What disappointed you about this game?

+
Geralt's and Roach's movement. I don't think I've noticed this a lot in the first 100 hours but as I play more and more I'm noticing Roach getting stuck on bridges and how difficult it is to move Geralt safely in tight places. It's because now I want to go places faster that I notice this more I think.

Graphics. I only watched one trailer from E3 fearing spoilers and the game looked different in actuality. Still it looks really good though.

There could be more variety to monsters I think. I've started watching a Witcher 1 playthrough a few days ago and I'm currently playing through B&W myself and I already had played W1 when it came out. I noticed some monsters aren't in Witcher 3. For example Graveirs and Cemetaurs aren't in this game so far. Not sure if B&W will introduce more yet. It seems to be a pretty big DLC. Maybe devs thought some monsters were too similar and decided to leave them out.

Another thing starting to bug me now is that my Silver Sword suddenly started breaking very often. I suspect Whirl has a hand in that though.

No W1 hair for Geralt when you have several styles and more released with the DLCs.

NukeTheMoon;n9192551 said:
The Bear, Cat, Gryphon and Wolf Witcher sets were impossible to collect without using a guide. Even if you knew that vendors in the world would sell the maps, the map itself didn't show all vendors, making it impossible to simply even search one-by-one.
I occasionally bought some maps from merchants and I just today got every sword and armor to master level. I didn't look up a guide but I do a lot of looting.

StormKorp;n3145312 said:
1) Exploration is nice but please limit it to smaller areas the size of White Orchard being nice for me
I disagree. I say this as a person who quit the game for a while when I entered Novigrad because I was overwhelmed. Until then I was trying to solve all the question marks on the map. After I returned to the game a couple weeks back, I started exploring between quest marks not going out of my way to explore things. It works out pretty well for me. I think bigger areas are better because when you finish your quest there is almost always something to do around the corner.

There could be a couple more male NPC voices and faces. The faces usually look too similar after a while. Also, the voices. Maybe, they shouldn't have hired someone with a very distinctive voice to voice the NPCs. I'm talking about the the guy who voiced the dunce in the Fool's Gold quest. Once you heard him you can recognize him anywhere. He is also the guy from Willows and some other male NPCs.

Last edited:
e-ahmet;n9198431 said:
Geralt's and Roach's movement. I don't think I've noticed this a lot in the first 100 hours but as I play more and more I'm noticing Roach getting stuck on bridges and how difficult it is to move Geralt safely in tight places. It's because now I want to go places faster that I notice this more I think.

I occasionally bought some maps from merchants and I just today got every sword and armor to master level. I didn't look up a guide but I do a lot of looting.

I absolutely agree with you about Geralts movement. It seems to me he was that designed that way for the sake of fluid animation.

However, I absolutely disagree with you about the Armor.
It is not possible to collect all the armor diagrams without having the maps. The boxes are there, but there's no loot icon on the box.
I figured this out the hard way, going to each of the 122 "?" icon on the map, looting everything until the icon for Cave, Guardian, or whatever, changed from white to dark grey, and later when I just "cheated" and googled the map location and did the Diagram Quests, I constantly was going back and looting places where I had already been.

NukeTheMoon;n9217741 said:
It is not possible to collect all the armor diagrams without having the maps. The boxes are there, but there's no loot icon on the box.
I figured this out the hard way, going to each of the 122 "?" icon on the map, looting everything until the icon for Cave, Guardian, or whatever, changed from white to dark grey, and later when I just "cheated" and googled the map location and did the Diagram Quests, I constantly was going back and looting places where I had already been.
If you happen upon the relavant medallion symbol on the walls of ruins/caves entrances and examine them, the scavenger quests update. Even if you don't have the relevant map and/or haven't started the scavenger quest, the quest starts as a new quest and lead you to other locations as well. Then, of course you need to thoroughly investigate the place because most of the diagrams are well hidden. I always turn on the Witcher sense when entering a new place and find the medallion symbol if there is one around. I have my witcher sense on always when exploring a new area. That helps with finding the chest.

e-ahmet;n9217951 said:
If you happen upon the relavant medallion symbol on the walls of ruins/caves entrances and examine them, the scavenger quests update. Even if you don't have the relevant map and/or haven't started the scavenger quest, the quest starts as a new quest and lead you to other locations as well. Then, of course you need to thoroughly investigate the place because most of the diagrams are well hidden. I always turn on the Witcher sense when entering a new place and find the medallion symbol if there is one around. I have my witcher sense on always when exploring a new area. That helps with finding the chest.

I'll conceded that point. However, I would say that most people found in necessary to look at online guides to find the Map locations to complete the quests.
Each time CDPR re-iterates something it's improved, like how terrible the "puzzles" were to figure out in TW2 versus TW3.

In TW3, treasure maps were scatted around the world, difficult to find. Not helped by the world map, to be honest.
In B&W, the game told you exactly where the maps were and pushed you to get them.

I believe this was because CDPR realized at some point people were missing out on the content because of how difficult it was to find the maps. So the next time they did a iteration of the Witcher Gear quests, they implemented it quite differently. And leaps and bound better.

I just wish they would have map all the maps, or at least, complete maps sets for Bear/Car/Griffin available at specific vendors.
Or simply put an exclamation mark above the head of a vendor with a treasure map.

I think what bugs me about little things like that in the game, is the game is so close to perfect seeing little thing throw it off coarse irritates me in a way that wouldn't happen if the game was bad to begin with.

Guest 3823474

No claim of complete list, just to give an indication what things bother me:
- Spoilers in game info texts for inconceivable reasons.
- Some unnecessary spoilers in quest descriptions.
- At times lazy quest writing. Especially noticed this in the B&W prison segment. Stuff like hiding escapee tools right in front of the guards after picking them up in the yard.
- Load screen cinematics conceiling finish of load process.
- Immersion-breaking effects like rain drops or sunlight-visible dirt on screen.
- Not having a UI-less screenshot function on game launch. (Massively loses value if only added much later and it's frustrating with such a screenshotworthy environment design. There should even have been a hotkey offered for taking a UI-less screenshot without having to turn UI off first.)
- Bad physics engine (immersion breaking) especially regarding jewelry people wear. ("My medallion is vibrating" - Although it is a wolf on a chain, I don't think it is meant to move like one.) - further amusing example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11DdAOaZBPc
- Graphics engine visuals flaws like sudden shadow or decal fadeouts, rasterized shadows, huge objects in the distance not rendering unless you come very close etc.

And various other essential things. Some maybe left for later due to time constraints, but statements like that they took user feedback to design improvements makes me suspect they just aren't good UI designers. I hear the previous two games were the same. Bad UI at first and then major rework.
Makes me cynically think: Everybody can be a game designer if you just take the expertise from the players. No need to be thoughtful. Comes all along the way. (Especially popular approach with Steam Early Access projects. "Survival sandbox" is almost a running gag by now. It's basically a more motivating and fun way to study game dev.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eldanon;n1866411 said:
1) I loved the intricate politics in TW2 so the lack of similar quality is a big let down for me.
2) I find the design of 95% of armors in TW2 horrific. It's especially puzzling after amazing armors in TW2.
3) I'm not a fan of pacing in the game. Absolutely as expected, an open world game would suffer from this which is why I was dubious about this lovely open world idea.
4) Don't care for the way alchemy is handled. Why are there ingredients EVERYWHERE when I really only need very few with the self-rebuilding alchemy items.
5) Not a fan of using potions in combat but if that's in, I'd like at least an animation that can be interrupted.
6) Most skills seem fairly useless, I don't feel much character building compared to TW1/TW2.
7) The quest design took a serious downgrade imho with glowing yellow circles leading you by the nose from point A to point B. I enjoyed NOT having directions in several quests in TW2 where you had to figure things out for yourself.

Overall... the only thing I DO like more in TW3 than TW2 is pretty gorgeous up-close character models in cut scenes. Just about everything else has been a let down. Now, I'm not saying it's not a great game, it is... it's just inferior in most ways to its predecessor in my eyes.

This so much!

I would like to add however, that i do like the added mobility and exploration(swiming, jumping, horse riding, sailing).

Chri2Kng;n1866428 said:
Fortunately this won't be an issue once the official mod kits is release, but it is a shame.

Never then? They droped the ball on proper Mod-Support. Red-Kit 2 is never coming.

Guest 3823474

Regarding quest hints, at least by now (or from the start?) the game offers options to turn them all off. What I find great is that you don't even need witcher senses. Stuff like footprints, while naturally very difficult to see, are there always, not just added once you use your witcher senses. So in theory you could investigate clues and solve mysteries without using them.

I kinda think I should go on a little tangent before going in to what I'll say on the game. I do have a rule I normally follow with game series, I typically start at the first and recommend others do so. I started with 2 in this case, and I made a poor choice of game to break my rule on. Prior to the release of The Witcher 3 I got around to playing the first Witcher game. I had it in my library on Steam a long time I just never got around to playing it before. So I played the first two games twice, and th third. I carried my playthrough where I sided with the Scoi'tael in the first and 2nd game on the PC version. I was hoping the Scoi'tael side of things were going to be more important. Meeting iorveth as an example.

Slide about a half inch on a minor hill and died, that's what I don't like about the Skyrim esque low friction moments. on the other hand I really enjoy sliding down the mountains and finding areas that are sort of half pipe-ish.

So far pretty happy with the game. It's nice to see the high level items and missions ahead of time.

Now, what do you dislike about this forum? Yes I'm new but that silly I'm not a robot reCAPTCHA... I mean it expires if you check it off before you start to type. If that doesn't say not a robot...

Guest 3823474

Jello-Shot;n9297631 said:
Now, what do you dislike about this forum? Yes I'm new but that silly I'm not a robot reCAPTCHA... I mean it expires if you check it off before you start to type. If that doesn't say not a robot...
reCaptcha is especially bad in my opinion. I don't know whether it still works, but with some captchas, if they caused me trouble, I would eventually give up and just confirm without entering anything and that worked. ... And these days some captchas are getting so difficult to read that I need to refresh a dozen times before I find one I can decypher.

Jello-Shot;n9297631 said:

Sorry about the trouble with that. There was a pretty bad spam problem some time ago and that's why the CAPTCHAs are here.

Combat animations, Geralt simply cant fight a sword with one hand but can move forward with the sword in one hand. Finally I found the mod which makes Geralt hold his sword in both hands while moving forwards/backwards. Also rend and strong attacks are ridiculous because they expose your body to enemy hits(which is primary mistake in fencing). But I guess witchers are super fast, so it could be. Lack of animations for either sword.

No group finishers like in W2. For example, finishers should have an impact on enemies. No human shields. You cant also push enemy onto enemy so they would get knocked.

Enemies level scalling, I know its a complete trash because it only increases enemies health and stamina. No more intelligent opponents, just skull-marked tanks. If you think this game is too hard, the only solution is to be more careful. Thats all. When you overcombine, you die. Just awareness is a key. Bear in mind that some bosses like Olgierd will be always marked with skull, even spawned with console. That's why we dealt low damage to him.

Iris Greatest Fear boss battle. Literally the most imbalanced fight ever, particularly if you are playing on higher difficulty and level scale on. LOL

Not being able to hunt down and kill the Weavess. I know you can do that with one ending but as it's considered a "bad" ending I think not many players will have that opportunity.
Maybe something like a quest at the end of Wild Hunt - Geralt & Ciri tracking down the Weavess, fighting thorugh a ton of monsters then finally confronting the Weavess herself. Then recovering
Vesemir's medallion

Hayashi.226;n9329381 said:
Not being able to hunt down and kill the Weavess.
Personally, I agree. To me, that always felt like a rather loose end, which we should have had the option to resolve.

Bringing Shani back when there is no possible ending for her and Geralt is a whole new level of cruelty, considering BaW is supposed to be the final chapter for Geralt.

Top Bottom