What Do You Think of The Scenes?

+
Greetings, all!
Here's a thread where people may discuss and post opinions on the scenes from the Journeys.

To start, what do we make of this amusing little vignette from Journey V: The Tale of Triss by Condwiramurs ?
ToTbC 2.jpg

As always, previous scenes and tales may be found here.

One thing I don't like about these illustrations is that we get almost no background about what they want to depict. I guess it shows kids fooling around, you know, kids being kids and Triss being cute when she was a kid.

It also shows that unlike Yennefer, Triss seems to have had a normal childhood and was loved by her parents. I guess that she chose to become a sorceress rather than someone making this decision for her, like it was in Yen's case.

I like this obscure aspect of the illustrations, especially since I haven't played any of The Witcher games or read the books, they give me general guidelines to divine the relationship between the characters and subtle personality traits. I did see the Netflix show, but I won't base actual Witcher knowledge off of that.

Also, I enjoy the drawing style and the hazy old paper background.

One thing I don't like about these illustrations is that we get almost no background about what they want to depict. I guess it shows kids fooling around, you know, kids being kids and Triss being cute when she was a kid.
I can understand that. Indeed, this scene seems to leave some room for interpretation, as I don't remember any particular episode from the books or games related to it. Personally, I like to think, perhaps, that the young Triss has here just kissed -- or suggested to kiss -- this largish frog, much to her playfellows' disgust.
It also shows that unlike Yennefer, Triss seems to have had a normal childhood and was loved by her parents.
Contrast, I'd say. They reached their destinations by different paths.
I did see the Netflix show, but I won't base actual Witcher knowledge off of that.
Yen's journey scenes were inspired by events (and clues) from the original books of Andrzej Sapkowski. Moreover, both Triss' and Yen's journeys are portrayed as a series of visions dreamt by the sorceresses Condwiramurs Tilly, and Nimue verch Wledyr ap Gwyn, whose researches in oneiromancy are described throughout the Lady of the Lake.

If you get a chance, I recommend giving the books a read. (Details.)

I can understand that. Indeed, this scene seems to leave some room for interpretation, as I don't remember any particular episode from the books or games related to it. Personally, I like to think, perhaps, that the young Triss has here just kissed -- or suggested to kiss -- this largish frog, much to her playfellows' disgust.

Contrast, I'd say. They reached their destinations by different paths.

Yen's journey scenes were inspired by events (and clues) from the original books of Andrzej Sapkowski. Moreover, both Triss' and Yen's journeys are portrayed as a series of visions dreamt by the sorceresses Condwiramurs Tilly, and Nimue verch Wledyr ap Gwyn, whose researches in oneiromancy are described throughout the Lady of the Lake.

If you get a chance, I recommend giving the books a read. (Details.)

I haven't read the books either, although I was tempted several times to buy them. I watched the Netflix series but wasn't that impressed with it. [...]

I am wondering if all this info is cannon though. There is not much info on Triss as a child and her time in Aretuza available on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering if all this info is cannon though. There is not much info on Triss as a child and her time in Aretuza available on the internet.

Neither netflix or cdpr story is canonical. However - cdpr is much more faithful to the general feel of the books. There is not much about Triss in the books. It`s a side character, but not that developed like Cahir or even Calanthe. CDPR made Triss as she is usually presented now.

Here's another interesting detail:
ToTbC 6.jpg

I think the date may be off a bit (by two years?), but it looks as though Triss is here shown as an observer, when Geralt met Foltest about his cursed daughter, Adda.

Merely going to comment of the slight difference in style seen here, and that, in my opinion, the scene would be more striking with a higher contrast of light and shadow. Unfortunately, the fire of their spells becomes rather lost on the parchment.
ToTbC 11.jpg

And, for those who mayn't recognise this one, or wonder what it's doing in Triss' Journey, the scene is from The Witcher, the first game, when Geralt and Triss looked quite a bit different from today:
ToTbC 12.jpg

Geralt and Triss Witcher 1.jpg

In general, I really like the idea of Triss's journey and how the events are decorated on parchment. But the only thing that puzzles me is that the dates are set incorrectly. In the book «Blood of the Elves» it is said that Triss was born 50 years after the siege in Kaer Morhen. I quote: «But I, little Ciri, do not recognize collective responsibility, I do not feel the need for repentance on the occasion of an event that took place half a century before my birth». The siege took place in 1175-1178. I was also confused by the fact that the Gwent says that Triss studied at Aretuza, although the book repeatedly says the opposite. I even wrote my own topic about all this, I hope it will reach the developers.
1221, Year of birth.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom