What do you think about V?

+
She's cool. She'd be even cooler if she took Johnny's place as the revolutionary of NC (too bad her impending death prevents that from happening, but she does still have some time before that happens :howdy:)

Hey Guys, Title says it. What do you think about V as the Main Character? I would really like to hear your opinions.

I for myself, think he/she is very good written, relatable, believeable and I genuinely cared for her/him throughout the Story. At first I wasn't really shure about creating a new Character, coming from the Witcher and Geralt. But, it played out really well and now I can't emagine playing as someone else.

What are your thoughts?
Johnny is the main character. He has backstory.. he has motives.. he has things to get done and issues to resolve. V never solves V's issue and can pick someone to have a single date and one night stand with but can never visit or even call on the phone. JS has just as many dates as V has in the game.

You were allowed to tweak Geralt to a degree... V conjures from somewhere the i wannt be the bestest evah!! when it didnt show in any prologue... and all prologues and events prove meaningless in interactions, motivations.. and effects.
Post automatically merged:

I think V was okay. I don't rank V among the all-time great or memorable main characters though.

Geralt, Kratos, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine - those are the types of characters I view as truly iconic. It's one of the reasons I kind of prefer a "preset" main character for games rather than a build your own. Sometimes it can go horribly wrong, but when it is done right it is amazing.

Where as V, Skyrim main character person, Fallout main character person, etc. are just never very memorable to me. The people and places around me always stick more than the character I play. For instance when I think back on a Cyberpunk play through I think about Panam, Judy, Silverhand and Night City... not really about V.

But I suppose that is a personal preference thing. :)
I agree in part and dissent in art. Disagreement is Fallout NV your character even unvoiced has wayyyyymore depth and personality to them then the pack mule -for-JS V is. What happens in prologue of that story continues and becomes major event. Your prologues for V - never meet any of the characters again with exception of jackie (forced friend who also has delusional goal of being the bestest evah) and some rando corpo. Can never talk to old nomad tribe.. never slug that corrupt Sherriff.. or border guard..
Post automatically merged:

That's unfortunate. How come?
The TONE and motivation of the character are all over the place. Go from jackies bestest friend to mocking someone with a serious gut wound , imagined out of the blue - i want to the the bestest evah - when that appeared in zero of any of the prologues.. and V turns into a pack mule for JS to resolve HIS issues.. resolve HIS quest.. for HIS motivations... JS is the main character of CP

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

I liked his/her relationship with Silverhand, but the biggest flaw is how CDPR decided to simply skip through early part of the game ( 6 months period delivered through cutscene) that was critical for V's character development. Very bizarre, and amateurish mistake from people typically considered as competent writers ( by video game standards)
I have to ask - what character development?
Do people really feel disconnect between V's personality in any of the 3 prologue quests and V's personality during The Rescue and onwards?

Do people really feel disconnect between V's personality in any of the 3 prologue quests and V's personality during The Rescue and onwards?
Nope. Each of my V's were already established in my head. The montage with Jackie doesn't really add all that much, except that V changes professions and is now living in Night City in a tiny closet of an apartment.

Let me start by saying that V is interesting. As a player, we are dropped into the life of V; whether it be CORPO, STREETKID or NOMAD. Regardless of the decisions you make; we learn very little about V. Fast forward to the end of the Arasaka mission and we are left with multiple endings, based on the choices you made in each lifepath. As mentioned in other forums, there are a lot of things going on in Night City aside from the Arasaka story. I would much rather give a more accurate opinion on V; based on his/her interaction aside from Arasaka.

My first playthrough of NOMAD involved a female V. Seeing a women go up against tough obstacles is an instant grab for me. Being tempted by money, danger, sex, drugs, envy and ambition is always fun to watch. How'd I'd interact with these obstacles as a female is a much more vibrant scene than what it would be as a guy. Controlling a female V, puts me in the mindset of being able to use female charisma to accomplish missions. Is my V afraid of danger? No. Is my V intelligent. Yes. Using her environment and knowledge is a skill V has, aside from her looks that allows her to acquire the information she needs. During those times, this can be rather fun in the year of 2077 when your able to record everything you do with cyberware.

Sasko talked about this. Their intent was to provide a contrast between pre-heist ( optimistic, hopeful, big dreamer) and post heist ( darker, depressing, raw struggle to survive) parts of main narrative.
Problem is they only showed the former through a half a minute montaged cutscene. You don't appreciate the struggle, because they decided to skip it altogether.

Last edited:
I was playing as female V and I don't know whether it was due to writing or Cherami's phenomenal voice acting, but her character really grew on me. Especially with nomad background, going from this almost rural upbringing into the Night City, being filled by hopes of success and new life - only to see how everything spirals out of control, to be broken and forced to fight tooth and nails for what little remnants of life that were still left. Pretty cynical, but also cathartic journey, one of the strongest parts of the game.

I was playing as female V and I don't know whether it was due to writing or Cherami's phenomenal voice acting, but her character really grew on me. Especially with nomad background, going from this almost rural upbringing into the Night City, being filled by hopes of success and new life - only to see how everything spirals out of control, to be broken and forced to fight tooth and nails for what little remnants of life that were still left. Pretty cynical, but also cathartic journey, one of the strongest parts of the game.

I'mma say Cherami's the reason in large part.

Cherami's performance is just superior to Gavin's. Not to say Gavin's is bad, he did great, but Cherami's rendition of V is just superior. I was blown away by her voice acting at times. She really made some moments pop in a different and very believable way. I hope CDPR keeps working with her in the future.

The writing is good too, of course. Regardless of an actor's talent, a bad script is a bad script but couple someone like her with a great script and you get something amazing.

Cherami's performance is just superior to Gavin's. Not to say Gavin's is bad, he did great, but Cherami's rendition of V is just superior. I was blown away by her voice acting at times. She really made some moments pop in a different and very believable way. I hope CDPR keeps working with her in the future.
Yeah, she definitely channeled inner Jennifer Hale and elevated her character significantly. And yeah, I really hope they'll cast her again in future titles as well.

Yeah, she definitely channeled inner Jennifer Hale and elevated her character significantly. And yeah, I really hope they'll cast her again in future titles as well.

While I enjoyed Hale's Shepard immensely, I genuinely don't think it compares to Cherami's performance. I honestly think Cherami's is miles ahead and, like I said, I think Hale did an amazing job with Shepard. Both were amazing from beginning to end but I can't think of a single moment in ME1/2/3 where I can say I felt genuine pain and desperation in Shepard's voice whereas Cherami's performance was full of these moments.

A great performance.

The writing is good too, of course. Regardless of an actor's talent, a bad script is a bad script but couple someone like her with a great script and you get something amazing.
I suppose CDPR well chosen V's female voice actors, because it's also my though in french (Julie Dray). Great performance :D
(unlike of Shepard in french, mainly due to the poor translation I guess, which is "good" at best...)

While I enjoyed Hale's Shepard immensely, I genuinely don't think it compares to Cherami's performance. I honestly think Cherami's is miles ahead and, like I said, I think Hale did an amazing job with Shepard. Both were amazing from beginning to end but I can't think of a single moment in ME1/2/3 where I can say I felt genuine pain and desperation in Shepard's voice whereas Cherami's performance was full of these moments.

A great performance.
And I absolutely agree.
I brought up Hale, because I found the dichotomy between male Shep and fem Shep similar to male and female V, with Mark Meer (a great actor in his own right) playing a stoic "cool badass", while Jennifer was giving a more nuanced and human performance. But Cherami is outdoing everyone tenfold, she completely knocked it out of the park. Her performance is so raw, so human, that I could effortlessly visualize character's facial expressions - in a first-person game. And she gives so much personality to what is essentially a blank state protagonist, it's insane. I'm not exaggerating, when I'm saying that her performance was one of the absolute best I've ever seen in a video game.
The only way a dude-V would have a chance of keeping up would be if he was played by Troy Backer.

I love my V and I became attached to it (I would have become more attached if it was Nikita Mears: p) I played the Polish version of the game and I liked her voice. I think the view from V's eyes should stay and only the reflections in the mirrors. There should be more in the puddles. Be able to play Johnny (after saving him) there would be moments where we have to play him and we can see our V from his eyes;)

I think story V should be deeper and carried on further. Instead of waiting years for the game, let the developers announce a competition for the best-made mods that would also be introduced to the game. Which would shorten the production time and costs. Who of you, if you had the opportunity, would not want to introduce your idea even for free to this game?

Guest 3847602

Sasko talked about this. Their intent was to provide a contrast between pre-heist ( optimistic, hopeful, big dreamer) and post heist ( darker, depressing, raw struggle to survive) parts of main narrative.
Thanks. If that was their intention, I don't quite get where "optimistic, hopeful, big dreamer" part of the game is. The Rescue is quite dark. The Pickup, too.
Unless you're talking only about the things we've seen in the montage, because, yes, that fits the description.

And I absolutely agree.
I brought up Hale, because I found the dichotomy between male Shep and fem Shep similar to male and female V, with Mark Meer (a great actor in his own right) playing a stoic "cool badass", while Jennifer was giving a more nuanced and human performance. But Cherami is outdoing everyone tenfold, she completely knocked it out of the park. Her performance is so raw, so human, that I could effortlessly visualize character's facial expressions - in a first-person game. And she gives so much personality to what is essentially a blank state protagonist, it's insane. I'm not exaggerating, when I'm saying that her performance was one of the absolute best I've ever seen in a video game.
The only way a dude-V would have a chance of keeping up would be if he was played by Troy Backer.

My mistake then, I misunderstood what you meant.

I really can't think of any performance that amazed me as much as Cherami's. Like you said, I could picture the facial expressions that would go with her voice. Just incredible throughout.

My mistake then, I misunderstood what you meant.

I really can't think of any performance that amazed me as much as Cherami's. Like you said, I could picture the facial expressions that would go with her voice. Just incredible throughout.

The Actress for the german V was also on point 👌

Guess I'm a weirdo cuz I prefer Gavin's performance. Not gonna discredit Cherami, but I really liked Gavin's rendition. His emotional range was quite lovely.

What I think about V.
Well easy, and I'm fully going with what @LeKill3rFou said few pages back. You basically create a physical form for your V (or V's) and go on the adventure while carrying several various backgrounds added with some sprinkles of that background throughout the game, to end with one of several endings that -while mostly sad- do have the potential to culminate your story in how you roleplayed V in your image, as in: how would I have walked through it.
Addemdum: Or alternatively, what I deffo would not do. ...Core point here: you choose a certain way of what your character represents and impose that set of rules on him/her.

My V, which I usually refer to as my Redhead and her corpo alter ego that I continually RP interchangeably are awesome.
While it does require your own brain to fill in some beats and tone my V was generally one I cared about and I don't see her as less than I would look at a Lara Croft or Sarah Kerrigan.
Similar to a Shepard my V (Callie) is a own-designed character that I was very much able to relate to and feel several emotions based on what was going on and how she reacted to them. (also well done there VA)
So: I think my V is awesome!

Last edited:
Top Bottom