What does your Nick Name mean?

+
What does your Nick Name mean?

Hello there, witchers.A wellknow member of this forum (Corylei... Coryla... Corylaba, something like that) gave me the idea of this thread.As the title states this is about Nick Names and the reason or meaning why one choose them.I'll guess I should be a example and start off.Back in the days, such as 2000 (near there), I finally had some Internetacces and thus, as I was and am a gamer, needed a Nick Name and a Emailaddress so I could register in a Forum.One of the first things that came to mind was somehing as to Raven. As this is overdone I changed it to Silver and for unknown reasons added a The to it. Viola!That, basically, was it.Now I am curious, what were your reasons?

hmmm ... i guess most people assume that i just eat my poor gaming husbands, one after the hapless other ... but really, it's closer to being my poor, long suffering husband who has been widowed by my gaming, and wiki-ing, and moderating ... hmmm, i should make sure he's still here ... :)

TheSilver said:
One of the first things that came to mind was somehing as to Raven. As this is overdone I changed it to Silver and for unknown reasons added a The to it. Viola!
Or "The" is your given name and "Silver" is your family name. We'll call you "The" when we're friendly and "Mr. Silver" when we're formal. :)Quoth The Silver: "This Raven sh*t is overdone."

V, have you played a text adventure game called Ad Verbum? I think you might be a natural for it: http://www.mit.edu/~montfort/adverbum.html

For the meaning of my nickname you should check the dictionary of Elvish language in "Silmarillion" by J.R.R.Tolkien ;)

Something like "Silent Shadow"?Dae meaning shadow and dîn silent. The 'r' is hard to place though and is it din or dîn? Din and Daer do not seem to be in the dictonary.

nimue

Forum veteran
Nimue is taken from the Arthurian legends, although exactly who the character is depends on which version you read. In many versions it's the name of the Lady of the Lake, in others Nimue is just a minor character and the Lady is called something else. Oh, and don't even get me started about Tennyson
If I read the wikipedia article correctly, Sapkowski used the name as well, though whether for the Lady herself or someone else isn't clear (get those novels translated already, will you?!). I didn't know that when I chose the name (I've been Nimue on various other places on the 'net before I ever knew about The Witcher), but if she is indeed the Lady, let me add that I disapprove of that hairdo ;)

Well Karmarapture is a contradiction of each meaning used as one word to make a name that describes the two sides of my personality.Plus it never came up on google LOL

TheSilver said:
Something like "Silent Shadow"?Dae meaning shadow and dîn silent. The 'r' is hard to place though and is it din or dîn? Din and Daer do not seem to be in the dictonary.
Have you checked 'er' ;)

what a nice spam-thread ;D love it :beer:well,my nickname is after reknown medieval longsword master. Meister Sigmund Ringeck. entry of his "Fechtbuch":Hie hept sich an die vßlegung der zedel, in der geschriben stett die rittelich kunst des langes schwerts, die gedicht vnd gemacht hat Johannes Lichtenawer, der ain grosser maister in der kunst gewesen ist - dem gott genedig sy. Der hatt die zedel laußen schryben mitt verborgen vnd verdeckten worten, darumb das die kunst nitt gemain solt werden. Vnd die selbigen verborgnen vnd verdeckten wort hatt maister

Spam thread? ;D I've seen worse... answers given like curtain fire with only a few words (spam ammo) within a few minutes. :dead:I think this thread here s quite interesting because you have to explain more (means: turn on your grey matter) and you even learn a bit about the person and the nick.I like the play of words when I create a nick. The German Petersilie is parsley in English. Peter is a firstname. Petra is a female first name. So Petra Silie is the sister of Peter Silie. But as I'm already known as Petra Silie in two other forums and I didn't want to create a new "Inet personality" I stayed with Petra Silie

Daerdin said:
Daerdin said:
Have you checked 'er' ;)
Well, 'er' is one or alone. So alone and silent. That leaves the Da as a beginning, the only similar one I can find is dae, but no da.I'm a little confused know...Is it Dae-r-din, or Da-er-din?

But wouldn't that be Daeerdin?Anyway, so it emans 'Shadow alone/one silent' or maybe the 'Silent Shadow One'?

TheSilver said:
But wouldn't that be Daeerdin?
It looks kinda strange, don't you think? ;)All in all it was supposed to be sth like "Silent lonely shadow". Anyway, you did a great job looking for it, so here's a little gift from me ;)

Top Bottom