What game are you currently playing

+
It was the last and final attempt to get into Planescape: Torment. Screw this "game".

Please, explain your sacrilege! Few are allowed to tarnish the name of one of the greatest games ever to have graced our unworthy lives. And we should be thankful we're living in a generation that can appreciate a full remaster with higher resolution and a better interface. So, explain your issues.

Please, explain your sacrilege! Few are allowed to tarnish the name of one of the greatest games ever to have graced our unworthy lives. And we should be thankful we're living in a generation that can appreciate a full remaster with higher resolution and a better interface. So, explain your issues.
The game just rarely builds up any intrigue. Side quests are chore most of the time. RPG mechanic is barely there outside alignment system and if you want to get the most out of the experience, you don't have any choice but to roll up mental abilities for more dialogue opportunities, which is the only selling point of the game, imo. Other systems are also really weak, which makes exploration and battling (and any other side activity) boring. You find things, but they barely affect anything, at least I didn't feel much effect. I believe the only way to love this experience is being really invested in the uniqueness of the world. In my case, it didn't do much for me and I couldn't really compensate the shortcomings I listed above with anything.

Furthest I got is when I added Fall-From-Grace to the party. Lower Ward it was? This time I dropped when I heard Pharod asking me to freaking retrieve something for him... I can't take it anymore.

Also, this game made me question if I even like reading or listen to what people have to say.

Last edited:
The game just rarely builds up any intrigue. Side quests are chore most of the time. RPG mechanic is barely there outside alignment system and if you want to get the most out of the experience, you don't have any choice but to roll up mental abilities for more dialogue opportunities, which is the only selling point of the game, imo. Other systems are also really weak, which makes exploration and battling (and any other side activity) boring. You find things, but they barely affect anything, at least I didn't feel much effect. I believe the only way to love this experience is being really invested in the uniqueness of the world. In my case, it didn't do much for me and I couldn't really compensate the shortcomings I listed above with anything.

Furthest I got is when I added Fall-From-Grace to the party. Lower Ward it was? This time I dropped when I heard Pharod asking me to freaking retrieve something for him... I can't take it anymore.

Also, this game made me question if I even like reading or listen to what people have to say.

PS:T uses the DnD basic rule set, similar to Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but a bit more limited. The combat itself works well enough, but it doesn't stand out. What does make PS:T unique is its narrative, which is one of the strongest in any game I have played (and I have played a lot). It's not just the story, but the world and the characters that bring the story to life. Your party is a mix of some of the most original individuals, each with their own agenda. The antagonists are well-written too and how it ties into the final battle with the choices you'll have to make. This is a game about consequences and finding yourself. There are, however, two issues with the game.

The first issue most people have is the amount of text they'll have to read. I am not a fan myself, but a lot of the text is actually well written and not random filler crap. Nowadays, players want excitement and they do not have the patience for games like PS:T.

Another issue is that the game doesn't spell anything out for you. You can finish the main story and actually still know nothing about the world and its inhabitants. There are actually a lot of interesting quests hidden away, including those about your own party tackling friendship, betrayal and love. Some playable characters are even hidden and can easily be missed.

TL;DR: PS:T is a game with a strong story and an original cast set in a unique world. There is no game like this. Also, when talking about PS:T I have to mention:

rpgs.jpg

More text isn't necessarily better. Just because you can ask an NPC a dozen of questions and read a few pages of replies, doesn't mean it's a good gameplay mechanic. Nearly every NPC in PST is a wikipedia article, they have so much to explain to you. And it's not my defense of present day RPGs. I'm saying that other RPGs from "then" did it better. Though perhaps it's the reason I don't play visual novels. If I want to read a book, I'll read a book.

Guest 4368268

Mafia: Definitive Edition, having a great time thus far

More text isn't necessarily better. Just because you can ask an NPC a dozen of questions and read a few pages of replies, doesn't mean it's a good gameplay mechanic. Nearly every NPC in PST is a wikipedia article, they have so much to explain to you. And it's not my defense of present day RPGs. I'm saying that other RPGs from "then" did it better. Though perhaps it's the reason I don't play visual novels. If I want to read a book, I'll read a book.

PS:T is a different sort of game. People conditioned to the modern ARPG may find it boring. Disco Elysium is about the only game released in recent memory fitting a similar style (that I've played). It arguably hasn't aged as well as it could have. It's possible it's just not your thing. No big deal :).

On a completely random and unrelated note.... That moment when you orchestrate a convoluted plan to get three mechs in position to smash one undamanged assault mech and your SLDF Highlander unexpectedly makes the proverbial head of the snake disappear with a well placed Gauss Rifle round. Thus rendering your tactical masterpiece completely moot..... I've never been hardcore into Battletech but boy does this type of thing make the notion understandable.

Nothing now. I'm in a mood to play a good RPG, but looking through my catalogue of games nothing really interest me. So I'm trying to keep myself entertained with interactive novels right now. I just hope October flies by, so at the very least I can sink my teeth into AC: Valhalla.

Guest 3847602

Another issue is that the game doesn't spell anything out for you. You can finish the main story and actually still know nothing about the world and its inhabitants. There are actually a lot of interesting quests hidden away, including those about your own party tackling friendship, betrayal and love. Some playable characters are even hidden and can easily be missed.
It's not only about spelling everything out. You can pay attention as much as you want, but you're still going to miss a whole hell of a lot unless you play as high WIS, high INT mage. Not sure if I'd call this thing the objective flaw, but I can see how it can make PST less interesting for someone who doesn't follow the game's unwritten rule.

I am playing Dishonored 2, and love it! I have this odd feeling that Cyberpunk may have a similar feeling in a way to this game. Oddly enough, even though it's set in the mid-1800s and Cyberpunk is set in the future, they both have that dystopian darker "meaner" punk feeling to them. I also think secrets and hidden areas will be really similar, along with other elements.

CIv 5, a bit of Deus Ex: HR and I was playing System Shock 2 until the F*#$@cking spiders!

Top Bottom