What do you think about V?

+
Hey,
I think the concept of V is pretty good, but I don't like how (s)he quite literally changes personalities between quests based on hardcoded motives.

V's personality should be merc + selected background, but I feel like it ranges anywhere from being an explosive maniac to an empathetic listener.
With three different backgrounds there are essentially three different Vs to choose from. I don't think it would be at all unreasonable to expect the three of them to have different personalities and different ways of speaking. However what we end up getting feels more like a chimera of the three Vs. The main reason for this is most likely that CDPR didn't want to write and record three different sets of dialogue for V.

actually after the first 15 mins you have just the one V left - Merc, Lifepathes dont make a difference at all - these couple of irrelevant dialog options dont make a difference, neither in character building nor in story evolving/telling - It could have been so much more tho... sad it isn't : /

the life paths are just a bit of background for your character, not where you are now or where you are headed. You can start as a corpo and evolve into a nomad. or start as a streetkid and end up siding with arasaka (very tyger claw rp) or start as a corpo and see the light and join johnny trying to bring them down. This is in keeping with the ttrpg

I think many people would have liked a tighter more controlled less sand box type class system as plenty seem lost without it.

the life paths are just a bit of background for your character, not where you are now or where you are headed. You can start as a corpo and evolve into a nomad. or start as a streetkid and end up siding with arasaka (very tyger claw rp) or start as a corpo and see the light and join johnny trying to bring them down. This is in keeping with the ttrpg
Yep, it's like backstory in Mass Effect (Spacer, Earthborn, Colonist) a "little bit" more develloped. During the game, it doesn't change anything (or almost), but a player who would want to (role)play a Renegate Shepard, maybe want a Shepard who growth on earth in a middle of gangs (Earthborn).

V acts as a Merc, but with flashes of their previous lifestyle coming through. (And there are times when I felt it significantly changed how they approached things).

There's a core personality to V, additional variation due to their background, and then extra variation depending on your dialogue choices.

I found it quite an impressive balance. And, honestly, I identified a lot more with V than with the voiceless protagonists of Elden Ring and Skyrim.

Cheers,
Merric

I think V was great CDPR concept and they managed to execute it quite well in terms of keeping a balance between blank character to fill with your own story and emotions and predetermined attributes. A lot of that is thanks to voice actors (especially Cherami which I love in that one) who gave character life and believability in responding to situations.

I would really appreciate some more customisation of V`s story (relatives etc) during character creation which would have some effect in couple of places.

still smiling about the fact that for the pc community the rpg world just contains skyrim and mass effect... in comparison of any rpg main char v as a character just feels flat. fact. every rpg (not talking about openworld but about rpgs in general) has a strong main char backstory/development because thats what rpgs stand for. v needs own imagination to become a personality while most rpgs chars personalities are already written and pushed by the games story.

its like LeKill already said - that are two different things you cant really compare v with a round up built rpg main story char of other games.

still smiling about the fact that for the pc community the rpg world just contains skyrim and mass effect... in comparison of any rpg main char v as a character just feels flat. fact. every rpg (not talking about openworld but about rpgs in general) has a strong main char backstory/development because thats what rpgs stand for. v needs own imagination to become a personality while most rpgs chars personalities are already written and pushed by the games story.

its like LeKill already said - that are two different things you cant really compare v with a round up built rpg main story char of other games.
I have a PC but I take my RPG definition from tabletop. Which means you can provide the personality or use a pre-made character someone else created. Both are roleplay.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
I have a PC but I take my RPG definition from tabletop. Which means you can provide the personality or use a pre-made character someone else created. Both are roleplay.

never said anything different - just that you cant compare a blank char filled with own imaginations with a strong written one. : o

Are you asking about the character, or about the voice actor playing the character? I only played the game in English, where I think both voice actors were good; the female a bit better. Or are you asking about the character in general? If so, then I find the character V to be uninteresting and uncompelling.

I think that the character was designed to play the part of the fool, so to speak, and in that regard, I think that the writers did a good job with the character. But that's not the type of main character that I enjoy.

never said anything different - just that you cant compare a blank char filled with own imaginations with a strong written one. : o
yes, different style of roleplay entirely. I like HZD and I would class that as pre-gen roleplay. I played it through once and it was good. It lacks the variety of playsets and stories I can get from cp2077, which one is better is personal preference. But then we get into, is watching a film roleplay? obviously not but when everything is voiced and acted and the story is railroaded is that roleplay at all?

I feel the mods are about to tell me off for going OT.

I like 'v', her emotions are often what I intended when I reply. Sometimes they miss but mostly they are good. I really enjoyed the playthrough pissing johnny off and was confrontational with him every step of the way. That worked out really well.

Are you asking about the character, or about the voice actor playing the character? I only played the game in English, where I think both voice actors were good; the female a bit better. Or are you asking about the character in general? If so, then I find the character V to be uninteresting and uncompelling.

I think that the character was designed to play the part of the fool, so to speak, and in that regard, I think that the writers did a good job with the character. But that's not the type of main character that I enjoy.

I was indeed just asking about the Character itself and her/his development over the course of the Game.

Synchronization is just a hit or miss. You like it or you don't

Hey Guys, Title says it. What do you think about V as the Main Character? I would really like to hear your opinions.

I for myself, think he/she is very good written, relatable, believeable and I genuinely cared for her/him throughout the Story. At first I wasn't really shure about creating a new Character, coming from the Witcher and Geralt. But, it played out really well and now I can't emagine playing as someone else.

What are your thoughts?
I liked V as well overall.

And I honestly don't think a Geralt character could have solved the "issues" in CP, that some people seem to have with V as a main character. Its very clear from reading peoples comments on the characters in CP that people really like a lot of them. I personally didn't like all of them, but by far the majority I think were very good and had a lot of personality, even those I didn't like, were not because I thought they were weak characters as such, it were simply because I didn't like their personality that much. This is by no means to be taken as a negative, but as a huge thumbs up, because to me it simply shows how much personality they manage to get into these characters, that you actually care as a player.

And these characters plays a huge part in creating V as a protagonist I think. For instance when I first saw the trailer with Jackie, I feared that he would be a character that I would end up being extremely tired of. But even though he is not that much in the game, he really won me over and would have liked to have had him as a side kick for longer. But this also means that you as a player, when you like these characters "behave" in a different way around them, compared to how you for instance would a henchman in Skyrim, which just "fools" around.

So I didn't have a huge problem playing V as I wanted her to be for the most part. As in most RPs, the dialog options doesn't always live up to what you expect or how are presented with the attitude that you thought they would, but these are minor issues I think.

The biggest issues I have with V or the direction CDPR took him/her, is that you are very quickly thrown to the side as the main protagonist in the story and replaced by Silverhand.
Not in terms of gameplay, but you slowly start to feel more as a puppet for the other characters (Mostly Silverhand) rather than dealing with V and what you would like to do.

Given the very limited options of choice, the fact that you are going to die, sort of ruins the character a bit. Which is why, I started by saying that I don't think even a character as Geralt could have improved it. Because it would be like playing the Witcher where Geralt is not really the main protagonist, but purely a puppet for Siri. And even though one could argue that it is sort of like that in the TW3, Geralt is far more integrated in the story and have very clear goals etc. Which makes sure that he doesn't end up as a puppet.

So I liked V, but would have liked to have seen the story revolve around her/him rather than Silverhand or at least have some sort of investment in the story. So obviously, the story also plays a huge role in this and there are things that V (The player) is suppose to do which break the immersion. Some of them are small things, such as some of the loot V collects or find valuable, like half eaten pizzas from the street, ashtray and all these random clutter items. Where you wonder why on Earth, would a person that own 8 luxury cars want to collect these things? The fact that V have a goal of being a "hotshot" in NC and after 3 days you are insanely rich makes this whole thing seems kind of pointless, if its that easy.
Some of the gigs/jobs that V chooses to do, given that you know you are going to die in 3 weeks made me lose a lot of immersion, it didn't fit with the story in my opinion and ultimately I think it hurts V as a protagonist.

When I play TW3, despite doing all these jobs and quests etc. You never really feel that Geralt is insanely rich as a result of it, so the story and setting just seems to fit better overall here as well. Which again lead to the world in CP not really being as fleshed out/balanced as the one in the TW3.

For instance just running around in NC, the illusion of all the poor people being there, when there is loot and weapons all over the place, again for me breaks the illusion. And even though they might be small things, I think adding all of them together simply end up hurting V as a main character, because its just not as believable as that of TW.

Last edited:
The biggest issues I have with V or the direction CDPR took him/her, is that you are very quickly thrown to the side as the main protagonist in the story and replaced by Silverhand.
Not in terms of gameplay, but you slowly start to feel more as a puppet for the other characters (Mostly Silverhand) rather than dealing with V and what you would like to do.

Given the very limited options of choice, the fact that you are going to die, sort of ruins the character a bit. Which is why, I started by saying that I don't think even a character as Geralt could have improved it. Because it would be like playing the Witcher where Geralt is not really the main protagonist, but purely a puppet for Siri. And even though one could argue that it is sort of like that in the TW3, Geralt is far more integrated in the story and have very clear goals etc. Which makes sure that he doesn't end up as a puppet.
It's quite surprising to think that V could be a "puppet". Because Johnny is just a voice in V's head until V give him the control by taking pills (pseudoendotrizine). And it (can) happen only when you reach the point of no return.
So in short, during the vast majority of the game/story, you're V and only V with Johnny as a voice in your head that you can ignore or not (Johnny is just a spectator/passenger).

It's quite surprising to think that V could be a "puppet". Because Johnny is just a voice in V's head until V give him the control by taking pills (pseudoendotrizine). And it (can) happen only when you reach the point of no return.
So in short, during the vast majority of the game/story, you're V and only V with Johnny as a voice in your head that you can ignore or not (Johnny is just a spectator/passenger).
...and when V doesn't take them imo, otherwise I wonder what the initial encounter where Johnny takes control and bangs V's head against the glass was about...? But yes as you said Johnny becomes something more than a voice in V's head quite late and you have to choose to. I can't/will never understand why some people consider the story bout Silverhand.
Some of them are small things, such as some of the loot V collects or find valuable, like half eaten pizzas from the street, ashtray and all these random clutter items. Where you wonder why on Earth, would a person that own 8 luxury cars want to collect these things?

Hey if your V is a kleptomaniac that's cool. But I don't think that is the default:)

And about other characters than Johnny, maybe I'm wrong but the comparison with TW3 is quite accurate because Geralt is also and only a "puppet/tool" for Emhyr, Radovid, Dijkstra, the Bloody Baron, The Ladies of The wood, Gaunter, Hanna Enrietta, Philippa, Avallac'h,...

...and when V doesn't take them imo, otherwise I wonder what the initial encounter where Johnny takes control and bangs V's head against the glass was about...?
Johnny can take control, but he don't :)

Yeah it feels more like Johnny chooses not to take control when he definetly could. Especially when V is in a weak condition. Like near the End when Johnny drags V to Viktor.
The Omega Blocker is for suppressing Johnny if he starts to get too aggressive/annoying or prominent.

When I play TW3, despite doing all these jobs and quests etc. You never really feel that Geralt is insanely rich as a result of it, so the story and setting just seems to fit better overall here as well. Which again lead to the world in CP not really being as fleshed out/balanced as the one in the TW3.

Agreed that definitely feels odd sometimes. Your Merc progression doesn't feel very organic. You climb up the ladder relatively fast with the fixer Jobs, yet no one seems to recognize you. In the Witcher it was OK, because as a Mutant you'll always be the outcast.
I for myself, would have liked a slower progression. I shouldn't be able to get to the top ranks if I have only a few weeks left to live.

Last edited:
Agreed that definitely feels odd sometimes. Your Merc progression doesn't feel very organic. You climb up the ladder relatively fast with the fixer Jobs, yet no one seems to recognize you. In the Witcher it was OK, because as a Mutant you'll always be the outcast.
I for myself, would have liked a slower progression. I shouldn't be able to get to the top ranks if I have only a few weeks left to live.

Agreed.

I really enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077. I look forward to putting probably a couple hundred more hours into the game once the expansion(s) drop. But my main problem with the game was that the main storyline felt purposefully shortened... like it was choppy and missing intended parts. It was still a solid story, but I wish it was longer and had more structure. If they were going to go the route of Silverhand being in your head it feels like something that if the main quest line was about 50 hours long... the Silverhand incident should have happened around hour 30-35, not hour 5-10. This would have given them more time to build up the legend of Silverhand in the world, while also making the rest of the game feel like a mad scramble rather than a mix of you doing merc stuff to build your rep and also trying to solve this thing in your head trying to kill you.

I have no evidence for it, though I am sure other people have looked into it... but I'd imagine when they got Keanu to sign on they made significant changes to the story and progression as well. Because to me part of the game seems like you are just supposed to be a merc working your way up to something greater... then other parts of it are this rushed madness due to the Silverhand storyline.

To me it seems like Silverhand was originally meant to just be a character you encounter in the game. But when they got such a big name they kind of forced him into a bigger role and modified the story.

I have no evidence for it, though I am sure other people have looked into it... but I'd imagine when they got Keanu to sign on they made significant changes to the story and progression as well. Because to me part of the game seems like you are just supposed to be a merc working your way up to something greater... then other parts of it are this rushed madness due to the Silverhand storyline.
No info about that as far as I know, but I think (unlike people like to think...) without Keanu, we would have had the same Johnny, the same story (or almost, maybe some dialogue lines changed... and a new bike indeed).
The most significant change would be : we would have a Johnny with an unknown face/voice, that's all.
To quote Johnny : "When something going wrong, it's always Jhonny's fault...!"

Just a guess too, if the story was (really) shorted (which is not sure...), the most probable culprit is the lack of time/resources (a "lack" maybe also due to all events happen before release).

And for the lack of time to "be a legend"...
I suppose it's up to players too, because my V choose to follow the Viktor's advised advice and give up this "stupid" idea right after the Heist (did mainly for my V's buddy, Jackie). V simply choose (to try) to find a way to "survive" (to cheat the death) and live, simply.
"Night City Legends always end at the graveyard"
To answer to Dex, no path of glory for me too :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom