What do you guys think of Adrenaline?

+
I like it as a new layer to balance the power of the cards. If a card is really strong you don't have to cut down its power, nerf its ability, or make it cost more provisions. You can give it Adrenaline.
The problem is... this is looking like the only new keyword this patch. And if that's the case then that is very disappointing. A "nerf keyword" on the level of Initiative and row-lock isn't so big as to deserve its own expansion. Hopefully we get new BIG meta-shaking keywords, on the level of Echo and Defender

What's your take on this?

Echos have done so much damage to the game I'm fine with them keeping it simple this expansion with Adrenaline only. Seems like a fun keyword that allows very flexible designs.

Echos have done so much damage to the game I'm fine with them keeping it simple this expansion with Adrenaline only. Seems like a fun keyword that allows very flexible designs.
That's a good point. So far though only Gerd seems deserving of Adrenaline, the others... feels really slapped-on just for the sake of having the new keyword appear on the new cards. The new Viper Witchers for example... you're forced to play a 6 for 5 in the middle of the round? Not to mention that melting self-poision scorpion. Bleh
Anyways back to the point: the problem with Echo isn't that it was a new big thing, it's that it's Echo. If they're balanced, I definitely want new big mechanics.

Can't really judge without trying it out first, but I will say it looks interesting. Forces you to pay attention to what you're doing, which is always a good thing.

it looks to be a very promising keyword, especially with potential downsides to cards that are hard to balance

That's a good point. So far though only Gerd seems deserving of Adrenaline, the others... feels really slapped-on just for the sake of having the new keyword appear on the new cards. [...]
Salamandra Abomination ?
The Adrenaline condition on that one might be reason enough that the entire playstyle falls apart, given that the only playable self-poison engine is only usable when it is too late anyways.

Edit: That being said, I do like the keyword, however the card has to deserve such a restriction, slapping it on for the sake of it is horrible design.

There are still several more cards coming for Syndicate, so might not end up being the only one.
That is true, however redundancy is not helping the card that much either, unless of course poisoning multiple engines per turn is a lot easier and/or efficient than it currently appears.

Hmm... it would be possible to combo the Abomination with Kalkstein, and boost every round even when Adrenaline is not active. Probably would need a Defender though.

I like it; simple mechanic and forces you to stay more alert instead of just going on autopilot.
I don't know if we are also going to get massive change to other cards and/or leader abilities, but I think ( hope ) it will get more support and synergies with the new cards.

DRK3

Forum veteran
On the subject of Adrenaline - i like the mechanic, but its not entirely new, we already have 2 cards with it, their description is just worded differently - Yghern and Cleaver (called 'Carlo Varese' now, i think), where their effect depends on how many cards you have on hand.

Regarding self poison... Ahh i still remember before MoO when Poison was a joke, one of the most obscure archetypes in gwent, then came MoO and made Poison completely dominant for 6 months... this makes me wonder if the same thing could happen to self poison, i bet most players, even veterans, never tried or seen it.

Here's some self poison (absolutely terrible, in 2019 and 2020, so far):
Junkies vs GoldDiggers.jpg

(screenshot of the 1st day Syndicate was released... and i had no idea it would be such trash compared to other SY archetypes)
Self Poison humiliating SW.jpg

(and another, from just last month, where due to the powercreep self poison become even worse - this moment was a rare situation where it actually did kinda ok, most times its getting utterly crushed)

I like Adrenaline on paper at least. Makes you think about order of play. Would like to see more cards have adrenaline rather than initiative.

In regards to self poison, looks highly interesting, but I can see this being heavily match dependent. NG or even some ST decks would completely wreck your self poison deck.

Untill now i like The idea.

It cuts a little The autopilot decks, since a lot of times player Will need to choose to play early and Maybe lose some "power" of the card or play later but lose The righ "tempo".

Also i think korathi could have adrenalin.

"Ban a card.
Adrenaline 3 - If The taget its a unit, damage for half of its current power"

ya1

Forum regular
Adrenaline should be great. It should add a layer of player agency to the game.

Untill now i like The idea.

It cuts a little The autopilot decks, since a lot of times player Will need to choose to play early and Maybe lose some "power" of the card or play later but lose The righ "tempo".

Also i think korathi could have adrenalin.

"Ban a card.
Adrenaline 3 - If The taget its a unit, damage for half of its current power"
Something like that is exactly why I would rather see more adrenaline than initiative, if not replace initiative entirely.

How does Adrenaline work for passive abilities like the new Roland card? For example if you played the card first in a round, does the passive ability stay the same the whole round or, after 5 more cards are played, does the ability change?

My understanding is the passive ability is based when the card is played and does change as your hand changes.

Last edited:
How does Adrenaline work for passive abilities like the new Roland card? For example if you played the card first in a round, does the passive ability stay the same the whole round or, after 5 more cards are played, does the ability change?
My guess is the card constantly keeps track of Adrenaline, otherwise Kolgrim would trigger only once which is awful,

My guess is the card constantly keeps track of Adrenaline, otherwise Kolgrim would trigger only once which is awful,
Actually seems like that is the case from watching the dev stream again, but I could be misinterpreting it.

The way they phrase Adrenaline in the stream is that Adrenaline checks the status of your hand in the moment of playing the card, which they mention when talking about the new Viper Witcher. The confusing part for me is what you are asking in regards to more passive abilities and if they trigger multiple times provided your hand count is within that range, which they don't really mention at all if Kolgrim will trigger multiple times, or just the once.
Post automatically merged:

If Kolgrim triggered multiple times, that would just play right into tall removal anyway. Unless you play a mill deck and milled or baited all tall removal from your opponent, or just have that huge of a card advantage by some other means, he's near guaranteed to be smitten from the board at that point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom