What disappointed you about this game?

+
Just to add to what Chri2Kng said:

Games like these evoke emotionally charged discussions that often push objectivity aside, making discussion pretty difficult or heated. Couple that with the fact that people tend to write about things that bother them, as opposed to showing up to give praise. I don't want to say it's ungrateful behaviour, but it certainly can seem like that when emotional posting makes the tone of posts more aggressive than it should be. I get what you're saying, Gothfather, but I'm fairly certain that just about everyone posting here is doing it because they enjoyed the game enough to care.

Just take things with a grain of salt, realize people wont always be objective because they are pushing for something they'd like to see to enjoy the game even more.

Just the way it is. Poor devs for having to trudge through gaming forums is all I can say. :p

Just to add to what Chri2Kng said:

Games like these evoke emotionally charged discussions that often push objectivity aside, making discussion pretty difficult or heated. Couple that with the fact that people tend to write about things that bother them, as opposed to showing up to give praise. I don't want to say it's ungrateful behaviour, but it certainly can seem like that when emotional posting makes the tone of posts more aggressive than it should be. I get what you're saying, Gothfather, but I'm fairly certain that just about everyone posting here is doing it because they enjoyed the game enough to care.

Just take things with a grain of salt, realize people wont always be objective because they are pushing for something they'd like to see to enjoy the game even more.

Just the way it is. Poor devs for having to trudge through gaming forums is all I can say. :p
I actually find the opposite to be the case. Certainly emotions run high when people are invested in a franchise such as the Witcher, but with this game and most other video games, people (mostly the young crowd which is targeted by the industry) become very emotionally invested in a game and then refuse to believe that it could be anything except perfect and blindly champion this ideal and claim their favourite game is beyond reproach and that those who criticize are attackers and unreasonable whiners. Emotion fuels the fanboy more than the hater as no one who truly and completely hates the game wastes their time discussing it. They say their piece and move on. This is a problem whenever people try to critique a game in a community forum. The fans of the game get way too irrationally defensive and there can't be a good discussion on what worked in the game and what did not.

That's true, yeah. It's one of the most frustrating things when you can't have a discussion and forums can easily become mired in that muck like you describe. I haven't seen that problem here yet though. However, I've only read a few threads.

The Bioware, Mass Effect 3 type endfail. Of course the three ending are all much better than ME3, but to place you in the world before the ending happened at all with no friends is an oversight on CDPR end. This could quickly turn bad if the fans are ignored.

Originally Posted by Chri2Kng View Post
The game feel like it was made for newcomer to be honest and not those of the series. In a way CDPR did betray it die-hard fan and like all other developer took the more open casual approach. Can't say I blame them but it is also what it is. A lot of people here agree with you and so do I.
Yeah TW3 is a really bad sequel and final chapter of the Trilogy
Its more like a good standalone game that pretends the previous two games don't exist

Sadly, i agree...

The Bioware, Mass Effect 3 type endfail. Of course the three ending are all much better than ME3, but to place you in the world before the ending happened at all with no friends is an oversight on CDPR end. This could quickly turn bad if the fans are ignored.

In truth it seems there's no point in romancing Yen/Triss or saving Ciri, you're going to be forever alone regardless.

I think this forum generally makes for civil discussion. There's a few bad apples, but most people seem to remain civil (or at least try their best at it). It seems that most people critiquing TW3 still enjoy it more than just about anything else out there. I'm not sure if I rate it higher than TW2 yet. I haven't really sorted out my thoughts, but it's the conversation. And prior to TW3, TW2 was my favorite RPG so either way it's a top 2 RPG in my book.

I think a thread discussing disappointments is positive for CDPR, and I think they are mature enough to take it all with a grain of salt. I'm glad I supported them with my two pre-orders (one for me, one for my brother) when those opened up. But the game was certainly not all I expected it to be. CDPR has a great track record of listening to what fans want, and I think over the next several months they will resolve a lot of complaints that don't fundamentally change the game.

For example, some people don't like the switch from a gray to black/white story. That's a large basis for the plot they wanted to tell, and while people may prefer gray because it is done well so exceedingly rare, black/white fits the father/daughter tale of TW3 quite well. Then there are the noted combat improvements such as increasing movesets for enemies. That's quite a large balance undertaking that would touch on many quests, the main story, the overall intended speed of play, and even Geralt's ability to feel like the badass witcher he is. It fundamentally changes the game.

On the other hand, Triss could easily be included in more scenes without affecting the story. More dialogue, quests, etc. could be added to acknowledge past game decisions. End game scenes or character locations could be added to enhance the overall closure at the end TW3. A new increased difficulty mode that applies new multipliers to all enemies could be added. All of these are content changes that don't fundamentally change the game.

CDPR has shown they're willingness to improve their games, and I really do think that a lot of people's disappointments will be resolved in due time. Maybe not to the extent that would please everyone, but then you can't please them all.

I think this forum generally makes for civil discussion. There's a few bad apples, but most people seem to remain civil (or at least try their best at it). It seems that most people critiquing TW3 still enjoy it more than just about anything else out there. I'm not sure if I rate it higher than TW2 yet. I haven't really sorted out my thoughts, but it's the conversation. And prior to TW3, TW2 was my favorite RPG so either way it's a top 2 RPG in my book.

I think a thread discussing disappointments is positive for CDPR, and I think they are mature enough to take it all with a grain of salt. I'm glad I supported them with my two pre-orders (one for me, one for my brother) when those opened up. But the game was certainly not all I expected it to be. CDPR has a great track record of listening to what fans want, and I think over the next several months they will resolve a lot of complaints that don't fundamentally change the game.

For example, some people don't like the switch from a gray to black/white story. That's a large basis for the plot they wanted to tell, and while people may prefer gray because it is done well so exceedingly rare, black/white fits the father/daughter tale of TW3 quite well. Then there are the noted combat improvements such as increasing movesets for enemies. That's quite a large balance undertaking that would touch on many quests, the main story, the overall intended speed of play, and even Geralt's ability to feel like the badass witcher he is. It fundamentally changes the game.

On the other hand, Triss could easily be included in more scenes without affecting the story. More dialogue, quests, etc. could be added to acknowledge past game decisions. End game scenes or character locations could be added to enhance the overall closure at the end TW3. A new increased difficulty mode that applies new multipliers to all enemies could be added. All of these are content changes that don't fundamentally change the game.

CDPR has shown they're willingness to improve their games, and I really do think that a lot of people's disappointments will be resolved in due time. Maybe not to the extent that would please everyone, but then you can't please them all.

I don't like how the game took nothing from the past two games and instead focus on the books instead. Which is why I said what I did about how it felt for newcomer. I was half wrong. I am half right that Witcher 3 completely ignore the previous two games and thus make fan of the witcher who have not read the books confuse.

I don't like how the game took nothing from the past two games and instead focus on the books instead. Which is why I said what I did about how it felt for newcomer. I was half wrong. I am half right that Witcher 3 completely ignore the previous two games and thus make fan of the witcher who have not read the books confuse.

I'm a newcomer and would rather play the other games for the backstory than read the books even if I don't have the right console.

1. I liked the skill tree in TW2 more than the one in TW3. I had hoped they would have just tweaked it more a bit.
2. more Gwent. Gwent MEGA TOURNAMENT in Novigrad!!!
3. Post-End consequences. Most can be found here: [!!!SPOILERS WARNING!!!] http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/39674-Mega-SPOILERS-Immersion-Destroyer Loose ends on how certain characters ended up. I would have like to know what happened to them even if it's just in a form of a book or note.
4. more Kaer Morhen
5. Yen or Triss? Why not both with a good end? XD
6. Love scenes were....meh...just skip them.
7. would have like to tell emhyr to go plough the new horse and keep my chestnut one.

have some more but most are just preferences and doesn't affect the overall quality of the game.

Loved the game BUT I had a BIG problem with:
- the Ending: seeing how it was said to be the last part of Geralt's saga, it fell awfully short in providing the proper closure for this character we've all invested a lot in. Felt like most of the story got hijacked by Ciri...I wouldn't have minded this one bit if Geralt would have gotten a proper closure not just a rushed mention in a slide (whether he's with Yen, Triss or alone)...even these could have been a bit elaborated like in a cutscene you know...Geralt waking up from bed on day, going downstairs to see *insert romantic interest here* taking a bath or baking cakes etc, or instead meeting up at Dandelion;s place in Novigrad ..which could have been a place to keep your friends after the whole main story ends, or Kaer Morhen..am sure people can find loads of interesting suggestions.
- The WILD HUNT felt like 2D characters. I would have wanted to get MORE stuff on them, cutscenes, discussions between Geralt and Yennefer about what the Hunt did to each of them whilst they were captive...Geralt rode with the Hunt but NOTHING specific is mentioned...would have been cool to find out what he did then, where he went and to what horrors Eredin subjected him to..that would have built upon Eredin's character which I felt was HORRIBLY overlooked...
- same goes for Yennefer..aside from being bitchy to you through most of the game, it would have been great if there was a bit more to Geralt & Yennefer's relationship in the game..now I know people will pour down on me to read the books but maybe I'm sick of reading books..just wanted to play a grand RPG and truly feel connected to Geralt's true soul mate which he so desperately tries to get reunited with. The Djin quest was a nice touch but I can't help but feel that their whole bond could have been a bit more elaborated considering their recent struggles, their abduction by the Wild Hunt and Geralt's sacrificing himself for Yennefer, riding off with Eredin.
- Anais, Saskia, Iorveth....these were all crucial characters which were the subject of major story turns in W2..they just got totally ignored in W3..it would have been great even if you got like a 1 minute cutscene or something to enlighten us on their fates..Take Sile for example, if you let her live in W2, you eventually get to see what becomes of her in W3 even though it's just a 1 minute cutscene but i felt it was very rewarding.

So...yeah....we were told that this was the last part of Geralt's saga and CDPR decided to close of Geralt's story with a bang...so far I haven't seen where said bang was...I feel that in trying to squeeze Ciri in as a follow up on the Witcher game series, Geralt got left aside...a damn shame.

Last edited:
My only disappointment is the emptiness in the playable epilogue. I would very much like Vizima explorable and quests to take place in a timeline after the main quest. Only the future DLC's will tell.

Skellige was a bit too Skyrim.

The plot with Queen Bran was too obvious.

Too little Triss content.

Too much Yennefer content.

Radovid's portrayal

No option to express your undying hatred of Phillipa.

I loved the game in itself, but felt it was a poor sequel to the previous games. I also thought it had one of the worst villans CD project has ever produced. The king of the wild hunt barely even says anything, he is just portrayed as being "evil".

I loved the game in itself, but felt it was a poor sequel to the previous games. I also thought it had one of the worst villans CD project has ever produced. The king of the wild hunt barely even says anything, he is just portrayed as being "evil".

Yeah I was shocked at how terrible the Wild Hunt was portrayed
I expected a lot more instead we got the most cliche evil guys in a long time

The story was just too black and white

No Iorveth,Saskia,Yarpen,Francesca,Visenna,Nenneke and Villentrentenmerth

Barely any screentime for Dandelion,Margarita Laux-Antille and Fringilla Vigo

Some silly retcons

Lack of closure for the characters,besides Geralt and Ciri

Yeah I was shocked at how terrible the Wild Hunt was portrayed
I expected a lot more instead we got the most cliche evil guys in a long time

The story was just too black and white

I know, there was the threat to the Aen Elle world by the white frost I suppose, and Eredin being afraid of his own demise. But its not fleshed out enough.

- Radovid's portrayal
- The war just being background noise that Geralt doesn't take part in, aside from one small skirmish(where you save a certain lass from the previous game) and very indirectly in the assassination sidequest(it being a mere sidequest is pretty WTF too).
- Factions and elements from the previous game either completely nonexistent or barely present, such as the Order of the Flaming Rose,Scoia'tael, Upper Aedirn, Saskia and Iorveth.
- Bad implementation of imports aside from the tattoo and Letho(which ties into the above).

My main disappointement with this game is the relationship between Ciri and Geralt (or Ciri and Yennefer). When the Geralt/Yennefer relationship were incredible (it was just like in the books, which is great), the father/daughter relationship is for me a big, a huge disappointment. The most one I had in the whole The Witcher games. :' (

The subject is never really deepen. When I said to Avallac'h "She's like her father.", I did not mean to say she was like Emhyr, like the game force me to do. I wanted to say she was like me, Geralt! For me, this line shows perfectly the lack of work on this theme during the game. Although it could have been a really good theme for the game, with Emhyr keeping to ask Geralt after his "daughter". For me, he was never his father, and I was really frustrated the game never pointed that fact. Not once (well, with my choices).

And the relationship between Geralt and Ciri, and Yennefer and Ciri, is not deep enough. Geralt never say to Ciri she's his daughter. Ciri never call Geralt "Dad" or "father" (she did in the books! I know she's an adult now, but that don't change the fact she could call him "father", and Yennefer "mother", at least during critical moments, where emotions are strong enough to spread!). It can seems like details, but these rare moments were so beautiful in the books, to see Ciri finally admit Geralt and Yennefer were just her parents. And nothing of that in the game, when it could have been so great (and so much rarer in a game than in a book to have such scenes).

Another mistake : the big ellipsis during the first met with Ciri. First of all, I was sad to not have voice-acting during the scene where Geralt finds Ciri's body. The scene was beautiful, but I'm sure it could have been a marvelous, stuning scene with the cries of Geralt then Ciri. And after that, why the devs did an ellipsis? Can't understand that narrative choice. : (
I mean, after all this time, Geralt finds Ciri, his daughter, the most precious person of his life with Yennefer. And for the player who read the book, it was a scene really expected, for a really long time. So, why cut the scene? Why did the devs not let us hear the first words they had to exchange? Why did they have to skip the reunion? One of the worst mistake of the whole saga in my opinion. :/ (Probably not so hard for people who didn't read the books, but in my opinion it could have been so much better for everyone.)

I was disappointed too by the reunion between Yennefer and Ciri. Not really a "child/mother" reunion after so much years of separation. Not a scene when we can see she could do everything for Ciri, like Geralt do. : ( And, well, not enough scenes to showing these kind of relationships between the three of them.

I was so sad to not see all these things in the game. It's so rare to have a videogame character to have a family. And this aspect is not enough good for me. They were still great scenes (the first one with Ciri as a child, the snowball battle, and some others), but I have the strong feeling the game could really benefit, in a maybe enhanced edition, to add some dialogues and scenes between Ciri and her "father" and "mother"!

Except that, my main disappointment (on the narrative way) were about the wild hunt, like some people already said (some wraithes of the subquests have more dialogues and deep than the wild hunt, it's sad to think about that), and the way the ladies of the wood were just killed by Ciri (the three ladies were incredible, and I thought about them like twisted goddesses, not like some witches who can be killed so easily like if they were some random monsters). It ruined the characters who were so perfectly shaped until then, sadly. : (

On the other hand, the baron quest was probably the best thing I ever saw in a videogame. Can't believe how astonishing it was. :°)

My main disappointement with this game is the relationship between Ciri and Geralt (or Ciri and Yennefer). When the Geralt/Yennefer relationship were incredible (it was just like in the books, which is great), the father/daughter relationship is for me a big, a huge disappointment. The most one I had in the whole The Witcher games. :' (

The subject is never really deepen. When I said to Avallac'h "She's like her father.", I did not mean to say she was like Emhyr, like the game force me to do. I wanted to say she was like me, Geralt! For me, this line shows perfectly the lack of work on this theme during the game. Although it could have been a really good theme for the game, with Emhyr keeping to ask Geralt after his "daughter". For me, he was never his father, and I was really frustrated the game never pointed that fact. Not once (well, with my choices).

And the relationship between Geralt and Ciri, and Yennefer and Ciri, is not deep enough. Geralt never say to Ciri she's his daughter. Ciri never call Geralt "Dad" or "father" (she did in the books! I know she's an adult now, but that don't change the fact she could call him "father", and Yennefer "mother", at least during critical moments, where emotions are strong enough to spread!). It can seems like details, but these rare moments were so beautiful in the books, to see Ciri finally admit Geralt and Yennefer were just her parents. And nothing of that in the game, when it could have been so great (and so much rarer in a game than in a book to have such scenes).

Another mistake : the big ellipsis during the first met with Ciri. First of all, I was sad to not have voice-acting during the scene where Geralt finds Ciri's body. The scene was beautiful, but I'm sure it could have been a marvelous, stuning scene with the cries of Geralt then Ciri. And after that, why the devs did an ellipsis? Can't understand that narrative choice. : (
I mean, after all this time, Geralt finds Ciri, his daughter, the most precious person of his life with Yennefer. And for the player who read the book, it was a scene really expected, for a really long time. So, why cut the scene? Why did the devs not let us hear the first words they had to exchange? Why did they have to skip the reunion? One of the worst mistake of the whole saga in my opinion. :/ (Probably not so hard for people who didn't read the books, but in my opinion it could have been so much better for everyone.)

Golden rule of storytelling. If you have to make your character blatantly state his/her feelings, you haven't developed the character well. Geralt is not meant to be sentimental. The reunion on the isle of mist is the most tasteful part of the game because it is tremendously understated. I could decompose the hell out of that scene. Geralt turning his head tells you much more than hearing him scream. Also, Geralt is NOT an expressive character. You see this in Geralt's reunion with Ciri in the novels. Ciri becomes incredibly emotional but Geralt is very curt. But not for a second do you doubt that he is bursting with happiness to see her. If Ciri has to explicitly state that she views Geralt as a father figure, then the relationship clearly hasn't been bought. Far better to mention it once, and let the story make you believe it . Show instead of tell. This scene was one of the few parts of the game I thought was executed correctly. No one needs over-the-top sentimental cry-parties we see in Japanese RPGs. The subtle and graceful approach is the best approach.

Top Bottom