What do you think about the future of modding capability?

+
Hi everyone.

I was looking at Nexus recently and all I saw was graphical mods and save files. What are your thoughts on how much modders will be able to change Cyberpunk in the future? Did CD Projekt RED say anything about the modding? Is it realistic to expect mods that can also interfere with dialogue systems, like Mass Effect mods?

I'd love to see mods that improves interactions in open world. Since we have animations, modders wouldn't have to create animations by themselves. But it is not that simple of course. They need access and an ability to change dialogues/interactions. Is that allowed by CD Projekt RED and is it seems possible in terms of technical side?

I have no idea about how much control do modders have on the game so let's discuss it.

Moxy3

Forum regular
Hi everyone.

I was looking at Nexus recently and all I saw was graphical mods and save files. What are your thoughts on how much modders will be able to change Cyberpunk in the future? Did CD Projekt RED say anything about the modding? Is it realistic to expect mods that can also interfere with dialogue systems, like Mass Effect mods?

I'd love to see mods that improves interactions in open world. Since we have animations, modders wouldn't have to create animations by themselves. But it is not that simple of course. They need access and an ability to change dialogues/interactions. Is that allowed by CD Projekt RED and is it seems possible in terms of technical side?

I have no idea about how much control do modders have on the game so let's discuss it.

not quite sure if its possible with the animations. i think the animations were created with motion capture? (at least for the main quests)
Maybe there are animations from side quests that can be used, but voice acting must be done as well.

dont take my words for granted, but ive heard somewhere that they would release modding tools later. (but like i said thats just what ive heard, i have no clue.) :)

not quite sure if its possible with the animations. i think the animations were created with motion capture? (at least for the main quests)
Maybe there are animations from side quests that can be used, but voice acting must be done as well.

dont take my words for granted, but ive heard somewhere that they would release modding tools later. (but like i said thats just what ive heard, i have no clue.) :)

Yes, animations come from Motion Capture, majority. few crafter 'frame per frame' (huge work: rig+ morph+ animations). But is possible, IF with the RE4 in hands :3

Voices, texts spech: A little more difficult here, but using your imagination, anything is possible. They developed the technology of face animations well. They could work with voice banks (words, vowel sounds). But nothing around 'mods'. Mods are modifications, often without access to technologies capable of changing a game.

If they release modding tools like say Beths CK (or similar) that would be great, texture mods or as said in the OP save files are not really worth worrying about. Not saying Textures are not worth the work put into them as a game like Morrowind could never look the same again after a huge texture file added.

i mean it needs an open utility that can do a lot, we sure most animations came from motion camera? Some of the main characters look good but the NPC's are pretty bad if they are motion shots? On NPC's got to ask, seen a 'Female'? NPC having a 'restroom' stop on the pavement. But having a tinkle (tinkle little star, He He) as a Male NPC. Cross gender or NPC glitch with a Male in Female Clothing?

Hi everyone.

It would be like Skyrim, where certain mods quest lines or interaction would not have voice or they would most likely say something generic and players would just have to live with that. It doesn't seem to be an issue for those playing Skyrim. So I think people would get by in CP as well.

You don't need motion capture for all animations and people would still be able to make good ones, if they can extract the skeleton. And again there are a lot of animations included in CP already so these could be used for most things.

I still think that opening up for modding when they have gotten the game under control, would take CP to the next level. A lot of the people interesting in making mods are extremely good at it, if they are given access.

I think they should just release every tool and just let us mod the game.. im gonna enjoy doing that cause for god sake they have some bad software engineering here.. probably rushed like hell.. cause wow.

We just need to wait for the official MODkit. iirc, Witcher 3 has one but it does not support creating new quests.

If CDPR releases in-depth tools, you'll be looking at quite a lot of possibilities.

if they released tools of the order of what Bethesda releases for it's games, you're looking at; overhauls of any and all systems, graphical mods, new quests, new systems, expansions size mods that include all the previous, etc.

The game certainly is popular enough to attract really talented modders and inspire new modders to try their hand at modding. It will all depend on what tools CDPR releases. If CDPR releases the right kind of tools even hardcoded systems can be altered through tricks.

As it stands though, not much is possible and what little is possible requires absurd amount of time.

If you check back on the Patch 1.05 notes I just remembered they said this:

• Removed debug console to prevent functions that could lead to crashes or blocked quests. This doesn't mean we don't want to support the modding community. Stay tuned for more info on that.
Now that's not saying "we are going to give you modding tools" BUT there is obviously something planned and if they follow the path laid out by Beth (you know for the last 20 years, He He). Consoles could have Mods too if it can be done with a CK type utility. Obviously game assets only for the Playstation, unless Sony has loosened up a little bit on how much Mods can do compared to the current restrictions on Beth games.

PS: @GrimReaper801 Umm hardcoded systems being altered (tricks or not) is the one thing I'd rather not see as a general release type Mod TBH. Plus it is something Sony would never touch with a bargepole let alone a Playstation. :LOL:

I'll be shocked if they release modding tools at all, let alone tools capable of modifying hard-coded game systems, which are where a lot of the work would be needed in order to execute the kinds of changes that so many people want to see. Given how rough the current game is already, I don't see how they would have had time to develop modding tools or support.

I'd see majority of the mods going to the actual character customization. Putting in all the missing things that you expected. Such as muscle, fat, height, swtiching of gender, haircuts etc. As well as full nudity control and sex mods. Plus other things that annoy people. Such as allow you to kill the kids. FIX the police system? Or someone will get the train system working. Assuming the modding tools aren't crap.

It's all down to how they built the game if they have good utilities/tools that they created much of the game with then it's just a question of downsizing it to be able to do enough to create mods that can do almost anything but not touch the hardcoding.

That's basically what Beth's CK is and that's been used to fix game bugs, create masses of new content and quests. It has added new ideas that Beth had never thought of which are now common within the Fallout Franchise.

The benefits to provide tools like Bethesda does, far outweigh the work required to customise those tools for home MA.

It's all down to how they built the game if they have good utilities/tools that they created much of the game with then it's just a question of downsizing it to be able to do enough to create mods that can do almost anything but not touch the hardcoding.

That's basically what Beth's CK is and that's been used to fix game bugs, create masses of new content and quests. It has added new ideas that Beth had never thought of which are now common within the Fallout Franchise.

The benefits to provide tools like Bethesda does, far outweigh the work required to customise those tools for home MA.

This.

I'm chomping at the bit to create new stuff for this game. Here's my short list:

Penthouse Apartment
Customizable vehicles (paints and performance tweaks and such)
Clothing
Weapons
Interactive stuff (for V's current apt.)
Custom side quests and gigs
Faction tweaks (to add life to the currently absent faction interactions)

and whatever else pops into my head as I explore and discover ;)(y)

An "officially supported" toolkit would also give CDPR meaningful control over what can or can't be altered so as not to break the game with a mod.

Has CDPR given any official statement on providing modding tools?

Not specifically about an "official" toolkit, no.

However, when they removed the console in one of the recent patches, they made it clear that they didn't remove it to indicate the game wouldn't support mods. I'm assuming they removed it to avoid players tampering with things they shouldn't until after they fix the bugs and performance issues. Don't need people re-breaking things as quick as they fix them.

Get it all hammered out first, then add the console back in after they're done. Makes sense.

i know for that most moders dont ask permission to make mods but if CDPR sent an email asking fitgirl to relesse her repack the would be cool with it and also we need a mod that alows player cars a npc cars to fly with animations. and have sky traffic.

Unfortunately I fear it may go down the same path as KC: Deliverance. They released mod tools so late into the games life cycle that modders didn't pick it up and players moved on. I say this because while cyberpunk is a fun game, there isn't enough interaction with the world and things to actually explore and do. This is especially true after 2 or 3 playthroughs (at most) if you haven't already spoiled other choices for yourself.

Sooner rather than later when it comes to mod tools is definitely the right direction to keep players interested and prolong the longevity of the game.

Just my opinion.

Top Bottom