What don't you like about The Witcher 3?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
What don't you like about The Witcher 3?

I propose to discuss what you don't like in the game taking into account the available information.
Taking into account features I've assembled here it is possible to conclude the gameplay became more simple. As I suppose these things spoil the gameplay and makes it worse.

1. Campfires can be set fire anywhere without flint.
2. The horses are immortal.
3. The potions, the bombs and crossbow bolts are infinite.
4. Swallow potion is red in The Witcher 3. Why it should be red if it always have been cyan? Is it really made so even the most stupid gamer figured out it's a healing potion and not poison?
5. Witcher medallion shows up only during the fight. Earlier, it used to show up all the time, as well as warning about the monsters approaching.
6. The options in the dialogue menu don't match to what the witcher will say afterwards. Like in the Mass Effect.
7. There are no short lived sexual relationships as there were in the books. Serious romances only as there were in the Dragon Age.

I propose to discuss what you don't like in the game taking into account the available information.
Taking into account features I've assembled here it is possible to conclude the gameplay became more simple. As I suppose these things spoil the gameplay and makes it worse.

4. Swallow potion is red in The Witcher 3. Why it should be red if it always have been cyan? Is it really made so even the most stupid gamer figured out it's a healing potion and not poison?
5. Witcher medallion shows up only during the fight. Earlier, it used to show up all the time, as well as warning about the monsters approaching.
6. The options in the dialogue menu don't match to what the witcher will say afterwards. Like in the Mass Effect.
7. There are no short lived sexual relationships as there were in the books. Serious romances only as there were in the Dragon Age.

3. They aren't.
7. There are.

Last edited:
Ok,here are the stuff that bother me but I love almost everything I saw and heard

-crossbow seems to have too much recoil and it should work realistically and believably (like they designed most of the game), not shoot three arrows at once
-White trails in the air left by arrows
- Witcher sense "trails" are much too intrusive and distracting. They should tone them down a bit visually. They look like red blotches on the screen.
- I don't see a point of having both trails and a map marker leading to Johny's cave. Not everything needs to be handholding, if you implemented the trails we don't need a marker.
-I don't like the Crone's designs. They don't seem to visually fit in the game and distract too much, maybe they can tone them down in some ways? Concept art was way better.

Last edited:
I'm a little unsure about how this thread is meant to progress - we've already seen some points that are factually inaccurate (infinite potions/bombs/bolts), some points that may be inaccurate (trails and map marker) and opinions that duplicate discussions already being held in other threads (Crone design, witcher senses).

If the intention is to give feedback to the devs, then maybe it would be better addressed in individual threads for each issue, where there can be a discussion on it? A lot of the points raised already have such threads.

Maybe if we repeat ourselves more there's more chance someone will read it :p?
Sorry if I'm repeating some stuff I said...

Let´s not judge and wait for result. I don´t really know what I don´t like because somehow I didn´t play the game yet.

1.I don't like battle music comprised of wailing drunken swamp ladies. If there is no option to turn it off I will just play without music altogether or go insane listening to it.

2. I am still seeing Geralt "slide" on the ground somewhat when he is fighting (remember the awful sliding that comes with the third person view in the Oblivion and Fallout games?). His dashes are a bit off in that sense. I've never seen that in TW2 where his feet were glued to the ground the way real gravity works.
There is smooth transition in the batman games as you dash 10-15 feet to hit the guy. In the TW3 similar movement is still somewhat jerky. -

3. I don't like the bullet time for cross-bow aiming. Hopefully we can turn that off.

1.I don't like battle music comprised of wailing drunken swamp ladies. If there is no option to turn it off I will just play without music altogether or go insane listening to it.

After a few verses they really start overdoing the wailing. That sort of thing will get very tiring after the 50th time.

It would be nice if the music was easily moddable. For example, there could be a folder called "battle music" full of mp3 files, and you can just drop your own in if you want. I think I've seen games that let you do this. The advantage is that you can remove and insert at will. If you hate only one particular song but like the others then you'll get the experience you want after modding.

2. I am still seeing Geralt "slide" on the ground somewhat when he is fighting (remember the awful sliding that comes with the third person view in the Oblivion and Fallout games?). His dashes are a bit off in that sense. I've never seen that in TW2 where his feet were glued to the ground the way real gravity works.
There is smooth transition in the batman games as you dash 10-15 feet to hit the guy. In the TW3 similar movement is still somewhat jerky. -

3. I don't like the bullet time for cross-bow aiming. Hopefully we can turn that off.

1- Holy shit you just made me have an epiphany on why I hate that dash so much, thats IT!! He slides on the ground ALL THE TIME, if they made it an actual step back it would look really good.

2- I hate that damned crossbow, I hate it even more now that they call it the Gabriel, because In the books Geralt hated Gabriels and they are actually supposed to strapped to the wrist. But since CDPR has committed to it , I hope they would at least not make it kick like a sawed off shotgun and fire one bolt without magic trails

ps: Have they confirmed that Horses are immortal? If so then I hate that too

pps: So… yeah this thread should be called Hater's Thread

1- Holy shit you just made me have an epiphany on why I hate that dash so much, thats IT!! He slides on the ground ALL THE TIME, if they made it an actual step back it would look really good.

He's definitely not sliding. His feet definitely leave the ground, even if they don't leave it by much. It's most likely that because the animation is so quick, it tricks you and can give off the impression that he's sliding.

After seeing this extended footage it has become extremely clear that unless there's a moment in the game where the Crossbow is FORCED, we won't ever have to use it. Igni brought the harpies down, there's apparently an upgraded version of Quen which you channel and it brings down flying creatures when they run into it. I think there'll be enough flexibility. The Crossbow works and operates fine, and for those that want to use it, then go for it.

In regards to Horses, there was one interview where the Developer stated that, "Roach cannot die"... However there wasn't really enough clarity on it, I wouldn't take it as concrete information.

Well, I would hate horses being killable a la Skyrim. I got sick to death to loose my horses in the middle of the wilderness because of some dumb wolves. In TW3 the map is huge, and with dead horse I will be stuck. I don't want to use fast travel at all, and immortal horse is a nice compromise.

Although most of the animations were top notch, some of them looked a bit shoddy, particularly the crossbow animations. Aside from that? Well, it's pretty hard to complain about anything else other that I can't play it but I'm sure I'll find stuff to nitpick about when I actually get to play the game (I always do)

That I'm not playing it already, or at least that the Northern Winter will have blown over by the time I do get my grubby little mits on it ;)

What he said. And we have cold winters in the North. On the other hand it's only another six months. It feels as if last time I thought of it it was nine months to go. Next time I will think of this will be in the chilling winds of November. The thought of Witcher 3 in February will keep me warm then.

If I have to whine a little though, I guess it will have to be about the colour of Swallow potion just as OP mentioned. I love the devs, I really do, and will go with whatever they choose. But it feels like something you would add to accomodate for new players, the ones that only accept a health potion with no other colour than red. You know, because that is fantasy lore!!!!!!. A silly thought perhaps, but why change it after two games? I reckon the red(health?) and blue(mana?) potions in Dethmold's belt were Diablo reference enough. No need to implement it entirely just because it's an old reference from the good old days. I mean, I didn't react negatively when seeing Swallow potion the first time 2009. I didn't say "WHAT, they dare go against all fantasy references and lore!!?? I won't play this game, no Sir!"

Nor will I say that if they go about changing alchemy as we know it, as we learned to love.

In fact, all the devs did with Witcher 1 made me a very grateful player indeed and I'll support them to the end for that.

But I can lament the change a little can't I? So for me, swallow has been and will always be this colour:

or (the wiki actually has this picture. Whether Gadwall or Swallow I still prefer Witcher 1 alternative)

I prefer the one on the left, it really looks to emit the power of life, but that's all it is - preference.

Then again, much regarding potions and alchemy changed from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 as well. The devs merged Cat and De'Vries extract and took away my favourite potions of all: White Honey, Wives' Tears and last but not least White Gull and changed alchemy as we knew it.

I got over it. Not entirely of course, but it won't stop us from playing excellent games will it? And I'm sure Witcher 3 will be quite excellent in spite of this, or if crossbow bolts have white trail marks or what have you.

Last edited:
Another hibernator ! A Bear needs its Honey eh ;)

And the potion icons in TW1 were superior across the board, the details resembling decanters helped make the potions seems more ancient & significant to The Witchers, it definitely added to the whole ambience. Good points on the red vs blue thing too.

I don't like that a lot of combat animations look the same and that Geralt swings his sword almost all the time, we need more variation than that, but devs already confirmed that in the final game Geralt will have 92 new animations just for combat alone. So I guess I can't complain much.

Another thing - make transitions between the animations a lot smoother and fluid, it really needs more work and polish.

Last but not least - give us the ability to turn off those blue'ish and red'ish sword swing colours (for light attack its blue, for heavy its red) - I would like to immerse myself more into combat and play without those "indicators" that shows what attack you are performing.

Other than that, I can't wait for this masterpeace game!

-I don't like the Crone's designs. They don't seem to visually fit in the game and distract too much, maybe they can tone them down in some ways? Concept art was way better.

Oh wow I really hope you belong to a vast minority and CDPR wont listen to this. Their creature designs have been top notch so far, really convey the much needed atmosphere. The concept art looks much less grosteque and would definitely ruin the tension.

The music is what makes the demo awesome, but I do agree that they could tune it down a little bit.
I like the bullet time aiming, it only makes sense to at least have some advantage in term of speed when you play as a character with superhuman reflex

On topic, I feel the combat needs more fine tuning, but as someone said already, CDPR will do it so I'm not worried. Just by looking at this parry http://webmup.com/R8hh9/
I can say I totally trust them

I'm not sure how to feel about the immortal horse, maybe they should make it run away when it is attacked ?

Last edited:
- Crossbow shots were not very realistic in terms of physics.
- Jumping animations has some lag at times.

1. It's no a survival game and Geralt can create fire with his signs.
2. It's way more convenient this way, esp. since horse hosts additional inventory and is your transport mean, otherwise everytime there are enemies you would easily risk having it killed and I imagine it would get annoying if it happens often.
3. No.
4. Agreed.
6. They are a summary, presenting you the path you are taking and they can't show everything. So it's definitely the thing to do here. Besides I don't want to see a sentence than hear the exact same thing when I click on it. It's annoyingly redundant.
7. We don't really know at this point, or perhaps we do since someone else in this thread said yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom