What does your Nick Name mean?

+
I normally use the nickname Edi (a real life nickname) online. It seemed to be taken on these forums, so I took my fallback one and added the two rs to the end, which comes from a funny little round robin story I and some friends once wrote with our forum selves as characters.

Back around 1996, I was involved with an artistic forum, which focused on mythology. A challenge was issued for each member to find the myth that most defined who we were as a person. I chose Treasa, Queen of the Dryads. Her job is/was to ensure that all forest creatures are treated appropriately and not abused. In my spare time (ha!) I rescue animals- domestic and wild- and rehabilitate them.

Treasa said:
Back around 1996, I was involved with an artistic forum, which focused on mythology. A challenge was issued for each member to find the myth that most defined who we were as a person. I chose Treasa, Queen of the Dryads. Her job is/was to ensure that all forest creatures are treated appropriately and not abused. In my spare time (ha!) I rescue animals- domestic and wild- and rehabilitate them.
That's really cool! Thank you for rescuing animals.

"Fish throwaways" in Swedish. Why? Um... Started using it as "dummy" word in programming years ago, and then for different forums. Kinda stuck on me, plus that it's for some reason never taken when registering ;).

Mine should be familiar to anyone who has played/read something from the Planescape or at least Forgotten Realms setting. Planewalkers explore different planes of existence, finding portals that link from one to another. They map areas they traverse and catalogue new creatures encountered. I like to travel and get to know foreign cultures, so that's why I chose this nickname. :)

Mine's essentially really boring, especially when compared to some of the stories here. Some awesome nicks :) It's just my name's romanized form. Korean names' meanings are derived from the Chinese characters used to write that name in and mine means "vast capital". I guess my parents thought I would be important some day (or maybe I was important to them) and not a uni drop-out wasting his time in online fora talking about games instead of even just playing said games :D

HoKyung said:
Mine's essentially really boring, especially when compared to some of the stories here. Some awesome nicks :) It's just my name's romanized form. Korean names' meanings are derived from the Chinese characters used to write that name in and mine means "vast capital". I guess my parents thought I would be important some day (or maybe I was important to them) and not a uni drop-out wasting his time in online fora talking about games instead of even just playing said games :D
Maybe it's boring from your point of view but I find it quite extraordinary... maybe itt's because I live "on the other side of the globe" ;)

I love medieval names. My own nick is a modernized wersion of ancient name meaning roughly "trebly bold".

Mine's isn't as deep as some of others on here.Anyone who remember Ren and Stimpy should also remember the awesome superhero called "Powdered Toast Man"! He flew backwards!

PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
Maybe it's boring from your point of view but I find it quite extraordinary... maybe itt's because I live "on the other side of the globe" ;)
Surely not, unless you moved out of Germany. I'm in the UK, born in Korea, but grew up in Holland only _just_ across the border from you. Even took German for 6 years in highschool and used to be conversant if not anywhere near fluent :p Anyway, when I said boring, what I meant was my nick isn't really a nick, it's just my name.What's interesting actually is that whenever people realise I have an oriental name, the first thing they ask is "so what does your name mean". While there are quite a few western names with a meaning as well and nobody ever seems interested in those :)

I am a hunter. Some agree with it, and some don't. I was brought up doing it by my Father, and now hunt quite frequently with My Wife's father and brother.SIG970 is a type of hunting rifle. Sig made in Switzerland, SHR mean Swiss Hunting Rifle, and 970 is the model number. Mine is chambered in 30-06, a tried and true .308. I use leopuld scopes exclusively, because they are made in a plant 10 miles from my house, and their customer service is A+That's it.

All-a-Mort. According to the 1811 print of A DICTIONARY OF BUCKISH SLANG, UNIVERSITY WIT, AND PICKPOCKET ELOQUENCE by Captain Francis Grose, the term All-a-Mort means to be dumbfound, struck dumb or confounded. Now, other than a reference to my behaviour in presence of a winsome, buxom or comely lass, it is rather a joke, in that rarely, if ever, have I been a loss for something to say. I note that there is not a thread explaining avatars (for I do not doubt that these are frequently changed by the members of the forum) but I shall merely add that the scene of the Danse Macabre is a reference to my own musical tastes, that err towards subject matter unlikely to make the Top 40 of any popular music chart (unless you count Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 'Where the Wild Roses Grow' featuring Kylie Minogue, that somehow snuck through despite being about bashing a girls' head in with a rock. The exception that proves a rule, methinks.)

Back in 1998 when I was playing Ultima Online, I went through a whole slew of names for my different characters. Then one day I switched servers and joined a new guild. I felt that I needed a new name so I picked Suriana. I'm not sure why, I think it's the name of a very minor character in a book I read once, so it was tucked away in my subconcious. Anyways, due to various events it became more than a nickname, it was my entire online identity. I couldn't imagine being online, in any forum, game or chat room and not be Suriana.I feel as attatched to it as my real name, if that makes any sense at all.

Top Bottom