What do you do first when you enter an area?

+
What do you do first when you enter an area?

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with Velen. I just got here, and don't know if I should go pick up all the quests, then go loot hunting in buildings and areas afterwords, or what. Kinda wondering what everyone else is doing?

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with Velen. I just got here, and don't know if I should go pick up all the quests, then go loot hunting in buildings and areas afterwords, or what. Kinda wondering what everyone else is doing?

Don't think about it too much, just do whatever you like to do, it will be more enjoyable this way.
If you start doing stuff because you feel you have to, after a while it becomes like a chore, so instead do what feels interesting or fun.

Last edited:
I usually start by going to the nearest town, checking the board and talking to NPS's to see if some of them have quests. I've noticed sometimes when you talk to them they don't have an ! point over there head and they give you a simple quest to do before you can find a bigger side quest.

I usually start by going to the nearest town, checking the board and talking to NPS's to see if some of them have quests. I've noticed sometimes when you talk to them they don't have an ! point over there head and they give you a simple quest to do before you can find a bigger side quest.

In all seriousness. This is what I do. Other than talking to ol' Jo sitting over there picking yesterday's lunch out of his teeth with a broken pitchfork.

I clear all the messageboards in one town, then jump to the next town where I see a yellow board icon and clear that one. Repeat until I have picked up all the quests and then worry about sorting them out :)

I usually visit the near-by question mark locations wherever they spawn me, then visit the close by villages, and do a little looting lol.

I posted this in another thread. Might help...
Maybe some minor spoilers...

Started up the ps4 today and continued on my way to Novigrad. Jumped online and posted a message about traveling without the mini map, then procedded to do what I had just wrote about -ride thru the village, turn left at the next big wood, then you're at a monster nest.

Worked out close to perfect. I rarely need to check the minimap now.

Spent a good bit taking my time defeating a bunch of insectoids, then as it was getting dark I decided to go meditate at this tiny little tower on a hill surrounded by beautiful fields, with the city and a sunset not too far off in the distance.
So I get inside and immediately see ladders going up the tower and one going down into what I assume is the basement (ok, crypt).
No f'ing way am I going downstairs for Dracula to bite my ass, I'm only lv 13 for Eternal Fire's sake, so off I go -all the way to the top, looting everything I see. This place must be some kind of quest cause the loots good.

At the top the buzzer goes off telling me it's quest time, so it's off to go find Count Dracula. I make my way downstairs fine, nothing really going on and more importantly nothing came out and bit my ass. Doesn't make any sense; loots good! Says I'm on a new quest, better go outside...

Long story short, I come up to some bodies and my fears were realized; I'm a dumbass, I'm facing a Wraith, and a tough one at that. Screw that, I'm gonna do this one right and go to the city and get ready.

Traveling that short distance to the city without the mini map is getting easier and easier. Decided I better find a Blacksmith, so I'm walking thru half the city listening for the sounds of an anvil. Not easy without the map, but I'd been here before so I eventually settle for the one in the main square after I spend an eternity walking and serfs spitting on me. Like the countryside mucho better...
I have the armor I want, just got to get the right boots. Passed a Butcher and Book shop along the way. Maybe I'll come back later and click on those and see what that's about.

It's nighttime on the second day and I'm ready to head back and finish this quest. Went to the notice board and sure enough someone was looking for a Witcher to take care of this little problem. I do that, then head back to that little tower surrounded by those beautiful fields. I've got everything I need; those little circle things filled in those armor and weapons slots, tons of multicolored potions and oils and pleanty of food I had collected stomping on wolves and wild dogs when I thought I'd be a bad ass and go back to Velen and clean up some of those easy quests I earlier passed up.

She kicked my ass! I'm rolling, diving, yelling, even on screen, and I barely make it out of there in one piece. Even Roach took off... My only saving grace was that I didn't load a save. Got out of there before I croaked, but every steak, dog chop, beer, everything I had spent days collecting gone! I consumed everything while I jinked and jived my way to Dumbassery! Can't believe this sh-t!

So as I ride back to town after finding Roach, she wasn't coming over to my cat calls -don't blame her. I'm thinking about instead of plugging whatever fits into a circular slot, to figure out just which ones will work for that bitch out in those beautiful fields next to the tower. Thinking, maybe I should spend more time on developing some of those bombs that work best on her. Maybe start developing a character instead of racing thru levels. Most importantly, thinking that instead of completing questst, I'll just focus on getting ready for this one.

Ride back to the city feeling like ass, when all of a sudden someone yells out "Hide the wenches; Witcher's here..."

II wasn't even looking to do a quest. I just wanted to work on navigation without a mini map!

It's all about the journey.

Thanks for all the responses. Think I'll collect all the quests from the message boards and then go from there. I'm a completionist so I like to do everything possible..loot every house, every lootable object,. etc.

I posted this in another thread. Might help...
Maybe some minor spoilers...

Started up the ps4 today and continued on my way to Novigrad. Jumped online and posted a message about traveling without the mini map, then procedded to do what I had just wrote about -ride thru the village, turn left at the next big wood, then you're at a monster nest.

Worked out close to perfect. I rarely need to check the minimap now.

Spent a good bit taking my time defeating a bunch of insectoids, then as it was getting dark I decided to go meditate at this tiny little tower on a hill surrounded by beautiful fields, with the city and a sunset not too far off in the distance.
So I get inside and immediately see ladders going up the tower and one going down into what I assume is the basement (ok, crypt).
No f'ing way am I going downstairs for Dracula to bite my ass, I'm only lv 13 for Eternal Fire's sake, so off I go -all the way to the top, looting everything I see. This place must be some kind of quest cause the loots good.

At the top the buzzer goes off telling me it's quest time, so it's off to go find Count Dracula. I make my way downstairs fine, nothing really going on and more importantly nothing came out and bit my ass. Doesn't make any sense; loots good! Says I'm on a new quest, better go outside...

Long story short, I come up to some bodies and my fears were realized; I'm a dumbass, I'm facing a Wraith, and a tough one at that. Screw that, I'm gonna do this one right and go to the city and get ready.

Traveling that short distance to the city without the mini map is getting easier and easier. Decided I better find a Blacksmith, so I'm walking thru half the city listening for the sounds of an anvil. Not easy without the map, but I'd been here before so I eventually settle for the one in the main square after I spend an eternity walking and serfs spitting on me. Like the countryside mucho better...
I have the armor I want, just got to get the right boots. Passed a Butcher and Book shop along the way. Maybe I'll come back later and click on those and see what that's about.

It's nighttime on the second day and I'm ready to head back and finish this quest. Went to the notice board and sure enough someone was looking for a Witcher to take care of this little problem. I do that, then head back to that little tower surrounded by those beautiful fields. I've got everything I need; those little circle things filled in those armor and weapons slots, tons of multicolored potions and oils and pleanty of food I had collected stomping on wolves and wild dogs when I thought I'd be a bad ass and go back to Velen and clean up some of those easy quests I earlier passed up.

She kicked my ass! I'm rolling, diving, yelling, even on screen, and I barely make it out of there in one piece. Even Roach took off... My only saving grace was that I didn't load a save. Got out of there before I croaked, but every steak, dog chop, beer, everything I had spent days collecting gone! I consumed everything while I jinked and jived my way to Dumbassery! Can't believe this sh-t!

So as I ride back to town after finding Roach, she wasn't coming over to my cat calls -don't blame her. I'm thinking about instead of plugging whatever fits into a circular slot, to figure out just which ones will work for that bitch out in those beautiful fields next to the tower. Thinking, maybe I should spend more time on developing some of those bombs that work best on her. Maybe start developing a character instead of racing thru levels. Most importantly, thinking that instead of completing questst, I'll just focus on getting ready for this one.

Ride back to the city feeling like ass, when all of a sudden someone yells out "Hide the wenches; Witcher's here..."

II wasn't even looking to do a quest. I just wanted to work on navigation without a mini map!

It's all about the journey.

I like this, have you thought about doing a blog as you progress through the game?

Maybe I'll do another one tonight on my journey at the highest difficulty setting....title it, 'Zen and the Art of Roach Maintenance'

Top Bottom