What did you expect from Cyberpunk 2077 and you didn't get?

+
First of all, I really love this game and can't wait for the first DLC to play a 3rd playthrough.

If there is one thing that I expected and didn't get it is more RPG style dialogue with different options that would have an impact on the outcome of the conversation / quest. It would have been super cool to have more different outcomes like you would get in Fallout.

Look, I'm not here to argue. Some people love the game, some of them hate it, some just don't like certain things. Perhaps it wouldn't be a stupid idea that perhaps we can all list what we expected from Cyberpunk? What did you hope to see or experience and wasn't there? I'm talking about the world, characters, and story really, not interested in dwelling on bugs and AIs (unless it's ALT) since it's a different department. Besides, it was listed by many ad nauseam. What were your expectations when you clicked play the first time?

What we got plus these:

1- more fleshed out characters:
there are so many great characters (such as Evelyn, Jackie, T-Bug, Dex etc) that were all wasted and underutilized. but it seems the writers pushed Panam down our throats because her quests are infinite.
2- the city to be more alive and real, which means NPCs with schedules (like it was in TW3?) and more responsive to you. they just wander around aimlessly like zombies and serve as a decoration for a pretty painting, the city
3- the story to be more about V than Johnny Silverhand. on second act I really felt like my character took a backseat so we can dive into JS's world. it also seems like all characters mentioned previously had their arcs cut short to make room for more JS...just a feeling.
4- choices and consequences, choices and consequences, choices and consequences, choices and consequences
5- choices and consequences

Look, I'm not here to argue. Some people love the game, some of them hate it, some just don't like certain things. Perhaps it wouldn't be a stupid idea that perhaps we can all list what we expected from Cyberpunk? What did you hope to see or experience and wasn't there? I'm talking about the world, characters, and story really, not interested in dwelling on bugs and AIs (unless it's ALT) since it's a different department. Besides, it was listed by many ad nauseam. What were your expectations when you clicked play the first time?

I expected a game about V and Night City. Not Keanu Reeves. Maybe something with more factions and choices at least. And certainly not some 2deep4u tragedy on being terminally ill... complete with Schopenhauer quotes.

Last edited:
I expected a cyberpunk open world RPG game based loosely on the Cyberpunk table top games.

I basically got that, with some notable exceptions. I was expecting more open world exploration and less "done with that, move on" mentality. I was expecting a large city setting, but was not expecting it to be as untouchable as it is. I was expecting a theme park story line, but thought it would be a little longer. So, I basically got what I was expecting, just less of it than I was expecting.

One thing that I got more of than I was expecting is bugs, but I can play the game.

I never bothered with the marketing and hype. They actually had my interest at "Cyberpunk" but I paid little attention until it was time to consider whether to buy it. I did pre-order, but it was shortly before it shipped. That means that I really don't care that "Feature X" is missing from some video from 2018 because that video was not part of my purchase decision.

exptected: A game that is ready to show off next-gen game mechanics and an immersive open world.
got: Beta testing beautiful backdrop with game mechanics from early 2000s and a roadmap.

Didn't accompany the hype train, so I didn't have a lot to expect, but still got a little disappointed.
I expected:

- More witcher 3 lvl side quests. We get very little from night city and the universe in general. I expected some original content from night city, but we mostly get references and easter eggs to sci-fi/pop culture. P.ex.: the "best surgeon in Japan" from The Office is hilarious in the original, but it just looks uninspired when seen copy-paste in cyberpunk. I wouldn't mind the occasional reference if we didn't have so little original side quests. I can barely count gigs since they look more like camp clearings, without meaningful interaction. It's go in -> shoot stuff/stealth -> profit 90% of the time.

- Better and more races and more interactive ways of using vehicles. The barmaid races look very weird and undercooked with the whole shooting-is-allowed thing, since shooting doesn't do a thing. It would be better if it was simple racing. Not being able to shoot from vehicles is a bummer after it's been around for at least 10 years in gaming. I understand there are no scenarios in the game for that, but it's underwhelming we get all those vehicles just to get from a gig to another

- Better customization. No chromed skin or cyberparts...

- Gang interaction. They are passive target practice. Kinda sad we can join the Aldecados and that's it.

• Purchasable apartments
  • Able to change hair/makeup/nail color/ add or change tattoos after character creation
  • Fleshed out romances
  • Life paths actually being different throughout the main story
  • As one already pointed out, V being the main protagonists
  • Interactive world similar to gta (hate to say it because I know it’s NOT supposed to be like gta) but way better
  • Street credit actually meaning something, like gaining more respect from the world...that’s how it’s supposed to work, right?
  • Being able to travel the world via metro
  • Saving V

Last edited:
I expected the next generation of open world, immersive and interactive and polished experience, where all your choices had consequences rippling across the world.

I expected mature game that doesn't shy away from nudity.

And I expected it to come when it was ready.

I guess I didn't get neither of these.

Last edited:
Personally my biggest wish is possibility to meaningfully continue play in Night City after is SP storyline finished. I purposely used word "wish", because I had practically no concrete expectations when decided purchase this game. I enjoyed and still enjoy play, but there is quite strong feelt that atm have this game limited replayability ... which is kinda sad, because I rly like Night City environment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom