What got you into Cyberpunk first.

+
I think my interest on Cyberpunk originated back in late 80's with the Bubblegum Crisis shows. and from there it went to AD Police files a spin-off from that, Followed by ghost in the shell

Ghost in the Shell. I would play Cyberpunk 2020 a couple of months later, while visiting Poland.

Tieco

Forum regular
Funny thing, I was doing a study abroad in Japan in the late 80s and someone asked if I wanted to play. So we had a bunch of Euros, living in Japan, RPing Americans, trying to collect some cool cyber from.. Japan.

BG Crisis... really had fun writing up the girls' suits using Maximum Metal...

1989 - a friend of mine from University showed me Cyberpunk 2013. I made a panzerboy because I'd just read Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired.

Going home on the bus that night, I saw Vancouver stretched out around me, glittering like diamonds.

Pretty much addicted after that.

Shadowrun Returns and the rest of the modern Shadowruns. Then came Ghost in the Shell and it's philosophy, then Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided.

Plus the real life evolution of technology and devolution of man's character.

Not sure, I think that I've been more attracted by cyberpunk culture unconsciously. When I think about what I've seen or read, Akira, Blame!, Gunnm and other cp-esque universes come to mind first.

But I guess it came along the 2000's. I really realized my love for cyberpunk genre when a friend of mine presented me the game Deus Ex, twenty years ago. I guess this is officially when it started, lol.

Much later, I read Neuromancer, just about two years ago. It was quite good honestly! I don't read much, and I know I should try more books. Sooner or later I gotta read "Cyberspace/cyberbodies/cyberpunk"...
Post automatically merged:

Akira, me and my brothers found it as kids. I couldnt understand the plot at the time but God damn the music told me everything I needed.

Same for me with Blade Runner. I was too young to get the plot, but the rest was just fascinating. Now I can watch this film twice a year LOL

Sild

Ex-moderator
Good question!

For me, there wasn't a particular moment or a specific book or game. Growing up, I used to watch a LOT of action movies starring Arnold and Stallone, it just so happens that among those were some very good, very.. Cyberpunk inclined movies.

Running Man, Judge Dredd, Terminator, Robo Cop, Demolition Man, Total Recall, The Matrix, ExistenZ... The list goes on..

Also Trigun and to a lesser extent Cowboy Bebop.

My interest in the established genre is rather new, but the themes are not. :)

Last edited:
I've been playing PnP RPGs since 1975 (good old D&D in the white box) and since many of my friends are also into RPGs (probably why they're friends, similar interests) we've tried many, if not most, of the PnP RPGs available at one point or another.

It's not so much about the rulesets (tho character agency is VITAL to an RPG) but setting.

Different genre's, different combat systems (sword & sorcery combat vs battlemechs vs 20th century), different core concepts (personal wealth & fame, save the universe, survive & prosper), etc. All add interesting "twists" to the character centric game-play fundamentals.

And I could go on for hours about instances where I and other players did things based solely on our characters perspective of right/wrong normal/abnormal that in-real-life we'd never do,

Last edited:
The original Blade Runner is what got me into Cyberpunk. My friend recommended that I watch the film, and after that, I was hooked.

That and Neuromancer by William Gibson is what made me get into the genre.

I was only ever into the aesthetic after watching Blade Runner. I still think that movie has a shit story and shit pacing, but its visuals are on another level. Once i started reading the literature...I wasn't that invested, because it was so full of neologisms in the case of Gibson's work. He's actually not a good writer imo. Then I read Hard Wired by Jon Williams, which is fantastic and then Altered Carbon, which is also great. Along the way I played games like Dues EX and Hard Reset. I was just addicted to the Cyberpunk setting at that point. The idea of an open world cyberpunk RPG was so set in my brain I mentioned it on their TW2 forums, saying CDPR would be the perfect company for the task. This was before they had announced 2077.

Last edited:

Guest 4211861

Escape from LA

escape-from-la_222971.jpg

Also, I thought Blade Runner sucked.

Blade Runner, GitS, Judge Dredd (to degree), Syndicate+, Deus Ex, and of course CP2020.

Those are what I remember. There were also a bunch of 70's and 80's CP themed B-movies that I liked as a kid that had an influence, but I can't remember them.

Last edited:
Akira was the first anime and the first cyberpunk-ish movie I ever saw. Loaned it as a VHS and it blew my mind. My world was never the same again, as until that point the only animated movies I had seen were Disney movies.

The Neuromancer trilogy as books followed close, along with Masamune Shirow mangas Appleseed and Ghost in the shell.

ps. In fact just the Manga video intro at the beginning of the VHS blew my mind

from the original Shadow run game on Genesis ? never forgot the world that game existed in. Never finished the game, but never forgot the world either .

It was beautiful and raw, everything about it was fascinating and scary at the same time .

Looking forward to see if Cyberpunk the game will have that sense of wonder too...

Believe it or not, but it started with Star Wars. Specifically with the expanded universe or legends, that's when you kinda really see bits of the cyberpunk vibe. I've seen films like Robocop, Demolition Man, Johnny Mnemonic, Running Man, Total Recall and lots of terrible B movies from the '80s and '90s and none really hit the nail on the head like the early animes and, of course, Blade Runner.

Cyber City OEDO 808 with Manga dub and soundtrack.

Then there was Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner and Escape from New York...

Well, I'm a Keanu Reeves fan and I'll say this game was pretty marketed well since 2012. :p It's been a while and I really hope this is worth the long wait!

Top Bottom