Votes: 25 18.0%
  • Blood and broken bones!

Votes: 69 49.6%
  • Death march!

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • Mix!

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
According to GoG Galaxy I have been playing for 12h 12m as of this post. I started on Blood and broken bones which is how I answered the poll but after progressing past the Prologue zone I am ready to graduate to Death march.

here is what I like about the difficulty of the game. If you catch an opponent of guard and you aggressively follow up your attacks you can really do a number on even creatures 3 to 4 lvls above you. You get caught off guard and you can really be put down fast. Getting swarmed is deadly but decent tactics can really tear through your enemies. I really like this approach. No overly drawn out combats because your enemies have 20 times your health and hit harder to make things hard. In this game you get harder hitting monsters but their hits are not so high to drag out combat, the way they made things difficult is to make the enemy smarter and aggressive.

i'll see how I do with death March with a fresh start. Note to self get DLC armour asap and harvest every herb to sell to be able to afford it,

I find blood and broken bones just the right amount of difficult. if I don't pay attention I die easily, but it's more than manageable.

The horse is your friend. Can cut down a gang of humans in 1\2 the time you would on foot when on Black March difficulty.

I'm on blood and broken bones. I don't feel like being bogged down due to combat being *too* difficult. I find the difficulty still challenging, if you're not paying attention and/or unprepared, then you'll still go down very quickly. Starting to get a hang of the combat as well, when everything clicks, it's a sweet, sweet feeling.

Blood and Broken bones seems to me to be the perfect balance of fun and challenge. If you're not paying attention or lose concentration you will die very, very quickly, but at the same time if you know what you're doing you can fight your way out of nearly any situation.

I am also on death march and it is perfect for me. I also had problems at that first fight same as you but glad i stuck with it. Every encounter feels dangerous but not insurmountable, its just perfect, pretty much like the rest of the game so far. I just finished the second boss (wont spoil anything don't worry) and it was easier than the griffin but that's probably down to the fact that i am now very used to the fighting style. I would stick with death march if I were you it will also make the game last longer, this game is so good i almost don't want to play it because it means that i will be that much closer to finishing it and i never want it to end!

thank you for sharing. im feeling exact the same way. dont want to play it because i get to the finish line with every hour =) i hate that in rly good games...

Anyone here playing on DM? If so, do you have any tips and how hard is it?
All depends on what skilled gamer you are, some people will find death march easy and some people won't be able to do it at all. Try it, you can always lower the difficulty if it becomes too frustrating. I will say though the very first fight can be very tough if you can make it through that(quen sign is your friend) then it does get slightly easier as you start leveling up and applying abilities to your build. Keep your guard up at all times, keep moving(using the dodge button) and make deliberate slashes with your sword(no button smashing). Also helps to keep geralt at the edge of the fight rather than being surrounded by enemies, if you are surrounded use the roll to escape to the edge as quickly as possible and maybe back off even further to give yourself some breathing room and to allow your spell to regenerate. After that fight try to save before every enemy encounter and apply oils and drink potions for the relevant enemy types, if you have them. Always check the beastiary its very important to know each enemies weaknesses. Patience is key, fights will take longer on death march, trying to spam the same attack to get the fight over quicker will most probably be the end of you. I usually attack humans with a strong attack first then follow up with one or two quick attacks, But for most standard montsers (drowners, ghouls etc) I use quick attack first as they(opponents) are quicker than the human enemies. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:
Death March and loving it, Prologue was too easy but since I arrived in Velen it's very challenging .

I started on level 3 but was getting slaughtered. I guess it's taking me longer than I thought to get used to the fighting. I've dropped to level 2 with the intention of going back up later.

Playing on DM and do actually think it's awesome. Of course I have to retry some monsters here and there, but exploring and finding stuff is more important on DM.
So I get the most out of the game ... from my perspective ;)

Playing on Death March, toughest fights so far for me were the large Wolf packs containing what 7 Wolfs and 1 Warg? Just hit Velen, haven't gotten into a fight there yet.
My biggest enemy so far has been myself when getting overconfident and getting killed while going all out on an enemy.
Best advice for the higher difficulties I can give is go at it slow, take your time, study your enemies movements and DON'T get greedy and loose focus, even when it's only 1 mob left out of a pack.

Also when fighting humans, they are possibly the weakest enemy type you can encounter but beware those dudes wielding giant 2H polearms, dodge every of their strikes as parrying them WILL put you off balance and make you open for an attack.

Last edited:
Started on death march but went down to second from the top. I felt there was a big gap between the two as i'm now finding it way too easy. If the loads when you die were more instant I would have stuck with death march but it was a bit much when trying to learn the systems. I should restart but not sure I can be bothered to go through the prologue area again.... want to see the bigger areas!

I am also playing with no minimap, quest markers or control hints.... something I would strongly recommend!

Last edited:
@apoc_reg, I agree that no mini map really makes the game more awesome. I found the mini map at the very first second very "attention-seeking", easy for eyes to glide over there when you are unsure of your surroundings and that isn't what I feel I was suppose to, so off with mini map. Just have to put up the map often but that's life! It's cool.

i'm playing on the 2nd hardest one I think, no health from meditation. it's pretty annoying sometimes, packs of wolves and wild dogs really hurt lol. i'm gonna try and stick with it though!

just wish the preparation system was left in the harder levels... jugging potions eating food while fighting just like any other button smasher out there... this was cheap : P

Top Bottom