What do you think Cyberpunk 2077's story is going to be about?

+
The following is a rough synopsis of what Cyberpunk 2077 could be about:

Year 2077...science has taken humanity forward changing the world around them. It i a busy, chaotic world with alot of neon lights, buildings and.. humans. Yes, humans are still humans despite all the those years. They are still desperate and quite disgusting at times.. and yet the world is just getting filled with more of them. Overpopulation and lack of natural resources. Add to that a nice chunk of robots that is actively competing to take over many people's jobs and you get the the tip of the iceberg as to why year 2077 wasn't nearly as perfect as people of past times would have predicted.

The rich are actively enjoying their 2077 utopia, living a prestigious life while showing total ignorance as to why those fools in the slums are so unbelievably imperfect. People from lower classes are no better at understanding others either. They see the rich as foolish perfectionists who have no idea what the real world looks like. The rich whocan't even comprehend how crime rates are higher than ever, neither do they understand the life of those ''fools'' who live on the streets, desperate to survive even if it means kicking taking eachother down. The rich who don't understand that those ''fools'' didn't really choose to be that way but rather ended there, in one way or another, forgotten in the dark alleys, hidden from the city's bright neon lights. The rich simply didn't understand that their 2077 paradise was nothing but a dystopia where millions of people where fighting to survive by pulling eachotherm down, by stealing from eachother and in some cases... by holding a gun.

Our main character is one of those survivors who live in the slums. Not a heoric survivor by any means but rather a heartless one. Someone who have seen the reality of year 2077. Someone who had decided to put everything behind and survive in this cruel world.. even if it meant holding a gun. Cyberpunk 2077 follows the story of a young man/woman through the city of neon lights. A story in which our ''hero'' evolves' from a rough semi-criminal
who values survival and money over everything else (as money is the only way to go up the ladder) to someone who understands what it means to be a caring humanbeing.. even if it is by a little bit.

''The premise of the story is to explore the meaning of being a humanbeing in a futuristic semi-dystopic world. Perhaps being a hero isn't about holding your weapon this time, but rather about putting it down. Being a hero maybe, at the end of the day, about having the courage to live a peaceful life with a smile, that could inspire others to try and live their lifes as well''. The main character is going to represent a relativly young person who tries to find his own identity, even if he doesn't realize the evolution of his character, until later stages.

Last edited:
I wanted to add something to "cops hate" discussion.
Guy from the trailer is (most probably) from psycho squad. They are not normal cops by any means, but a killer team for "neutralizing" cases of cyber psychosis. They are often on the edge of the same mental illness as their victims and therefore feared by other cops. Think of them as of Brazilian BOPE or executors from Psycho Pass.
There was a discussion long time ago about a lady from trailer being one of them. And the whole trailer being a retrospective vision of her arrest and job offer (prison or enlist choice).

PS. Is there a combat mechanic topic?

PS. Is there a combat mechanic topic?

Several that touch on various aspects of the potential combat mechanics ... point-of-view, FPS vs TB vs FPS with and without pause, realistic injury vs game type injury, realistic healing vs game type healing, first-person vs character skill based combat, etc. Just check for the specific aspect you're interested in.

Last edited:
The only problem there would be that playing pro Arasaka would be the only viable career option

How so?
Lots of Corps out there and some certainly oppose Arasaka. Plus of course you can always try playing all sides until forced to decide who to back, or refuse to back anyone and freelance. So you miss a few missions, that's the point. Try another character another time and not everything in the game will be the same.

It was a joke, but it is a concern. It's a ton more work and my concern is that we will end up with a New Vegas situation; wherein one faction is by far the better campaign and the other is a weak strawman villain

It was a joke, but it is a concern. It's a ton more work and my concern is that we will end up with a New Vegas situation; wherein one faction is by far the better campaign and the other is a weak strawman villain
Although you're right about the Legion being a missed opportunity, the NCR, House, and Wild Card were all good choices. You have to consider time constraints as well. Obsidian has stated that the Legion mostly ended up that way since they were working on a very tight schedule, something I doubt is happening with CP2077.

That's what writers get paid for.
Their job is to come up with an interesting and compelling plot and characters to interact with.

Ever watch a series called "Legend of the Seeker"? A rather loose adaptation of Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" series but one thing they got right was the villain. He honestly believed what he was doing would result in the greatest good for the greatest number, and was forced to adopt "The Ends Justify the Means" when his agenda was opposed. Don't get me wrong, he richly deserved a worse fate then the one he met but his essential motivation was one I could empathize with.

The typical children's story "evil" villain is at best humorous, and far to often boring.

---------- Updated at 06:51 AM ----------

Obsidian has stated that the Legion mostly ended up that way since they were working on a very tight schedule, something I doubt is happening with CP2077.

Nice to be able to set your own schedule and be willing to delay it if you don't feel your game is what it should be. Pity more companies don't have this luxury.

Faction allegiance need not be the point of the storyline like it was in Fallout New Vegas.

It could well be designed so that it is helpful for the goal of the storyline and can affect it in several ways, but is by no means mandatory, and going solo and never getting involved in faction politics (maybe never even getting acquainted with all of them) grants you a different experience and its own uniquely flavored ending for the story.

It could also be designed so that Arasaka is at the top of the foodchain but also suffering from an ever evolving internal conflict, a sort of umberlla faction under whose rule there are rivaling subfactions that the player (if s/he wishes) chooses the best to suit his own cause and from there affecting how things evolve under the umbrella and in Night City in general.

Faction allegiance need not be the point of the storyline like it was in Fallout New Vegas.

It could well be designed so that it is helpful for the goal of the storyline and can affect it in several ways, but is by no means mandatory, and going solo and never getting involved in faction politics (maybe never even getting acquainted with all of them) grants you a different experience and its own uniquely flavored ending for the story.

I liked Fallout New Vegas but I would probably still agree with what you said. I would add that an overly abundant list of faction stories could potential dilute one good main story.

I would also add that I hope this is made like Cyberpunk 2077 and not New Vegas.
If it were to bear a resemblance to another game then I would say take some cues from Witcher 3.
The Witcher has always struggled to stay neutral.
Likewise, I imagine a Max Tac Agent must struggle to remain neutral.
In Witcher the hero did his business while Nilfgaard, Redania, Velen, Scoa'tael, Northern Kingdom, etc all try to destroy one another and he never got involved between any of the powers that be.
Enter Cyberpunk, maybe we will see a Max Tac agent contending with stupid crap the mega corporations all do. He or she never takes sides but obviously the superiors do and it pulls you along in the story of how you have to clean up the mess afterward. The Witcher and Max Tac agents don't seem too different in some ways if you can get past looking at the two swords on one characters back.

Last edited:
What do I think it will be about?

The character will have to expose/fight some sort of corporate corruption that threatens the livelihoods/lives of the "little people".

What do I want it to be about?

It's an RPG ... the sky ... hell it's Cyberpunk 2077 ... space ... is the limit.
If this is the case, I hope that when we start the game, this company is very small, and we see it grow over time while we decide whether to help it our fight it.

If this is the case, I hope that when we start the game, this company is very small, and we see it grow over time while we decide whether to help it our fight it.
Nawww ... it'll be some megacorp we have no hope against. That's kinda the point. Gathering information and recruiting allies so we can (hopefully) take on "The Man".

Mega-corporations and big business is a CONVENTION of the dystopian genre. It's not a storyline. It's a GIVEN. The story will most likely centre around what ROLE that big business will play. It would be interesting to play an ex-employee gone rogue scenario. You learn their secret plans by accident, you need to side with the enemy but they won't take you so you need to find/establish another faction, you're forced to live as a rogue and undergo terrible changes, you make new friends and new enemies. That sorta thing.

I hope that the main story (amongst various subplots) will be a personal vendetta against a particular person (killer of the loved ones or the one that inflicted the injuries that made him a cyborg, ect), or finding a loved one that's gone missing, that sort of thing, that way evil goverments/corporations/crime syndicates can be around but never even attempted to be truly toppled.

(killer of the loved ones or the one that inflicted the injuries that made him a cyborg, ect)

There's no reason to assume that the player character is anyone special within the world of the game at the start of the game. The fact that we won't play a given character but one we design ourselves adds to that fact. He or she will be a nobody fighting against BIG odds.

We don't know wether it will be a character that has grown up in Night City - or maybe one who returns after years somewhere else (Which is what I suggested last year on my box design). Nor do we know what the initial (life) situation for the character will be.

I'd imagine that the starting point for the character isn't necessarily the same for every class. The story has to be thought through very well to justify a Corporate ending up in the same gutter where a Solo or a Rockerboy might have spent all his/her life. And what about Medias? Or Techies? Most classes have barely anything in common with the others, they are very specific. So I'd imagine that also shows in which part of the map each class starts. A bit like World of Warcraft you know - just in "good"?

The other option is of course that we all start at the same point with each class, but as I said, the story must justify that.
In The Witcher 3 it wasn't a problem as we all play the same Geralt. But here it is.

I also suggested last year or so that it is likely that some parts of the world are separated from others, just like in Witcher 3. You know, at the beginning you could start your search for Ciri in Skellige, but in order to get there you first have to do a big questline in Novigrad. Same goes for Velen. Luckily, CD Projekt's promise of a nin-linear story implies just that.

In Cyberpunk I'd love something like the Corporate area being separated from the filth of the rest of town by a river. With multiple bridges that are heavily guarded. That would add to the exclusivity of the area. You can't just get there at once, not without a tough fight (vs. robots, top-sec personnel). Perhaps you can sneak in through the sewers if you manage to swim through the river without being shot from the bridges.

Same goes for the Combat Zone which will likely be separated as well, so I guess it won't be one of or THE starting area. We are talking about places that require a high level to survive in.

Ahh I'm starting to drool again.

Last edited:
There's no reason to assume that the player character is anyone special within the world of the game at the start of the game. The fact that we won't play a given character but one we design ourselves adds to that fact. He or she will be a nobody fighting against BIG odds.

We don't know wether it will be a character that has grown up in Night City - or maybe one who returns after years somewhere else (Which is what I suggested last year on my box design). Nor do we know what the initial (life) situation for the character will be.

I'd imagine that the starting point for the character isn't necessarily the same for every class. The story has to be thought through very well to justify a Corporate ending up in the same gutter where a Solo or a Rockerboy might have spent all his/her life. And what about Medias? Or Techies? Most classes have barely anything in common with the others, they are very specific. So I'd imagine that also shows in which part of the map each class starts. A bit like World of Warcraft you know - just in "good"?

The other option is of course that we all start at the same point with each class, but as I said, the story must justify that.
In The Witcher 3 it wasn't a problem as we all play the same Geralt. But here it is.

I also suggested last year or so that it is likely that some parts of the world are separated from others, just like in Witcher 3. You know, at the beginning you could start your search for Ciri in Skellige, but in order to get there you first have to do a big questline in Novigrad. Same goes for Velen. Luckily, CD Projekt's promise of a nin-linear story implies just that.

In Cyberpunk I'd love something like the Corporate area being separated from the filth of the rest of town by a river. With multiple bridges that are heavily guarded. That would add to the exclusivity of the area. You can't just get there at once, not without a tough fight (vs. robots, top-sec personnel). Perhaps you can sneak in through the sewers if you manage to swim through the river without being shot from the bridges.

Same goes for the Combat Zone which will likely be separated as well, so I guess it won't be one of or THE starting area. We are talking about places that require a high level to survive in.

Ahh I'm starting to drool again.
Great ideas. Hopefully CP 2077 will be good. I like your idea of a combat zone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom