What game are you currently playing

+
Trying to finish up my 2nd playthrough of Metro Exodus and then move on to The Two Colonels DLC.

Replaying TW3 at the moment, since I decided to permanently part ways with Steam and my expensive game library there. No more Total War until/unless they come to GOG.

Wow, thats a serious step. What is your reason behind this, spockprime?
An accumulation of little things and one big one.

Among the little things:
  • mystery updates that seem to have no function other than forcing me occasionally to go online to start games;
  • sometimes really odd behavior from the Steam spyware that makes me not quite trust it;
  • slow downloads (relative to many other sites), in spite of the massive cut that Valve gets from publishers that ought to allow them to have a super fast infrastructure;
  • minimal number of appealing new AAA games for which I can sort-of excuse a publisher for using Steam's DRM. The only AAA game on the horizon that remotely interests me is CP2077, which conveniently will be on GOG.
  • having to have the Steam spyware running even for older (> 4 or 5 years) AAA games for which there's no real excuse any longer for publishers to restrict to Steam DRM, but yet they still do it. E.g. the Total War games older than TW Warhammer, Football Manager pre-2019, X-Com 2 (although I have hope for that one), etc.
  • My Steam library is a sunk cost. The only thing that matters is whether there are still games in that library that I still play. There are, but they all fit into my big issue.
As for the big one, it's pretty straightforward:
  • I've decided that I'm simply not going to support any publisher who won't, after a reasonable time, put their products out free of DRM. Right now, DRM free means GOG, and I don't see that changing any time soon. All of the games I enjoy either are on GOG, or are from publishers who seem to have a policy of never selling their games DRM free.

Thus, Steam and all of its tendrils are now completely uninstalled (thank you IOBit) and I'm only playing games in my GOG library. I have several, but at the moment, it's Witcher 3. When I get bored with that, I'll probably move back to XCom 1, Pathfinder, or maybe even XCom 2 will be available by then.

I'm going through a bit of a "I don't know what I want to play" phase. There's nothing new I currently want to play so I'm trying to find something to replay but it's not working. I start up an old game, play it for a few days and then move on to another old game. So far I've played Kotor (didn't make it off Dantooine), Shadowrun-Dragonfall (only about six hours), Sleeping Dogs, (made it to the first meeting with Uncle Po) Prey (made it to the point where I could first escape but the game would end .. so sort of success?), Baldur's Gate (made it to Baldur's gate) and yesterday I started up Pillars of Eternity (and instead of actually playing the game I made a few watercolor portraits for pillars of eternity 2.)

...Kotor...

A treat of a game. I think it mostly holds up by today's standards in everything but graphics.

...Baldur's Gate...Pillars of Eternity...

BG 1 is enjoyable, but difficult to sell today. Rudimentary in almost all aspects by today's standards. I'd say that Pillars is the same idea with much more polish and balance. Plus, while nothing "wow", I feel the execution of Pillars was very good, and the story was intriguing. It simply lacked "impact" moments in the storytelling like The Witcher, Dragon Age, or Mass Effect. (Given the main themes of the game, that was quite surprising to me, really.)

Playing Heroes and Generals at the moment. Not bad at all. Certain bits could use some balance, and the shooting feels very "archaic", if still enjoyable. Anyone who played CoD 1 (2003) multiplayer will feel right at home. Sort of a grand return to the original MP idea, but on a huge scale. Needs more maps.

I've been playing the Zelda games on the Switch: Link's Awakening, Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild.

It's one of the best games speaking of story telling, graphics and content (side quests and things to do), but it also has a boring and repetitive combat system IMO.

I'm waiting for a sequel of Dragon's Dogma which is way better in the combat system, it's a must play.
Dragons Dogma had a magnificent atmosphere, beautiful music and amazing combat *_* But the graphics of the environments are quite bad for Switch standards... Looks hyrule warriors like...

Dragons Dogma had a magnificent atmosphere, beautiful music and amazing combat *_* But the graphics of the environments are quite bad for Switch standards... Looks hyrule warriors like...

And where is the multiplayer? I've never seen a game so sitting there, wearing a brightly colored T-shirt that reads: "I was built for cooperative multiplayer."
  • Non-linear plot elements.
  • Complementary character builds.
  • Cross-class skill synergy.
  • Bosses that all but require teamwork to defeat.
  • A story that advances only when the player elects.
  • The Rift literally = lobby for drop in / drop out gameplay.
  • Built-in crafting and gifting mechanic.
  • NG+++ect. playthroughs.
Hello? Hello, Instant Classic? Hello?

Aw...voicemail again...

Last edited:
Just got Arma 3 yesterday on steam lunar sale. Looks like "i'm gonna have me some fun" now.
I love this game! I spent so many hours in the Scenario Editor making new missions for me and my friend to play in coop :D

Top Bottom