What game are you currently playing

+
I didn't really find them hugely difficult... well, some were tougher than others, but anyways. More like frustrating and choresome.

I love how two people can take a bite of the same cake and have totally different reactions. :ROFLMAO: See, I mostly felt that boss fights on B&BB were spot on. Quick, brutal, and decisive. (As opposed to endless, boring button-mashing or full of sucker-punches and cheap deaths requiring reload after reload, breaking the pacing of the drama.) I tried DM once and got as far as fighting the gargoyle with Kiera...and I was like, "Nope."

If there were anything about the boss fights in TW3 I would do differently, it would be to tighten up the monsters' attacks to be more situational and less predictable. And also, the reason I mentioned the The Shrieker and Jenny are because I felt they were intrinsically flawed rather than unfair.
  • The Shrieker's dash-attack both strikes early and its range is way, waaay, waaaaaay beyond where it's actual character model is displayed. Plus, it does a ridiculous amount of damage if played at-level. Even if the quest is green, that attack can be a one-shot kill on Geralt. All of that combined made me do frown face.
  • Jenny's ability to basically full-heal if even one of her mirror images touches you was just annoying. This was definitely getting into the realm of frustratingly repetitive and trifling. My first time beating her, the single fight took about 45 minutes of real time from beginning to end (not counting all the countless times I had to reload and retry). I think they eventually did something to balance that a bit, but it was crazy at release. (Or bugged...who knows?) Either way, she still does that insta-heal thing if she lands one nick on Geralt.
Aside from those, two issues, nothing ever struck me as off-the-wall grindy or imbalanced (and that's saying quite a lot for a game this big). I did manage to get into a few situations where I just didn't have the level / gear to combat the thing I picked a fight with, but when I came back later (yellow / green) it was no sweat.

As for Cyberpunk, I was a little disappointed by the boss-fight against the mech-suit at the end of the original gameplay demo, but I felt the Sasquatch fight looked much tighter.

Getting combat "right" is hard. As we're exemplifying, there are a lot of different tastes out there. Hard to develop something that meets in the middle.

Point in case, and just to get this squarely back on topic, I'm presently playing Breath of the Wild, and I must say:

Combat in the game is the only thing I find to be a negative. I find it lack-luster, gimmicky, poorly executed in a few places (namely the way timed blocks and dodges work), am not loving how quickly weapons break (though, I must say I like that idea...even despite its flaws...as it means I'm constantly excited to find weapons and shields.) In short though, I feel it falls a bit flat compared to pretty much every other aspect of the game.

And, to be fair, it's not "bad" per say. I still have fun with it, but it just leaves me feeling disappointed or frustrated a large portion of the time. I usually enjoy situations when I can use the environment to take enemies out. It's when I need to draw a weapon and fight face-to-face with an enemy that I'm like: :facepalm:

To this day, I think Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalur have the all-round best combat systems (for swords and sorcery stuff), and Dragon's Dogma takes the cake for best boss fights ever. (The above focused on real-time, action-based combat.)

I love how two people can take a bite of the same cake and have totally different reactions. :ROFLMAO:

It is puzzling. Really.

See, I mostly felt that boss fights on B&BB were spot on.

I haven't encountered any on that difficulty yet (I always play first on normal...aside for famously easy games like Bethesda's), so I can not give an accurate opinion. But if the idea of difficulty is to increase enemy HP and done damage, I can't see it getting too different. Tougher, for sure. Since I'm not the most acrobatic actiong gamer and the bow/bomb mechanic was very cumbersome.

To this day, I think Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalur have the all-round best combat systems (for swords and sorcery stuff), and Dragon's Dogma takes the cake for best boss fights ever.

I never got into those games. Too fast, too messy... I always missed the sort of slowpaced, but extremely weighty and decisive combat of Risen (the first), perhaps it was also - for an action game - a tad rudimentary for the better of it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider. Nice graphics etc. but the QTEs are frustrating in that the hint at what key to press often does not appear before I've died a couple times. Also, info about some stuff like how to change ammo type seems only to be available on forums on the Internet.

Decided to give Darksiders 3 and The Last of Us a go until The Last of Us 2 comes out...that combat just looks so brutal and satisfying.

The Witcher3, Elder Scrolls Online, Warframe, Space Engineers, Black Desert, PlanetSide2, No Man's Sky, Fallout 76 and two Crowdfunders

I just started Witcher 3 Complete, and wondering why it took me so long to do this. I came for Cyberpunk 2077, I stayed for their other fine products :D

Have you ever played a game in a franchise while waiting for its upcoming sequel, only to find yourself getting slightly mad at it because it's not the upcoming game?

Welcome to my The Last of Us play-thru. :censored:

Dead Cells, and finally, Gwent. I played and loved Thronebreaker a while ago and it feels good to play what I think Thronebreaker was kind of a primer for.

Couple of months ago I started playing Mordhau, I managed to reach about level 64 and I accumulated about 300 hours in the game, eventually I got a bit burned out and quit. I started playing the Witcher series again, starting from the first game and now I'm on the second one. I completed Iorveth's path yesterday and now I'm doing Roche's path. I can't wait to get to the third one, even though I have replayed it for a numerous amount of times I still can't handle the anticipation.

Thankfully I'll take a huge leave from work right about when CP2077 releases and I'll play the shit out of that game too :p

I'm playing RDR2, already finished it and it made me want to revisit The Witcher forum. And here I am.

I still can't accept CDPR's decision to send us back in time to before the last battle, even until now. Now that RDR2 exists, they should have done it like Rockstar did with rdr2, they tie up every loose end and put some characters in the game world after we finish the storyline quests, with a bit of depth too. I won't spoil anything but that shld be enough. So the game still worth revisit after endgame.

I hope CDPR read this and won't repeat the same mistake with their next next game. I'm one of the MANY people that's very very disappointed with TW3's ending, err...not actually the ending, but how they wrap up everything after the story ends. I even hoped that they would surprise us with an ending update or even DLC, but that ship had sailed and long gone.

Top Bottom