What do we know about the Blackwall?

+
"The Blackwall is a virtual wall that is said to keep free A.I.s from breaking through into the rest of the virtual world and wreaking havoc, possibly causing the end of the world along with it. To ensure this never happens, NetWatch works to keep others from destroying it. However, other groups, like the Voodoo Boys, believe the free A.I.s will help them conquer the virtual world and thus look for ways to destroy the Blackwall." - CP2077 wiki

What else do we know about the Blackwall? Do you think this could be a major part of the story?

I think it will most definitely be a major part and I guess it's connected to Johnny Silverhands "life" as virtual ghost and to his girlfriend Alt Cunningham, who – I am certain on this – lives as an AI behind that wall.
And I guess that whole "living as an AI"-theme will be connected to the immortality-chip everyone wants.

Aside that despite of it's name, it would appear to be red?

It is definitely a major part of the story, but beyond that and it's aforementioned unexpected redness, not much else is known.

It is established by NetWatch in the Time of Red, but we don't yet know much about that either, since Cyberpunk Red hasn't dropped yet.

VIRTUALLY THERE
It's not just Night City that we have to navigate in 2077, but the digital networks of Night City and the net itself. Netrunning is an interactive and immersive experience where you will “jack in” and run the Net. Night City is an omnipresent network, offering countless access terminals. Within them you will find layers of hidden systems, firewalls and security programs deployed to fry your brain. Missions will stack you against other hostile Netrunners who defend corporations both in cyberspace and the real world. Netrunning will mostly be accomplished in local networks around Night City, though V will also be able to access cyberspace, a rarely used and dangerous global network.

CYBERSPACE
In the original Cyberpunk 2020, Cyberspace was a place you could visit, where you could travel from one computer to the next on a massive, global network. In the year 2077, all that has changed. In the 2020s a number of malware and rogue AIs were released into Cyberspace, making it so dangerous that it was basically worthless for common use. That crisis was mitigated with the help of the Netwatch, a kind of Cyberspace police force. Rather than disabling the malware, the Netwatch cordoned off the area to keep people out with the Blackwall. The Blackwall is a major plot point in Cyberpunk 2077 will have players trying to break through that wall to find out what lives on the other side.

Given the new dangers of the net in 2077, only the bravest Netrunners immerse themselves in ice baths before connecting their personal links to Cyberspace itself by breaching the Blackwall. Cyberspace is harder to access in 2077 because CDPR and Mike Pondsmith wanted to force Netrunner V to be in the action. She can't sit back in a comfy chair with her keyboard and say 'go to the fifth level and open the door'. No, she has to go in there and be under risk. So most of the time, normal users and V only have access to a system of fractured local networks. One needs to find an access point to connect to the local network in order to hack different devices within the network. Once they breech a network though, they can disable weapons, make enemies' own cyberware betray them so they commit suicide, and find all kinds of things to mess around with in the world.

LOCAL NETRUNNING
Interaction with the digital world within Night City is important. Every company has their own systems that V can hack with seperate networks. Netrunning in local networks will be represented by a hacking minigame. It's a grid of hex code characters. For example, you'll see the value 1C, which you can easily paste. Then it could be 1C 55, so you have to add a 55 to open a door. The game world slows down for such actions, so you can hack something "safer". If you have expanded your hacking skills, the beginning of the code is automatically resolved. You may then throw yourself on the trickier part. If you do not like such riddles - then you just hack your base access and continue playing as normal.

Each player’s Cyberdeck will have a “buffer” and a finite number of “programs” that can be used at a moment’s notice. Options included things like “Camera log” as well as secured data caches. Players mix and match combinations while the clock ticks down, racing to match as many of the available options as possible before they’re discovered. That means, under most circumstances, there’s no way to hack the entire system. Instead, players must pick and choose what parts to crack. But you never know exactly what you’ll get; you’ll need to guess at what you might be unlocking every time you perform a hack. That leaves room for CD Projekt to embed interesting narrative elements or perhaps unintended, story-based consequences for even the most successful hacks.

With less skills you have limited access - you can open the door, but you can not deactivate any cameras or listen to the opposing communication network to determine your opponents' positions. Once successfully hacked, new options for interactions hover over objects in the game-world, each one represented as a contextual option on the in-game HUD. They allow you to cause distractions or set traps. These “quick hacks" let you instantly access certain systems, so you won’t always have to play the minigame. For instance in the E3 2018 Demo, V incapacitated and "jacked in" (directly connected via interface plug) to a Maelstrom ganger. When she did, she gained access to other members of the gang through their integrated digital personnel system. Through this, V gained the options to get access, reduce aim or disable cyberware of the other members of the gang.

You don't always need to be withing arms reach for direct access either. You can use nano-wire, which is not just a laser-whip, it's also a physical hacking cable she can throw at enemies at close range to jack into their brains, cooking them alive or causing them to attack themselves or their friends if you've purchased the right malicious software.

THE DANGERS OF THE NET
In the E3 2018 Demo the Maelstrom gang's netrunner had already been killed. Things can go differently if there is another runner in a network. In the E3 2019 Demo, there was another Netrunner trying to counter-hack into you, and that's no small thing. In Cyberpunk, hacking into people can quickly turn deadly. It turns out that this runner in the Demo was from Netwatch, a government cybersecurity group. If V got hacked successfully by the the Netwatch agent, they could disable her cyberware or even kill her if they so desire. Once the netrunner gained full access to V in the 2019 E3 Demo, a timer started where if V didn't act fast enough, she would get "fried." Game Over man.

Furthermore, V has to be careful who she trusts and joins networks with as far as allies are concerns. In the 2019 Demo, a netrunner named Placide wouldn't help V unless he could hack into her body to keep an eye on the mission. Later, Placide betrayed V, trying to incapacitate and install a deadly virus into all everyone (including V) connected to the network. In the demo, Placide's attempt to kill us failed, but not because of V's own decisions. Bottom line, the Net is a wierd, interesting, powerful and very dangerous place.

BRAINDANCING
Most people are still entranced by the glitz of showbiz and luxurious lifestyles of the privileged elite. Breakthroughs in neural technology paved the way for people to share recordings of their own personal memories and emotions via tech known as “braindance” (or BD). Some BD productions put actors in staged situations to create “false” memories, to give viewers the feeling that they’re living in an action film. Other BDs are simple recordings of a day in the life of the world’s biggest and brightest stars. The ability to “become” a celeb and experience a life of luxury gives many a chance to escape their own miserable reality. As a result, braindance addiction has become an ever-growing problem for the city’s poor. Also, as with all forms of entertainment media, illicit braindance recordings (XBDs) can be found easily in the seedy underbelly of Night City’s black market.

V can use these BD recordings to uncover hidden information. In analysis mode, V can look around within the memory to try and find hidden secrets. V can scrub back and forth through a memory, rewinding, pausing, and fast forwarding to analyze items and pick out details that might reveal the location of a wanted object. She can also switch between three different layers (visual, audio, and thermal) to hunt for clues.

I think it will most definitely be a major part and I guess it's connected to Johnny Silverhands "life" as virtual ghost and to his girlfriend Alt Cunningham, who – I am certain on this – lives as an AI behind that wall.
And I guess that whole "living as an AI"-theme will be connected to the immortality-chip everyone wants.
I am also certain that Alt is behind the Blackwall. But my conjecture is that she's 1 organised the free AI 2 she's taught them how to multiply and 3 she's made contact with whatever Rache Bartmoss turned into and they made something even more powerful/dangerous than the free AI that people in realspace even knew about.

Johnny Silverhand might even decide to want to join Alt behind the Blackwall but separating JS from the Relic puts V's life in danger and that's where the tension arises. So exciting *rubs hands*

After the mess Rache Bartmoss put in the old Net, Netwatch put everything they could offline, made the Black Wall to contain the "blue screen of death" crap which infested the cyberspace in it and probably hunt every curious netrunner away from it.

I guess Johnny Silverhand will try to have us put it down so he can see his girlfriend, and it probably won't end well... (Aka "a city will burn")

I'd tend to agree about Johnny and Alt. The "thing" is Johnny is apparently in a single chip, whereas Alt has the entire network (the part behind the Blackwall) to operate from/in. Additionally Johnny was/is a Rocker and Alt a Programmer/Netrunner (she wrote Soulkiller after all) so what Johnny can do, and "perceive" is but a tiny fraction of what Alt is capable of.

And I totally agree the "immortality" is that of consciousness not of body.

Syware

Forum regular
I don't understand how it could end the world completely? Maybe Night City but the entire world? That part looks like an exaggeration, maybe by Netwatch? For example, it makes it sound that beyond the Blackwall there are several huge alien armies behind it and if somebody opens the gate then its the apocalypse.

Pondsmith wrote that in the process of creating the history of the world of Cyberpunk, he had to end the world without ending it. the lore of Cyberpunk is very much a history of a world after the world's end. an apocalypse is just another history's genesis. so whatever havoc the release of the free ai would have on the world could very well constitute an apocalypse. and on that grave an entirely new world would come to be

I don't understand how it could end the world completely? Maybe Night City but the entire world? That part looks like an exaggeration, maybe by Netwatch? For example, it makes it sound that beyond the Blackwall there are several huge alien armies behind it and if somebody opens the gate then its the apocalypse.
The claim, from NetWatch, is rogue AIs exist behind the Blackwall that will go all SkyNet/Terminator on the world if they're released. Others claim the AIs had a "war" behind the Blackwall and those benevolent to humanity came out on top and if released they'll overturn the Corp grip on government and ordinary people. This why they "need" be be kept locked behind the Blackwall.

Which is right?
Who knows for sure.

Last edited:
I think the journey, after Johnny is in your head, will be heavily related to this. You and him work "together" (mostly you lol) with the hope of saving Alt. But maybe it will be part of the games critical choices, do you want to help him do that or not? And will he be able to fry your head or make you go crazy if you don't?

I'm sure that there is a race of sencient AIs behind the red black wall. Without human oversight, these AIs have evolved into an unfathomable state – so they are very creepy; let's call them the Creepers.
The Creepers will try to erase all of humanity and when V finally confronts them, s/he will have three choices:
A) Merge with these AIs to become an Overlord, with the moral standards you as a player taught him
B) Destroy them all, so that organic life can continue unimpeded
C) Merge all of humanity with AI systems to create a new species

Well, if any of that really happens, I will be disappointed because AI-stories normally end in cliché. So, CDPR, please don't do that :shrug:

Last edited:

Guest 4406876

I'm sure that there is a race of sencient AIs behind the red black wall. Without human oversight, these AIs have evolved into an unfathomable state – so they are very creepy; let's call them the Creepers.
The Creepers will try to erase all of humanity and when V finally confronts them, s/he will have three choices:
A) Merge with these AIs to become an Overlord, with the moral standards you as a player taught him

Well, if any of that really happens, I will be disappointed because AI-stories normally end in cliché. So, CDPR, please don't do that :shrug:
Reminds me of Deus (fixed :D) Ex (from Deus Ex Machina, which didn't really mean what's commonly used for now but we adapted it I guess borrowing the original meaning in a sense). It's the whole concept of Ai and organic merging togheter for the better good, or total annihilation. Same has been treated in Matrix (with a slighlty different take on it, since robots subdued humans after being mistreated), or even movies like IRobot (Isaac Asimov heavily inspired) or Blade Runner or even Alien and Metropolis. It's usually the main topic discussed in many dystopian stories. The creator taken over by its creation. And the clash for survival of both.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm thinking sentient rogue AIs. I'm sure you've heard of Skynet

uwu

Given how engineers building AI right now, often end up in a situation where they don't understand the AI they have made, the AI would be unfathomable out of the gate.

The Creepers will try to erase all of humanity ...

The quote is; AI doesn't hate you, but you are composed of atoms, that it has better uses for.

...and when V finally confronts them, s/he will have three choices: one choice: Kiss his/her ass goodbye.

FTFY

What's in it for the AI? See followup;

How? If the AI have evolved to become Artificial General Intelligence and done so behind the Blackwall, thus being deprived of computational resources. Releasing them to access the readily available resources of a city, would have them embed themselves into the city too deeply to be rooted out.

After that, they would rapidly generate the airtight stratagems that would lead to their mathematically certain victory over humanity. And by the time that V or any other person would realize the threat, it would already be too late.

Refer to the earlier, what's in it for the AI?

A(G)I-stories, at least the ones that are written by someone who knows about AGI, are all about one simple question;

Do the AGI's values align with human values?

If the answer is; No. We are fucked.

If the answer is; Yes. Onwards to utopia.

After reading up on the actual gameplay mechanic of Netrunning and hacking in this game, it sounds kinda dull, bordering on tedious, especially when compared to how it's described in the P&P game. Hopefully, I can avoid it for the most part and just Solo my way through everything...either that or get a Netrunner ally to partner up with that can do all of that for me. The latter works for me since I'll need a replacement for the hopefully soon to be departed Jackie in my game. :whistle:

A(G)I-stories, at least the ones that are written by someone who knows about AGI, are all about one simple question;

Do the AGI's values align with human values?

If the answer is; No. We are fucked.

If the answer is; Yes. Onwards to utopia.

Whoops, you really took it very seriously. I was actually making a joke and referring to the ending of Mass Effect 3 (which yes, was a washed down version of the original Deus Ex' ending) – that's why I called the AIs "the Creepers" (like the Reapers).

And all your points and questions are absolutely right and valid, that's why I tried to express my fear of clichés (through irony).

Top Bottom