What does the community think of the idea of having a monthly fee version of Gwent?

+

What does the community think of the idea of having a monthly fee version of Gwent?

• Yes, its a great idea to have a monthly fee version of Gwent, as well as the free2play version

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • No, its a terrible idea stick to the current micro transactions version only

Votes: 51 92.7%

• Total voters
The only thing i want to happen with this game, when this game gets shut down like all mmo games does in the future, they make this game offline playable, because it does have a single player content. I would hate to see this game die off years from now and not turn into a offline client. Nightbanes was my favorite ccg game, and the devs didn't care, they just shut down the game and disappeared.

about the only way it would work is if it just gave you extra rewards/kegs.
the value they can get out of players selling kegs and even keeping them on the FTP treadmill is much greater than a fee for full access to the entire library... it wouldn't represent a better value to CDPR

I think one solution would be to give all the initial leaders for free, make them unable to be scrapped, and also give the 200 value in scraps when you get them.

I say this because any slightly smart person who starts the game will notice that scrapping everything makes you capable of getting the 3.000 or so value you need to make a deck.

This is a really huge mistake once you start understanding the game, because in the future you will get other cards and will want to do different stuff, and scrapping 10 leaders amounts to getting 8000 scraps back, wich is a really, really huge amount of time and kegs.

I want to think this isn't an intended move by CD Projekt because I deeply respect them, but I fell for it and many other people fall for it too. It makes sense, you start playing and start understanding the game, then you notice your vanilla Triss and Geralt are worth nothing, that you are somehow capable to create the rares, silvers and commons, but that you also need those 4 specific golds that amount to 3.200 scraps.

Those 3.200 scraps are huge. Anyone would be baited into scrapping the initial leaders to get a decent deck as soon as possible. I understand this is kind of merciful from CD Projekt, since they give you the option of sacrificing stuff in exchange of other stuff, but a player that is starting to play the game has no idea how important those leaders will be in the future, when they start getting actual cards and want to try out other factions.

And of course, milling all the leaders at the start to get a Tier 1 deck is by no means a perfect move. You are going to get a ton of value because with a decent game you will get season and ranked lvl up rewards that will give you free stuff and more kegs, but the moment the metagame shifts and everyone mandrakes that nekker deck that could beat every other noob, you notice you've been left with nothing.

Patches are not perfect either. Usually you get a ton of value from the full refunds, but only if you are good managing your collection. If you instantly mill everything you don't need from kegs, and the golds from other factions different than yours, you might find that at after the patch you milled golds for 200 value that got nerfed and could have gotten 800 value instead.

And it's really hard to hold onto those extra-useless copies when you need stuff to complete your deck. Specially when you are a noob.

I've been playing for more than a year and I have from 3 to 6 copies of every rare card, but I never mill them even if I need them, because I know the smart move is waiting for the next balance patch.

Balance patches are a great way to increase your collection and eventually convert junk into cards you actually desire to play.

Problem is no one tells you that. You learnt it with patience and time. I remember when I milled all ther other faction leaders I didn't like or deemed useless, and two months laters I found myself wanting to try new decks and strategies and had to pay 4x the value I milled them for just because I was desperate at the start.

Conclusion : I really think CD Projekt has to increase the amount of stuff you get at the start, or give you a variety of choices to choose from.

PD1 : Gwent is still much more playable than Hearthstone, and you get a lot more of value.
PD2 : Gwent is till on the the beta phase. When we get the full release, we might find a solution to this kind of problems.

Hellsmoke77;n10399852 said:
It's either buy 500 kegs at a ridiculous price or suffer with a noob deck and that's not what I consider fun so SOMETHING has to be done. The prices are too high and the rewards are way too low, if the next update doesn't blow me away and surprise me I'm finding another game to spend my time and money on. This is not some rage threat or anything I love this game and I'm trying to give feedback because I want to be able to play it but not like this.

I'm not spending hundreds on cards.

Hellsmoke77, I like your posts, so don't take this personally, but I think your line of reasoning is moot for those who play Gwent for even three months. If one is playing 10-12 games/day (not hard to do), it's too easy to eventually get to that point where one has an a$$load of scrap and barrels, without spending a dime. Even if one's goal is to collect every card, it's something that's reasonably achievable with just casual time commitment. (For me, that's 1-2 hours/day) Of course, that method may take a couple of years to effect a full collection, but still.. not bad. And why would one need a full collection in a specific time-frame, anyway?

Ic3Purple;n10400902 said:
When you say new account, you omit some important details. A new account, intended as new player in the game. And that is somebody who has no idea YET of what a competitive deck is, unless he/she spent/dedicated/invested a certain amount of time (not small to figure out it).

I begun to play GWENT few days before Midwinter update. First, I was forced to craft 1 of the leaders I needed for the deck I decided to invest, which turned out to be a bad investment that time. And soon I realized that in the game, there were so many more advanced decks compared to the one I got (as you say competitive) just buy completing the challenges and mini quest.

That statement doesn't get close not even an inch to the reality. If you wanna play competitive, after 2 years the game is OUT, you gotta open your wallet, or you give up your real life for some weeks. But don't tell me that the starting decks are competitive, that's an insult to my intelligence.

I'm currently R20, but i thrown 60+ bucks to play "competitive", plus so many hours of studying the game and cards. And this is exactly what I call, pay to win.

No you don't.. all you need to do is play casual (or even ranked) for a few months to build up scrap and barrels. Haven't spent a dime on the game, and am reasonably competitive.

Last edited:
sorry but i got rid of that kind of ideas. every f2p game has their players who are crying that the content is not free enough.

rule no1 my parents teached me ..... nothing, absolute noting in your life will be for free, is something for free dont trust it.

second: cdrp is also a company who tries to earn money like any other company on this planet ... and they know best which paying model they prefer, they dont need advise from kids

hearthstone is one of the most expensive card games and the fanboys still pay. so for god sake, why should cdrp should be more generous? they are very generous already.

lots of the players demand that 100s of people in a company should work for free so they can have fun ... disgusting

when i started to play i have bought 120 kegs to have a good start, and i dont regret that i gave something to cdrp for their hard work

if somebody looks for a free game, he should play tetris or something similar ... and i bet even there they find something to rant about

Last edited by a moderator:
no thanks, then gwent will be really p2w.
if the devs really want money, make whole competitive deck available with meteorite powder :) that maybe

Horrendous, horrible, hideous idea. There's a reason nobody else has done it. The biggest is simply that subscription services don't produce much money, compared to almost every other model, unless you get MASSIVE signups. Take the WWE; the WWE network has been a money loser since its invention and only started properly turning profit recently, and that profit is STILL lower than back when every major event was Pay Per View. Netflix only produces massive cash because everybody and their dog is signed up.

The players who would sign up to this theoretical subscription service are players like me, who are perfectly happy to sink the odd £20 in to get kegs and acquire cards that way. In no world would a subscription service not be a saving to me. Ergo, a loss to CDPR.

The game is very generous as it is. It doesn't need to worry about its pay model. It just needs to be a better game.

Funky69;n10417212 said:
if somebody looks for a free game, he should play tetris or something similar ... and i bet even there they find something to rant about

Tetris! Let me tell you about Tetris! It's too "blocky" and slow.. and I think the shapes to which each piece fits is too boring. Furthermore, I think the developers of Tetris should give me some kind of compensation for grinding each day, and make the graphics more colorful. The colors are so dull! Furthermore, Tetris is.. (*&^ **&^

Void_Singer;n10402152 said:
about the only way it would work is if it just gave you extra rewards/kegs.
the value they can get out of players selling kegs and even keeping them on the FTP treadmill is much greater than a fee for full access to the entire library... it wouldn't represent a better value to CDPR

I recognise that you made a typo in saying players selling kegs, as you meant players buying kegs... however in regards to players selling items, that potentially is a way for CDPR to also make money.

One could say that Hearthstone and Gwent have been modelled upon the card game Magic: The Gathering. With regards to Magic cards many of them are highly collectable and some of them are worth considerable sums of money.

If CDPR was to model themselves further on Magic, whereby cards have a finite time span for being released and or crafted (or perhaps certain cards cant be crafted). Alternatively if instead of nerfing cards players were allowed to keep them as they were originally released, but CDPR were to no longer make available further copies of the card... then...

If they were to allow players to sell and / or trade cards, this would create a value system for individual cards. How CDPR could make money out of this could be that trades or sales have to go through a marketplace site which they create and either it could take a % commission if sold or could require a player to purchase some sort of trading tokens, if traded.

Philologus;n10420612 said:
Tetris! Let me tell you about Tetris! It's too "blocky" and slow.. and I think the shapes to which each piece fits is too boring. Furthermore, I think the developers of Tetris should give me some kind of compensation for grinding each day, and make the graphics more colorful. The colors are so dull! Furthermore, Tetris is.. (*&^ **&^

ok ok i will find a game for you too ..... how about pac man? easy to learn

Funky69;n10429672 said:
ok ok i will find a game for you too ..... how about pac man? easy to learn

It's too difficult. Pushing stick left/right/up/down requires too much skill.

I like Rock Paper Scissors.

With the way things have been going lately, this would just finish the game off.

In any case, bad idea. New players are at a disavantage already. (Not having good cards to go against vets). Add a literal pay-to-win scheme that gives advantage to players who subscribe to a service and you've got yourself a divided community, of an already diminishing player base.

Last edited:
Philologus;n10430182 said:
It's too difficult. Pushing stick left/right/up/down requires too much skill.

I like Rock Paper Scissors.

Hey dude, I know you post a lot in the forums and frankly I don't blame you as posting in the forums is more fun than playing the game at the moment (I had better not say that too often though as otherwise CDPR might start making forum posts into a micro transaction site as well) . But I didn't previously realise that you like rock, scissors, paper... surely from that perspective hasn't the game improved?

Previously the game required skill, but that was well a long time ago, as CDPR's Christmas present (mid-winter update) to the 4 year olds of this planet (who have access to their parent's credit cards) was to transform Gwent into a Disney game of chance.

I guess as a community, we shouldn't be so critical of CDPR, after all they are a commercial company out to make money. One has to remember there are a lot of parents out there who have credit cards... this demographic is more likely to spend money on nagging kids... and as kids begin to recognise that the rock, scissors, paper game mechanics can easily beat the smart adults who rely upon the unfair advantage which skill and strategy gives them... then CDPR reaps the rewards as parents fork out to keep their kids happy

Last edited:
I play maybe an hour a day. I did spend some money mostly during the mid winter packs. I have nearly a complete set with close to 20'000 scrap waiting to be milled. I could create every card I'm missing but I like to save for full mill days during updates..as crappy as kegs can be this is how card games are. You buy booster packs. Did that back when magic the gathering was out. I wouldn't be down for a monthly fee version. You ll get cards in no time and I never had to mill my whole starter decks either. Maybe things are different now but when I started playing I was matched against similar players who played the starter decks. I think the community would get split and people would want constant new cards to warrant the monthly fee which would break the game even more with balancing issues

Jezaboom2;n10432162 said:
Hey dude, I know you post a lot in the forums and frankly I don't blame you as posting in the forums is more fun than playing the game at the moment (I had better not say that too often though as otherwise CDPR might start making forum posts into a micro transaction site as well) . But I didn't previously realise that you like rock, scissors, paper... surely from that perspective hasn't the game improved?

Previously the game required skill, but that was well a long time ago, as CDPR's Christmas present (mid-winter update) to the 4 year olds of this planet (who have access to their parent's credit cards) was to transform Gwent into a Disney game of chance.

I guess as a community, we shouldn't be so critical of CDPR, after all they are a commercial company out to make money. One has to remember there are a lot of parents out there who have credit cards... this demographic is more likely to spend money on nagging kids... and as kids begin to recognise that the rock, scissors, paper game mechanics can easily beat the smart adults who rely upon the unfair advantage which skill and strategy gives them... then CDPR reaps the rewards as parents fork out to keep their kids happy

Wow.. from this perspective, everything is okay. I think you're right: the evolution of Gwent should continue to suit children and those with shorter attention spans, who like shiny objects.

Since playing Gwent, my intellectual capacity has halved, and my attention deficit has increased..

wait.. what was I doing? Oh yea..

Thank you, sir. Thank you for letting me see the positive aspects of Gwent!

Now, let me see if I can remember the way to the bathroom, in my 50 square foot apartment.

edited to add: By the way, I am not paying your post micro-transaction bill. It's $0.50 per post. There is also extra charge for taking too long to write the post, so please try to write as if you are on Twitter. Short posts that are superficial.

Now.. where am I, again? What day is it?

Last edited:
Apologies if someone has said it already, but the chief problem with a subscription system in this instance is that it will most likely be taken up by those who would spend the most on kegs now, so CDPR is really just undercutting themselves. Not that I really like the gambling aspect of the current setup either.

CelebrityGamer;n10402082 said:
The only thing i want to happen with this game, when this game gets shut down like all mmo games does in the future, they make this game offline playable, because it does have a single player content. I would hate to see this game die off years from now and not turn into a offline client. Nightbanes was my favorite ccg game, and the devs didn't care, they just shut down the game and disappeared.

Yeah I hope they do that down the line.

But much more than that I hope Gwent lives a long life. The only CG that I actually enjoy and currently one of my favorite games. I hope it'll be as big as Hearthstone one day.

And I think it's ok

If it would help some1 to test the game, instead of grinding cards - it's definitely fine

If it would help devs to fill their pockets, instead of forcing us to salt gold for new seasons unbalanced cards - it's 100% fine

They have to eat, if the only way they can get money - f2p players like me, who prefer to get one-few decks and just store barrels, then why not?

If people want to waste their money on some decks or metas - let them

You need just week or two, to get deck you want for the season ladder

Again, devs need to eat, and if devs wouldn't got money (food), the game would be closed

Like Paragon, like Scrolls, Ghost in the Shell, SuperNova, DawnGate...

Devs, need, to, eat

And even if some new guys would come and rent ALL cards for few bucks per month, so what?

You got your decks, just beat em (if you are not a crying losers... Aren't you? =)

Devs get money - Devs making the game

No money - no game

Top Bottom