What disappointed you about this game?

+
The way Yennefer doesn't respect Geralt's choice to be with Triss (and the lack of interaction with Triss thereof), although I could generalize this into the lack of previous choices mattering, and a generally uninspired main plot. And before someone says something, yes, I read the books, and still only want Triss.

Not enough interaction with characters such as Vigo and Phil, and killing off Kalkstein.

Perhaps your blind hatred deterred you from seeing my logical justification of why I think it is the best game? Go back and read it again, and report to me your findings.

It IS the greatest game ever. That isn't hyperbole
Well...it is the best game ever made
It is phenomenal

Right....what clairvoyant and insightful reasons as to why you like the game! I'm definitely convinced now. Saying the game is the best game ever made because its the best game ever made, and furthermore implying that this game is beyond reproach is childish and toxic behaviour. It's not good for CDPR for fans to refuse to entertain the idea that the game might have flaws. This is what we cal fanboy fervor. You have contracted it, kid. Enjoy the ignorance, but know that the game is not perfect, and is not the greatest game of all time, and even if it were, the game would always be open to criticism.

Last edited:
This is one of my favourite games ever, but that doesn't mean I was happy with everything about it. There's a lot of refinement that can be done with UI, gameplay mechanics, character development, the story and, in particular, the epilogue.

Having these criticisms, however, does not mean I am hating the on the game or on CDPR. Just to be clear, I love what they have done, but there is no such thing as perfection, especially since beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can't please everyone either but squashing heartfelt feedback is not constructive. Everyone has their own opinion and CDPR will be the judge as to what they feel is important because this is their creative work we're talking about.

It's impossible to avoid emotional posting with a game built on two previous games and multiple books, which pushes us to grow attached. Those emotions often make it difficult to be objective, but there is always grains of truth no matter what, even if it can get extremely difficult if people get carried away.

I agree, but the argument I am making is this thread has a toxic feel about it, not a suggested improvement feel. There is a toxic air about this game that is unwarranted. CDR can fix a lot of the things in this game with criticism, I agree, but the level of toxicity surrounding the criticism is going to have the reverse effect possibly. Why would they want to continue providing free content, being friends of the consumers, when the moment they stumble (and that stumble is highly debatable) there is an out pour of moaning and whining that will not cease, and when people defend the game they are bashed as fanboys? CDPR releases extra content for free in an age when NO extra content is free, and what has that netted them? Absolutely no loyalty.

So I guess I'm trying to say posts that start with "What are you disappointed with" come off as highly negative and shitty as opposed to "suggested improvements." I think CDPR has earned a bit of that from the fans. But I see I'm in the minority there.

Also, if they fixed nothing, I would still rank this my favorite game because: The story is amazing and gripping--even the sidequests are well written and moving. But things like the Crones quest are so well done, I literally couldn't make a decision at times, and the outcome still bugs me. The music is amazing, I absolutely love it, the best of the three games, my favorite soundtrack yet, and Geralt is perfectly captured from the books but also you are allowed to take him in a narrative progression that he always seemed to be moving towards in the novels and short stories. I wouldn't change my view if CDPR kept the game as is. I have had not a single crash (and I have an AMD video card!), only one freeze in 40 hours, and I am playing on ultra and it is beautiful. I don't know what else I could ask for. More Triss I guess, but I imagine that might come.

Edit: I will say I do appreciate your civility in response too. Thanks!

---------- Updated at 12:06 PM ----------

Right....what clairvoyant and insightful reasons as to why you like the game! I'm definitely convinced now. Saying the game is the best game ever made because its the best game ever made, and furthermore implying that this game is beyond reproach is childish and toxic behaviour. It's not good for CDPR for fans to refuse to entertain the idea that the game might have flaws. This is what we cal fanboy fervor. You have contracted it, kid. Enjoy the ignorance, but know that the game is not perfect, and is not the greatest game of all time, and even if it were, the game would always be open to criticism.

Well I have these gems too: "This game is great, it is a great build on the previous two entries in the series. Where Witcher 2 was exponentially better than the first, so too is this game." So I like that the games get better with every iteration as a logical reason. And then lorewise: "Think of the Qunari for example. One game they're like big humans, the next they're horned demons. At least Zoltan stayed aesthetically similar throughout because there was a respect for the fans from the company." They have consistent lore, and I guess this requires reading between the lines because later I write: "I'm going to go read my Witcher books" as a way of taking a break from the game, meaning I must love the story, characters, and lore. But I'll spell it out. Obviously more logical reasons would be the game has just consumed my imagination: "I haven't seen the sunshine, and when I went to the park the other day, forcing myself to get out of here for some exercise, I went to the park map which is on a giant board and for a second thought I was searching for Witcher notices."

Anyway, there are my examples. I could repeat the same stock stuff everyone else does for you if you want.

I agree, but the argument I am making is this thread has a toxic feel about it, not a suggested improvement feel. There is a toxic air about this game that is unwarranted. CDR can fix a lot of the things in this game with criticism, I agree, but the level of toxicity surrounding the criticism is going to have the reverse effect possibly. Why would they want to continue providing free content, being friends of the consumers, when the moment they stumble (and that stumble is highly debatable) there is an out pour of moaning and whining that will not cease, and when people defend the game they are bashed as fanboys? CDPR releases extra content for free in an age when NO extra content is free, and what has that netted them? Absolutely no loyalty.

So I guess I'm trying to say posts that start with "What are you disappointed with" come off as highly negative and shitty as opposed to "suggested improvements." I think CDPR has earned a bit of that from the fans. But I see I'm in the minority there.

Also, if they fixed nothing, I would still rank this my favorite game because: The story is amazing and gripping--even the sidequests are well written and moving. But things like the Crones quest are so well done, I literally couldn't make a decision at times, and the outcome still bugs me. The music is amazing, I absolutely love it, the best of the three games, my favorite soundtrack yet, and Geralt is perfectly captured from the books but also you are allowed to take him in a narrative progression that he always seemed to be moving towards in the novels and short stories. I wouldn't change my view if CDPR kept the game as is. I have had not a single crash (and I have an AMD video card!), only one freeze in 40 hours, and I am playing on ultra and it is beautiful. I don't know what else I could ask for. More Triss I guess, but I imagine that might come.

You are missing the point. CDPR is not a bunch of insecure teenage boys who see that their product is not universally loved, and then throw a tantrum and scornfully refuse to do anymore. That is behaviour expected of a child not adults. You interpret loyalty VERY differently than how it should be interpreted. A loyal fan is not one that blindly refuses any possibility the game isn't perfect. A loyal fan continues to support the game while acknowledging or entertaining the criticisms targeted at the game. There's nothing shitty about saying you are disappointed in a game. How on earth does that come across as an attack? By virtue of expectations, certain people are pleasantly surprised and other people and disappointed. There's nothing wrong or aggressive with saying that the game is a disappointment. It's a criticism that is justified by the very fact that CDPR is creating an artistic product. WHATEVER game CDPR made, whether it was pong or simulated sex, everything that they do is subject to expectations, disappointment and criticism. And that's exactly how it should be. If you truly support CDPR in any capacity you would not say that the game is perfect and no one should talk bad about the game. Because the developer's feelings might get hurt? Seriously? C'mon now, CDPR is a company run by adults not needy brats.

@simonsteele

I totally get what you're saying, but there's always going to be an initial heated backlash with games like these. Like I said in some previous posts of mine too, games like these really hit emotional chords with people and that supercharges their need to point out problems. Mass Effect 3 is the best example because it was a fantastic trilogy that had a very unsatisfying ending which ticked enough people off that their emotions managed to kick off a huge firestorm. This wont happen wtih Witcher 3 since it doesn't have that same problem, but it will still happen to a smaller extent. Yeah it can feel toxic, but it's not out of malice but out of some level of a lack of emotional fulfillment.

Just to be upfront, I was a little disappointed with the cookie-cutter epilogue and the lack of closure of Geralt's story and feelings about the whole journey, in particular post-Ciri leaving. That gave me the impetus to start post and has obviously shaped what I write and in which threads. This, though, gives a big of a laser focus on certain issues that I talk about a lot when there's so much else I really enjoyed. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people posting and easy to forget.

I, personally, don't have a better answer for you and can only say "it is how it is.".

What's wrong/suggetions imo (there will be spoilers)

Story and such:
More dialogues with main characters. I want to have fun and discuss all kind of shit with them.

Lack of Iorveth/Saskia

Overall romantic arc is (not individual parts) handled poorly, you are railroaded into Triss without having enough time with Yen. On the other hand Triss disappears from the game even if you choose her. As far as I know there's more interaction with her if you go the cheating route that if you only choose her.

More options to romance, or at least, bang. With consequences. Sort of like a counter that if you get physical with x amount of girls you end up alone and you can keep doing just that with random women, but you heart is empty. Bloody baron's daughter (and he'll just kill you lol), dreamer, rosa, to name a few.

Too black and white main story, more shades of grey there. More dialogues with antagonists. Check out bloody baron's for reference on how to do a great quest.

Lack of an option to kill the emperor myself.

Gameplay:
Lack filters and sorting options, tabs in the inventory.

Lack of room in Kaer Morhen where you can store all your monster trophies.

Lack of merchant that sells monster parts, some are really hard to come by. Would probably require special currency, maybe trading

Oils should be have a long timer like the whetstones and only applied before battle, sort of like Ciri did it. Could be tied to difficulty or settings. Barring that, have Geralt perform an animation so it becomes impractical in combat.

Same with potions to a degree.

Items that you sell to a merchant should go to a buy back screen at least during the transaction.

Map markers like smiths etc should not be dependent on proximity.

Gwent: An option to choose which starting deck you want. Or an option to buy an "starting deck" with average cards for the other 3.

Some kind of list where you can check if you have played against somebody or not.

More reactivity when you steal people stuff (as it is I have to RP that part).

Last edited:
This is such a toxic attitude to have towards the game, and it makes you a very bad consumer. Refusing to offer criticism because you feel bad for the company is pathetic. The is varying degrees of good or varying degrees of bad. If the consumer (who has paid hard-earned money for the game) is not willing to admit the faults of the product, the product doesn't get better plain and simple. You think you are being kind, in fact you are doing a disservice to CDPR and the industry by extension.

To act as if it is an infallible fact that Witcher 3 is the best game ever made is such a ridiculous claim and shows how much a fanboy you are. There are problems with every game - this one included. In fifty years, this is not the game that people will remember the Witcher Series for. It will be Assassin's of Kings.

You hit the nail on this one mate, and the whole reason I created this thread. The community here are mostly mature folks and a civil discussion about improvement is what is needed. I thank everyone here for keeping this thread going strong and for keeping the peace. I value everyone opinion here even if there are those I disagree with but considering what I gather from this thread, a lot of people who have similar notion to myself.

With that said, nothing beat Assassin's of Kings. It was one of the very few games where I will never forget. So many memorial moment like when Triss shield Geralt and company from Scotael archers and because the graphic were ahead of its time, it was just made all the more awesome. Also, maybe it just me but Triss look way hotter in Witcher 2 then Witcher 3.

Witcher 2 is one of those games that I wish never ended because that how much I love that game. Though at the same time (many would disagree) it was a waste of money for me because it was far too short and since I"m not the type that does replay, I didn't feel I got my money worth out of it. But it is still one of the most exciting and enjoyable games I have ever play.

Unfortunately two of my all time favorite character in the Witcher universe is not in Witcher 3, lovreth and Saskia. I love them so much that every mmorpg I would name my character those name.

The only character that I like in Witcher 3 is the Bloody Baron. I was so hype and excited after finishing the Bloody Baron quest but it turn out not all main quest or side quest was as exciting and top notch like the Bloody Baron. I even shed a tear when Baron name his daughter Dea.

---------- Updated at 12:06 PM ----------

Well I have these gems too: "This game is great, it is a great build on the previous two entries in the series. Where Witcher 2 was exponentially better than the first, so too is this game." So I like that the games get better with every iteration as a logical reason. And then lorewise: "Think of the Qunari for example. One game they're like big humans, the next they're horned demons. At least Zoltan stayed aesthetically similar throughout because there was a respect for the fans from the company." They have consistent lore, and I guess this requires reading between the lines because later I write: "I'm going to go read my Witcher books" as a way of taking a break from the game, meaning I must love the story, characters, and lore. But I'll spell it out. Obviously more logical reasons would be the game has just consumed my imagination: "I haven't seen the sunshine, and when I went to the park the other day, forcing myself to get out of here for some exercise, I went to the park map which is on a giant board and for a second thought I was searching for Witcher notices."

Anyway, there are my examples. I could repeat the same stock stuff everyone else does for you if you want.

As the thread original poster, I respect your opinion mate. However there is a reason why I label this thread with the title "disappointment" instead of "improvement". As a veteran of gaming forum in general and more recently Riots and League of Legends, I have learn that thread like these often are the pinnacle of improvement. These threads alert the devs with a red flag to read more often then "improvement" thread.

Here is my quote: "Only with disappointment will there be improvement".

If you are content with what you have, then things just aren't going to be improve. There is no reason for it to be improve. Take real life for example, if your not disappointed with certain decision you made in real life, chances are your not going to work hard to improve it.

The lighting outside of conversation and cut scene mode leaves a lot to be desired.

The muddy textures, and reduced geometry.

Our choices from previous games being completely meaningless.

Characters from previous games disappearing without a trace, and not even a mention of what happened to them.

Sile being in the game for all of 30 seconds, an insult rather than an actual consequence of previous decisions, it was half-assed to say the least.

The dumbed down and downright boring looking skill trees. There is just no comparison to the W2 or even W1 for that matter, skill trees. The leveling system is primarily there a a gate to better gear, I also hate the fact swords and armor are level locked.

The terrible looking armors.

That's all for now........

EDIT: Oh yes, and the godawful inventory.

Last edited:
my biggest gripe with the game is the fact that so little of the choices we made in the past games had influenced W3, imo its quite the spectacular big miss of this game.

before anyone wants to pogrom me for writing the above sentence, i know that not every choice and decision we made could be taken into account, but they could have surely made it on a larger scale than answering "5 questions" from whats his face the general before the audience with emhyr.

my biggest gripe with the game is the fact that so little of the choices we made in the past games had influenced W3, imo its quite the spectacular big miss of this game.

before anyone wants to pogrom me for writing the above sentence, i know that not every choice and decision we made could be taken into account, but they could have surely made it on a larger scale than answering "5 questions" from whats his face the general before the audience with emhyr.

The game feel like it was made for newcomer to be honest and not those of the series. In a way CDPR did betray it die-hard fan and like all other developer took the more open casual approach. Can't say I blame them but it is also what it is. A lot of people here agree with you and so do I.

The game feel like it was made for newcomer to be honest and not those of the series. In a way CDPR did betray it die-hard fan and like all other developer took the more open casual approach. Can't say I blame them but it is also what it is. A lot of people here agree with you and so do I.

Yeah TW3 is a really bad sequel and final chapter of the Trilogy
Its more like a good standalone game that pretends the previous two games don't exist

You asked me what I was most disappointed in with Witcher 3. I told you. I am most disappointed in the community and i provided elaboration as to why. If you don't want to hear the answer to a question don't ask. Yet another reason why gamers make the gaming experience poorer.

And I'm disappointed in fanboys who defend the game blindly and bitch about "complainers" who try to get the game improved. Don't like what you see in the community? You can kindly bugger off. If the community made your gaming experience in a fucking single player game feel poorer then perhaps you weren't actually having as much fun as you were deluding yourself and the "complainers" just bursted that bubble.

TW3 has a weak story especially compared to the earlier games.

The controls are extremely awkward. The enemies are boring.

The Levels system is nothing but a content gate.

What you did in TW2 mattered nothing in TW3 (I ran a Marathon in TW2 to get the savegame that I wanted so I'm rightlfully pissed).

The "open world" is just mostly a backdrop.

The AI is pitiful.

What you do in the game in the game itself hardly affect the world. The only instance it actually affects the world is
The village gets slaughtered if you help the tree ghost
. Outside of that instance, nothing, absolutely nothing. After you killed
Radovid
, everyone just act like nothing happened.

And I'm disappointed in fanboys who defend the game blindly and bitch about "complainers" who try to get the game improved. Don't like what you see in the community? You can kindly bugger off. If the community made your gaming experience in a fucking single player game feel poorer then perhaps you weren't actually having as much fun as you were deluding yourself and the "complainers" just bursted that bubble.

TW3 has a weak story especially compared to the earlier games.

The controls are extremely awkward. The enemies are boring.

The Levels system is nothing but a content gate.

What you did in TW2 mattered nothing in TW3 (I ran a Marathon in TW2 to get the savegame that I wanted so I'm rightlfully pissed).

The "open world" is just mostly a backdrop.

The AI is pitiful.

What you do in the game in the game itself hardly affect the world. The only instance it actually affects the world is
The village gets slaughtered if you help the tree ghost
. Outside of that instance, nothing, absolutely nothing. After you killed
Radovid
, everyone just act like nothing happened.

Who is defending it blindly?
Is Witcher 3 flawed? Sure all games have them but it is worth the money I paid for it because I am enjoying my SUBJECTIVE experience. I can't speak for anyone else if they enjoyed the game. But so far the biggest disappointment I have experienced related to the game has been gamers.

This isn't blind defence this is me stating that the game is flawed but I got my moneys worth. I then in the next statement make it clear that I am not speaking for anyone else. I neither tried to negate anyone else's experience nor tried to portray my view as superior. I simply stated that the most disappointing aspect of the game was the community for me. I'm sorry if my opinion impacts on your self worth. It really shouldn't but clearly it is. I do however thank you for illustrating yet again why I feel disappoint in the community. And if you think it is the flaws you listed then you are gravely mistaken. You'll note I haven't countered any person's opinion of the game trying to state no you are wrong to have experience this, because I don't think subjective experiences are right or wrong. So it is perfectly valid to have them but some how my perfectly valid opinion is wrong because I don't share your opinion? pffft

But again thank you for illustrating why I am disappointed in the community its far easier to express oneself when you are given a prime example to reference.

As the thread original poster, I respect your opinion mate. However there is a reason why I label this thread with the title "disappointment" instead of "improvement". As a veteran of gaming forum in general and more recently Riots and League of Legends, I have learn that thread like these often are the pinnacle of improvement. These threads alert the devs with a red flag to read more often then "improvement" thread.

Here is my quote: "Only with disappointment will there be improvement".

If you are content with what you have, then things just aren't going to be improve. There is no reason for it to be improve. Take real life for example, if your not disappointed with certain decision you made in real life, chances are your not going to work hard to improve it.

I see, that's true. I suppose things will be corrected in patches, but like I said, a lot of the things here I feel I can't read as they seem to get spoilery, and I haven't come close to finishing yet, I am still running around Novigrad. I have heard arguments (not on this game, but like in Mass Effect) that you have to finish before you decide if you love it because of how it ended, but ultimately I don't feel I can criticize narrative choices. It is their story, and I love it so far. Gameplay and mechanics wise I love it. Do I want a storage chest? Sure. I bet we'll get one too.

I also think they're going to improve the graphics but I don't think they need to. I think the game is amazing to look at. I think CDPR is the kind of company who is always seeking to change and improve, you only need to look at the first game to this one.

But you're right, looking back at your post, you didn't come at it negatively. I painted it with my point of view after reading some other posts (after months of hearing complaints about downgrading the graphics), and I'm not sure why. I guess I felt like it's been out a week, we shouldn't be nitpicking, but then if people are suffering from bugs that is legitimate--and those things should be fixed.

I think the most disappointing thing about games are GAMERS. Games would be so much better if there were no gamers, but then we'd have no games, so we have to put up with Unreasonable expectation syndrome from gamers. Gamers are without a doubt the worse customers of any product. They think any conversation with the development team pre release is a contractual guarantee of what is in the game instead of a snap shot of where development is at this very moment with no guarantee that anything seen will be in the final product. Even when they are told this they still feel lied to when the finished product isn't exactly like what they saw during development. You don't see car enthusiasts converging on car companies with torches and pitchforks when the factory model of a car isn't exactly like the prototype. You know why? because they are not immature and self entitled.
I hope you are not talking about any of the discussion in this thread in particular because people have the right to express their disappointment without claiming to have unpaid debts from the Witcher. Who here is lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks? Critiquing and admitting disappointment for a game is not the same as attacking those who made it or having a feeling of entitlement. It is the byproduct of expectations. The game will certainly not meet expectations of some fans. You don't see the sane ones like on this thread DEMAND that CDPR fixes it or sinks time into creating a game specifically for them because that is as you say juvenile and immature nonsense. You are right, all the people in this forum demanding that CDPR reworks the entire romance subplot, or adds in all this political intrigue crap ARE entitled brats because they for some reason think they can claim ownership over a product. That being said, that is a far cry from complaining about a game that doesn't meet your expectations. Are most gamers brats? Of course because the video game industry is catered to children. But that doesn't mean we can sweep legitimate criticism aside as if those are just whiny babies who think the developers owe them something. Consumers in the video game industry DO suck. On occasion so do the games.

Moderator - Why is this move out of general discussion? Please move it back or offer an explanation. Nothing in this thread other than the romance replies belong in this subtopic.

Thanks

I hope you are not talking about any of the discussion in this thread in particular because people have the right to express their disappointment without claiming to have unpaid debts from the Witcher. Who here is lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks? Critiquing and admitting disappointment for a game is not the same as attacking those who made it or having a feeling of entitlement. It is the byproduct of expectations. The game will certainly not meet expectations of some fans. You don't see the sane ones like on this thread DEMAND that CDPR fixes it or sinks time into creating a game specifically for them because that is as you say juvenile and immature nonsense. You are right, all the people in this forum demanding that CDPR reworks the entire romance subplot, or adds in all this political intrigue crap ARE entitled brats because they for some reason think they can claim ownership over a product. That being said, that is a far cry from complaining about a game that doesn't meet your expectations. Are most gamers brats? Of course because the video game industry is catered to children. But that doesn't mean we can sweep legitimate criticism aside as if those are just whiny babies who think the developers owe them something. Consumers in the video game industry DO suck. On occasion so do the games.

Did i quote anyone with regards to that statement? nope. I haven't tried to nullify anyone's opinion and you didn't full quote me because in the next paragraph of my statement I say the Witcher 3 is flawed.

Is Witcher 3 flawed? Sure all games have them but it is worth the money I paid for it because I am enjoying my SUBJECTIVE experience. I can't speak for anyone else if they enjoyed the game. But so far the biggest disappointment I have experienced related to the game has been gamers.

I only ever claim to be speaking for myself and never try to present my opinion as anything other then my own subjective view. But somehow because I don't think the community is unicorns and rainbows I'm a fanboy, blindly defending CDPR (even though I clearly stated the game is flawed but hey the community isn't known for being able to handle divergent points in the same post so what can i expect?) or disruptive. I made my opinion known and have only responded to people who have responded to my post. I haven't tried to counter anyone else's disappointments in this thread, I just stated my own.

Does this sound like i was coming after people in this thread?

Who is defending it blindly?

This isn't blind defence this is me stating that the game is flawed but I got my moneys worth. I then in the next statement make it clear that I am not speaking for anyone else. I neither tried to negate anyone else's experience nor tried to portray my view as superior. I simply stated that the most disappointing aspect of the game was the community for me. I'm sorry if my opinion impacts on your self worth. It really shouldn't but clearly it is. I do however thank you for illustrating yet again why I feel disappoint in the community. And if you think it is the flaws you listed then you are gravely mistaken. You'll note I haven't countered any person's opinion of the game trying to state no you are wrong to have experience this, because I don't think subjective experiences are right or wrong. So it is perfectly valid to have them but some how my perfectly valid opinion is wrong because I don't share your opinion? pffft

But again thank you for illustrating why I am disappointed in the community its far easier to express oneself when you are given a prime example to reference.

Mate I get where your coming from and I respect your opinion even if I wholeheartedly disagree however let me ask you this question?

Your problem with this community applies to every gaming community out there. What your basically saying (I hope i'm not adding word to your mouth) is that gamers just plain suck cause all we do is explain, and if that is the case, then I agree with you. There hasn't been any game I like that I have not complain about. Key word is here I like the game. If I dislike the game I bought, I wouldn't be spending time on forum complaining and wanting it to be better.

For example. Batman Arkham City is a decent game but after I was done with it I didn't care enough to voice my opinion on the game or what I felt was lacking. As for Witcher 3, I been waiting for this game since I first heard about it, same with Phantom Pain as well so I'm heavily invested in this game. Same can be said for a lot of people with Arkham Knight except I'm not a huge fan of Batman and without a day/night cycle and active civilians it just feel empty and void of life.

I know I went off-topic but hopefully you get my point.

Top Bottom