What disappointed you about this game?

+
I am not really feeling like making a list so i'll just point out one thing that just came to mind again.

The ending part were Eredin told Geralt Avallac'h betrayed/tricked them both. I was disappointed by the fact that in the end he didn't betray Ciri, I mean I really liked the sudden plot twist and then....meh nuthing special.

I still have the feeling that CDPR wasn't sure about this possible "Plot twist", i think they worked on a version where Avallach betray's Ciri and Geralt, but in the End they didn't implemented it into the game.

I mean it would have made sense for me at least...

I still have the feeling that CDPR wasn't sure about this possible "Plot twist", i think they worked on a version where Avallach betray's Ciri and Geralt, but in the End they didn't implemented it into the game.

I mean it would have made sense for me at least...

It would have been so good to finally give Umallac'h a big punch in his face, and was disappointed I didn't get the chance in the end, oh well.

Guest 3847602

For the most part I got over my biggest disappointments about the game (that still doesn't mean I wouldn't have been extremely grateful if some of these issues were addressed in some manner):
- Eredin & Co.
- White Fart Frost
- Ciri's inverted IFF regarding Yennefer and Avallac'h
- F R E E E N G I L L A !
- politics
Enough time had passed and I've completed enough playthroughs to get to the point where I could just roll my eyes when problematic bits occur and move past it to enjoy the rest of the game. The two expansions also helped a lot. :D

Guest 3847602

I dunno, I always thought Uma was kind of a smug jerk honestly. Always giving Geralt the stink eye and shrugging off Geralt's attempts to make conversation about universals. Would it kill you to carry the conversation a little Uma? Geeze!

Never saw this thread before. I think TW3 is fantastic as an action/adventure game with RP elements, but lacking as a proper RPG. The general writing is a bit shallower than in the other games, even though some particular quests are still memorable. What disappointed me the most was the character sheet and the game mechanics: everything revolved around combat, and the only (or very few) non-combats talents required combat slots. How am I supposed to know i need to "equip" my Axii upgrade for the next conversation, in order to use the Axii charm which should come natural to Geralt?. Also the very, very few dialogue options. Often there were a mere 2, which of course didn't represent what I actually wanted to say so I had to compromise. It just didn't feel like I was playing Geralt. There are other design "issues", like how loot oriented the game became.

Can't complain though, loved my PC collectors edition and I loved the game. CDPR *did* say it would be a "crowning achievement of the RPG genre".. but NO. It is an amazing game, probably the new measuring stick for games of this kind . I will be playing this throughout the next decade. But it didn't scratch my RPG itch. I could see that coming since TW2 though.

Constructive criticism is a good thing. I wonder what kind of game CP2077 will be...

Last edited:
How am I supposed to know i need to "equip" my Axii upgrade for the next conversation, in order to use the Axii charm Geralt mastered in TW2?
Ay, that's a minor point which has also bothered me from time to time. I rather liked the subtler Axii charm to this 'Jedi mind trick' hand gesture.

Last edited:
Let me compile all the disappointments I vented in other threads and just put them here.

1-The last act being underwhelming in general and pulling off a deus ex machina and dealing with it with a nonsensical "Ciri is the chosen one all along!" instead of having Avallac'h actually betraying her so the decision of Ge'els of betraying Eredin when it means his people are doomed because of it would make sense.

2- Eredin and the Wild Hunt, the main nemesis of Geralt and Ciri, being criminally underdeveloped.

3- The game doesn't criticize your actions as much as in the previous games, whatever Geralt chooses the game mostly would not mind, even Ciri does not mind if he chooses Triss over Yennefer.

4- Too few pure Yen/Ciri moments, as Ciri was closer to Yennefer than Geralt himself in the books.

5- Ciri being way too diluted when compared to her book-self.

6- Oversimplified politics from a complex situation to a "Mad Rad Redania burning mages and nonhumans" vs "Lesser Evil Nilfgaard" conflict.

7- Most amount of pure Black and White morality in the series, the church of the Eternal Fire with the exception of ONE witch hunter (who is the commander of the baron's daughter) were all psychopathic and sadists.

8- Lack of actual puzzles in the game when compared to Witcher 2's puzzles.

9- The Points of Interest and loot were mostly forgettable and the time spent into them should have been used in the last act of the main story instead.

10- I hate to say it, but the writing in Witcher 3 is worse than the writing in Witcher 2 by a big margin in my opinion.

11- The focus on the romances, I don't mind having "muh waifus" in videogames, but not when they start potentially taking away from the main story at hand, even Hearts of Stone suffered from this.

We will see what they will do in the Gwent campaigns and the Cyberpunk series, but I feel their priorities changed drastically during the development of Witcher 3, Open World game design although great in giving players freedom does indeed ruin the storytelling potential, even if you worked hard, some parts will be affected by it no matter what, and we saw that first hand in the main story of Witcher 3 itself.

Let me compile all the disappointments I vented in other threads and just put them here.

1-The last act being underwhelming in general and pulling off a deus ex machina and dealing with it with a nonsensical "Ciri is the chosen one all along!" instead of having Avallac'h actually betraying her so the decision of Ge'els of betraying Eredin when it means his people are doomed because of it would make sense.

2- Eredin and the Wild Hunt, the main nemesis of Geralt and Ciri, being criminally underdeveloped.

3- The game doesn't criticize your actions as much as in the previous games, whatever Geralt chooses the game mostly would not mind, even Ciri does not mind if he chooses Triss over Yennefer.

4- Too few pure Yen/Ciri moments, as Ciri was closer to Yennefer than Geralt himself in the books.

5- Ciri being way too diluted when compared to her book-self.

6- Oversimplified politics from a complex situation to a "Mad Rad Redania burning mages and nonhumans" vs "Lesser Evil Nilfgaard" conflict.

7- Most amount of pure Black and White morality in the series, the church of the Eternal Fire with the exception of ONE witch hunter (who is the commander of the baron's daughter) were all psychopathic and sadists.

8- Lack of actual puzzles in the game when compared to Witcher 2's puzzles.

9- The Points of Interest and loot were mostly forgettable and the time spent into them should have been used in the last act of the main story instead.

10- I hate to say it, but the writing in Witcher 3 is worse than the writing in Witcher 2 by a big margin in my opinion.

11- The focus on the romances, I don't mind having "muh waifus" in videogames, but not when they start potentially taking away from the main story at hand, even Hearts of Stone suffered from this.

We will see what they will do in the Gwent campaigns and the Cyberpunk series, but I feel their priorities changed drastically during the development of Witcher 3, Open World game design although great in giving players freedom does indeed ruin the storytelling potential, even if you worked hard, some parts will be affected by it no matter what, and we saw that first hand in the main story of Witcher 3 itself.

We mix your list and mine, and I think we have it all

So after going through some Threads/Posts and so on...

...i came to the conclusion that most people agree with the bad storytelling that is starting when you finally find Ciri and the plot holes in the Witcher 3 generally.

Am i right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom