What game are you currently playing

+
I really am enjoying far cry 4 their multiplayer 5v5 is impressive as well as the nice co op option which makes the game a whole lot easier in a way.

I am back to playing EVE Online...

For thsoe that give a monkeys:

My Alliance moved to nullsec (Providence specifically.)
Our allianced basically disolved into one corporation and merged into another alliance we were allied with (giving us better standings with CVA who basically own Providence, and a much better political platform.)
I now join PVP fleets almost every day and have huge amounts of fun doing so, (all funded by my mini-industrial-empire.)

I am back to playing EVE Online...

For thsoe that give a monkeys:

My Alliance moved to nullsec (Providence specifically.)
Our allianced basically disolved into one corporation and merged into another alliance we were allied with (giving us better standings with CVA who basically own Providence, and a much better political platform.)
I now join PVP fleets almost every day and have huge amounts of fun doing so, (all funded by my mini-industrial-empire.)

wow Chris is here :hatsoff: were have you been?

Just finished South Park The Stick of Truth.

It was fun. Not something I'm going to go back to any time soon, but it was lighthearted and had just about the right length (around 15 hours with a calm pace and some looking around) for a game like that before it starts to become a chore and I like the over the top SP humor.

So, well... I guess I'm not playing it "currently" afterall as per thread title...

SOUNDS LIKE BAN TIME TO ME.

Still playing DAI. Wish I had time for WoW and Thief. Gotta start the Withcer 2 playthrough in a month, too.

You should ban yourself for playing DAI more than an hour if I've undestood the game correctly. :p

How wrong can I be with all the evidence around? :)

You should ban yourself for playing DAI more than an hour if I've undestood the game correctly. :p

How wrong can I be with all the evidence around? :)

It's a lot of fun. Just talked to a friend of mine, also a big fan of RPGs, he put Wasteland aside, ( a backer, of course), to play DAI. Same for my kids, all three.

If you don't have any Bioware hate or Modern RPG hate in you, haven't prejudged the game and, you know, are actually trying to play it rather than just talking about how bad it is, it's a pretty damn good game.

It's a pretty damn good game.

This^

It's a lot of fun. Just talked to a friend of mine, also a big fan of RPGs, he put Wasteland aside, ( a backer, of course), to play DAI. Same for my kids, all three.

If you don't have any Bioware hate or Modern RPG hate in you, haven't prejudged the game and, you know, are actually trying to play it rather than just talking about how bad it is, it's a pretty damn good game.

Yeah, this is true. It is just a fashionable trope to put out the all too common dislike of a certain product, And it is often just too tempting to put them out.

People like what they like, and people also dislike what they do. Although, it is always healthy to look at what you like or dislike with a critical eye if not for anything else but to evaluate ones own prejudice.

People like what they like, and people also dislike what they do. Although, it is always healthy to look at what you like or dislike with a critical eye if not for anything else but to evaluate ones own prejudice.

So true.

And I'm grappling with the horrible thought I might not like TB RPGs as much as I did. This is an issue, since after W3 and CP2077, my most anticipated games are PoE and Torment.

Maybe I now like racing games and just don't know it?

So true.

And I'm grappling with the horrible thought I might not like TB RPGs as much as I did. This is an issue, since after W3 and CP2077, my most anticipated games are PoE and Torment.

Maybe I now like racing games and just don't know it?

And only Torment is turnbased from that duo and it's not a combat heavy game (gladly so), and aside from that there's not much to look for anyway when it comes to TB games since nobody makes them (for a reason or two, which is of course a grand shame).

I'd probaböy anticipate even a TB racing game if someone managed to come up with an interesting mechanic for it. I just like the dynamic of getting to do my action based on the opponets' and seeing what the opponent does as a response to evaluate my next move, and so on.

Last edited:
And only Torment is turnbased from that duo and it's not a combat heavy game (gladly so), and aside from that there's not much to look for anyway when it comes to TB games since nobody makes them (for a reason or two, which is of course a grand shame).

I'd probaböy anticipate even a TB racing game if someone managed to come up with an interesting mechanic for it. I just like the dynamic of getting to do my action based on the opponets' and seeing what the opponent does as a response to evaluate my next move, and so on.

Well, Real Time With Pause is pretty similar to TB for me - it lacks a certain urgency. Still, DAI is RTP and that's pretty fun.

You know, I'm only surprised and worried because I didn't fall in love with Wland2. And that's one of the best RPGs I've seen in quite some time. I just found the combat so boring and the lack of a central character too disruptive to how I like to game.

I still like Shadowrun Returns, though.

Well, Real Time With Pause is pretty similar to TB for me - it lacks a certain urgency. Still, DAI is RTP and that's pretty fun.

You know, I'm only surprised and worried because I didn't fall in love with Wland2. And that's one of the best RPGs I've seen in quite some time. I just found the combat so boring and the lack of a central character too disruptive to how I like to game.

I still like Shadowrun Returns, though.

There's a world of difference to me between RTwP and TB. I've always considered RTwP to be passable at best.

Wasteland 2 has its flaws. One of them is that it promises pretty much from the outset, yet a lions share of the game you spend in combat while the other aspects are of lesser focus. In some other forum there was a good analogy for a comparison to Fallout (which is still the best RPG I've ever played alongside of Fallout 2): "In Fallout you explore the world and its reactivity and you can kick some ass while doing that if you want to. In Wasteland 2, you kick ass and can explore the world and its reactivity if you want to." I think that analogy fits to great many other games too... you can replace Wasteland 2 there with TES, Witcher, D:OS, DA:I, Fallout 3, and so on and it still holds true... though hopefully it'll not end up the case with CP2077.

I think you're right, although I'm not sure I'd include FO3 on the list - stealth made a lot of combat avoidable, iirc. Also Stealth Boys.

I really find the amount of combat and it's necessity a drawback in WL2 - especially compared to even an RPG-Lite game like DXHR where you could avoid nearly every fight in the game!

I think a lot of people would enjoy RTP and RT combat in RPGs more if they just worked on the damn AI and tactical complexity. If you were encouraged to and rewarded for clever tactical thinking beyond "flank them and take cover" mechanic, combat would be a lot more mentally interesting to people that are less interested in how fast they can press a mouse button while flicking from target to target and more in, "Can I use my Special Ability to collapse that wall those guys are in front of..ooohh! I did...and they scattered, but then two of them used the fallen wall for cover and one of them used his Special Ability/Gear/Whatever to ignite chunks of the wall and fire it at me! Very cool! Hmm. Now I have to deploy my stealth melee to eliminate him while scuttling from cover to cover..."

Lots more fun.

I think you're right, although I'm not sure I'd include FO3 on the list - stealth made a lot of combat avoidable, iirc. Also Stealth Boys.

I really find the amount of combat and it's necessity a drawback in WL2 - especially compared to even an RPG-Lite game like DXHR where you could avoid nearly every fight in the game!

I think a lot of people would enjoy RTP and RT combat in RPGs more if they just worked on the damn AI and tactical complexity. If you were encouraged to and rewarded for clever tactical thinking beyond "flank them and take cover" mechanic, combat would be a lot more mentally interesting to people that are less interested in how fast they can press a mouse button while flicking from target to target and more in, "Can I use my Special Ability to collapse that wall those guys are in front of..ooohh! I did...and they scattered, but then two of them used the fallen wall for cover and one of them used his Special Ability/Gear/Whatever to ignite chunks of the wall and fire it at me! Very cool! Hmm. Now I have to deploy my stealth melee to eliminate him while scuttling from cover to cover..."

Lots more fun.

Stealth (in FO3 and many other games), the way I see it, is pretty much related to combat because it is most of the time an active measure to avoid it rather than avoid the other forms of consequence. Most often you use stealth to get past enemies (that you could beat but don't bother to) in a cave. Now, it is different in games that are purely (Thief) or to a large extent (Hitman, Deus Ex) based on stealth, those experiences are built around that. And I most often prefer stealth based games over combat based, but in multifaceted RPG's it is normally used as a mean to just avoid combat to reach the goal you would even if you did fight the way.

RTwP can be fun, but was invented (as far as I know) to speed up TB combat, to create a compromise between H&S and TB, and is a poor substitute to either.

How do you play Fallout 1 and 2 without kicking ass??

The way I remember it, all I did was kicking ass and utter funny one liners.

You can very much play a combat-inept character and reach great success (and most importantly, gain an alternative experience that is actually supported by the game by intent rather than by accident). Most players will consentrate on combat skills because it is greatly beneficial, but you can make do with only a little or even no focus at them (even with it being that if you don't invest in combat skills, it makes a world of difference in the experience -- unlike games of today where skills are mostly just slight buffs to a pre-existing talent rather than measurements of the actual ability as a whole).

The combat in Fallout is fun even if not the best TB set up out there (far from it). It's not taxing or overwhelming as a feature and the oneliners, the text descriptions and the death animations are totally awesome. How it is made goes a long way to say that "this is not the main feature of the game" and that's what makes it even better because the player can even out the focus on how he builds the character. Fallout is one of the best games out there to properly emulate a comprehensve tabletop experience in a virtual setup.

Last edited:
As much as I love all aspects of RPG's, combat has always been one of the things I always liked the most... alongside creating characters, leveling up my character, and getting new loot and gear to essentially "level up" my character that way to. Those 4 aspects (and probably a few other things) have always been what I liked the most. So I don't really have all that much problems with games like Wasteland 2, or Fallout Tactics, Mass Effect to I guess, and other games, being more combat heavy. I mean heck... out of all the Fallout games I have played over the years, Fallout Tactics is the one I have come back to the most. I think partly the reason for that is also due to that I do like party based RPG games, which I think comes from all those years of me being a console gamer playing loads and loads of Final Fantasy, Suikoden, and other simmilar types of games... Plus that I also play pen and paper rpg's, where I personally feel that if your fewer then 3 players (4 with the gamemaster) then it does not really work that well to play (unfortunatly my pnp rpg group has been only 3 people total for the past 10 or so years. :( luckily that is seeming to change within the next month, where 2 of us are merging with 4 other people to play the latest edition (4th) of a Swedish Fantasy pnp rpg called Eon that I helped crowdfund this summer... it's a game which I have played since late 96 when the first edition came out, it is the most advanced and realistic, not to mention highly deadly in (and out of) combat, pnp rpg game I have ever played).

Anywho... I have not played much games in the past week or so... instead I have done something closelly related to playing games... I have spent a fair bit of time creating multiple test characters for the Eon IV pnp rpg... it's awesome! Just like it's previous editions. In Eon IV you could try creating the exact same character multiple times, but each time the character would be different... usually in several and pretty drastic ways (even more so then the 3 previous versions of the game). It's due to that from the point you start creating your character you have to go through at the very least 7-9 mandatory random result rolls on a D100, on up to 5 different tables that all include 100 different results, and on top of that you might get to roll on several other random roll tables on either a D10 or a D100 (although these do usually not include 100 results, maybe half or more roughly). And thanks to that a story emerges as you create your character. Again, it's awesome. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom