+

Which version of the song - Chippin' In - you like better

• both

• none

• i've made my own version of chippin'in which top these

• others (comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a post on this but I didnt find any so please link if there is. otherwise here goes nothing. which do you guys prefer?

otherwise just to remind those who have forgotten what it sounds like (yeah like anyone will) below is the 2 versions.

2018 Chippin' in - excellent cover by Miro Lozar seen in the 2018 cyberpunk video. We get to hear the song much clearly.

Miro Lozar Chippin' In Cover

2019 Chippin' In by refused

Refused Chippin' In

Me personally, I really loved the 2018 version. Its great for the lounge scene in the V apartment and I loved it overall for any scene. But I liked the refused version especially for action scenes and was really great like the Jhonny/Keanu moments, introducing cyperpunk logo etc. I know i'll play the 2018 version in my real life background while playing CP2077.
And to CDPR I still like the Refused version, just saying that the 2018 version shouldnt be discarded as theres alot of soul in that song.

Happy voting!

Yes. In case I haven't made it clear by now with dozens of posts, I consider 2018 version to be superior. Its puts me in the right mood.

While I have come to somewhat tolerate Refused, I can't call them good nor something I would be listening to for more than I am forced to. What I cannot tolerate AT ALL in the soundtrack are the rap elements. So far watching the night city wire and other official videos is like trying to watch my all-time favorite TV-show while someone is rubbing a turd to my face. I cannot ignore it and I am very conflicted.

Although I feel for you, CDPR has picked their Samurai sound. It's not my preferred chrome-rock sound, but it is theirs.

And that's fine.

For all the people that loved Samurai and/or Johnny in 2003-2020, of course there were many who did not. And so it will be in 2077.

Refused, like Johnny, are very good at what they do and create a particular sound. I am still interested in the music and Johnny's character through that music, even if I would prefer different music myself.

Lots and lots of tunes in Cyberpunk still to listen to, some no doubt reminiscent to the first Chippin' In - hard rock with a chrome edge.

Last edited:
I like them both, for different reasons. The 2018 version is just a fantastic song but doesn't really have that grungy punky feel to it, whereas the 2019 version does and it gets me pumped up and ready to crack skulls.

Lots and lots of tunes in Cyberpunk still to listen to, some no doubt reminiscent to the first Chippin' In - hard rock with a chrome edge.

I am really not hopeful though, due to the collection of artists CDPR has employed for this soundtrack. None of them have anything in their past portfolios that would be 'my thing'. It honestly seems quite biased and not varied at all.

I think this its a pointless thing to discuss. The old "version" was a 10 second clip thats will never come back, and cant even be regarded as a "version" imo. I think the clip heard was most likely the entirety of what they had at that point. Edited to fit into the gameplay as a teaser.

Its like the fpp vs tpp debate, except there is even less debate to be had(, and its already been had). Its purely preference and the decisions been made.

Keive

Forum regular
I actually prefer the 2019 version much much more. I didn't like the 2018 much at all, but I wonder why they choose that when so many people liked 2018's better?

Guess it might have fit the vision more.

Old version sounds like something my dad can listen to while Refused does sound more punkish and raw. Personally, I never really liked Refused music, but I can understand this move. Samurai in this world, as I understand it, is not a pop-rock band and should not be liked by a wide audience.

Prefer the newer version way more as to me it fits the more rebellion and anti-corp nature of his character. And something that would be used to fuel people to attack Arasaka tower.

Not that i dislike the old version of Chippin in, it seemed more chill and something that maybe i'd listen to more on usual basis, but i think with story context and in gameplay Refused's music make much more sense.

At the end of the day the music is there for world building and not all type of music will suit everyone's preference.

Refused is not one of my favorite bands. Frankly I absolutely dislike their sound but I can live without the 2018 version and I hope we get some badass original scores other than Refused. Out of the 4 released songs, I thought I would like at least one but alas...

What was the sound designer thinking?...

Samurai in this world, as I understand it, is not a pop-rock band and should not be liked by a wide audience.

Oh yes they are. From Rockerboy Magazine, circa 2013 describing their worldwide debut in 2003:
"It took Samurai only three
weeks to achieve number one on the
EuroRadio charts with their single,
“Blistering Love.” The album followed
suit two weeks later, one of
the few times a debut album was to
achieve such status in such a short
time.”

Samurai was -the- megaband of the early 2000s. Johnny and Kerry followed up in separate acts by being -the- megastars for the next decade or so.

As of 2013 charts:

EURORADIO
TOP 10
Weeks on Charts
*=First Week
1. Johnny Silverhand - Never Fade Away 18
2. Kerry Eurodyne - Holdin’ On 12
3. Lost Boys Back - From Nowhere 7
4. Cutthroat - Kalakari 4
5. Artificial Kids - Hand Of Fate 9
6. Blackheart - Blast Off *
7. Brutus Backlash - Little Sister 11
8. Sarah O Conner - Loving At the Speed of Light 3
9. Pipin’ Hot - You Said You’d Never Leave *
10. Destiny - Song For John (50 Years) 9

In 2020, popularity remains, with Kerry touring worldwide and being protected by Morgan Blackhand. Johnny had a weee bit of hiding after he attacked Arasaka Tower, but he remained super-popular musically.

In 2077, Kerry still has a mansion in North Oaks. Johnny...seems to be in your head?

They are kind of an Ozzy Osbourne/Eric Claption/Beatles thing. Genre-defining even after separation. And very very popular.

Last edited:
As of 2013 charts:

EURORADIO
TOP 10
Weeks on Charts
*=First Week
2. Kerry Eurodyne - Holdin’ On 12
3. Lost Boys Back - From Nowhere 7
4. Cutthroat - Kalakari 4
5. Artificial Kids - Hand Of Fate 9
6. Blackheart - Blast Off *
7. Brutus Backlash - Little Sister 11
8. Sarah O Conner - Loving At the Speed of Light 3
9. Pipin’ Hot - You Said You’d Never Leave *
10. Destiny - Song For John (50 Years) 9

Wow I'd be blown away if CDPR have this many bands going for cp2077 on release

I love 2018 version way more than 2019 but i understand why they went with the latter, its more punk and rebel like which fits Johnny more.
Still i hope to god they bring that version back in some form, maybe as a cover from some new band in 2077.
They really went full-on hardcore Punk with the SAMURAI which will be divisive, but i personally see it more as a storytelling tool of sorts and it fits.

Last edited:
The 2018 version has a sweet touch when it comes to the refrain and the music around the refrain.
It IS hearth punding and mood setting.
However so far Refused did a sweet piece of work.
The trance of their "Chippin' in" is a call for war, raise your fists, nod your head, chug your beer and crash the can under your boot feel.

And "Never Fade Away"?
Envision "Keanu Silverhand" facing the neon stroboscope painted whirling mashpit unfurling at the crying of the guitars.
A hardcore passion brought to life. These guys are all collaborating to bring some real moving and deeply extatic sh!t to our screens. And I am talking about the whole game.

They ARE chippin' in me chumbas, chippin' in with all that they have!

frag it mycomp is running out o charge

EURORADIO
TOP 10
Weeks on Charts
*=First Week

The refused sound does not really represent a song that would top the charts though. On average charts like these are dominated by pop music (which is where the term comes from, pop='Popular music')

While I can imagine that Samurai/refused could get a cult following in specific groups of the cyberpunk world, particularly if their lyrics 'exposed' corporations (current lyrics don't, btw). Idea that they would top any charts is quite unbelievable. That is the sort of claim you can put in your RPG sourcebook, since everybody can only imagine what the song sounds like. When you actually have to create the song in the real for purposes of a video game, weeeeelllllllll....... Things are different.

(Lets not forget that Pondsmith originally based his idea of Johnny Silverhand on David Bowie from the Labyrinth. Quite a leap from a "punk")

Last edited:
The refused sound does not really represent a song that would top the charts though. On average charts like these are dominated by pop music (which is where the term comes from, pop='Popular music')

While I can imagine that Samurai/refused could get a cult following in specific groups of the cyberpunk world, particularly if their lyrics 'exposed' corporations (current lyrics don't, btw). Idea that they would top any charts is quite unbelievable. That is the sort of claim you can put in your RPG sourcebook, since everybody can only imagine what the song sounds like. When you actually have to create the song in the real for purposes of a video game, weeeeelllllllll....... Things are different.

(Lets not forget that Pondsmith originally based his idea of Johnny Silverhand on David Bowie from the Labyrinth. Quite a leap from a "punk")

I could imagine "Never Fade Away" ruling the pop charts. It's rather catchy and melancholic.
Edit: "the one interpreted by Refused that is."

Last edited:

Different world, though. Different times.
1996:
  • The collapse of the United States. This took years - the Gang of Four wasn't kicked out until 2004, a year after Samurai hit the charts - and killed roughly 100 MILLION people, dispossessing 50 million people.
Population Post Collapse 2020 USA.JPG

2000:
- Wasting Plague hits U.S. and Europe. Millions die.
2003:
  • Second Central American war. U.S. invades Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela. The war is a disaster
Yes, Johnny and Kerry fought in this one. They went from the War to being Rockstars realllllly quickly.

2004:
- First Corporate War begins. EBM attempts hostile takeover of financially crippled Transworld Air. Orbital Air enters conflict in September as major player, bailing out Transworld Air.

Homeless numbers ebbed and flowed in the US, but in 2004, they were 70 million. 70 million homeless.

Nomad Population.JPG

So when Blistering Love hit the charts, you've had the Collapse, killing 100 million in the USA and devastating the economy and power structure worldwide. You've had mass dispossession of people, climbing to 70 million by 2004. You've had the Gang of Four running things in the US and in Europe and the US, a Wasting Plague that killed millions, then the first Corporate War.

Very very different times. Look at how our society has changed from the relatively minor (compared to hundreds of millions) deaths and dispossessions in just the last 20 years.

Now make it 100 times worse, and in seven - 7! - years.

I find it believable the music,movies, fiction, everything would be quite different than what we are used to, yes.

That said, I still think Samurai and Johnny and Kerry are more chrome-rock than screamo-hardcore. But, that's me and I don't live in their world. Thankfully. Yet.

Top Bottom