What disappointed you about this game?

+
I was missing some war scenes, I mean some big battle scenes because in TW2 and even in TW1 we had them but in TW3 where the war is in full swing, we don't get any battle scene between the armies.. it's cool that we see the aftermath after battles where you can clearly see dead soldiers, horses, destroyed buldings and army tents and all that stuff + the game shows how the war can affect people living in the war zone, but the real shame is that we don't see atleast one time in the story some big battle scene..

Another disappoitment for me was the political side of the game.. after TW2 which had fantastic story with many political machinations, intrigues and twists, TW3 was rather poor in this aspect.. Emhyr had only brief moments in the game, Radovid was from the start of TW3 a one dimensional lunatic, Dijkstra went full stupid in the Reason of State sidequest, members of the Scoia'tael almost weren't in the whole game, that sidequest in Skellige about a new ruler was in fact really basic and didn't had much of a complexity to speak of, etc..

The big problem was also the whole deal with White Hunt.. all the members of WH had very little characterization, had only one-liners to tell and were just a weak main enemy of the game.. I always loved their interactions with characters like Ciri in the books, the dialog scenes between Ciri and Eredin are still great and the fact that the whole WH story in TW3 was poorly handled is even more painfull when you realise that Eredin in TW1 had more presence and clever dialog scenes with Geralt than in the whole TW3.. I would say WH was even better handled in TW2 than in TW3.. a real shame really
+ I'm still torn about Avallac'h.. I kinda understand why he helps Ciri and is going against Eredin, but still, his motivations were really blurly and never explained in the game and after Ciri saves/dies at the end, he just vanishes without seeing him ever again..

Then I was disappointed in some of the gameplay systems - I would like to have more active abilities to choose from, more varied and harder to read/learn enemy attacks and patterns, higher difficulty option, better boss battles in the main game, more interesting Witcher senses system, etc..

But still TW3 is of course a great game and real gem between all modern, not just RPG games.. but yeah, it could be better

Hmm..

* The end-state of the game - I felt there definitely should have been some more end-game quests to close things out with each character and maybe in each city you visited so you could see how some of the choices you'd made changed the city for better or worse.
* Dialed back sex scenes from W2 - they were exceptional in W2 I felt, but very short and cookie cutter in W3 for the most part. Hope CP2077 is more like W2 with this. Sex is not something to be afraid to show, especially when the game is marketed for adults.
* Having Djikstra betray Roche / Geralt, etc. He's a really smart dude - there's no way he'd do something that stupid - betraying Geralt in front of his friends with the assumption that either Geralt would leave or that Djikstra could win in a fight against Geralt, LOL. Just wouldn't have happened. Period.
* Limited exposure to some characters like Fringilla that could have added to the Triss / Yen / Geralt drama - Fringilla is a pretty significant character toward the end of the books - would've been nice to see her get some screen / quest time.

Still W3 is the best game I've ever played. But those are just a few things I thought of on the fly that would have made the game even better.

Razrback16;n10824731 said:
* Dialed back sex scenes from W2 - they were exceptional in W2 I felt, but very short and cookie cutter in W3 for the most part. Hope CP2077 is more like W2 with this. Sex is not something to be afraid to show, especially when the game is marketed for adults.

To be fair, some of that is the result of censorship, CDPR apparently had to change content to avoid the AO rating, you can read about it in this article.

sv3672;n10831721 said:
To be fair, some of that is the result of censorship, CDPR apparently had to change content to avoid the AO rating, you can read about it in this article.

Ya, I've read that article in the past - it's one I've actually used to compliment CDPR when pointing out how they approach sex in their games - that their games aren't "about" sex, they simply have sex in them because that's part of life and human behavior - IMO, CDPR should simply rate their games AO if needed rather than compromise in any areas related to the story which, for me, includes sex as it ties in directly with the emotional relationship development between characters.

I LOL'd when re-reading that article at the quote about how the "pelvic thrusting" is the issue - it's just a "mature" rating if we see Geralt chopping people's heads off with blood spurting everywhere, and sorceresses being burned at the stake while screaming in pain, but we're going to bump it up to "Adults Only" if there's a guy thrusting into a woman doggie style - LOL. These idiots that come up with the ratings....

The only major thing that bugged me was being able to stumble into quests that I had no hope of accomplishing at that level, then needing to reload the game because of it and purposefully avoid that area. My hope for Cyberpunk 2077 is that there's a system that prevents high-level quests from triggering while still leaving areas free to explore.

I believe that The Witcher 3 is the best game I have ever played. With that said, there are obviously flaws, as there are with any game, and particularly a game of this size. Here are a few:

1. The biggest flaw in the game is probably the lack of characterization of its main villains. We do get some understanding of their motives eventually, but really the Wild Hunt is mostly just evil without much explanation. And the leaders of the Wild Hunt don’t necessarily get much screentime. This, to me, is probably the biggest flaw in the story. There’s no dynamic, interesting, memorable, and/or nuanced villain. Which is suprising in a game that does so well at showing shades of gray and nuance otherwise. Hearts of Stone really had a good villain, but I wish the main game had too. As good as the story was, there was a little bit of something missing for me near the end. And I think the lack of a great villain made the end stages of the story matter less to me, because there wasn’t a sense of finally confronting some super interesting villain. It was more of a “Okay, time to defeat the randomly evil villain.” Obviously, at its heart, the game was a personal story about Geralt and Ciri, so you could argue you don’t need a focus on the villains, but a good villain would’ve been part of that personal story in a real, emotional way.

2. I think the war was not shown enough. It’s always subtly in the background, but after White Orchard there’s very rarely any stories about the war, so you kind of forget it’s happening. I wouldn’t necessarily need a big battle sequence (though a battle for Novigrad could’ve been weaved in and potentially been good), since that’s not necessarily in keeping with the more human stories this game tells. But I think there could’ve definitely been more side quests that tied into the emotional effect war has on normal people. I think CDPR clearly intended to focus a bit more on the war, as we can see from the presence and almost non-use of the Nilfgaardian camp. I imagine that was intended to be part of some war-related questlines. So perhaps they did this, but decided it wasn’t quite up to par. Which is fine. But in an ideal world, I think we would’ve gotten some more stories relating to the war.

3. Relatedly, we don’t really see much interesting political machinations. Again, I know it was a personal story more than anything, but there’s a lot of interesting political intrigue going on in the background with some potentially very interesting characters, and we don’t see a whole lot of it, which I think is ultimately a shame, though not a huge deal.

4. Ideally, we would’ve been able to explore the inside of more buildings. It’s not a huge deal, but in an ideal world that would’ve been the case.

5. This is super nitpicky, but I sometimes thought there were too many dialogue lines from Geralt where he omitted the noun at the beginning of the sentence. Again, this was a very tiny thing, and the dialogue in this game was still almost certainly the best written in any game I’ve ever played.

6. I think there were too many mountains in Skellige. It made it difficult to get around. Similarly, there weren’t enough boats to get between different islands. I found myself often needing to run around very far just to get a boat. Obviously you can fast travel, so it’s not a big deal, but still.

There’s probably more, but I’m drawing a blank now. I think #1 is by far the biggest issue for me with the game. For a game with such unbelievably good storytelling it did have relatively weak villains.

Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games if not my favorite game. There aren't to many things that disapointed me, most of my complains are more lore related: like to little or none of Fringilla, Adda, Dandelion or Yarpen. The Lodge only appears at the end. Or the fact that Triss romance path feels more like an afterthought compared with the Yennefer one.
Compared with the other games I felt that the signs were weaker, although I used a alchemist/ warrior build, so I may be mistaken.

Okay so now that i saw this thread, i have some things to mention (that you probabely noticed in the game):
1- moving. when i was riding roache, i easily get stuck with trees like they are glue or something. and also there was some points where geralt get stuck. for example when he is in combat mode, the jumping animation is so annoying as he cant jump over any objects. i got stuck once fighting a water hag and was forced to load an old save file. (I didnt mention roaches damned mounting animation as you can just walk away for like 20 meters and whistle and he will respawn at another place)
2-good 'ol "triss n yen romance" situation. i dont know if this was from the books or not, but the fact that yen treats geralt as some tamed animal is really annoying. [Spoiler alert] that was the reason that i told triss that i love her, and didnt have the chance to tell yen that i dont love her (because i've done the "last wish" quest before meeting triss) and as you can guess i came up with the threesome bait quest and now im all alone by myself.

This is really best game ever in my opinion .While not disappointments there are things I would change/add :

- Long loading times when you die (its like between 30 - 50 seconds not sure how much exactly). Not sure what that long honestly.

- Jumping option with Roach is not done good. When you jump with Roach you almost entirely lose your momentum and your speed. They could have done this option better .

- No some hard, badass, dragon witcher contract , something like final contract where you must put all you have to beat it.

- No some huge scale battle where you fight on North / South side.That would be cool.

- Kinda disappointed with Wild Hunt in the end when we find out they are just elves . I was expecting something way more dark, magical and mysterious about them.This is actually only real disappointment about this game.

Last edited:
Hi,
to name my top 3 disappointments:

1) Empty world
Many points of interest are not interesting - just some treasures and stuff.
Almost none of them - or none of them at all - have any impact on open world.

Only thing that actually happens in the world is main quest.
Even the secondary quests/contracts have no impact on world.

I thought that the quest with three witches shown in gameplay trailer was by quality secondary quest and was thrilled to see main quest.

2) Combat
Basically hack and slash with no added value.

It could be me, but I find it extremely bad about using petards and oils = combat begins -> go to menu -> go to alchemy -> browse and apply all the alchemy stuff -> go back to game.
Not to mention, that player needs to re-enter inventory due to alchemy many times in combat.
While using swords or signs, player just holds single key to kill everything around, but this alchemy navigation stuff adds like 30 hours of gameplay :D

3) (Sometimes) meaningless dialog (options)
I think that some dialogues are badly written.

Options were presented as choosing lesser evil, but in the end, everyone just dies still :D
Like - player frees tree spirit and that horse just kills everyone, player kills spirit and so witches kill all the children.
And there was no possibility to deal with consequences - it was just like "pick who dies and move on" :D
For me it felt like quest was designed to be sad and full of death no matter what; and I think it's wrong design then.
As I find this description as perfect definition of quest for witcher game, it should also be clear from the gameplay that player can influence the story in a positive way too and no death is predefined.

Also, selecting dialogue option was not intuitive.
Like - there is fight going on and player chooses option "save all". Then in cinematic Geralt draws sword to kill the bad guys; everybody gets angry, attacks, and at the end, everybody still dies.
Main problem with this is that there are added some unpredictable events to dialogue options; and these sometimes completely contradict to what happens.
It's hard to understand, if option is meant be be joke, ironic, fighty - or even what will Geralt actually say.

I seriously hate that at level 7 I tried to sent Keira to Kaer Morhen and found out that I failed a quest at level 21 hours upon hours later because she decides not to go there. Poor game design when you think you are doing it correct and the people who made the game still make you fail halfway through the game without ANY notice or way to fix it. Regret buying this game because I’m unwilling to restart again and go though all the bullshit to possible fail a quest days later and not know how or why because it was designed badly.

// Blue = mod edit / Muffliato.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) RPG tag
I can't choose a character, I can't made a choices different of those what is already were maded by scenarists. You know, i f i want to go cinema, i go to the cinema and watching a film. In addition there is only one ending that differs only by Ciri lives or Ciri dies. No choice at all. The most stupid ending - Ciri becomes a witcheress - is considered to be good. Yeah, pennyworking mercenary that roam the swamps. Best ending. OK.

2) Lack of choice
Only Geralt play game. Geralt is very specific, i would probably could call me a dumbwarrior within lack of common sense and logic, for man as for me Lambert or Eskel would be a better option to play as. Bu there is no choice at all and it is called an RPG. OK.
No choice at all. I see a herbalist witch - and i can't /date/ with her. I see succubi - and i can't /date/ with her. Amazing. Triss and Yen? Sry, they both sucks. I don't like, i like something else more. I mean, i consider them both as the WORST option, but game forces me to talk with them.
I can't choose a Wild Hunt as allies, there is just no option of it. It is animated book or it is a game?
3) Plot is worse that scenarios of CoD conveyor.
3.1. Plot holes.
Wild Hunt shown as Aen Ellen (500+ years lifeform) elite squad that have 99.99% of knowledges about everything. And what to do i see? Pack of idiots that can't even organize their army well. Their armor is the same shit as armor of typical road deserter and got easily pierced by a scumworld's sword and spells, ye? Are you serious?
There is no information why even i shall consider them to be bad guys - they just did nothing bad. All they want to do - to make Ciri shut the portal (and she does it in the end of the game) and then became a princess or empress of Aen Elle nation. Is that bad? Seems not. So why i shall fighting with them? I see no reason. Who taught you to make a plot like this?

Crones were killed by Ciri not having a silver sword. Oh, OK. it is probably the main idea of the whole witcher universe that to fight and paranormal things you need a silver sword. But OK, fine, nice plot, well made and prob well paid job.
Emhyr's bowing is just ridiculous. Geralt dispeled him from the curse and has no threat for him at all.
3.2 Things that makes hate main characters
Gwynleve asked a kmet to give a crop. Kmet gave a shiity crop. Gwynleve punishes them firstly as commander secondly as farmer. Geralt says him that he is evil. EXCUSE ME WHAT? It is a known fact that witchers can eat a shit due to high metabolism, but soldiers are not a witchers. But when kmet burns a forge Geralt says nothing. Here you go, geralt the double-faced asshole.
Same with Orianna (And Crones). She(They) gives a life to children(kmets), children(kmets) give life to her(them). BUT WEEEIT HERE COMES GERBOND FROM SYRIA AND SAYS THAT IT IS BAD. Well, actually i don't care about your opinion, gray-haired senile.

Ciri. She is just stupid or what? She has no any plans, all she is doing is making things worse. OH NO I DONT WANNA TO LIVE IN BETTER [Aen Elle] REALM I WANNA LIVE IN THIS SWAMP AND HUNT FOR DROWNERS FOR RUPEES, DATING WITH KMETS IN PASSING. Well she got what she wanted, i hope some gryphon will catch her up and eat by pieces alive.

Roshe and Djkstra choice. Choose Roshe over Djkstra is shown as right decision, but wait, let's compar them at first maybe? Roshe is an useless man that can do nothinng except swing by iron stick for the glory of collapsed shitmeria country what nobody gives a clue anymor except him. Djkstra is a stong politician and desicive man that may be a new ruler. The choice is obvious, but the game wanna say me that Djkstra is bad. Well, i don't care it is my choice.

Radovid is unshown at all. There could be a nice step showing why exactly He starts to mage- and gnome- hunting by influence of Adda(Stryga) to conquer the world for monsters. But no he is just madboy, pretty cool thou, the idea to cosplay him is better than senile geralt. But as i say - one-day-work maded plot gives players no choice at all.

The last as i remember was Lambert crying about that his dumb father sold him to witchers for Vodka. Oh man seriously, this was the best what your father could give to you. Now you have immortality thanks to him and ability to fight practically anyone in this world. Otherwise you would by already killed by bandits/monsters as village laborer or being slain as soldier in the next war between the kings.

4) Enemies and Gameplay
Enemies.They sucks. They have an AI of games realized in 2000, maybe 2007.
Gameplay sucks too. I can pass this game without using keypoints or mutagens at all, jsut rightclicking and dodging everything what i do see. Even at hard difficulty bombs and pots are useless. Seeing this i wonder is there were a real necessity in making witcher's school or not. Seems not thou.

Graphic 9/10
Music 9/10
Plot 2/10
Gameplay 5/10​

The Wild Hunt don't hunt Ciri to close "the portal". Eredin wants to catch Ciri to get her powers to conquer other worlds with his armies. Dunno where you have the thing with the portal. And she will be no princess of the Aen Elle, she will surly not survive when her powers are "ripped" out of her. You can kill any monster with a steel sword, but it takes more time and you can kill humans with silver swords. It's not that the blade break when you hit the "wrong" person ;)
And the Crones are evil. Yeah they give children food... to eat 'em later... not really nice.
No one said, that Dijsktra is the wrong choice. It's an RPG you choose what is okay and not okay for you. CDPR don't say to you what's good or not :)
1 out of 10 children survive the trial of grasses that will make you a witcher. So Lambert was right to be nary as f**k about it. And witchers are not immortal.

This game is pretty massive disappointment for me all the Witcher games are but this one was the biggest for me. I thought CDPR would finally learn from their poor game game design mistakes in their mainstream breakout game but nope. While W3 is a great interactive movie as video game it is pretty subpar and probably one of the most overrated games of the past decade. Idiotic games critics and easily impressed modern day gamers are impressed with good cinematics, great graphics, great cutscenes, etc.. but ignore what videos are actually about playing them. Story driven games have a place in gaming I love many of them however the game itself still needs to be good. Portal 2 is a good example of a great video game that is story driven. A shit game with good cinematics and story is a still a shit video game no matter how dam good the story is. Witcher 3 gameplay is utterly terrible which isn't new since the Witcher series of games in general is filled with bad game design but this one stings because after 3 tries CDPR still can't design good gameplay to save their lifes and are just riding the off the great world Sapkowski wrote. They will probably ruin Cyperpunk. I don't personally hate CDPR but its annoying people praise this subpar low talent developer.

Guest 3847602

Meh, I'm still having a lot of fun playing the game. There is nothing revolutionary about the combat in TW3 and doesn't have to be as long as it doesn't have some crippling flaw. For all I care, that's enough for a story-driven game.
The 2 most annoying design choices for me are artificial penalties for fighting "red scull" enemies and crossbow that doesn't function anything like its real word counterpart (rapid fire and low damage is a complete nonsense for this weapon) but I can live with that if I enjoy the story and characters (which I do 90% of the time).

LegateLaniusThe2nd;n10948670 said:
This game is pretty massive disappointment for me all the Witcher games are but this one was the biggest for me. I thought CDPR would finally learn from their poor game game design mistakes in their mainstream breakout game but nope. While W3 is a great interactive movie as video game it is pretty subpar and probably one of the most overrated games of the past decade. Idiotic games critics and easily impressed modern day gamers are impressed with good cinematics, great graphics, great cutscenes, etc.. but ignore what videos are actually about playing them. Story driven games have a place in gaming I love many of them however the game itself still needs to be good. Portal 2 is a good example of a great video game that is story driven. A shit game with good cinematics and story is a still a shit video game no matter how dam good the story is. Witcher 3 gameplay is utterly terrible which isn't new since the Witcher series of games in general is filled with bad game design but this one stings because after 3 tries CDPR still can't design good gameplay to save their lifes and are just riding the off the great world Sapkowski wrote. They will probably ruin Cyperpunk. I don't personally hate CDPR but its annoying people praise this subpar low talent developer.

Welcome to the club

Deemonef;n10947191 said:
The Wild Hunt don't hunt Ciri to close "the portal". Eredin wants to catch Ciri to get her powers to conquer other worlds with his armies. Dunno where you have the thing with the portal. And she will be no princess of the Aen Elle, she will surly not survive when her powers are "ripped" out of her. You can kill any monster with a steel sword, but it takes more time and you can kill humans with silver swords. It's not that the blade break when you hit the "wrong" person ;)

It could be in a book by it wasn't in the game. In game, Avalachah (who is betrayer and desertir) said about portal, unicorns and other stuff. She will be a princess due to Aen Elle's selection's sexperiments, you know? So in any ways it is much better than being a swamp hunter that works for 1 penni per 10 drowners or empress of dumbgaard that sucks in any war having massive advantage. Better ending goes here.

Deemonef;n10947191 said:
And the Crones are evil. Yeah they give children food... to eat 'em later... not really nice.
Crones are not evil, because, you know, they didn't break a balance. Gaunter is not evil due to the whole idea of W.Gauf of Cold heart story. The evil itself is dumbs like Olgierd and Roshe that whants to get everything being unable to give something for. Crones gives crop to the kmets, kmets give them children or themselves. And everyone were happy and everything were fine until one fenile didn't came and ruin it. Now kmets has no food at all and will probably extinct thanks to one thick head witchir. And ye, worrying about kmet's children and probably children at all in 2k18 it is so-so yu know yee

Deemonef;n10947191 said:
No one said, that Dijsktra is the wrong choice. It's an RPG you choose what is okay and not okay for you. CDPR don't say to you what's good or not :)
1 out of 10 children survive the trial of grasses that will make you a witcher. So Lambert was right to be nary as f**k about it. And witchers are not immortal.

It is said by dialogues. And this game cannot be called and RPG, it is animated book with a very, dramatically awful, worse than housewifes' detective books plot. Ye orianna was right pointing gerwant at his own lousy secret, but it still changes nothing for Lambert. Between choosing life as kmet [what chance are there?wars, plagues and etc?] or life as witcher with 1/10 chance 'to be born' no way to choose second option. And witchers are 'practically immortal'.

Avallac'h don't want Ciri to close some portal and to be a princess. He wants her to destroy the White Frost in the games, and nothing more :)
Crones ate people and controlled their life, and this is not really nice or good. And after the crones are killed the people of Velen can live/have their own life. They have their own fate in their own hands, and this is good.
A comment before you said living as a normal person isn't that bad, and now it is different fr Lambert? Weird ;)
And it's not all about Lambert himself, it is about that his father (who he wished were killed) was rescued by a witcher and noiw Lambert was the pay for the witcher. A pay for a live he didn't wanted to be saved :)

I'm now left with only a few little dissapointments. I was hoping, that Beauclair Caste was more open to have some more action inside, not only one quest, I would like to look more into the architecture and rooms of that palace. Also, what dissapoints me, are the huge amount of bugs that are still left in the game, even after 1.31. I hope, CDPR is learning from this a bit for Cyberpunk.

Top Bottom