journal files, bulk import gfx files for redswf, and I'm also starting some other stuff when it comes to figuring out more of these unknown bytes.

but that is just it, simple, anything more complex requires more involvement by the modder, to the point that you basically spent the same amount of time doing that as you would have done making the mod.

Regardless, what you want (from what I understand is an automated way to remove fake light sources) is not really doable, given how specific some CR2Ws can be - you would need a map of every chunk and variable to change for your target files, and good luck trying to work that out without looking a the files manually.

Guest 3841499

Lim3zer0;n10923599 said:
Cant't tell if you are being serious or not...

Wolvenkit in a nutshell is just a collection of small libraries that parse files for the game, wrapped up in a user interface.
Sure you can write some simple automation with it, for example I wrote some automated stuff to auto generate .journal files, bulk import gfx files for redswf, and I'm also starting some other stuff when it comes to figuring out more of these unknown bytes.

but that is just it, simple, anything more complex requires more involvement by the modder, to the point that you basically spent the same amount of time doing that as you would have done making the mod.

Regardless, what you want (from what I understand is an automated way to remove fake light sources) is not really doable, given how specific some CR2Ws can be - you would need a map of every chunk and variable to change for your target files, and good luck trying to work that out without looking a the files manually.

Yeah, which is why I said what I said. I am not sure if it came across the way it was meant to, but I was trying to say that the kind of scripts that would do what I wanted would not be simple at all. I inquired that after I asked ervx about writing a Wkit script that would go through all provided w2scene files and remove:

1. All fake artificial light source entries - sceneLights array parameter (from top-most 0-index CStoryScene chunk)
and
2. All "lightMod1 & lightMod2" sub-parameters under "sceneEventElements" parameter in all CStorySceneCutsceneSection and in all CStorySceneSection chunks, but ONLY "lightMod1 & lightMod2" parts need removal, the rest of "Camera Light" events parameters and entries must remain (or else the game crashes)

I have already completed part 1 manually for all main, side, primary NPC, secondary NPC, generic, minor, EP1, and BOB quests (3000+ files, I think) in 2 sittings (of many hours...). Only "Living World" scenes remain and I could care less for those. Part 2 has significantly more entries and my head begins to spin as I keep looking through chunks and 100's of sub-parameters. I can't even remember which ones I have done and which ones I have not, so I re-check, which is just as time consuming... And of course deleting the wrong parameter results in crashes during cutscenes.

It makes more sense to either not do it or pay someone to do it or learn how to program, which would be even more difficult and more time consuming but the benefit would be greater than simply completing this one mod.

The funny part is that this is what it really takes to create a more uniform cutscene lighting with good transitions because the number of these fake light sources and cam lights not adjustable by ENV files is huge. It makes many cutscenes very inconsistent, with characters having a ton of fake light from one angle and none from the other, then back to glowing in the dark - all in a single cutscene. It's just too obvious in most cases. Lights aren't the issue, but consistency of their use bothers me too much.

It would be nice if there was a simpler way, maybe a .ws-based script that could do the same, but I wouldn't know.

We're going to drop all of this top-tier / low-tier modder nonsense, please. And by, "please," what I really mean is: "now." Patience for this type of ear-flicking and skirmishing is long since exhausted.

(Displays the contents of a large box labeled "Patience". It is empty.)

That's two posts deleted now. When you're told in blue font to drop something, please do not continue to pursue said matter in public.

Last edited:
Top Bottom